Anyone's horses clipped and still living out?

Stenners

Visit site
I'm hoping to clip my horse later today but she's still living out but I feel a bit mean! Just wondering if any of yours are clipped and out?

jsprince

Visit site
I had a horse who sadly died earlier this year, who was a Boulonnais - french heavy horse breed.

Every year winter time rain or shine she was clipped apart from legs and saddle patch, she lived out all winter every year in just a rain sheet or no rug , this horse was seriously a little inferno the vet couldn't believe how well she did on just ad-lib hay and grass.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Nope. Mine is hunter clipped and living in. But all of ours have been in all year round. It depends on the clip. Anything more than a trace and I'd say bring them in. But if you have good warm rugs then they should be OK. But I'd never leave anything with a high trace/ blanket clip out personally.

Stenners

Visit site
She's a Cob cross and lived out all winter last year unclipped as she was turned away. She's usually clipped by now but she's also usually in by now but as its so mild I've kept her out! She will have a full clip as gets so hot when ridden but she doesn't get too cold easily so would out a heavy rug on her if temp drops at all

frostyfingers

Visit site
My TB has a hunter clip (including head) and lives out 24/7, he comes in for the night before hunting but apart from that prefers life out, after hunting I keep him in until he's dry and clean then he goes out. He generally wears a Snuggy Turn Out Hood and an Amigo medium weight with neck cover - if it's really cold I put a heavy wieght Weatherbeeta Orican on, and layer up further if necessary. He has mild COPD, plus back issues so he's much better off outside. He has a big field and access to the stable but generally prefers to be out all the time. My only concession is that in an attempt to ward off mud fever I intend to bring him onto the yard during the bulk of the day - it's quite a big area with access to the stable so he'll still be mostly out. With efficient rugs, good food and shelter I don't think there's any huge need to stable them but obviously the amount of grazing and the state of the field you have has a bearing on what you do.

Stenners

Visit site
She's happier out too unless it's really bad, I bring her in if there's been a lot of wind and rain and if field gets wet as she has no access to a shelter but currently plenty of grass so I'd but a Weatherbeeta Orican on for when it gets colder at night and a medium weight during the day?

Annagain

Visit site
Mine isn't clipped yet, but I have done this in the past - usually just for a few weeks until the weather turns and then he comes in. He too is a very warm horse and has always done very well staying out, he's never lost weight and always plenty warm enough. I'd do it and keep an eye on her, you can always bring her in if she's not happy.

Or could you trace clip her now and then do a full when the weather turns and she comes in?

MrsNorris

Visit site
My cob has a full clip and is still out, rugged appropriately of course, but I will bring him in when the weather is really bad. Not that he cares as long as he has enough food, but it makes me feel better!

Stenners

Visit site
Yep she will only be out for a week or 2 I expect as she will come in from bonfire night and I'd hold off but she's taking so long to dry off after being ridden.

HBB

Visit site
Both my cobs have blanket clips and are still out at night. They are both rugged up accordingly and only come in at night if it is prolonged rain. They get far to hot in their stables, even if I leave their rugs off, both stables are open fronted. Every horse is different and it comes down to individual management of each.

turkana

Visit site
With the right rug & decent turn out I'm happy to have a clipped horse living out, I've wintered out several horses (including TBs, anglo arabs, Tb crosses & a hanovarian) clipped out, with head & legs left on.
About 4 years ago (the winter when it snowed early so we had a white Christmas) I bought an under weight TB who lived out all winter blanket clipped in a heavy weight turn out, she absolutely flouished & put on quite a lot of weight over the winter.
I've never had a thin horse at the end of the winter as they seem to do well living out

Toffee44

Visit site
Welsh cob x hackney with Irish dealer clip living out in standard MW or rug off if no rain or wind. She's rather round though and too well covered now on good grass again. Hard feed = chaff + sprinkle of oats + supplements ( pink powder and biotin)

ihatework

Visit site
Many Horses are absolutely fine to live out clipped (even full/hunter clips), provided they are rugged appropriately.

Much healthier for them to be worked comfortably, dried off easily and then rugged.

miss_c

Visit site
Genie is clipped out including legs and head and out at night at the moment. I rug according to weather and she's much happier than when she's stabled, although she'll be coming in at some point in the next month for the winter. She's a naturally 'hot' horse which helps I think.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
My hunter is clipped fully out & lives out all winter, they occasionally come in the night before hunting if it's vile weather, or the night after if they've got very cold & wet or we're late home, ATM he's wearing a thing cotton sheet (easy to wash) under a mw turnout, as the winter progresses he'll have up to two stable rugs under a hw turnout,

My childrens ponies both have chaser clips & will live out all winter, currently they are in lwt rugs, but will upgrade to mw later in the winter

Turks

Visit site
For years we have hunter clipped with half or full heads clipped and they nearly all prefer to be out. We have lots of grazing which is key but when we gave them access to yard and barn the only thing that would really drive them in was flies! With better fly sheets they don't even get that bothered to come in. When its a bit miserable they much prefer a hedge. We just rug accordingly. I hate to see horses standing in stables for hours. The only thing I find that helps is the mud fever!

LKKB

Visit site
My arab x appy currently has a chaser clip and is out in a rainsheet ( and coming in toasty!). He will be upgraded to a 100g when it drops to 3-5 degrees.

It's still 14 degrees in Aberdeen, bloody tropical!!

Moomin1

Visit site
My CB x type mare was fully clipped a few weeks ago and has been living out 24/7 since. I had a baby two weeks ago so had no option but to leave her out at night for the time being, but she's been absolutely fine with the right rugs on. That being said, she's a good doer, and quite a 'warm' horse anyway. I am moving her to a new yard in a week, and she will come in at nights from then.

rara007

Visit site
Yup, we have 3 that were full clipped in September, 2 living out unrugged, one rugged. Two blanket clipped last week, living out lightly rugged. They all have more hair than my unclipped PBA! (also living out, rugged)

Kikke

Visit site
Our big boy is clipped out year round and lives out year round, just has a rainsheet on at present and very happy! Every horse is different but there are plenty that would be happy as larry doing so.

MissTyc

Visit site
Mine are all hunter clipped and living out 24/7.
I think in this modern age of modern rug textiles, it's no problem at all ... I check/change rugs morning and evening and they are snug and happy. At the moment in mediumweight as it's still fairly warm down south, their unclipped counterparts are naked or in rain sheets still.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Yep, bib or low trace clip, live out 24/7, currently naked and will be rugged when needed (winter weather at its coldest/wettest only). Lots of hedges and field shelter.

corriehorse

Visit site
Mine's got a high trace clip and is out 24/7. She is rugged accordingly, which so far has been a maximum of a slight fill lightweight with neckcover. She's spent quite a few days unrugged as it is still so mild. She has access to her stable at all times, and is spending less time in there since she's been clipped!

mirage

Visit site
One of mine is.She lives out 24/7 as won't be stabled,so normally isn't clipped.But the past 2 years she has got really sweaty over winter due to lots of x country/hunting,so she has had a hunter clip this year.I have built her a lovely field shelter which she refuses to go into,and does her best to remove any rug if she thinks she can.I went down during Monday's storm to find her as far from the shelter as she could get,but under the hedge and trees,which surrounded her on 3 sides.She knows her own mind,that one!