Anyone with horses living out rugging yet?

winchester

Visit site
My old mare lives out - she was shivering last year in the rain so she started to be rugged from end of August.

Been keeping an eye on her and looks well at the moment but dont know whether to start now - as the weather is turning!

Anyone else have the same problem? Are you rugging yet?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Yep, my top pony drops weight easily so he's been rugged throughout the summer if it's been cold and wet and my other playing pony has had one on as well if it's been cold and wet so she stays clean!

maree t

Visit site
I have to confess that we have started bringing our wimp in at night. He is being rugged during the day if it is wet. We hung on last year (first year we had had him) and waited for him to grow a nice thick coat like the others (he is a NF x cob ) but he never did and started to really feel the cold. This year we accept that there is no field shelter and very exposed at the moment so he gets snuggled up at night. He will stay out if it drys up a bit though.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Mine are currently coming in during day and out at night (unless weather really bad then they stay in for the night:eek:)

Mine have been rugged with l/w pretty much all August as my TB feels the cold when wet. He now started wearing sheet under the l/w at night and a sheet in the stable.

If this weather continues it may be early clipping :(

Vetwrap

Visit site
The boys are in lightweight turnouts. They are looking and feeling well and I will be keeping them out as much as possible, to keep the older boys mobile. They will be in at night through the worst of the winter, but I would like to think that we can keep them out overnight until the end of October at least.

We'll see what the weather does to us!

bumblelion

Visit site
My idXwb is unrugged and will be until it really drops in temp with rain! My wimpy tb though is in a lw at night with no fill and has been in it the past few days due to this weather. It's not been awfully cold but when it's this windy and persistent rain he does shiver unrugged! I did put him in his fly rug this am though, changed it at lunch time back to lw as the wind picked up and could see the rain coming!! They're both out 24/7 and will be until october time, weather depending!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
My oldie (27) is unrugged, he doesn't like being rugged but my TB has had a lightweight on for several weeks now to try keep him dry in this vile weather.

MardyMare

Visit site
Mine are rugged on and off all year depending on weather. The 19yr TB and the 12yr TB are both wimps and both in mediums atm at night if raining / windy. The warmblood mare has a l/w on at night. Its this time of year I manage to actually get her weight under control. Yesterday we had howling winds and rain and the old boy kept his m/w on all day! I think he is probably ready to come in at night but wont like staying in all night on his own.

trotter259

Visit site
My wimp of an ISH, who drops weight like a stone, has been wearing his rain sheet (Amigo 600) for the past couple of weeks at night. It's been a little chilly around recently and the rain just makes him shiver.

I am trying not to over rug to let him adapt a little better, but it's not working!!

BeckyCandy

Visit site
My old mare (Dales) has had to be rugged after i found her knees knocking together looking very sorry for herself last night. Bit of a shock and shes finally starting to show her old age shes normally very hardy and can go til oct/nov unrugged :(

Dizzydancer

Visit site
my TB is out in lw amigo, just as a wind breaker and stop the rain, he has had that on or his top half water proof fly rug on nearly the entire summer.
My old boy has had his lw on now for about 2 weeks although some days he has it off if its nice even for a few hours.

Kenzo

Visit site
I put Mr M's on on Sunday, as it seems to be getting quite chilly on a night, not that he's be cold but I don't want him fluffing up just yet, it's only a thin rain sheet so just keeps the draft and rain off a bit.

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
My 30yo is out 24/7 with no rug, but she'll probably start coming in at the beginning of October. My cob and shetland are both too fat to rug!:D

My friend has just yesterday put a lightweight on her 30yo, that is out with mine, but it's 4 degrees warmer in a morning this week, than it was last week, so I don't think she's helping him really.

Plus they often colder with l/w rugs on, as the rug flattens down the hair so they cannot trap any warm air next to their skin.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Yep!! Wimpy (B) and Lottie (who is 31), are in lightweights during the day and mids at night though Lotts is currently in at night baby sitting the new boy, just for this week as our grass is very rich and I didn't want him to get tummy ache. New boy will be out in his lightweight with neck untill it gets a little colder, trying to draw line between too much fat and too much fur!

posie_honey

Visit site
mine lives out 24/7 365 (have no stable so literally never comes in!)

she's currently in a 200gm full neck over night - then whatever suits during day - ie today she's still in it as gales and rain - doh!

she has a chronic fear of clippers so needs full vet sedation (2.5 times normal amount to knock a horse out - yes she is speshal :rolleyes:) so i try to keep her coat as thin as poss

FoxTrotx

Visit site
I've been rugging my dwb at night for a couple of weeks now after I couldn't actually get her to walk back to the field one rainy evening :eek: so I chucked a rainsheet on her and she, very begrudgingly, went out into the field but sulked by the hedge. Luckily she will graze now if she is wearing a rug in the rain but still looks longingly over her stable door every evening, hoping lol.
She was kept stabled 24/7 when I got her though so I suppose shes just got to get used to the fact that she might get a bit wet some days :eek:

Jzee

Visit site
Both in their 100 gs since this weekend - autumn arrived overnight didn't it! Brrrr - plus they are both poofs

nikCscott

Visit site
Both my WB and Welsh A are still out 24/7 without rugs as they are still sharing with a rug destroyer! Welsh is getting fluffy but WB is still in his summer coat but he could do with losing a bit of his chubbyness so not overly concerned for another week. Friday week we move to new yard close to home with stables and no other horses so will be rugged 24/7 in varying combination to suit conditions and in from 4pm-9am at night.

They been in grass livery for 5 months now and having a stable, a yard to tie up on, a tack and feed room- it's going to feel like luxury. I can't wait to warm bath them then rug up :D

milesjess

Visit site
Mines out during the day with lightweight on and in of a night... I moved him to a new yard hoping to keep him out over night but he really doesn't like the rain and ends up tearing around the field until he's brought in :rolleyes: Other then that I haven't rugged mine up.

Few others on the yard are still living out unrugged at the moment.

competitiondiva

Visit site
2 out of 3 rugged day and night currently, though i did take them off for a couple of days last week when it suddenly went warm again. They have their 40-50g rugs on, though have actually replaced one today with a 100g!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Crikey no. No rugs yet. 2 oldies and 2 youngsters, all four are very well (!), and have loads of hedges and trees around the field to duck under. I'll keep an eye on them but generally I don't rug until they ask for it or the temperature drops under 5 degrees at night.

Faithkat

Visit site
Mine has had a "raincoat" on for the last couple of days as we have had some torrential rain and the restricted grazing she is on is at the opposite end of the field from where the best shelter is; but I have taken it off today.