Are people riding?

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think you are missing the point really that it is not necessarily o do with whether it is a public or private land rather it is about the likelihood of coming into contact with other people. This is of course much more likely in towns and cities than in rural locations. If someone was riding their horse through belfast city centre they might well be sent home but if they are hackng around local quiet roads where they are not likely to be in contact with others then that should not be an issue

I dont really think it is very grey at all

Stay away from other people

But I don’t think it’s just about staying away from other people. It’s about minimising time away from home, or at least that’s what the government is telling us to do. The stay at home ad is on the TV every 5 minutes and the message is “stay at home” not “continue with your usual activities as long as you stay away from other people”. That’s why I think it’s a grey area because we aren’t all hearing the same message.

ameeyal

Visit site
Been desperately trying to stay away from this thread but the riding/no riding debate is so interesting. I am firmly in the no riding camp but after reading lots of posts giving an alternative view I can at least understand the reasons why some people are continuing, even if I don’t personally agree.

I do wonder how people are continuing to ride and comply fully with the restrictions that have been imposed, but if they are guidelines and not law do people have to comply?

People who are out and about in towns and cities are being challenged by the police and instructed to go home. Horse riding generally takes place in the countryside so is less visible, but would riders be challenged by the police if they were seen?

i ride, and I live in the country where it’s very peaceful, I met a police car this morning who stopped and asked me if I seen any cars down my lane that shouldn’t be there, no mention of me riding, they also mentioned that they had, had a chat with another Horse rider further along.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Your work must be really tough right now MP :(
It's sad and weird. While some areas have asked us to work as normal up to last week the nurses have been worried about getting enough PPE. Now there's just uncertainty and trying not to think about the consequences of not seeing patients who would normally be a high priority. But we're very much on the periphery really.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Ok so why exactly do you think we are being told to stay home? What is the reasoning behind that message?

I assume it’s because they have to tell everyone to do the same thing regardless of their individual circumstances. You can’t have one rule for some of the population and another rule for the rest. Trying to get this pandemic under control as quickly as possible is the absolute priority at the moment so the government want every single member of society to abide by the rules so that can happen.

monkeymad

Visit site
I am very rural and I am riding. After a 12.5 hour shift in A&E, I allow myself this small luxury. I am careful and am only going out for 30/40 mins, and I'll admit I am often crying as I ride due to the state of some of the patients I have cared for at work, but until the government advise us not to ride, I will do so.

Wheels

Visit site
I assume it’s because they have to tell everyone to do the same thing regardless of their individual circumstances. You can’t have one rule for some of the population and another rule for the rest. Trying to get this pandemic under control as quickly as possible is the absolute priority at the moment so the government want every single member of society to abide by the rules so that can happen.

Common sense must apply! You are self isolating now anyway so you have no choice. I am also self isolating but seeing my horses does not mean contact with people so I will continue to do that.

Everyone else will do what they do :)

bonny

Visit site
I am very rural and I am riding. After a 12.5 hour shift in A&E, I allow myself this small luxury. I am careful and am only going out for 30/40 mins, and I'll admit I am often crying as I ride due to the state of some of the patients I have cared for at work, but until the government advise us not to ride, I will do so.
So, do you think it’s ok for everyone to carry on riding ?

Wheels

Visit site

I hope your riding can bring you some comfort x

bonny

Visit site
Yet again Bonny you show your unattractive side ?
Still trying to wind people up in this time of crisis - disgraceful
Don’t be spiteful, that’s hardly attractive either, you are harking back to some other thread which I can’t even remember or care about.

canteron

Visit site
Look, we all have to accept most of us on here are pretty lucky in that we have access to space and outside life. Important as we all are as individuals, guidance has to be given for the majority, not for us over privileged individuals? So just use you intelligence and if you really really don’t pose a risk to anyone else and aren’t taking the complete p*ss it’s possibly ok.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Common sense must apply! You are self isolating now anyway so you have no choice. I am also self isolating but seeing my horses does not mean contact with people so I will continue to do that.

