Are Prolite Girths Worth It v.s. Professional's Choice

Taliesan

Visit site
At the moment I have a professional's choice neoprene girth, which is lovely. However, my horse does have a rather forward girth groove and when I do it up I can see that the way the current girth lies means that the bottom of his shoulders / elbows will be moving back into it. I figure this can't be comfortable.

I've been looking at prolite girths and I noticed one has appeared on eBay at a price I wouldn't mind paying if I knew my horse would feel happier. It is the same size as my current girth but isn't elasticated like the professional's choice one.

I've seen people say they come up small - so would a 48" prolite fit my horse who is currently in a 48" professional's choice? Is there a massive difference between the narrow and standard gauge ones or doesn't it matter too much?

I am genuinely torn about what would be best for my horse. He isn't unhappy in his current girth, and he certainly doesn't hesitate to tell me if he isn't comfortable, but the way he is makes me wonder if he would be happier in an anatomically shaped girth.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have had both, my pony should be the shape prolite designed for but the front gaped as did the sides so I was really unconvinced about the pressure but it did keep it back from his particularly saggy elbows. I use the pro choice now, I'd go up 2" from your pro choice too.

Taliesan

Visit site
I have had both, my pony should be the shape prolite designed for but the front gaped as did the sides so I was really unconvinced about the pressure but it did keep it back from his particularly saggy elbows. I use the pro choice now, I'd go up 2" from your pro choice too.

Thanks for your response ester. Hmm, so even though he is shaped for a forward girth it may not necessarily be better for him. It would be really useful if they did a trial of some sorts so I could give one a go and see if it actually makes any difference to him.

If you suggest going up 2" from the professional's choice that rules out the one currently on eBay as well.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you might be able to trial a fairfax instead... though it's a bit cheeky to then buy a prolite ;)

I have also had both - Millie was quite happy in the pro choice but went better in the fairfax when I trialed it so I swapped. Kira appeared to feel the buckles through the neoprene of the pro choice that she inherited so I wanted to find something else for her. She needs the narrow gauge so I got her a prolite.

I find it fits her well, she also has that forward girth groove/round ribcage shape.

re the narrow/standard, there's info on the fairfax website about how to measure your horse to tell which one you need. Kira is built like a brick outhouse but doesn't actually have a wide flat area between her front legs so we had to go narrow.

ester

Visit site
I've trialled a fair few girths on him, the harry dabbs wavy one seems to work well but looks not forwards cut enough and the binding splits, he absolutely does not get on with leather though!
He did wear the prolite for miles over the new forest but my companion pointed out how much it was gaping up the sides as he moved and I'd never been that happy with the front edge between the legs, though perhaps the leather one might be better for that, but as I say leather doesn't suit him.
This is his shape if that helps. I do have pics of him in the girth somewhere but that would have to be when I am not at work ;)
11999011_10156173208550438_2007660752787253027_n.jpg

ester

Visit site
I should add I did trial and prolite as a saddler brought one out for me, it was observed he pulled it slightly forwards but that seemed exacerbated the further we went I think!

Taliesan

Visit site
you might be able to trial a fairfax instead... though it's a bit cheeky to then buy a prolite ;)

I have also had both - Millie was quite happy in the pro choice but went better in the fairfax when I trialed it so I swapped. Kira appeared to feel the buckles through the neoprene of the pro choice that she inherited so I wanted to find something else for her. She needs the narrow gauge so I got her a prolite.

I find it fits her well, she also has that forward girth groove/round ribcage shape.

re the narrow/standard, there's info on the fairfax website about how to measure your horse to tell which one you need. Kira is built like a brick outhouse but doesn't actually have a wide flat area between her front legs so we had to go narrow.

Haha, a bit cheeky but not a bad suggestion!

My horse sounds like your Kira. He just has a very large rib cage but isn't particularly wide between his front legs. Going from memory I would guess that his measurement would be less than 20cm. I did have a quick look on the fairfax site just now for their measuring guidance so I'll give that a go later when I see him. :)

I couldn't see any information on their website about trialling a girth - is this something you did through a local stockist rather than the main website itself?

So far it seems like a fairly close call between both girth types. Maybe it is just me getting fussed over nothing with regards to his shoulders touching the pro choice girth when he moves!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I trialed the fairfax from a local saddler, yes - quite a lot of them were offering trials at the time that I bought mine.

