Anyone's horses clipped and still living out?

Pebble101

Visit site
2 hunter clipped, and 1 full clip all lliving out 24/7 in LW rugs. Perfectly warm and happy.

My horse was hunter clipped before he retired and lived out 24/7. He now lives out unrugged but I do find these warmer days are too warm for him. My other horse has a chaser clip and was a bit hot tonight with his l/w rug on - he lives out 24/7 too.

Visit site
We still have a few fully fully clipped, bar half head and legs, fit racehorses living out with rugs on to keep them warm. They will come in overnight when the weather gets really bad but it is better for them to live out.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Yes, hunter clipped, ISH, lives out all winter, mostly in a sheet with neck cover, ad lib hay, two feeds a day. Copes fine.

Sparkles

Visit site
Yes, minus head and legs. It's not really too cold yet and he's rugged up accordingly, adlib forage and a very sheltered big field :)

orionstar

Visit site
Its consistently been over 10 degrees this month. My WBxTB has a neck and bib and is still in a light weight and she will be out 24/7 through the whole of winter. When in actually gets cold, the rug depth will increase, as will her hard feed, and she has ad lib round bail hay all winter. In fact when I put my hand underneath her rug tonight it was warmer than what I'd have wanted!

hoggedmane

Visit site
Nearly all the horses at the yard my mare lives at are out 24/7 clipped or not. As long as they are rugged accordingly they are perfectly happy and look exceedingly well. some compete from the field, some are ex racehorses and some (like my mare) are oldies. They look fab and are much happier out. Mine is 24 and lived out last winter fully clipped in heavyweight rug. She is much much happier out and always warm and toasty.

Visit site
My Appy is fully clipped (since this week) except for legs and is still out 24/7 as much as poss although he comes in when the weather is bad. He is wearing a heavyweight combo rug when out and is lovely and warm. I don't see any problem with horses who are fully clipped and live out as long as they are rugged up correctly.

whizzer

Visit site
Mines got neck & belly clipped out,will be living out this winter. Been clipped for a month now & rugged. Only got 100g rug on at the moment as its so mild but will be rugged more over winter when it's colder. Poor doer,tb type,1st winter of being out 24/7 but thrives being out so I'm pretty sure he'll cope very well with it.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Nell has a sort of blanket clip now, started as an apron and needed a bit more off, not sure the clip has a name :)
However she always lives out, as long as they are rugged accordingly i think any clipped horse can live out...

JustKickOn

Visit site
1 hunter clip, 2 with bib clips and 1 not clipped, all living out still and staying out for as long as possible.
All rugged as per their requirements, and all fine, fit and healthy!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Yep, have three with hunter clips (half faces) and one with full clip - the lot off! they all live out 24/7 padded up with lots of rugs when it gets very cold. They have lots of shelter and too much grass so they are happy :D been like this past couple winters and they like it, they do come in during the day unless it's their day off.

Emmamartin

New User
Visit site
My cob is fully clipped living out with a medium weight combo on, however he is clipped all year round because he doesn't get a summer coat so it is normal for him haha. Clipped my little native today, only gave her a chaser clip as my blades weren't overly sharp and she is now out in a lightweight rug, I tend to play it by ear as I'm soon going to notice if they have been getting cold :) every horse is different though :)

Tern

Visit site
Welsh D lives out 24/7 last year with a "Dealer's Clip" (Withers to halfway bottom of stomach) and this year she will get a hunter because I can't do straight lines.. She will be out 24/7 for a while then start coming in at night.

NZJenny

Visit site
Yes, most horses in New Zealand live out all year around and mine are no exception. If they are being ridden through the winter, I will trace clip and then rug accordingly. Situation normal here.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
It seems like I'm the only one who brings mine in on here (she's hunter clipped with half the face). But my best friend brings her blanket clipped gelding in, and a few people in the village. Ours love going in their stables, they're all stabled all year round. They just stand waiting to be let in from 5:00pm (in winter) - 6:30pm (in spring/ summer), you don't even need to lead them in, just leave their stable doors open, and in they go! Our mares love being in, you can leave their stable doors open and they'll just stay happily in their stable munching on their hay.

vallin

Visit site
Mine has a full clip (including legs) and is still living out and it just in a rain sheet. She's always toasty (I check ears, armpits and under rug) and hates being over rugged (pulls faces and tries to pull the rug off if you put a heavy rug on). You just have to be sensible a clip/rug according to need.

Moya_999

Visit site
I'm hoping to clip my horse later today but she's still living out but I feel a bit mean! Just wondering if any of yours are clipped and out?

I would either do a
bib and belly
or dealer
Irish clip
or just bib
or just belly

I don't like seeing horses with knickers clipped off when they need them for warmth when they turn their bum into the wind.

So many don't clip for the horses exercise regime or living condition and over clip horses who have so much hair removed for the one hr exercise per day that IMO.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I would either do a
bib and belly
or dealer
Irish clip
or just bib
or just belly

I don't like seeing horses with knickers clipped off when they need them for warmth when they turn their bum into the wind.

So many don't clip for the horses exercise regime or living condition and over clip horses who have so much hair removed for the one hr exercise per day that IMO.

I agree.
Some people just take the lot off because it "looks smarter", or "because he sweats so much" (when they're only dong an hour of schooling). People should clip according to their horse's workload - not what looks better.

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm hoping to clip my horse later today but she's still living out but I feel a bit mean! Just wondering if any of yours are clipped and out?

Yup. Previous horses have been hunter clipped and out, current one has a high chaser (wither to stifle) as doesn't sweat so much, all lived out 24/7. Just need to rug them up more, and personally I don't take off the legs when living out :)

Last edited:

Tern

Visit site
I agree.
Some people just take the lot off because it "looks smarter", or "because he sweats so much" (when they're only dong an hour of schooling). People should clip according to their horse's workload - not what looks better.

Well.. My mare is a very sweaty horse, Welsh D that looks like a mammoth so it is simply unfair to leave her unclipped and let her sweat and yes, she will only be doing an hour of schooling possibly even an hour of hacking and she will still get fully clipped. It depends on the horse of how much they got hot and frazzled - She doesn't get frazzled when clipped so all shall be fine.

slumdog

Visit site
Mines a tbxid and is fully clipped including head and legs and is still out. He's in a medium with a neck and is fed once a day plus just started putting hay in the field. He's fine, more on the porky side of fine if anything. My two ex racehorses are unclipped but out, wimpy one has a lightweight and tough one is naked and looks more like a hairy new forest pony!

zaminda

Visit site
My arabs are fully clipped out every winter, and live out. They have done for about the last 6 years, and I find it much better for them. With the advent of decent rugs there really is no problem.

russianhorse

Visit site
Both mine have full clips and live out. I just rug accordingly. I've kept the legs unclipped on both horses but left the head on my oldie - more so because he's not great at being clipped lol