Are there any rules regarding a racehorse wearing bling!?

Visit site
I doubt the owner would ever be crowing about getting another 'best turned out' if she used bling though

Technically it's not the owner that's got the BTO but the lad or lass who took the horse racing. They will have groomed, plaited, 1/4 markered etc. Nowt to do with the owner in reality.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
What I think is unfair is people saying "poor horse" or "have respect for the horse" my horses get the absolute best care. They have a massage every two weeks and laser therapy. Nothing's wrong with said horse but I just want him to have the best. He gets the best possible feed, care and endless love. I see him at least two times a week and my lad wants for nothing. So if he has a little bit of glitter or bling then I think the "poor horse" is doing rather well! He has lots of girlfriends and has a lot of presence so who's to say he wouldn't like it!

I understand it's not for everyone and I'm not talking about covering my lad in it more like something subtle. It's just a bit of fun and something different. Maybe if one of the big boy owners did it it would get a much different reaction compared to little old me!

It was me that said 'have respect for the horse'. My comment has no unfairness or insult meant. I am sure, as your comments above state, your horse wants for nothing and hopefully when his racing career ends that will remain to be the case. I have no idea how long you have owned/ridden/competed horses for, I am guessing of course, but possibly not a huge length of time. If you are fortunate enough to be involved with horses in the long term, experience plenty, see plenty and enjoy huge highs interspersed with far too many lows, I promise you that there will be a point when the words of 'respect the horse' will be understood for its real meaning.

Apologies for any upset caused to you.

jokadoka

Visit site
I will start with saying I have never used glitter spray or glitter oil, can't see me doing it either... BUT...

I think if it within the rules and OP would find it fun and it would enhance their day then they are entitled.

If a yard does not want to do this then they could politely decline, stating that OP's horse is a shop window for their business, and this is not a representation they wish to pursue.

If there is not time to apply a specific hoof dressing then the owner needs telling that, and the owner could either choose to remove their horse to a yard who would have time, or pay extra for more race day staff who could apply the dressing, and indeed lead the horse up.

What I can't stand is the way that owners are paying for the service, and then people are "forgetting" the items that the owner has carefully selected, "spilling" the item that the owner had paid for and generally lying to the owner.

As a horse owner, indeed as a human being, I would rather be told the truth, as in sorry, not on my yard, so I can make a decision. It is so disrespectful to owners.

Couldn't have put it better myself! Spot on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
http://www.skysports.com/racing/form-profiles/horse/621028/gold-flash
These stats are free of charge, a very good database,,,,,,

And your point is? I'm sure several of us looked up those stats as soon as we knew the name of the horse.

We all knew the horse was a low end performer, never going to run in the Derby, who is owned for the pure fun of owning a racehorse. Racing needs every one of these horses and owners it can get it's hands on.

EC, you are a gardener. When was the last time you actually had paid employment in a racing stables?

Last edited:

Lucy1992

Visit site
It was me that said 'have respect for the horse'. My comment has no unfairness or insult meant. I am sure, as your comments above state, your horse wants for nothing and hopefully when his racing career ends that will remain to be the case. I have no idea how long you have owned/ridden/competed horses for, I am guessing of course, but possibly not a huge length of time. If you are fortunate enough to be involved with horses in the long term, experience plenty, see plenty and enjoy huge highs interspersed with far too many lows, I promise you that there will be a point when the words of 'respect the horse' will be understood for its real meaning.

Apologies for any upset caused to you.

I've owned horses for 18 years and I still have my very first pony! before that I was on horses before I could walk!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Lucy1992..........have any plans been made as to when your horse is next running? Keep us posted! I for one would be keen to follow the 'forum race horse' - and not just to see if he has sparkly hooves next time out!

Lucy1992

Visit site
Lucy1992..........have any plans been made as to when your horse is next running? Keep us posted! I for one would be keen to follow the 'forum race horse' - and not just to see if he has sparkly hooves next time out!

He will come into his own I'd say in a couple of months . :). We are all just really working behind the sences to make him the very best horse he can be but that doesn't happen over night unfortunately haha! If you want to see updates on him and photos feel free to add me on Facebook :)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I'm not really a fan of racing, not against it, just find it boring. Years of working in a bookies maybe? All I do know is, when I do have the odd bet, I choose a name I like, or the colours. If I went to the races, I would put my couple of quid on the horse with the sparkly hooves, or fancy quarter marks.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He will come into his own I'd say in a couple of months . :). We are all just really working behind the sences to make him the very best horse he can be but that doesn't happen over night unfortunately haha! If you want to see updates on him and photos feel free to add me on Facebook :)

I don't do Facebook. I demand updates on here :) !

VikingSong

Visit site
So someone connected to One For Arthur posts on the forum. How exciting. I was going to back your lad, then changed my mind last minute and backed Vincente instead... he fell first!

As for the topic matter..

I can understand most peoples' views on this. Personally, I'm very old fashioned and traditional. I don't like "blinged up" horses. I think it's tacky. Sorry if that offends. However, if an owner wanted me to apply glittery hoof oil then I would. 'Tis their horse, after all.

Pigeon

Visit site
No horse needs bling. Just good health which will give plenty of shine in the skin, well turned out and quality tack. Respect him, don't turn him into a Christmas tree.

15626083_10205787656608942_3577226052319836666_o.jpg

SpringArising

Visit site
No horse needs bling.

There are many things horses don't need which we have for them anyway. If we all had the bare minimum and there were no advancements in the way we think about equestrianism it would be a very boring and backwards industry. You're entitled to treat yours how you like, just like the OP is entitled to.