Taliesan

Visit site
I've trialled a fair few girths on him, the harry dabbs wavy one seems to work well but looks not forwards cut enough and the binding splits, he absolutely does not get on with leather though!
He did wear the prolite for miles over the new forest but my companion pointed out how much it was gaping up the sides as he moved and I'd never been that happy with the front edge between the legs, though perhaps the leather one might be better for that, but as I say leather doesn't suit him.
This is his shape if that helps. I do have pics of him in the girth somewhere but that would have to be when I am not at work ;)
11999011_10156173208550438_2007660752787253027_n.jpg

I should add I did trial and prolite as a saddler brought one out for me, it was observed he pulled it slightly forwards but that seemed exacerbated the further we went I think!

He looks similar in shape to my lad. I may try and get pictures of my boy later both without a girth and with the pro choice one on. The pro choice one doesn't slip at all after I've put it on, but the way it lies on him I can almost imagine it pinching. Not to say that is does, but it is just the proximity to his shoulders and that, when his shoulder moves back, I can almost visualise it going right back into his girth.

It may also be worth getting someone to video me with a specific focus on the girth so I can see how much it actually affects his shoulders, rather than letting my imagination run wild with what it may and may not be doing!

ester

Visit site
I resisted buying the pro choice for years, I didn't see how it could work being so straight (he'd always had atherstones originally) and his increasingly saggy elbows but it seems to be so soft it doesn't cause issues and hold itself back with the grippiness

rachk89

Visit site
I do like the prolite girth for my horse. He was walking funny on his front legs a while ago (although that wont have been helped by the kissing spine) but the prolite girth did help that as well. Obviously fixing his spine is going to help more, but it did help before we found out about that.

BSL

Visit site
Used the prolite. Correct size. Rubbed my arab raw after hack. Felt awful. Returned. For info only.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Forward girth groove here too and I had tried the Fairfax, Prolite, Pro's Choice, Jaguar (Harry Dabs), Passier.... one other I can't for the life of me remember the name.... they all worked to a degree and each one posing a slightly different little problem. Someone suggested a Stubben string girth... can't say I've noticed the difference in stability and performance between this and the other girths (apart from the price!)...

I have another saddle I use the Jaguar one on from time to time.

Those two seem the most comfy and evenly fitting for her... you have to go through the trial and error phase to get the near-to-perfect fit as you can get with your own particular combinations. Keep trying because you never know. It's not about cost at the end of the day, it's about what fits and performs.

Keep trying :).

ester

Visit site
We have similar lists TH! The string was awful it slid forwards and bunched behind his elbows.

I was never able to test the pro choice in worse case scenario situations, it did a fair number of hacking miles but not at coat change time, that would have been the kicker (pony broke by then though :p )

Mum's anglo is nearly as bad, less baggy elbows she has an ideal affinity but does need some dead sheep at coat change time.

buddylove

Visit site
I recently purchased the prolite. Have the jaguar curved but horse was objecting to it, and the stubben equi-soft caused major saddle instability so went straight back. The Prolite seems to be working well so far, certainly no runs and it is nice and soft and flexible 😊

coss

Visit site
I have prolites for my horses (not tried Professional choice) - there is very little give in the girth for when you initially girth up (if you struggle to get on the first hole both sides with your normal girth may be worth going up a size). I previously had hycomfort dressage girths and cottage craft non-elastic standard girths and didn't change the length in girth at all. I sometimes find it hard to get the girth onto the first hole but once on the girth goes up to 3 on each side (long girth). My saddle fitter said that most horses need the narrow gauge - it's surprising how wide they can look but take the narrow.
Re people saying it gapes - that is apparently to allow movement of the sternum when the horse is breathing so it shouldn't be gaping all the time but you're unlikely to be looking when they are being active.

Nari

Visit site
I haven't tried the Professional's Choice but I've been using the Prolite girth on my Sec D for just under a year now & I'm very impressed. He has a forward girth groove that tends to pull the saddle forward & makes it unstable, plus he can get very girthy due to a whorl on his midline where the saddle goes. The Prolite is fab at holding the saddle in place, he's never girthy with it & I can actually leave a hole as slack in it with the saddle still remaining firmly in place even if he's a bit bright. I found I do have to rinse any wash off to keep it soft, and because of that I bought a spare because the fairy has strong views on damp girths, but that's my only niggle.

