are you a numnah or saddle cloth person? pics please

NeverSayNever

Visit site
sorry, i may have posted a few similar threads. Have realised I have NEVER owned a saddle coth for any of my horses... only numnahs! Have been trying to get a saddle cloth i like for stressaging, (which is a new thing for me, hated it before, still not loving it but bump forces a change in activity for now;) ) So what do YOU prefer?

I will start with some pics -

plain black
joylesson052.jpg

ummm, plain black with some added sheep
lessonwithc004.jpg

black with a sneaky white trim...
Dazzlerinchcoonans006_0001-1.jpg

you get the idea, Im very boring! :eek:

Phoebe+Sophie

Visit site
Depends on the shape of the horse. Some horses can be swamped by a saddle cloth and on other gives them a more finished look. On my mare I like saddle cloths for winter and numnah for summer. I like the black numnah on the black horse above. Sometimes saddle cloths can be distracting.:)

Clofox

Visit site
Saddle cloth! My mare has a purple Mark Todd one.
I'm looking into getting her a burgundy one John Whitaker one (although many people down the yard have burgundy ones so might go for something different!)
However i like the look of the brown numned numnahs trimmed with sheepskin.
My mare used to have a pink numnah when i first got her a it did look nice, but since this i have bought her a half pad which is my reason for going with saddle cloths!

3Beasties

Visit site
Saddle cloths for everything except hunting. If I was hunting regularly I would get a sheep lined numnah but would have to be picky about what one it was as it annoys me when they don't fit the saddle properly!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
faracat i think the white cloth looks good on your horse!

i bought one for my mare and Im not convinced at all
2012-01-08123416.jpg

maybe its because of what Im used to seeing... humm

bumblelion

Visit site
No pics sorry as can't figure out how to get them from camera to iPad yet! But, I'm a saddle cloth fan, don't own any numnahs! I use white, black or dark green on my chestnut tb :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Dressage

DSC02621.jpg

And just generally about the place (this is my mum not me so be nice!)

DSC02820-1-1.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

As you can see, I definitely prefer saddle cloths, both my siggy pictures show a couple more of my (probably too large) collection too!

I think your mare looks nice in her white saddle cloth. I happen to think a white one looks especially smart on black. :)

Last edited:

midi

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse tbh but I personally prefer numnahs as they look tidier and neater to my mind.

PingPongPony

Visit site
I use both :) I have a lovely red john whitaker velvet saddle cloth for sj comps, then a red saddle cloth with silver stars and my name in silver for xc/hunter trails/team chasing. And i have a brown saddle cloth with gel inserts, a navy blue one and a navy blue with red trim for everyday too. Then i have numnahs too: 2 black ones (one with dead sheep on it), a navy blue one, a red one and a white one.Oh and i also have a few sheepskin half pads. And all that is just for one horse. :D
I think i might have too many.... :eek:

1Lucie

Visit site
Everyone has such gorgeous horses! Particularly intrested in the people with black horses, never know what colour to put him him!
I'm a saddlecloth person!!!!!!

rhino

Visit site
I tend to prefer saddlecloths :) With or without sheepskin 1/2 pad depending on muscle/condition

A friend got me this saddlecloth for Christmas years ago - she embroidered pony's name on herself (in green to match 'his' colours).
picture.php

Used to use Polypads for xc but found they tended to slip (apologies for my @rse :eek: )
picture.php

But tend to use wool numnahs for long distance rides/trec - not pretty but he has fairly sensitive skin and is a sweaty beast :eek: :D
DSCN3255-1.jpg

cob&onion

Visit site
Am a bit of both :) i have a few numnahs but must admit i have a bit of a collection going on :eek: currently after a woolen WH numnah in brown for showing.
I have a lemiuex one with mink wool at the front, its lovely :) i also have many white saddle cloths and a champagne colored one for dressage with a gold binding.
I always look out for bargains on ebay, you can never have too many :rolleyes::eek::D

nirikina

Visit site
For long distance hacks in the summer I generally take a set of saddlebags attached behind the saddle. A too-large saddlecloth is useful so the saddlebags can sit on top of it and prevent any rubbing.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I much prefer saddle cloths I have never really liked numnahs. However I love my Nummed and LeMieux half wool numnahs, despite being a saddle cloth far I have more numnahs than saddle cloths for my lad.

loobylu

Visit site
Numnahs- particularly on short coupled native types like yours. Think showing- shows your horse to best advantage.
I read somewhere that saddlecloths were originally used when riding with tails- to keep them clean.

Tash88

Visit site
With my last horse I always used brown Nu-med numnahs as he needed something with a high wither and the brown looked smart as he was a chestnut with a brown saddle.

When the saddler came out for my new horse she brought a gorgeous black KM elite saddlecloth with white sheepskin to go with his thorowgood T4, he is a baby and has quite a sensitive back so she brought something that he would feel extra-comfortable in. I have always spent money on numnahs/saddlecloths as I think you get what you pay for and he only has one at the moment as it was £56, but I don't think I'd use anything different for him now, it fits perfectly. He has quite a short back and he doesn't look swamped either.