Are people riding?

doodle

Visit site
Winters, please stick to telling people in Poland where you live how to behave.

And fyi, I am on the waiting list for mental health therapy which I now won't get because the resources have been redeployed. Barring my horses and watching tv of an evening, my entire way of life has been removed overnight, and you want to guilt trip me into giving up what sometimes feels like the only thing that stops me jumping off a tall building.

How dare you question the mental health of people you don't know, never mind those who have declared that they have issues. We have a forum member who was thrown out of her psychiatric ward weeks early because it was requisitioned for the virus. She is riding to stay sane. If she's reading this thread, your astonishingly crass remarks could send her, or anyone else, over the edge.

if this is me, I am not riding. If this is not me can you PM me who so could maybe support each other?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sorry K, I did mean you, the last post of yours that I read was that you had ridden. Apologies that I was out of date. I hope you are keeping well in spite of the lack of support you are getting from the NHS.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It is your personal view... your personal opinion

Not fact. Not my view. Thanks and goodbye to this thread and at least one person from up the page going into the sin bin that is user ignore lol

but why anyone at ease with their own view would feel the need to UI someone who simple profoundly disagrees with them I have no idea .
except of course the truth hurts sometimes .

Do you people think we haven't heard you?

Use your energy lobbying Boris to ban it.

Christ almighty it's legal, let it rest.

at No point have I said it’s illegal , why would anyone lobby the PM who has far important things to than make riding illegal to stop people ending up in A and E .
Why you of all people think you should tell me not to post I have no idea .
I will post what I choose when I choose with no reference to you .

ycbm

Visit site
Ah ok no prob. Yeh I rode 3 times after being discharged but now not riding.

The crisis team as ever are amazing. Just very restricted. However I am now allowed to go and see them if I don’t go in the building and we go for a walk 1:1. I am just terrified this will all stop too.

Thats great news about the walking. Your therapist will get mighty fit! Stick with us here, K, and we'll do all we can to help.

ycbm

Visit site
While I was outside picking up stones in the beautiful evening sunshine I suddenly realised what a wonderful person you are, to be in your situation and your first thought after I posted incorrect information about you was to offer your help to someone else I might have been talking about. How lovely you are.

Wheels

Visit site
but why anyone at ease with their own view would feel the need to UI someone who simple profoundly disagrees with them I have no idea .
except of course the truth hurts sometimes .

if I UId everyone who I profoundly disagree with on this thread then I wouldn't be seeing many posts. I am not UIing that person because of their views on whether one should ride or not.

doodle

Visit site
While I was outside picking up stones in the beautiful evening sunshine I suddenly realised what a wonderful person you are, to be in your situation and your first thought after I posted incorrect information about you was to offer your help to someone else I might have been talking about. How lovely you are.

Aww thanks, that made my day.

Summit

Visit site
why should the government ban riding ?
perhaps They should ban riding bikes walking ,climbing loft ladders, decorating on ladders, gardening ( which causes loads of trip to A and E ) cooking with hot fat the list is endless .
however individuals need to take choices for themselves personally I know most medics think riders are a bit nuts and at the moment if you land in A and E they are likely to think you are a selfish irresponsible idiot .
if you ok with that ride away .
we don’t need governments to tell us what to do in this area .

I agree, where do you draw the line? Let’s ban cyclists, plenty fall off! You’re just at risk by driving your car.

things need to be taken into context

Visit site
Good thought. Will ask.
Sorry. I freaked and deleted that post because I didn't want you to think I was being rude - but I'm getting skype sessions now, so thought it might be an option for you too. It's weird, but better than nothing.

I should add if I can be any help at all please let me know - even if you just need to rant about the inadequacies of mental health care in this country cx

luckyoldme

Visit site
It was a lovely day in the north east today so it must have been very hard for folk to resist riding.
Coming across the a69 and then down the a19 it was awesome to see the horses all out with their rugs off..clearly horses who are clipped out to ride but are enjoying their holiday!
I constantly look ar horses..and my biggest soppy moment was a lovely but lonely looking cob by the side of the m74..i think roundabout johnstonebridge. I went past him/her (other) a few times and felt sad because he was on his own. Then one day a friend arrived..still makes me happy now!

blitznbobs

Visit site
not riding... if people choose to ride it’s their decision... just be aware if Ventilators are in as short a supply as we think they will be and there’s a choice to be made - that might not swing towards the perceived self inflicted injury.

Bernster

Visit site
I agree, where do you draw the line? Let’s ban cyclists, plenty fall off! You’re just at risk by driving your car.

things need to be taken into context

I’m still struggling with the focus on this point. It’s more about essential travel isn’t it? Going from your house on a bike v going out in your car to travel to somewhere else for exercise (riding). I agree it doesn’t seem that different, but it does seem like some police forces are saying the driving bit isn’t correct. From the pics of the notices on here. ?‍♀️

Leo Walker

Visit site
This is my idiot creature today. This was after a good 5 mins of bucking and leaping round the field. Shes fit and feeling well and on restricted grazing so limited room for carrying on. I have cut right back on the work she does, but in order to keep her weight down she will need to do something. We played football in the field with the hayball tonight. I'll lunge her tomorrow and it will be like lunging a pony shaped kite no doubt. If my legs are up to it on Saturday I'll have her harrow the school. I doubt they will be, so I'll have to drive her in the school instead. Shes been doing 10 to 12k 95% of it trotting, so lunging barely scratches the surface. I am trying to reduce the work load without her gaining weight, but its not something I can do overnight.

