Are Rambos still worth it?

DirectorFury

Visit site
M needs a load of new rugs and I've decided I may as well get her some decent ones that'll last for the next 10+ years. Are Rambos still good and worth the price tag?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have never been disappointed by a Rambo, but have not had to buy one for years since they all lasted so well.

My new horse has 2 Rhinos though. I have also had a Rhino that also lasted over 12 years in a larger size, so did not buy the more expensive Rambo when I needed smaller ones. The Rhinos are a bit cheaper and seem just as well designed and waterproof.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
In my personal experience no they really aren't what they once where, now they are made in China for the most part they are very third rate i think. I have had 2 new ones added to my old collection (which are well over 10 years old and still going strong albeit rather faded and frayed looking) in last couple of years and stitching has come undone....waterproofing failed on one within just a few short weeks. and Horseware Ireland were just rude and dismissive when I tried to deal with the issues through them. I am now trying Premier Equine and Bucas rugs and so far I am much more impressed than the Rambo's and Bucas in particular could not have been more helpful over my quest to find rugs that fitted my donkeys and now they are sporting very nice snug as a bug Bucas rugs. Sadly I think Horseware have lost their way in their search for ever more cheaply manufactured goods and are largely trading on their old reputation than no longer stands good.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Rambos all round here.
Newest one is a couple of years old, oldest is ancient. definitely still worth it for me and I've never ever been disappointed by them.
I'm a convert to the liners so if starting again I'd buy a 0g supreme or original and add liners as necessary, that gives you everything you need for the minimum outlay and max convenience as you can throw the liners in a domestic washing machine.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The Rambos are still made in Ireland according to the website.

Today, our Rambo range is still made in the same town in Ireland under Tom’s watchful eye and with the same attention to detail and high quality material that we prided ourselves on in 1985.

I also haven't bought one recently, so can't comment on a new V old one.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I love them 😊
Bought a new one this winter for new horse, my other horse is still wearing hers which are really old. Really happy with the new one, seems to be the same good quality as the original ones I have.

Wheels

Visit site
Still good. I have them in various ages including the most recent at 2 years

I bought a rhino this winter which is still v nice but not in the same league as the Rambo

DirectorFury

Visit site
Thanks all, I've ordered her just a no-fill turnout for now :). I've gone for the 'Wug' cut neck, hopefully it won't ruin her mane!

The liner system looks useful but I suspect that the YO won't want to be faffing with liners regularly so I'll look at getting a mw in the summer sales.

BlackRider

Visit site
No I bought one 3 years ago and it leaked really badly in the seems, sent it back and got a replacement, and exactly the same thing happened. Might have been a faulty batch but gave up with them after that.

(I'd got older ones over 10 years old that had never leaked!)

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Thanks all, I've ordered her just a no-fill turnout for now :). I've gone for the 'Wug' cut neck, hopefully it won't ruin her mane!

The liner system looks useful but I suspect that the YO won't want to be faffing with liners regularly so I'll look at getting a mw in the summer sales.
I have a Rambo wug medium-weight and it is great. I bought it second hand about four years ago and it is still going strong. The wug cut is such a good compromise in my opinion, I'm surprised I don't see more horses wearing one given how neck rugs ruin manes. I don't think there's another horse at my yard that wears a half-neck cut rug.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The Rambo optimo is excellent, very expensive but worth the investment. Usually I buy Rhinos now though because they're cheaper but still fit better than other rugs. I also have old Rambos that are 15 years old and are still in perfect condition. I've never had to replace one because it was ripped or damaged. Bucas rugs are also great, but Fals are no longer of the same quality that they were 10 or so years ago. Didn't they move their manufacturing abroad ?

whiteflower

Visit site
Love my Rambo's and brought several new the last few years and pleased, however when I did contact horseware to question if some tabs were missing off a hood or if they had changed the design they were extremely unhelpful and rude. It's a good jobs their rugs are good as if I had to speak to there team again to ask a question it would probably put me off buying !
I also have some rhinos which are also very good and a good compromise of you want to spend a bit less. I've been buying their rugs for over 25 years now

Wheels

Visit site

I use wugs on my natives and part bred PRE - all have lovely long and thick manes

alibali

Visit site
I use a wug on my Arab and his mane is fine hair and doesn't get damaged, got more damage from a standard cut which I found put more pressure on his withers

Silverglen

Visit site
Well considering my horse ripped an amigo in half and removes any other amigo I put on him, I haven't bothered trying the more expensive versions out of fear. Thankfully he seems happy in the cheap rugs I buy him, although he is still trying to teach the other horses to undo his rugs, and failing.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Yes they are! My boy has a varilayer Rambo and it’s brilliant. The vari layer means it’s not too heavy even though it’s a proper 450g heavyweight, it fits beautifully, and the surcingles have a velcro breakaway feature which is comforting given he’s got tangled before now. If I could afford only Rambo’s for him I would. Sadly they don’t make them small enough for my welsh a, so he has a rhino heavyweight. That’s also a great rug, nice and warm, fits well at the shoulders and fairly indestructible. I really rate the Rhinos for when you just can’t stretch to a Rambo.

vam

Visit site
This is a timely thread as I've just ordered a Rhino mw, I got some weatherbeeta rugs but not convinced they fit well enough so bitten the bullet and got a Rhino. If I like it enough I might get the wug version as well

Mule

Visit site
I got one on sale a couple of years ago and I'm happy with it. My original one, from 18 years ago is still going strong but the new one is for a different horse.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
So far so good... bought a new Wug two years ago so can't vouch for longevity yet. However, my old boy came with one that was new to him as a 6yo in 2006 and still has it (Wug that is) 13 years on.

Britestar

Visit site
If anyone is looking, I have a brand new, still with tags on, 5'6" 200g wug for sale. Its navy and silver.
Can send pics if anyone interested. Was £220, will take £170, and can post.

wiglet

Visit site
Rambo rugs are fantastic IMO. Warm but very light to handle, even when wet. Mine have never leaked. My current Rambo Duo is in it's 4th winter and shows no sign of wear, I've not had to have it re-proofed yet (it has a 3 year guarantee to be waterproof), just washed (professionally) each spring. I'll be having it proofed this year... I think.

I still have (and use) my first Duo. It must be 16-17 years old! I just use it as a 100gsm rug and it's still perfectly useable - just a bit tatty on the binding.
They are expensive rugs but worth it in my opinion... HOWEVER, my mare is not a rug wrecker and her field companions don't wreck rugs either. I would be a bit reluctant to turn her out into a field of horses that like to play and rip rugs!