Are people riding?

doodle

Visit site
Well speaking to the crisis team today. They were all measured for uniforms. (They normally wear their own clothes). So they are ready to get onto medical wards. There is a very real risk they will be removed from mental health and out in front line. If that happens there will be no mental health services. On a personal note this scares the hell out of me. They are fully open I would be in hospital if it wasn’t for this. They have been told to reduce caseload to the utter minimum.

So the very real risk of no treatment scares me and so I will not tempt fate by riding. Knowing my luck it would be the time I came off in walk and broke my back!

Lammy

Visit site
With the news of the intensive care nurse who has killed herself whilst on shift in a London hospital, I’ve decided not to ride.

I can’t in good conscience risk putting the NHS under more strain than they are already under and it will get worse than it is currently. The decisions in over capacity hospitals are already being made as to who gets a ventilator and who doesn’t. If you find yourself with a severe injury and in need of ventilation it may well be (and rightly so) that because you took an unnecessary risk, a CV patient will get it before you. Of course that’s right but I wouldn’t even want to put that decision on a doctor let alone be in that situation myself.

I’m not preaching or telling anyone to do anything they don’t want to do. It’s your choice but please realise the reality and the seriousness of the situation we are in now. I will continue my work as part of the NHS supply chain and will be glad for the escape to go to the field at the end of my overtime shift to feed and rug my horse but that’s all I’ll be doing for the foreseeable. I know there’s risk in that too before anyone says, I’ve been kicked in the head in the field, however the less time we spend with our animals the less risk we expose ourselves to.

Frances144

Visit site
I sort of think though that the less "conscience risk putting the NHS under" is all well and good but with that go motorbike riders, bicycles, and a few more others. From riding, I have been to A&E precisely once 10 years ago.

Of course this is not an accurate science, but imho there are other risky life-styles out there and I dont see them stopping.

angrybird1

Visit site
I look at it like this. Hundreds of people are already dead. Thousands more ill. Not riding for a couple of weeks is a small price to pay to help the Nhs. Yes you may be fine but why risk if. Horses were not born to be ridden and it's a hobby at the end of the day. There are other things you can do. This is a major problem. It's not a joke.

Littlebear

Visit site
I havent been riding but my nearest miss i have had in years came from wearing marigolds a few days ago, thought i was being safe and the horse i turn out with mine lost its marbles, i walked in the stable with them on and she freaked and spun and tried to kick me several times, i quickly launched the gloves and calmed her down but that's the nearest miss i have had in years all from wearing gloves, you couldn't make it up!

Michen

Visit site
I rode today. Last minute decision and felt guilty for it as was hacking a green youngster albiet off roads on private land. I’m still on the fence but actually just spoke to my brother (London doctor) who was very pragmatic about it. He said if you decide not to be prepared not to for a very long time as the pressure on nhs not going to magically lessen in weeks or even months. Think of all the backlog of elective work alone after this settles down. He believes it will be peaks and troughs.

so If you decide not to ride be prepared to stick to that decision for a long time I guess.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I sort of think though that the less "conscience risk putting the NHS under" is all well and good but with that go motorbike riders, bicycles, and a few more others. From riding, I have been to A&E precisely once 10 years ago.

Of course this is not an accurate science, but imho there are other risky life-styles out there and I dont see them stopping.

Completely agree, but we only control our own choices, not other people’s. Just because others are taking unnecessary risks it doesn’t make it right that we should. At the end of the day everyone is responsible for making their own decisions and the potential consequences of those decisions. Under normal circumstances we choose to ride despite the risk. It’s just that at the moment the potential consequences of carrying on with high risk activities, whatever they may be, is that people do not get the medical care they need whether that be because they are hospitalised with Coronavirus or following an accident which has resulted from continuing to participate in non-essential high risk activities.

Visit site
I couldn't tell you the last time I actually rode one of my own properly and for more than 1 day in 4 months!

But I am still riding a horse or 2 at work. These are ones just back in from injury and of racing kicks off again in May then they will be fit and ready to run. If racing is once again postponed indefinitely I expect they will be turfed back out. But the work they have done in the mean time means it will be easier to bring them back in with no issues.