Everyone else will do what they do :)

The trouble is common sense is anything but common! I suppose that’s my worry. Yes I’m confined to home for 12 weeks, but I have a husband and three children who aren’t and I think there is a very real risk of the government imposing harsher restrictions and this all taking longer because people aren’t complying with the restrictions we have now. And I don’t just mean riding, there’s loads of examples every day of people not using common sense or good judgment. I am very happy for everyone that is able to continue to enjoy their horses whilst complying with the restrictions ?

Upthecreek

Visit site
You see, I think going to the supermarket is far more risky!! My horse is not at livery, so I meet no-one there. I am not taking any unnecessary risks, and I am doing no fast work. I could also fall and injure myself when I go trail running, and cyclists could also fall off their bikes.

I totally agree that going to the supermarket is far more risky in terms of your chances of catching Coronavirus. It is also essential if that is how you obtain food. Horse riding, trail running and cycling is not essential for survival. There is a difference in weight of risks between something we have to do to survive and something we choose to do as a leisure activity and each carries different risks. The essential activity of going to the supermarket puts you at greater risk of catching Coronavirus than the leisure activities. The non-essential leisure activities put you at risk of accident or injury which could mean a visit to hospital which would burden the NHS and put you at risk of catching Coronavirus whilst there. I think I must be more risk averse than most!

milliepops

Visit site
I think it boils down to what you consider to be a risk or not. I am quite risk averse, I'm pretty cautious in many aspects of life, I tend towards catastrophising and imagining the worst... the thing I don't consider to be a risk is riding my highly trained horse that I know inside out in a controlled environment doing some dressage training.
Each person will have different experiences and views.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think it boils down to what you consider to be a risk or not. I am quite risk averse, I'm pretty cautious in many aspects of life, I tend towards catastrophising and imagining the worst... the thing I don't consider to be a risk is riding my highly trained horse that I know inside out in a controlled environment doing some dressage training.
Each person will have different experiences and views.

I completely agree but I think the distinction between essential activities which are necessary for survival and chosen leisure activities for enjoyment is important at the moment.

milliepops

Visit site
I completely agree but I think the distinction between essential activities which are necessary for survival and chosen leisure activities for enjoyment is important at the moment.
I understand your pov but to bring the cycling-for-exercise folk back into the conversation , that's not really essential either yet its explicitly permitted.

Strictly speaking we could all stay in bed with a supply of soylent green delivered in the mail. If you boil it down to essentials. But the government have so far provided examples of reasons why most of us can leave the house. Examples not stipulations, as the drips and drabs of additional guidance show .

Upthecreek

Visit site
I understand your pov but to bring the cycling-for-exercise folk back into the conversation , that's not really essential either yet its explicitly permitted.

Strictly speaking we could all stay in bed with a supply of soylent green delivered in the mail. If you boil it down to essentials. But the government have so far provided examples of reasons why most of us can leave the house. Examples not stipulations, as the drips and drags of additional guidance show .

Yeah I know but I’m a Risk Management Consultant. My job is to interpret, assess and manage risk all day every day ?‍♀️

milliepops

Visit site
I guess its difficult to work out what the issue or risk truly is, specifically: the journey, the time out of doors, the act of sitting on a sensible horse or what, because all of those seem to be justified ,manageable, or negligible and different people raise different issues with their own interpretation of the existing rules ??‍♀️

Carrottom

Visit site
I guess its difficult to work out what the issue or risk truly is, specifically: the journey, the time out of doors, the act of sitting on a sensible horse or what, because all of those seem to be justified ,manageable, or negligible and different people raise different issues with their own interpretation of the existing rules ??‍♀️
Totally agree with this. I would also add that it depends how much you want to argue your pov. Mine are at home and I could ride on my own field, but I don't want to have to make a case for doing it. I'm very lucky to be able to wander up to see them whenever I want to.?