Are xc colours no more?

Ella19

Visit site
Watching Burghly on tv I noticed this year a lot of the competitiors no longer have xc colours as such, opting for black or white. I know top level have never had garish colours and patterns but there used to be more variation.

Is there a reason for this "uniform" of back and white? Is it happening through the levels?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Virtually all the NZ riders seem to sport their nationalistic black, and they're so much at the forefront of Burghley this year, I suspect they may skewing your perspective :D

Lolo

Visit site
A lot of the Brits competing are ones who have earnt their flags too, and I reckon once you've got the flags on your hat XC colours go rather by the wayside!

hairycob

Visit site
It's not just at top level. Last Saturday at Keysoe - BE100 & Novice - we commented on the same thing, so many black, navy or white tops. I have noticed there is far more colour at unaffiliated.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't think it has changed much? Anyone who can wear their flag has always done so so there have been a lot of navy and black hats my whole childhood?

Lolo

Visit site
And I also wonder if there's a ride of people mimicking the 'look' of professionals. 'Pro' isn't colours all over, it's a bright hatsilk with plain sleeves and maybe a coloured P2. Maybe it's more common to see the matching numnahs and sleeves and socks and boots and everything at unaffiliated because it doesn't have that attitude?

I know my sister has a plain BP, a black P2, plain navy sleeves, brown numnah and then a bright hat silk because in her opinion it looks more professional and that's the image she's trying to project...

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Crikey is my OH in fashion or has he started a trend, he has only ever worn black or white xc, and matchy matchy is a swear word to him:):):)

Thistle

Visit site
It's not just at top level. Last Saturday at Keysoe - BE100 & Novice - we commented on the same thing, so many black, navy or white tops. I have noticed there is far more colour at unaffiliated.

Noticed the same on Mon too, hard to tell people apart, esp as less flamboyant coloured horses as you move up the levels too.

It was all black or navy and shirt sleeves on brownish horses in the intermediate on Mon

Jane_Lou

Visit site
K's colours have always been driven by the colour of her body protector. When she had a Rodney Powell one she wore navy blue sleeves and a blue silk with white stars. Once she got the Outlyne she shifted to black sleeves and a silk with gold stars and has recently added a black bobble! Her P2 is black as well so the whole outfit looks very smart.

hairycob

Visit site
It gets a bit tricky when you say to a rider "you are after no 123" then they look round the collecting ring & ask which one's that & you realise they are all on bays & wearing black or navy. It feels like the only variation is those times all the horses in the collecting ring are grey.

Rosiefan

Visit site
I like people all wearing different colours - much easier to work out what's happening. Rosie has a white hat with royal blue spots because those were her racing colours when she point 2 pointed. She does have a matching top but wears whatever top she feels like most of the time - usually a thin short sleeved one because she gets so hot when she has several rides.

longdog

Visit site
Funnily enough, we are selling far fewer XC sets either online or in our shop. People tend to be using base layers in black, navy or white under their BP's, but are going for jazzy hat covers

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I also think that changes body protectors since I was little have played a part, when i first started eventing my Bp was this flimsy white jockey vest I tucked into my jods... Meaning I wore a rugby top over it, roll on 20 years & a customized coloured BP is more expensive than a black or navy off the shelf one, and with shoulder protectors on, then putting a thick rugby top over the top isn't the comfiest... Technical fabrics have meant you can wear one layer & a BP & stay nice & cool

Saying all that I have a v bright xc combo, with bright base layer & customized BP! they are the same colours I've had since I was 12, & they were also my racing colours, so pretty deep rooted!

Seemingly gone are the days of all the pros wearing their own colours, I think sponsors may play a part in that too, in what they provide pro riders with, which yhen of course influces us mere mortals!

Lolo

Visit site
When did XC colours properly come to prominence? I can remember being gobsmacked by Andrew Hoy's spaceman outfit when I was younger...

dafthoss

Visit site
I still xc in a bright blue top with navy bp and hat silk. Can't decide if I want a hat silk to match my top or not still, I think the navy hat looks quite smart.

But then I don't cause any problem for any one to spot, the yellow pony that I'm sat on makes us very obvious.

Nicnac

Visit site
I really don't like the block dark colours - thank goodness for Lucinda Fredericks and her penchant for pink - imminently recognisable which is now missing from so many combinations. What about Paul Tapner in his bright red - thank goodness some pros are still individuals!

EveningStar

Visit site
Lolo - I've been watching the best of burghley on the Burghley TV site and in the early nineties Pippa was all yellow and plenty of the others had colour.
Having only in the last few years really got into eventing and followed whos who. Watching Burghley 2006 and seeing Andrew Hoy - :O !!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I hadn't thought about this before, but you are right . . . and Z is similarly boring/conservative - either a white top or a white top with grey stripes, black hat silk, black body protector - and as Kal's tack is black and his numnah is grey (as is he) that's a pretty monochrome combination ;).

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
I really don't like the block dark colours - thank goodness for Lucinda Fredericks and her penchant for pink - imminently recognisable which is now missing from so many combinations. What about Paul Tapner in his bright red - thank goodness some pros are still individuals!

