Are you a toff?

Best cross-country/hunting/hunter trial photograph

• Total voters

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Someone made the point to me that they believed people who owned horses were 'toffs', especially hunters. (They seen a couple of hunts)

So I'm out to prove them wrong as I am certainly no Lady of the Manor!
tongue.gif

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
Ok well more examples - My husband is from Toxteth (city centre Liverpool for those sheltered souls who've never heard of it
smile.gif
)

He's now a lift engineer with his own business, but he left school at 16 with no GCSEs!
smile.gif

He rides and his love is now dressage - of course he MUST be a toff?
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
Most definitely not. But then, I'm not sure anyone would ever consider someone with a Northern/Midlands accent a toff anyway.

Toff's are generally thought to people of the public school educated variety who all speak "proper Queen's English" aren't they?

ETA.

I was brought up on a private estate by my milkman father and secretary mother. Never had a horse as a child as we couldn't afford such luxuries.

Currently live on a huge farm with hubby. Years ago hubby would have been known as "land gentry", a noble person. In this day and age farmers are considered dirty and smelly and miserable. I totally agree with the first two sentiments but he's only miserable when people ask him to fill in more forms/red tape/paperwork before he can milk a cow!

sevenoceans

Visit site
I Hunts and are Very skint, i live in ex council area, I am quite polite but dress in jeans and tees...don't dine out in posh resturants. is that toff?? oh i was educated at private school.... never enjoyed that!

joshesmum

Visit site
No way i originally come from peckham in london, i now live in hampshire in a council house and i definitly dont do the toff thing.

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]

Toff's are generally thought to people of the public school educated variety who all speak "proper Queen's English".

[/ QUOTE ]

*whipsers* I went to a good public school and I don't think I'm a toff
blush.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Toff? - no. Probably middle class in terms of lifestyle choices, upbringing, standards and speech..distinctly working class in terms of income and lifestyle reality (or am I just poor because I have horses?)

Patches

Visit site
Noooo.....not everyone who went to a public school is a Toff. What I meant was, for example, I could be a top class polo player (in my dreams) or a Joint Master (or is that Mistress) of a hunt and yet as soon as I open my mouth the toff theory would be dispensed.

It's stereotypical, put the perception of a toff does include the "posh" accent as well surely?

Gingernags

Visit site
Nooooo! Not a toff at all. Parents both from council estates. I work in an office, on not that much money, and owe loans for 4WD & trailer and am generally a bit of a scruff!!!

grin.gif

Not quite common as muck, bit more refined than that... but certainly not ladylike or a toff - toffs are the landed gentry!

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
LOL
grin.gif

Would add, we're not toffs but we don't do inverted snobbery either!!!

I know plenty of public schoolies with plummy voices who are as rough as they come!!
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I think there definately are some very wealthy types involved in hunting particularly, but in my experience they're the ones that are the maddest hatters!
grin.gif

I think toffs are stiff, judgemental types and the accent/financial background usually has very little to do with it.

Patches

Visit site
That's the perception of toff's to the masses.

Ask anyone on the streets of Northern Cities and I bet they'd all say a toff had the plummy accent Cosmos_Sam mentioned.

Then again alot of people have stereotypical views of people from certain areas at the complete opposite end of the class spectrum.

There is no hard and fast rule. Private education and being born into "class" doesn't automatically make for a person of class, in the way they live their lives or are perceived by others. Heck, I'm not even making sense now!

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and how would you guys define a toff.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] toff

Wikipedia says:

toff [ tof ] (plural toffs)
noun

Definition:
U.K. upper-class person: a rich or upper-class person, especially somebody who is elegantly dressed ( informal )
[Mid-19th century. Probably variant of tuft, golden plume worn by titled students at Oxford and Cambridge]

I don't classify as one and I've hunted since I was 10 years old.

I've heard of people who hunt/ride called Snobs but that's a completely different thing from Toff.

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
Interesting point really
smile.gif

A toff as a general opinion, would be the posh voiced loaded type I suppose
smile.gif

As for most horsey types being toffs, I think that the case of the person watching the hunt, they probably saw, smartly dressed, confident people, looking down at everyone (of course they HAVE to!) and having a jolly.

That to the none horsey probably does look quite intimidating and a bit patronising.

At the races, the mounted police make me feel like something on their shoe! It must feel a bit condescending like that?

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]

As for most horsey types being toffs, I think that the case of the person watching the hunt, they probably saw, smartly dressed, confident people, looking down at everyone (of course they HAVE to!) and having a jolly.

That to the none horsey probably does look quite intimidating and a bit patronising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! Also this person was an anti hunt protestor so I imagine it was even more intimidating!
blush.gif

kick_On

Visit site
need description of toff? from your 'friend'

As in my world toffs are in every walk of life and it's not pre-resquite to own a horse etc.... I feel it's your 'friends' are narrowed mind, shallow folk who need to go out more and experience different things in life

sorry pigoen holely folk is grrrrrrrrr to me

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
need description of toff? from your 'friend'

As in my world toffs are in every walk of life and it's not pre-resquite to own a horse etc.... I feel it's your 'friends' are narrowed mind, shallow folk who need to go out more and experience different things in life

sorry pigoen holely folk is grrrrrrrrr to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a friend
wink.gif
I disagree with the toff label, hence my thread!
smile.gif

jenbleep

Visit site
i was brought up on a council estate in bristol, then moved to newquay and lived in rented accommodation with my mum. i have had to pay for everything by myself, and the only way i could ride was if i helped out at the local riding school. i have 3 tattoos, im in debt, and i live in a shared house with 3 other people. im defo not a toff! i enjoy hunting because its fun, and make fun of people who speak like they live in old england. theres posh, and then theres posh! xxxxxx

kick_On

Visit site
it's a case of lack of knowledge then, but you'll never convert anti, so why bother. If they are a human being they agree to disagree and let it lie........

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
it's a case of lack of knowledge then, but you'll never convert anti, so why bother. If they are a human being they agree to disagree and let it lie........

[/ QUOTE ]Oh I'm not trying to convert them, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion! They were just using class to back up their arguement and I tried to point out that it makes their argument flawed.
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
I don't think anyone would describe me as a toff in a million years! However there were quite a few people at uni that I would describe as toffs, non-horsey ones at that!