Are single dogs happy?

PoniesRock

Visit site
I have 2 JRTs (sisters) and honestly I think they would be happier if they were on their own. They don't like sharing humans! We got 2 as felt that they would be company for each other, but they spend a lot of their day in different parts of the house.

I have had single dogs before (labs) and never felt they were missing something. Though they were both sociable and suspect they would have enjoyed canine company.
Cassie very much thinks I am her human. So I totally agree with you on the not sharing humans well front! She’s trained me well…. she shares my lunchbox with me everyday, to the extent that I now have to take something in the lunchbox specifically for her to have. I can’t imagine her tolerating having to share her lunch!

nagblagger

Visit site
[QUOTE="[158444],Thank you all I've decided to go for 2 dogs together I know Theo will love it as he's happier around his doggy mates than alone at home even when I'm their he prefers when a doggy friend comes over to play[/QUOTE]

Exciting, are 'we' going doggy shopping - with pictures, mandatory.

[158444]

Visit site
[QUOTE="[158444],Thank you all I've decided to go for 2 dogs together I know Theo will love it as he's happier around his doggy mates than alone at home even when I'm their he prefers when a doggy friend comes over to play

Exciting, are 'we' going doggy shopping - with pictures, mandatory.[/QUOTE]

Yep once I've chosen which breed will be Theo's brother I'm going to crufts and am so excited I'll be looking at Eurasier's and leonbergers although the short lifespans and how heavy they can get worry me about a leon that's why I need to meet both in person

Equi

Visit site
For me based on my dog ownership its unanswerable. The first dog i remember was our lab who had the run of the world, before dogs had to be confined. She knew everyone, everyone knew her, all the dogs knew each other and went back to their own houses. She was a great dog. After we moved out to the sticks and after a time without dogs we got 2 from someone leaving the country and we kept them in the yard/fenced in then i added my staffy. Staffy didnt care much for the bitch but tolerated the dog. After the bitch died she was respectably quiet for herself, but dog who was with that bitch since a pup went downhill very quickly and badly, so died only a week later. the staffy (who was mostly dog aggressive to any other bar a few select) definitely went a bit morose which surprised us. A few months later we got another lab similar to the one who died and she instantly ignored him (which was good) and they never had any issue. When the staffy died the new lab did deffo seem a little down but then he was also getting old and it could be put down to that.

We did for a time have a mini poodle (the roaming dog was still here) he never left the house but eventually went to live with my gran and he was the happiest most obedient dog ive ever known. his life was gran and when i visited with my dogs he didnt care, it was all about gran.

norolim

Visit site
I have a single dog, and as much as I'd like another, I'm almost 100% confident it would make him very unhappy. He likes other dogs (in moderation) but doesn't seek them out and tends to prefer his own space. Plus he's 10 in a couple of days so a bit of a grumpy old man!

scats

Visit site
I had a single dog for a good number of years. JD was quite happy in her own company though, so I don’t think she was bothered at all. We now have another two with her and she still prefers to be off separately in the house to the other two. Our middle dog Bess is a bit of an attention seeker and although I think she would miss Lily if she went, there’s a bit of Bess that I actually think would love to be an only dog.
I really think it depends on the dog and the breed.

[158444]

Visit site
I'm bringing this thread back after talking with mom I told her I really don't want a second dog I'm only doing it for Theo as everyone says he'd be better off with a buddy but I do not want a second dog I prefer giving all my attention to just one dog but I do leave Theo on his own for 8hrs 3 days a week but he has 2 dog walkers who come in to break his day and give him company and I spend every spare moment with him and focus my weekends and days off around him going places for him. And Theo seems happy enough on his own as he just sleeps and gets excited when his dog walkers arrive but everyone tells me to get a second dog as he's probably lonely on his own but I don't want tow dogs I'm happy with just Theo but I don't want him to be lonely.

Is it possible he's not lonely? I keep being told that Golden's are very social so can't be on their own but is it possible he's fine and that any golden in the future will be fine on their own?

[158444]

Visit site
I think he sounds to have a life a lot of dogs could only dream of. He might prefer to have you to himself.

Thanks , I actually love my job but hate going to work as I just want to be with him.