I have no issue with people riding horses they know safely. I wouldn't be so keen on breaking in a youngster just now though! Though I know a lot of people will be - 2 weeks minimum off of work means they can crack on and do something with the horse every day in day light hours.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
I have a little family of 3, me, hubby(non rider) and small boy (who also rides). We have been self isolating since a week before the schools closed and I chose to take my little one out of school. My husband has had a lung condition previously and with no other family about I'm being very careful , he started working from home at the same time and I was terrified of bringing it back to him.
Up until we went on lockdown me and my minime were still hacking out, although Id stopped all jumping. Now Ive decided not to ride because as well as the pressure on the NHS, if I had to go to A&E for something stoopid, Id ruin all that isolation time. I fell over backwards getting off my big lad a few weeks ago and thought Id broken my wrist, it was a stupid moment and everyone was in hysterics... but what if?? It's not so funny now. Last year I had an ambulance ride because someone else's pony knocked me sideways into a metal gate and I split my head open. A freak accident but it's made me more aware. All our horses are at home and I am being super careful but at the same time Im devastated not to be riding at all. It is so crucial to my mental health and having things to aim towards. Ive ordered a load of paint so I can spruce up my stables and I'm baking bread for the first time!! What worries me is how long this will go on for, I may yet decide to school in W/T in my field if I really can't cope and it's long term.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
There are just a few of us on a farm and we have decided not to ride at present. All the horses are sensible but I’d never forgive myself if I fell off and needed medical attention. They haven’t had much work over this awful winter anyway so no point in starting now. Instead we will be taking advantage of the drier lighter weather and they will all be turned out as much as possible which will be lovely for them given the winter we’ve had. Even though we are quite remote and on country lanes the amount of people I’ve seen parking up our road and going walking etc is insane so more risks involved than normal. I am a key worker and have been disappointed to see some utterly rude and selfish behaviour recently from the general public and I don’t want to add to that

Visit site
As we're only supposed to be leaving the house for essentials now, ours are all turned out: to me, essentials when it comes to animals are feed, water, poo pick, medical stuff on those that need it. Not working them unfortunately - not fun but we have very limited facilities (just a field) so it's not really a good idea to do anything more.

Winters100

Visit site

Why on earth would you use the fact that other people are not behaving in a sensible way to justify your own decisions? I simply do not understand that.

It is quite clear that right now it is to the benefit of society if we stay home as much as possible and avoid activities which may result in injury. What is difficult to understand about this?

Upthecreek

Visit site
The current situation is the worst thing I have lived through and I’m quite possibly wasting my time but I feel it’s worth it if it makes anyone still riding think seriously about whether it’s the right thing to be doing at the moment. If the thread is boring you why read it or comment?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's just that some come to different conclusions.
^^this.
I have parents stuck in their house that I'm looking after without being able to have contact, my job is in healthcare, I'm quite well aware of how serious this is. My risk assessment is what it is *for now*.

Other people should do what's right for them. Getting snippy with each other isn't going to help anyone :)

Bexx

Visit site
I'm still riding. My yard is DIY with no staff so weve set up a rota between us to care for the 4 horses that are there. We are still on very limited/poor turnout so I will be flat working in the area so he gets a decent leg stretch. He is also much happier when in work so I'll be keeping him ticking over. I'm not going to hack, jump or try anything new, just nice easy sessions to keep him soft and supple for now

Upthecreek

Visit site
I don't think anyone here has been flippant about their decision making, I think everyone has thought about it seriously or they wouldn't be discussing it. It's just that some come to different conclusions.

It’s fine for people to come to different conclusions. I would disagree that people aren’t being flippant about their decision making. Many people don’t think things through properly or fail to consider the impact of their actions on other people. Not because of malice but because they just don’t. If nothing else I hope this thread and the differing opinions encourages people to do that.

Upthecreek

Visit site
You can't move for people pointing out the potential issues with riding though, if they're not informed now they never are going to be.

Under normal circumstances we all choose to accept the risk that comes with riding. The point is these are the most abnormal circumstances we have ever faced so I absolutely cannot understand why people don’t just accept that we can’t carry on as normal and risk burdening the NHS further if our trusty steed decides to spin/spook/rear/bolt and we hit the deck. Perhaps it’s because they are such amazing riders it will never happen to them ?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think anyone thinks things are carrying on as normal.

And by potential issues I meant all of the current potential issues re beds etc etc not the usual ones.

Sail_away

Visit site
Riding in this current situation is not a decision I took lightly. Personally, my decision is that it’s more risky for me to cut off all work for a horse that is used to up to an hour long schooling sessions and 2-3 hour fast hacks than to keep him ticking over with 3-4 rides a week of flat work and quiet hacking. He’s far fitter than he’s ever been, and since we moved yards this winter he’s on much better grazing. Now the spring grass is coming, he’s going to have huge amounts of energy. I’d rather keep on top of that, because I don’t know how he’ll react without work. I do know how he’ll react with work, though, because that’s our routine. He’ll be focused and polite and he will keep all four feet where they should be.
Those of you who have stopped riding clearly had a different risk assessment. I completely understand that. If I had a young horse, or a spooky horse, or something that bucked or reared then I’d make a different decision. But my decision is still valid even if you made a different one.