Are people still anti buying young horses that have raced?

Auslander

Visit site
Got a 4yr old here at the moment. The rider has put in a lot of work producing her, but I have a feeling that she is not going to be worth the time/effort investment, purely because she's raced.
Part of me thinks I feel that way because a few years ago, people would expect to pick up an OTTB for peanuts, but I am so out of the loop these days that maybe things have changed? Any thoughts?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My neighbour is actively looking for her daughter. She's v anti ott TB's as shes read they are all fruit loops. I've tried my best to educate her as I had a good number in to re educate and nearly all were straightforward.
Another friend of a friend is convinced she can rescue buy one for under £500!

The right person will be out there but she will be weeding out the tight fisted and the lunatics.... hope a good home is found x

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm a fan of ex racers. I've had a few and I've got one now. Most people I know would buy one to keep but not buy to sell on as getting a good price for them is difficult even though most are extremely talented.

humblepie

Visit site
I would say a lot of people actively seek them out because not only can they hold their own in open classes but amazing array of RoR competitions.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I saw a beautiful individual on Fb the other day a 7yo straight from training he was 5k and was nice enough for riding horse classes I thought he was great value a light weight warmblood of that quality would be a fortune .

chaps89

Visit site
They’ve definitley increased in value in the last few years - the ones that have potential to do a job seem to be priced similarly now to the non-ex-racer equivalent from what I’ve seen.
They seem to be being recognised for what they are as opposed to what they’ve done. Which in fairness is right.
I’ve ridden some really nice ones, and known a few fruit loops, as with any horse buying really I’d look at the individual.

What would put me off most is potential health issues and there tendency to be a bit more delicate.
I can’t base it on any sort of fact but I think personally I’d be more inclined to take an ex-racer who retired sound after a few seasons (knowing I’ll never work them as hard as that so if they got that far sound they should be alright)
I’d maybe consider a younger one depending on if the history was known and they hadn’t done much.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think (read know from bitter experience) that they can be walking vets bills. Pick wisely- there is a lot of poorly bred, confirmationally challenged rubbish out there. If you’re going to invest in one, pick one that at looks like it has a reasonable chance of being useful as a riding horse to start with. Re- schooling puts a totally different strain on them and not all fair well.

Auslander

Visit site
This is reassuring, as it'd be a crying shame if this little mare went for peanuts. Personally, I think she should stay, and go eventing with her current rider - but I don't think that's going to be an option for the owner.

Auslander

Visit site
I think (read know from bitter experience) that they can be walking vets bills. Pick wisely- there is a lot of poorly bred, confirmationally challenged rubbish out there. If you’re going to invest in one, pick one that at looks like it has a reasonable chance of being useful as a riding horse to start with. Re- schooling puts a totally different strain on them and not all fair well.

I'm not buying one!

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have an OTTB who was started properly ie as one would a riding horse. Hacks alone, stands at a mounting block, knew how to go in circles etc etc. He was a failed racer as despite the trainers saying he was too weak and gangly to start racing the owner wanted him to start. He is a big Irish bred steeplechase stamp has good bone and moves well. Only finished 3 races was pulled up in 4. He had the ability but was soured by his first experiences racing. He is definitely a sane, sensible and kind TB, very easy to handle and polite.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Prices have really gone up.

Have a look at the British and irish thoroughbred Agency on Facebook for an idea od prices. They match alot straight off the track and prices range from about £2500 to over £7000 for one with serious potential and that's without reschooling.

The fact she's raced means she qualifies for ROR which would be a plus for some people.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The yard I’m at sold a 4yo gelding, simply not good enough but never done anything else for £3500 I believe to an eventing home last week.

SEL

Visit site
My old YO used to pick them up for peanuts but they often came with tendon problems.

I've tentatively looking for a new one and happy to look at ex racers, so long as retired sound and can hack alone. It's what I grew up riding. Not going for peanuts any longer but then I think there was always a decent market for sound OTTBs who'd had a bit of retraining

TPO

Visit site
I am selling an unraced (race bred) young TB and am just getting timewasters even at a pretty modest price (reduced!!)
the market is bonkers.

Can't believe that your hand hasn't been bitten off. He's a cracking horse with a lovely temperament and an absolute steal.

So can only concur that the market is indeed bonkers!

stangs

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but I also wouldn't buy a WB or a Friesian from certain lines, or anything that's more likely to have problems further down the line. But they're definitely growing more popular - I rarely see any being sold for under 2k these days, unless they've had a serious injury in training.

Squeak

Visit site
I think their prices have gone up with the rest of the horse market. Ex-racers seem to be going for much better prices these days.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I was thinking about it before I found Foinavon and might have gone down that route if he hadn’t worked out. I suppose I had some reservations because they’re like 30 year old Premier League footballers… they’ve been pushed to the peak of their athletic abilities while very young, and while any horse can develop health issues, the odds seem worse for OTTBs. You’re playing a chance/stats game with whatever horse you buy.

Jango

Visit site
They are beautiful and some of them really move, but the level of serious health issues (ligaments/tendons/bones) seem to be higher than non-raced horses. As the most important thing for a horse to be is sound, I'd only consider one that had retired sound from an actual racing career. When you are looking at a 4yo that's been in training and raced once or twice you've be much better with a TB or TBx that hasn't been worked as a 2/3 yo. It's also way easier to back them from scratch rather than retrain.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Got a 4yr old here at the moment. The rider has put in a lot of work producing her, but I have a feeling that she is not going to be worth the time/effort investment, purely because she's raced.
Part of me thinks I feel that way because a few years ago, people would expect to pick up an OTTB for peanuts, but I am so out of the loop these days that maybe things have changed? Any thoughts?

I think there is a much better market for them than there was, but my guess is that her age will be a limiting factor, because she hasn't had long enough to prove that she can stay sound and she's too young for most of the market to want to buy because they need something with more experience. People who have the skills for a potentially sharp youngster can pay less for the untrained version straight from racing stables or auctions. She kind of falls down a gap to get best price, I think.

GSD Woman

Visit site
A friend who hunts with Blue Ridge and has gone to some of the big shows with her horses only has retired thoroughbreds. Her latest one was free. This was before the market went crazy. He had a chip in his knee and she had him on stall rest and then rebuilt him. He's a nice enough horse but he isn't a good hunter. She's planning on selling him to a show home and getting another OTTB to train as her hunter. It's funny, he wants to be in the front in the field but didn't like racing. She told me that all of her hunters have been OTTB. Her in laws breed TBs on a small level.