Are more expensive hats worth the money?

SO1

Visit site
I want to get a vented riding hat. There seems to be so much choice.

I currently have 2 hats a HS1 and show hat which is a champion and is velvet covered and navy.

I got the HS1 as it is Snell, and I do hacking which is obviously quite risky as opposed to riding on a soft school surface. 19 year old pony does not jump anymore which was the other high risk activity.

There are so many styles of vented hats what is the difference between the ones that are over £200 and the cheaper ones. Very few seem to be Snell can a non Snell hat still have a good level of protection.

Are the more expensive ones more comfortable, safer or are you just paying for a fancy colour or designer name?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah the CO MIPS one looks similar to mine which is the Ayrbrush, which has decent vents and a washable liner, i find it comfortable and if the MIPS one had been around when I bought that I'd have def tried it.
I like the look of the Halo one but couldn't justify the extra £200!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I realised last month my hat was rather old. I usually buy the latest safety standard I can, however, as I can only wear Champion ones I have bought a Champion MIPS. It still feels strange and probably looks huge.
I will never be an influencer ( have I got that right?) so I don’t care.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've got a £200 Charles Owen hat that also has safety standards for the chin harness etc, it's cool to wear as lightweight and has a piece "cut out" of the front bit that means it's more comfy to wear as some of my previous hats have caused headaches despite being professionally fitted. I almost fainted at the price but I'd buy the same again in a heartbeat!!!

Lou27

Visit site
The most ventilated Charles Owen I’ve had is the V8. It has a slight gap along the front so is super comfortable and you feel the breeze coming up through it. My current is the One k defender and that’s great too, very lightweight and well ventilated.

Lou27

Visit site
I've got a £200 Charles Owen hat that also has safety standards for the chin harness etc, it's cool to wear as lightweight and has a piece "cut out" of the front bit that means it's more comfy to wear as some of my previous hats have caused headaches despite being professionally fitted. I almost fainted at the price but I'd buy the same again in a heartbeat!!!

Yes, I think we’re talking about the same CO. It’s mega comfortable!

tda

Visit site
Timely thread for me, I fell off the quad bike the other day, but had happened to put my riding hat on rather than carry it, which was good as i did hit my head.
I've always had a Charles Owen shape head, but my current one is a Dublin.
My birthday is soon ?
My OH always suggests Uvex.

Nicnac

Visit site
So good to see expensive hats question and you are all talking max £200. I thought this was going to be a thread with people who have £600-700 hats which are definitely not worth the money. Or if you have money to burn:

• 1x Samshield Miss Shield Premium Helmet - Crystal Medley
    £1,491.00
  • Trim Colour - Gold 255 Swarovski
    £261.00
  • Blazon Colour - Chrome Black
    -
  • Dressage Harness - Yes
    -
  • Subtotal £1,752.00

blitznbobs

Visit site
So good to see expensive hats question and you are all talking max £200. I thought this was going to be a thread with people who have £600-700 hats which are definitely not worth the money. Or if you have money to burn:

• 1x Samshield Miss Shield Premium Helmet - Crystal Medley
    £1,491.00
  • Trim Colour - Gold 255 Swarovski
    £261.00
  • Blazon Colour - Chrome Black
    -
  • Dressage Harness - Yes
    -
  • Subtotal £1,752.00

it depends on your budget of course, some people spend that on a hand bag… it’s just fashion at that price…

Velcrobum

Visit site
As someone who has professionally x-rayed, CT scanned and MRI'ed head injuries I have always chosen the skid lid AKA skull, hat, helmet that has the highest safety rating. Fashion does not enter the equation not ever nor in the future as far as I am concerned. I remain gobsmacked by the number of riders that consider fashion over protection!!!!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
As someone who has professionally x-rayed, CT scanned and MRI'ed head injuries I have always chosen the skid lid AKA skull, hat, helmet that has the highest safety rating. Fashion does not enter the equation not ever nor in the future as far as I am concerned. I remain gobsmacked by the number of riders that consider fashion over protection!!!!

But are the very expensive 'fashion' hats lower safety standards, or are they also top of the range in terms of protection. I had a look at the Samshield nicnac quoted which starts at £393 if you don't add extras, and it claims to be up to date for new rules for BS, BE, BD. So if someone wants to pay extra for special colours and crystals stuck on it without compromising the safety, then it's not a safety issue. And if you can afford it (I can't) why not get it in the colour you want with a bit of bling.

It looks like the Champion MIPS is over £250 and another of their skulls was £355, the CO halo mentioned upthread is over £400 so not that different to the Samshield in a basic colourway.

My question would be at the other end of the market. If you buy the cheapest, basic hat for everyday wear, are you getting enough protection or do you need to spend more?

Something I'm also currently thinking about as my skull cap really needs replacing.

My last 5 hats have been Champions as they suit my head so I'm almost scared to try something else. Definitely not CO - doesn't suit my head and I tried some of the lightweight adjustable types like Uvex a while back and they were completely wrong.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Its not a case of protection or fashion at the higher price point, its both … they have the standards but also the bespoke colours etc… you pay your money and takes you choice

Peglo

Visit site
Kinda off topic but if you don’t fall off or damage your helmet, how long until you replace it? Pretty sure my helmet is well into its teens ? but I refused to fall off the TB and then had a small break from riding after retiring her. Should I be thinking of a new one or will it be ok? I love my helmet but counting back, it’s pretty old.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Something I'm also currently thinking about as my skull cap really needs replacing.