. . . and Mary King in her bright green :).

P

mil1212

Visit site
I grew up wil ginny elliot (leng!) in purple, lucinda green in yellow and ian stark in white, cross countrry colours were instamtly recognisable then (70's and 80's). My colours have always been royal blue, that coupled with a coloured horse means my mum can spot me many fields away!

glamourpuss

Visit site
My colours are black & white checked. The top is a tight fitted 'base' style.
I love my colours, makes it nice & easy to find me on pro photos, easy for friends & family to spot me.
I've also noticed this change to the darker, solid colours....t'is a bit dull, no? The one opportunity as event riders to have a bit of fun & it's ignored to wear boring dull colours [sigh]
I think I'll stick to my brighter colours. I'm not a pro so I don't care if I look one TBH :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I also think that changes body protectors since I was little have played a part, when i first started eventing my Bp was this flimsy white jockey vest I tucked into my jods... Meaning I wore a rugby top over it, roll on 20 years & a customized coloured BP is more expensive than a black or navy off the shelf one, and with shoulder protectors on, then putting a thick rugby top over the top isn't the comfiest... Technical fabrics have meant you can wear one layer & a BP & stay nice & cool

Saying all that I have a v bright xc combo, with bright base layer & customized BP! they are the same colours I've had since I was 12, & they were also my racing colours, so pretty deep rooted!

Seemingly gone are the days of all the pros wearing their own colours, I think sponsors may play a part in that too, in what they provide pro riders with, which yhen of course influces us mere mortals!

I agree. I have a navy BP as navy and black are the cheapest and they're expensive enough as it is. As I result I tend to wear navy under it. Also, I am untidy and disorganised and mean with money so £3 primark long sleeve t shirts suit me better than £60 of XC top as I can have loads so not have to worry about washing it and I can't loose all of them!

So basically, I think elf and safety is probably the reason you see a lot less colour now days!

Dunlin

Visit site
I too grew up watching Ginny (Purple), Ian (White), Mary (Green), Lucinda (Yellow), Lucinda F (Pink), Pippa (Yellow, black hat silk), Tina Gifford (blue and white) and everyone was very recognizable especially Bruce Davidson in his stripey red and yellow outfit!

It is a shame that the colours seemed to have disappeared these days because it is very plain and boring except for Mary and Lucinda F. My hero's back in the day were Mary King, Tina Cook and Ginny Holgate so I had a purple jumper with a green body protector and blue hat silk, probably looked hideous hahaha but back then body protectors came in lots of different colours, I even had a tartan coloured airowear one at some point!

It does cost more to have a coloured P2, lots more if it's more than 1 colour! It's a shame as I loved the colourful days of eventing!

hairycob

Visit site
But you can wear any colour with black/navy. I'm sure Primark do long sleeve t shirts in bright colours. Matched to a coloured silk would be so much nicer & I wouldn't be standing next to the starter trying to point out which navy on bay was the next to start. Anybody who has been to Keysoe will know how big the warm up area is - please make it easier for us & brighten up our day. Makes it easy for the commentators to say something positive if you are having a rubbish round as well - jolly in purple, dashing in yellow etc

TableDancer

Visit site
An interesting thread :) (And you don't often get me commenting on clothing, for good reason as anyone who knows me in RL will concur... :p)

I think fashion has a lot to do with it, and most of the pros have been going for block colours for a while - probably something of a backlash against the wave of amateurs in ever-brighter and more outlandish colour combinations, also easier as you can wear the same baselayer for all three phases and just put/take a jacket and body protector on/off, much easier if swapping between multiple rides at a one day... As the fashion moves down the levels what's the betting the tide will turn again and the pros will move back towards the bolder colours :D

It is true about the navy flag hat silks too, particularly with those earned on Youth teams: since miniTD was given her flag Charles Owen helmet and silk last year she has steadfastly worn it with pride and abandoned her emerald green and purple hooped silk - which says it all really :D :D And most of her contemporaries who have the coveed navy UJ silk choose to wear it - it is inevitable, then, that you start to move the rest of your colours to coordinate...

Jesstickle

Visit site
But you can wear any colour with black/navy. I'm sure Primark do long sleeve t shirts in bright colours. Matched to a coloured silk would be so much nicer & I wouldn't be standing next to the starter trying to point out which navy on bay was the next to start. Anybody who has been to Keysoe will know how big the warm up area is - please make it easier for us & brighten up our day. Makes it easy for the commentators to say something positive if you are having a rubbish round as well - jolly in purple, dashing in yellow etc

That's true but I don't want to wear orange t shirts on a daily basis and I do wear the navy ones and the white ones!

But in future I will try and find something more interesting. I have no need to look like a pro. Ten seconds of watching me ride would assure anyone that I am most definitely not :D

Dunlin

Visit site
Ahhh now Orange was always an easy one to spot in the 90's, Victoria Latta and Chief!

I have a Zebra print hat silk waiting to be delivered, not seen anyone else with one so I should be pretty easy to spot! :D

hairycob

Visit site
I have a purple top & a bright blue top - both base layers from TKMaxx. But then I'm another who will never fool anyone that I am a pro as I grimace over a teeny log!