Are you a horsey snob?

Fii

Visit site
What do you regard as "not the done thing" even though , A) its not dangerous , B) it doesnt harm the horse or rider. But just because you dont like it, or think its right!

Delicious_D

Visit site
Dressing your 16hh horse head to toe in KP equestrian shocking pink... SMOKING ON HORSEBACK make me mad and i usually say something!!!

Copperpot

Visit site
I smoke on hacks all the time. It teaches him good manners to stand in windy conditions whilst I struggle to light my cigarette inside my jacket :)

Copperpot

Visit site
Same here. My horse and i will do what I like whilst on board him :) I wouldn't smoke on someone else's horse unless they were ok with it. I don't make him inhale or anything :)

sazzle44

Visit site
Having your fringe stuck out under your hat - it just looks ridiculous, get some hairpins and dry shampoo ;) Or not having your hair tied up at all. I'm not bothered about loose pony tails (at home) but it should AT LEAST be in a pony tail!
My latest grumble is people who plait their horse's mane but leave the tail loose and unpulled. I know it's the fashion at the moment but it looks a bit pants personally.
Not that I really care that much, I just see these things and go 'arrghhh' in my head then carry on lol

DragonSlayer

Visit site
No.

As long as it's not directly causing the horse physical pain etc etc....I don't care what other people do, their business.

Motto - Live and let live.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
People who post on here schooling at home on a horse that is better turned out that I am when I compete i.e. super clean horse; full matchy matchy; beautifully dressed; make up; flowing clean tangle free mane & tail with not a spot of mud.

How do they do it?! Jealous? Hell yes! :p

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I smoke occasionally on horse back. If it was good enough for Tom Dorrance, its good enough for me.

My only dislike is fluffy fleece sheep onesies for horses, but I wouldn't tell the owner it's naff.

tessybear

Visit site
I'd never say anything at all nor do i really bother what other people do if im honest, dont have time to worry :D But what does make me go huh ? in my head would be a certain local rider who goes out for a hack dressed like she should be in the show ring... how does she find the time to look so good ? :eek: Im out in my half chaps, black joddies, hi-viz and whatever else looks warm :D

I guess this makes me the opposite of a snob ? a tramp maybe ;)

Last edited:

3Beasties

Visit site
No.

As long as it's not directly causing the horse physical pain etc etc....I don't care what other people, their business.

Motto - Live and let live.

This.

There are things I wouldn't do, such as smoke on a horse (or at all actually), but if someone else wants to then that is their choice. There are far too many busy bodies around telling others what they should and shouldn't do but IMO if it doesn't harm the horse then it isn't my concern.

Last edited:

lucindakay

Visit site
"horsey furniture" ex. ear bonnets on 12hh ponies, unnecessary martingales, when people use dutch gags for no reason, useless grackles because they look 'good'... stuff like that

i also do not like pink or crystals near horses but each to their own, if it makes someone happier and feel better then go ahead but never near my horse

Copperpot

Visit site
Tbh I'm not bothered what other people do with their horses. As long as they are happy and horse is well cared for.

I also hack out in Prolite eventing boots shock horror! They aren't for competing, just for every day use. I'm a horsey snobs nightmare :)

windand rain

Visit site
I dont care what people do on their own horses on mine I prefer them not to smoke for fear of the horse getting burned. I dont really like my horses going out of the field dirty but with a cream dun and the current weather I am having to be a bit less fussy Especially as it is her aim in life to be a tortoise with a mud shell and dawdling about

Buds_mum

Visit site
Smoking on your horse is disgraceful imo. Akin to smoking whilst holding children, your still sharing all the smoke with someone who has not chosen to be in its presence.

Riding with muddy boots, seems somehow disrespectful, especially getting on someone else's horse/saddle in them!

Really scruffy turnout, why bother having a horse and all the tat if you can't even keep them looking presentable :S

No offence intended :p

WelshD

Visit site
I may get shot down for this..... show or bling browbands on an every day bridle on a hairy horse coated with mud out for a hack

Copperpot

Visit site
And I would never be so lax as to drop a cigarette! They cost too much! If both hands are needed it goes between the teeth! Been caught out hunting when offered a cigarette and everyone moved off and it survived a good canter and 2 jumps in tact!

JFTDWS

Visit site
When people go for a quick hack in their Jeffries 5 point and top of the range eventing boots ... Should be left for the competing ground !

Hacking is the only thing I ALWAYS use a 5 point for :eek: It is, unashamedly, my "oh ****" strap though :D

I'm a snob about overweight horses, even if they're not welfare cases. It makes me think their owners don't care about them. Which they probably think about my muddy, "skinny" beasts :D

Holding

Visit site
All sorts of things bother me, but I'd never dream of saying anything. None of my business tbh. I can't stand riding on the road without a hat, I hate all that namby-pamby natural horsemanship crap, and I think every hairy coloured cob should be forcibly dyed a solid colour, hogged and trimmed. :eek: I have no doubt that I do things that other people can't stand, so I think live and let live is the best policy.

Except for people who say 'haitch' instead of 'aitch'. That is unacceptable.

t411y

Visit site
Tack that is so dirty and cracked it's dangerous.

Loose hair under hats.

People who use tack without the need/always have the rein on their dutch gag on the snaffle ring.

Disgustingly crispy girths and bits.

I'm a bit picky :p

Fii

Visit site
And I would never be so lax as to drop a cigarette! They cost too much! If both hands are needed it goes between the teeth! Been caught out hunting when offered a cigarette and everyone moved off and it survived a good canter and 2 jumps in tact!

:D :D
I sometimes smoke when riding, and with my nerves over the last few years i might be tempted to drink as well!! ;)
Oh and i put it out on my boot and put the end in my pocket, so not a litter lout! :p

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
If horses and people are happy, so be it. Just like DS says.

Re the martingale thing. I ride all with a thin neckstrap not martingale. I spent 12 years riding with one when at the track and I instinctively reach for that in tricky situations instead of banging horse in mouth or falling off. My jumper mare will go in a running now and again but would rather her without. So assume that would make me a poser in most eyes here. Oh well.

Terri

t411y

Visit site
If horses and people are happy, so be it. Just like DS says.

Re the martingale thing. I ride all with a thin neckstrap not martingale. I spent 12 years riding with one when at the track and I instinctively reach for that in tricky situations instead of banging horse in mouth or falling off. My jumper mare will go in a running now and again but would rather her without. So assume that would make me a poser in most eyes here. Oh well.

Terri

I know that people who ride with neckstraps are usually doing so because they feel they need one, my sister uses one incase she feels a bit insecure, I wouldn't say its posery then as they are obviously needed. I think people are refering to when the horse 'needs' fairly basic tack but people put on martingales, grackles, strong bits etc because they think it looks better or more professional looking?