My last 5 hats have been Champions as they suit my head so I'm almost scared to try something else. Definitely not CO - doesn't suit my head and I tried some of the lightweight adjustable types like Uvex a while back and they were completely wrong.

Just on this... I have a "champion shaped head" and some new CO models fit me well, they make different shapes now in some of the designs so may be worth exploring this with a good hat fitter :)

Reactions: TPO

Snicklefritz

Visit site
The best helmet is the one fits your head and meets the relevant safety standards. Some of the helmets that are on the top end of pricing have a lot of bling. Price doesn't always mean better or safer.

the most expensive helmets on the market don't work for me because they are the wrong shape.

catkin

Visit site
I've found that generally a skull cap with a high safety standard is a bit cheaper. They may not be as pretty but as headgear needs to be replaced after a fall/bad knock then they are a bit more affordable for the equivalent safety standard

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Kinda off topic but if you don’t fall off or damage your helmet, how long until you replace it? Pretty sure my helmet is well into its teens ? but I refused to fall off the TB and then had a small break from riding after retiring her. Should I be thinking of a new one or will it be ok? I love my helmet but counting back, it’s pretty old.
It is recommended that you change every 5 years as a minimum as the ingredients degrade over time.

I get a new hat more frequently than this at 2-3 years and the local RDA group changes all its hats when they become 3 years old.

little_critter

Visit site
Off the top of my head ( but please check) I think it’s recommended that helmets are replaced every 3-5 years.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't think that any of the cheap, basic hats have MIPS yet. A PAS015 of any make will have passed that same test, but one that also has MIPS is better IMO.

RE expensive hats being 'safer', read the long KEP thread on this forum.

SO1

Visit site
I think I might get a shopping ticket for Olympia and then I can try a few.

I don't think any vented hats are Snell so I would then be looking at MIPS hats if I want something with good safety standards.

I do like the sound of the CO V8 though. This would mainly be my riding in the school hat as I am not sure I would want to risk wearing a non Snell hat out hacking.

Most hats seem to be PAS now which for those of us that are older I can remember being the skull cap safety standard that came out as standard about 33 years ago. I remember as child being desperate for a jockey skull cap and then finally getting one for Xmas and which my pony club at the time started insisting we wear.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
PAS015 was revised in 2011.

PAS015 was revised in 2011. Since the original PAS015 standard was launched in 1998, tests were improved further by the helmets being testing for improved protection from 30% greater heights, 20% stronger impact forces and 27% greater crush resistance.

TPO

Visit site
Just on this... I have a "champion shaped head" and some new CO models fit me well, they make different shapes now in some of the designs so may be worth exploring this with a good hat fitter :)

Ditto this

I've always had a "champion shaped head" too. Years back when I was a fitter the general rule was that Champion were more oval and CO round.

A few years ago I got a Charles Owen Ayr8 fitted to me and it was a perfect fit. I fould be remembering wrong but they possibly had different shapes and I think it was the round version of the original had. So even less ovally!

Re the original question. I think paying extra for MIPS is worth it and I'll be saving for that version for my next hat. I think it'd also worth paying a bit more for a hat that is more comfortable. Paying extra for a nice looking or statement hat is personal choice.

Not that I ever would/could pay ££££ for a hat but you could bet your bottom dollar that if I did I would either drop it or have a stupid fall the very next day meaning that it needed replaced!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a MIPS hat. Mine is the Champion one. It was a little more expensive than the Charles Owen, but was obviously, to my eyes, better finished and I thought it would be more durable.

I wear it, but curse the fact that it makes me look like an egg head!

With the sliding round effect, I do wonder if my nose is at greater risk if I fall on the back of my head (that is commonly where I hit). I always seem to damage my nose when I fall and the hat moves. And yes, they do all fit beautifully. I seem to just hit hard o_O:p

Skib

sites.google.com
Thank you for this thread and the info.
I wear a large HS1. It looks odd just for hacking but years ago I asked a senior RI at the hacking yard about something lighter and vented for summer and he told me that he couldn't advise any client to reduce the protection they were using.
Now things may have moved on but while we are locked down for Covid some of us still cant go shopping.

Reactions: SO1

SO1

Visit site
I will probably continue to wear HS1 for hacking. I am presuming the benefits of Snell outweigh the benefits of MIPS. I think a lot of people think hacking is low risk compared to eventing, hunting etc but if you are on the road and have a fall the surface is much harder. I think people presume if you hack you are on a steady cob but not everyone is and even the quietest pony could have a startle due to other road users. One of my worse falls has been due to pony falling over I was cantering though a field and he lost footing and fell.

It would just be nicer to have something more ventilated and airy for riding in the school especially as I don't jump now.

Thank you for this thread and the info.
I wear a large HS1. It looks odd just for hacking but years ago I asked a senior RI at the hacking yard about something lighter and vented for summer and he told me that he couldn't advise any client to reduce the protection they were using.
Now things may have moved on but while we are locked down for Covid some of us still cant go shopping.