Taliesan

Visit site
I resisted buying the pro choice for years, I didn't see how it could work being so straight (he'd always had atherstones originally) and his increasingly saggy elbows but it seems to be so soft it doesn't cause issues and hold itself back with the grippiness
Yeah, that is part of my thinking. With it being a straight girth I just can't see it fitting him comfortably. He doesn't seem to mind it, but I guess for peace of mind it would be good to try an anatomically shaped girth to see if it makes any difference to him.

I do like the prolite girth for my horse. He was walking funny on his front legs a while ago (although that wont have been helped by the kissing spine) but the prolite girth did help that as well. Obviously fixing his spine is going to help more, but it did help before we found out about that.
That is interesting to know, thank you. I have been following your journey with your horse (silently without commenting) and I am really pleased you managed to uncover what was causing the issues. I really hope that the KS treatment works well for him. :)

Used the prolite. Correct size. Rubbed my arab raw after hack. Felt awful. Returned. For info only.
Thank you very much for the information. I suppose it is very much what works on one horse won't always work on another. If I do get one I will be keeping a very close eye on it to make sure my horse is OK and it isn't causing any rubs.

Forward girth groove here too and I had tried the Fairfax, Prolite, Pro's Choice, Jaguar (Harry Dabs), Passier.... one other I can't for the life of me remember the name.... they all worked to a degree and each one posing a slightly different little problem. Someone suggested a Stubben string girth... can't say I've noticed the difference in stability and performance between this and the other girths (apart from the price!)...

I have another saddle I use the Jaguar one on from time to time.

Those two seem the most comfy and evenly fitting for her... you have to go through the trial and error phase to get the near-to-perfect fit as you can get with your own particular combinations. Keep trying because you never know. It's not about cost at the end of the day, it's about what fits and performs.

Keep trying :).
You sure have tried a fair amount of girths! It is reassuring to hear that the Pro's Choice and Prolite seemed the most comfy ones for your horse.

That is very true about cost - I am just wary of spending money for the sake of spending money, if that makes sense? I've got it into my head that my horse may be happier with a Prolite / other anatomical girth but I am also not wholly convinced that I actually need to change from the Pro's Choice, as he doesn't seem to mind it at all. It is really useful for me to have the feedback from people who have tried both and their experiences. :)

I recently purchased the prolite. Have the jaguar curved but horse was objecting to it, and the stubben equi-soft caused major saddle instability so went straight back. The Prolite seems to be working well so far, certainly no runs and it is nice and soft and flexible 😊
Thank you very much for the feedback! Did you find you needed to go up a size on the Prolite compared to the girth you used before?

I have prolites for my horses (not tried Professional choice) - there is very little give in the girth for when you initially girth up (if you struggle to get on the first hole both sides with your normal girth may be worth going up a size). I previously had hycomfort dressage girths and cottage craft non-elastic standard girths and didn't change the length in girth at all. I sometimes find it hard to get the girth onto the first hole but once on the girth goes up to 3 on each side (long girth). My saddle fitter said that most horses need the narrow gauge - it's surprising how wide they can look but take the narrow.
Re people saying it gapes - that is apparently to allow movement of the sternum when the horse is breathing so it shouldn't be gaping all the time but you're unlikely to be looking when they are being active.
Hmm, tricky. I wouldn't say I struggle, per se, as the ends on my current girth are elasticated. So I can get it onto the first hole OK. My horse could do with toning up his tummy somewhat though so if it is a bit on the smaller side to start off with I am sure we could cope with that.

I checked my horse according to the fairfax sizing and he would need standard, but I can see how horses could also benefit from the narrow gauge. I guess there wouldn't be much harm on purchasing this one off eBay to give it a go. If it doesn't work I can always resell it.

I haven't tried the Professional's Choice but I've been using the Prolite girth on my Sec D for just under a year now & I'm very impressed. He has a forward girth groove that tends to pull the saddle forward & makes it unstable, plus he can get very girthy due to a whorl on his midline where the saddle goes. The Prolite is fab at holding the saddle in place, he's never girthy with it & I can actually leave a hole as slack in it with the saddle still remaining firmly in place even if he's a bit bright. I found I do have to rinse any wash off to keep it soft, and because of that I bought a spare because the fairy has strong views on damp girths, but that's my only niggle.
Thank you for the feedback. It is good to know that it holds the saddle in place. I've never had an issue with mine slipping, but this could also be because the Pro's Choice girth is neoprene and excellent at sticking. If I get one I'll definitely be meticulous about cleaning it, I think I am more bothered about unclean tack than my horse is!