The lammi app was off the scale this morning. I have never seen it that high before and it has me VERY worried.

91288648_10157375214633667_4314804139327488000_o.jpg

millikins

Visit site
not riding... if people choose to ride it’s their decision... just be aware if Ventilators are in as short a supply as we think they will be and there’s a choice to be made - that might not swing towards the perceived self inflicted injury.

This too is an appalling thing to try and guilt trip people with. The use of ITU beds and equipment is judged solely on the perceived benefit to the patient. Perhaps you also think a teenager who is hit by a car when not paying attention because they were on their phone should be "blamed" for their accident?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have had mental health problems for years and years and this time of year is absolute shit for me. April the 12th will be the 5th anniversary of my little girl's death which is gut wrenching enough in itself (for anyone who tells you that time is a healer and it gets easier etc, its bullshit btw). I adore Spring time but it's now bittersweet for me. My counsellor rang today to say that sessions are cancelled for the foreseeable future which I kind of expected but still knocks me off balance. My animals secure the tiny bit of sanity I have left. Mental health issues are variable and it's not fair to make assumptions about other people.
I'm not riding at the moment purely because I live alone so if I had an accident I couldn't expect anyone to come to the house to see to the dogs and parrots at this moment in time.

PurBee

Visit site
Im not riding and my horses are being turned out for a lazy few weeks/months. I am a frontline worker and my sister and brother in law are hospital consultants, perhaps it is because I see and hear 1st hand how much pressure the NHS are under trying to cope with this virus, i couldn’t forgive myself if i ended up taking up vital NHS resources due to a riding accident. We all need to work together to get through this.

I understand people making the decision not to ride due to risk of injury and not wanting to burden nhs, but handling half tonne flight animals is as much of a risk on the ground as upon their backs. They get spooked with or without a rider. in my opinion the risks are the same.

For many on here who dont have the luxury to turn them away during lockdown, it would be considered more sensible to continue the horse exercised than it being a stressed, 12hr stabled fizzy nightmare, to handle and to ride.

It sounds like all here are making the right decisions based on their personal circumstances and indepth knowledge of their animals, to keep both as safe and sane as possible.

Boris said that those who care for the vulnerable to continue. All animals come under that title in my opinion, and especially with horses, those that are usually exercised are more vulnerable and risky if all of a sudden are just fed and boxed with limited turnout. Animals mental health are our concern, just like people, and radical changes with feed and exercise affect them, so for many i imagine its safer for both to continue exercising their horses.

My own horses are out exercising themselves and live a more wild life, so this lockdown isnt affecting their/mine routine like many others who’s horses depend on exercise to keep them safe and sane. Blanket statements like ‘riding is too risky now and inconsiderate’ is somewhat inaccurate considering the various temperaments and specific needs of individual horses.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have had mental health problems for years and years and this time of year is absolute shit for me. April the 12th will be the 5th anniversary of my little girl's death which is gut wrenching enough in itself (for anyone who tells you that time is a healer and it gets easier etc, its bullshit btw). I adore Spring time but it's now bittersweet for me. My counsellor rang today to say that sessions are cancelled for the foreseeable future which I kind of expected but still knocks me off balance. My animals secure the tiny bit of sanity I have left. Mental health issues are variable and it's not fair to make assumptions about other people.
I'm not riding at the moment purely because I live alone so if I had an accident I couldn't expect anyone to come to the house to see to the dogs and parrots at this moment in time.

Just a somewhat off-track question here, but why don't providers, such as mental health counselors, do virtual sessions if possible? Skype could be an option or other form of video chat. Or is it that it is not secure enough? Maybe even shorter phone-in appointments just to touch base and feel that someone is there.

Lyle

Visit site
I made the decision not to ride at the moment, green breaker and we are quite rural. I'm handling all the horses and doing groundwork, whilst wearing my helmet (always do anyway when I'm near them!) and even my body protector. I hope everyone manages to find some peace and comfort during this awful time xx

Tihamandturkey

Visit site

Sending very best wishes to you - stay safe and well ?

soapy

Visit site
I was going to keep riding. Got to drive to the yard to look after horse anyway. Slight risk of an accident riding, but the same goes for cycling surely? Maybe i should stay off the roads though... um, thinking....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks for the link, milliepops. Here’s the section relevant to horses.

Horses, livestock and other animals
Advice if you have symptoms of coronavirus and must remain at home for 7 days, or 14 as a household
If you have a horse in livery, you must not visit them whilst you are self-isolating. You should contact your yard manager or vet to make suitable welfare arrangements.
If you have livestock such as cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry, or any other types of livestock you should arrange for someone else who is not self-isolating to care for your animals.
Where this is not possible you should ensure the basic needs of your animals are met. You must make sure you wash your hands before and after handling your animals and ensure you remain 2 metres away from other people.
If you are too unwell to care for your animals and there is no one to help, you should call the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) or your local authority.
Advice if you do not have symptoms of coronavirus
You may leave your house to exercise once a day and you should combine this with leaving your house to provide care for your horse or livestock.
It is essential that you minimise the time spent outside of the home and remain 2 metres away from others. You should remember to wash your hands before and after contact with any animals.
If your horse needs urgent attention from a farrier
If your horse requires urgent attention from a farrier, you should phone the farrier to arrange the best approach to meet your horses’ needs. You and the farrier must ensure that you keep 2 metres apart and wash your hands before and after contact with the horse.
Published 27 March 2020