Are there ANY sprays that are effective against horseflies?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Personally, I have given up with fly sprays. But I am being driven mad by the horseflies when I try to work my mare. She goes beserk with them. She's fine in the field as has a fly rug. Is there anything that you can spray on which actually works? I am not talking about repelling midges or ordinary flies. Thanks

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I haven't found any that work to any degree, like Scats I find power phaser the most effective with other flies but it doesn't really help with horseflies. I've bought a ride on fly rug to see how it will work but haven't tried it yet. It doesn't have a belly flap so have my reservations about it but thought it was worth a try.

Micky

Visit site
I'm sure there's one they use in France, can't get it over here but can order it online through amazon I think, meant to be very good but pricey! Sorry I cannot remember the name, going back a few years!

autumn7

Visit site
Tri-Tec 14 has solved all my major fly problems since I discovered it three summers ago. Pricey but I buy a 3.8L cannister for approx £105 annually for two horses who live out with fly masks only, (no fly rugs) and invariably I have a little left over at the end of a season. Needs applying approx every third day when flies are at their very worst. Google reviews. Serious stuff and it works on everything.
There are 80 reviews to read here for starters - http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/essentials/fly-prevention/chemical-fly-sprays/tri-tec?zenid=dc8d44c6305228968e3dddc00a2b6d31#reviews_scroller_wrapper

Last edited:

Charmin

Visit site
Horseflies hunt by sight rather than smell, so are attracted to dark horses the most. Only true effective way to prevent bites is a fly rug which is light in colour, which prevents them from being able to bite through the fabric.

We use power phaser which keeps most of the other flies at bay.

MDB

Visit site
Another vote for Tri-tec spray. It is the only thing that I can spray on the morning and they are still fly free in the evening.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Tri-Tec 14 has solved all my major fly problems since I discovered it three summers ago. Pricey but I buy a 3.8L cannister for approx £105 annually for two horses who live out with fly masks only, (no fly rugs) and invariably I have a little left over at the end of a season. Needs applying approx every third day when flies are at their very worst. Google reviews. Serious stuff and it works on everything.
There are 80 reviews to read here for starters - http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/essent...28968e3dddc00a2b6d31#reviews_scroller_wrapper

Another vote for Tri-tec spray. It is the only thing that I can spray on the morning and they are still fly free in the evening.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I do also have a ride on fly rug which has long tastles around the bottom, but at the moment my mare is in a very tricky part of her education and anything else flapping about is just complicating things, though it may be the only chance.

cundlegreen

Visit site
You might try spraying pig oil on. I've found any insect does not like to land on an oily surface. Worth a try before splashing out on an expensive spray first.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
If you know anyone in the military ask for some of their insect repellent - it has a very high percentage of DEET. It comes in a small tube and I rub some sparingly on the cobs round their ears, below the eyes and round their sheaths in the evening. Old cob has sweet itch and suffers horribly from insect bites but this plus a good fly rug and a mask help massively.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It does not work for longer than a ride, but I find a 50:50 mix of Dettol and vinegar very effective. It has to be Dettol. It creates an oily mix that repels by smell and as a barrier, I think.

Be careful on thin skinned horses and don't soak them in it, it can cause the skin to go scurfy. In really sensitive ones, it can caused raised patches if soaked in it.

I either spray on lightly or wipe on lightly.

An old remedy for the head area is a sprig of elder tucked in the bridle. I've no idea if that even works!

alainax

Visit site
Tri tec is wonderful stuff, just be aware it is quite a potent chemical, so don't go breathing too much in or dousing yourself in it!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I have ordered some tri tec. I may also try the detol and vinegar. I haven't worked her today. Far too hot for both of us. Normally they are out 24/7 but I have brought them all in today. I hate hot weather. I prefer winter to this.

Abi90

Visit site
If you know anyone in the military ask for some of their insect repellent - it has a very high percentage of DEET. It comes in a small tube and I rub some sparingly on the cobs round their ears, below the eyes and round their sheaths in the evening. Old cob has sweet itch and suffers horribly from insect bites but this plus a good fly rug and a mask help massively.

I have some of this and unfortunately I still get bitten!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I use Deet Power...it stinks but gives them a couple of hours relief when turned out in the evening.
I haven't found anything that really works when ridden...as soon as they sweat, that's it!

ameeyal

Visit site
im trailing tri tec this year for my black horses as they get bitten the most out riding, so far so good, doesnt deter them 100% but they dont seem to linger once they have landed on the horse. i found it works better applying it 1 hour before riding.

Alec Swan

Visit site
'Sprays' —— No. Any treatment which contains Alphacypermethrin is as close as we can get to a genuine and long lasting repellent. The correct application protocol is vital to success, and when it fails it's always because the chemical wasn't properly applied.

Alec.

edit: I've only used DEET on myself in Africa, so can't comment on it's use for equines. It worked very well for me, so perhaps ….

Last edited:

cobsarefab

Visit site
I find power phaser the best, if you can stand the smell. Still not perfect, but I do think it keeps the majority away.

I've found the strongest jungle spray works for me and my mare. (I skin tested first) she has had no ill effects from it and it keeps them off. Tried using natural stuff and gave up.

fornema

Visit site
'Sprays' —— No. Any treatment which contains Alphacypermethrin is as close as we can get to a genuine and long lasting repellent. The correct application protocol is vital to success, and when it fails it's always because the chemical wasn't properly applied.

Alec.

edit: I've only used DEET on myself in Africa, so can't comment on it's use for equines. It worked very well for me, so perhaps ….

While effective and have used it on mine before, it will melt anything that contains plastic - learned this by melting my phone and the floor coating when i was travelling so it will do the same to a fly rug, its great stuff if you dont rug and you don't spray near tack.

I use power phaser currently and definitely the most effective I've used but it does not smell great.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Well I soaked her in dri tec yesterday an hour before riding and she was still being eaten alive at 5.30 pm when ridden :( Dri tec is supposed to be insecticidal too.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Slightly off topic but does anyone rate these zebra print fly rugs?

Im another for power phaser but its very hit an miss because horseflies are sight predators!

huskydamage

Visit site
I get a bad reaction to horsefly bites so I am really paranoid about them. I avoid riding down paths where they hang out ( one particular tree area has loads!) and carry a whisk so I can bat them off. Spray wise they all suck tbh I use power phaser or naf deet power, if tri tec was a normal price I would buy it more but I don't feel it works as great as it's price hike.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
I had a ride last week having not put any fly spray on and I had to cut it short because my horse was obviously getting really frustrated by the flies. That night I bathed him in Deosect (I know you're supposed to use it sparingly, we had it quite watered down!) and then rode him the next day and only had to kill one fly- it really did work.

However a couple of days after the deosect bath and it was back to normal- but i'm not happy to douse him in that stuff too often as it really does just smell like paint stripper!

Sophire

Visit site
I have had good results with Bremsen Bremse but equally don't suffer too badly with horseflies where we are so if you're particularly afflicted I couldn't vouch 100%. It's strong and I apply weekly to my girl who is out 24/7.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Slightly off topic but does anyone rate these zebra print fly rugs?

Im another for power phaser but its very hit an miss because horseflies are sight predators!

They are good if you don't have elephants.
Just brought two for mine and they are goimg back as even.thoughy it's 7ft and 6'9 the 7ft one doesn't even reach under his belly.
The other one will be on six months box rest from tomorrow so won't be needing it.