I did ask one of his dog walkers who is also a dog behaviorist/trainer and she said never get another dog for your current one only get a dog for YOU not Theo. She also said that most dogs are actually fine on their own and having a buddy is more for the human than the dog most dogs would properly prefer to go back to being the only dog

windand rain

Visit site
Willow stays on her own if we go out sometimes for about 8 hours if we are out with family it is rare but she doesn't bother just sleeps

[158444]

Visit site
Willow stays on her own if we go out sometimes for about 8 hours if we are out with family it is rare but she doesn't bother just sleeps

Same Theo mainly sleeps I also leave him with some brain game toys to play with and a long with frozen peanut butter in once he's tired his brain out he just sleeps. I also walk him before I go

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
The German Shepherd I recently lost was definitely happier after we added our Miniature Schnauzer to the family, she wasn't unhappy previously but her joy at having a doggy family member was really surprising because she was absolutely not interested in making friends with dogs outside of the family. They were best buddies their entire lives and Shadow has taken Willow's death very hard, he is trying his best to make friends with my mom's Australian Shepherd whom he previously never had time for. Clover, the Australian Shepherd, would much prefer to be an only dog!

In your situation I would not feel pressure to add a second dog to the family. Theo seems to get plenty of canine socialization and if he seems content at being left alone while you are at work I really wouldn't worry about him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks , I actually love my job but hate going to work as I just want to be with him.

I did ask one of his dog walkers who is also a dog behaviorist/trainer and she said never get another dog for your current one only get a dog for YOU not Theo. She also said that most dogs are actually fine on their own and having a buddy is more for the human than the dog most dogs would properly prefer to go back to being the only dog

I don't agree with your behaviourist. We have had a lot of dogs in our extended family, mostly kept in multiples. In this house we had 7 for several years. I can only think of one who preferred to be an only dog.
One of the stories my 90 yr old aunt tells is of the first dog she and my uncle got as newly-weds. They took her to the vet, as she seemed very 'flat'. Vet said that there was nothing physically wrong but the dog needed a companion (aunt wfh at the time, so dog wasn't left for long). They rang a breeder who told them to bring the dog with them when they visited, they went on 3 buses on a snowy day. Breeder said 'let her loose here and she will find her friend'. The next time they saw their dog she had another one following her around, they took them both home and the first one was fine thereafter.
Dogs are naturally pack animals.

Annette4

Visit site
It entirely depends on the dog and how they are raised. Jack would have happily stayed a lone dog but was equally happy sharing his home with a series of other dogs and foster dogs.

Fizz did not cope as an only dog and would not cope but Dobby and Ginny could go to being only dogs tomorrow with no problem at all.

nagblagger

Visit site
I can't help you. My first dog was a border collie and he definitely wouldn't have wanted to share me, he had lots of mental stimulation so when he was left he slept, he just didn't seem interested with other dogs out on walks.
However. I have had 2 dogs over the last few years and seeing them play together is great, they are not 'close' in that they do not sleep in the same bed, but they are company for each other when we go out.
Talking with OH, it seems we will always have 2 dogs now!

planete

Visit site
Our four dogs never have a cross word and their relationships seem very stress free but it is very obvious they are all ecstatic when they are given individual outings. When they get to be an only dog for a bit they are at their happiest (we take one dog at a time with us on stately homes and garden visits). They never play together but love playing and training with us. It has made me wonder how much the pack business really applies to pet dogs in a home setting when given enough contact with their owners and enough stimulation. We are fortunate in that I am retired and my OH works from home though. If we had to leave one dog on his own a lot, I would also worry about how he was when left and invest in some kind of monitoring device to help me decide whether he needed company.

BeansNsausages

Visit site
Depends.

My last dog would have loved to be an only dog. She as good as looked down her nose at the rest of my pack.

I have three currently. One would be happy alone, in fact, I think she would prefer that her and I were the only two beings in existence. The other two adore each other and I'm sure would miss the companionship.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think Bear was ok being alone for several months, but the OH thought he was flat. He had a lovely few weekends away and all the attention. Now he has to be quick to get on my knee before Goose, who adores him. Bear does not share the feeling. I suppose it depends what they're used to.

PurBee

Visit site
It seems to depend on the dog and their type.

My gsd gets on with all other dogs well, and we had another older dog here for 10 of her years, they were great pals. But she doesnt share her main human well. So when the other older dog died this past christmas, she was ultra fine with it, as she no longer has to dominate her position as being ‘top dog’ when im in the room.
She’s a 1 person dog and couldnt give a drat about needing any other person or animal really.

We work from home, but when out for hours at a stretch its nice 2 dogs can keep each other company. If we were to work away again, i’d get another as company for her, if she couldnt come to work with me.

I have 2 cats, but they rarely get on, 1 cat plays and sleeps with the dog than wish to ever go near the other cat! They seem to all have unique personalities, and it’s hard to guess without trying a pal for your dog.