Are you a toff?

Best cross-country/hunting/hunter trial photograph

• Total voters

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I would class my cousin as a toff (I don't actually know her that well, 3rd cousin or something)

She has a house that cost her several million. She has 6 horses that she competes and keeps them on her own land (80 acre estate) in a brand new luxury stable block. She has a groom to care for them and a rider to exercise them. She has staff at her house.

That to me is a toff.

Maybe I should go make friends with her, eh?
wink.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have to be, I have a horse and can speak english, I'm always being called posh. But, I'm a thanet girl, owning a horse is poverty, and how can anyone that spends half their life up to their ears in horse hair and poo be considered posh?
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between being posh and being a toff. Almost anyone can be regarded as being posh simply by virtue of their hobbies and social life.
To me, a toff is born, not made.
smile.gif

evsj

Visit site
i must be, i own/ride a horse! silly!!
anyway, don't all toffs go out to work everyday but never have any spare cash, buy stuff off ebay, drive round in tatty old cars which resemble mobile skips, etc...?

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously? It is what you make it, I have had quite a proper upbringing, attend a lot of the more elite events, but dont see myself as "toff"

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you've said it all there Rosiie.
The true upper classes (or toffs) would never label themselves as that. It would be seen as being vulgar and decidedly un-classy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well yes exactly, I met a group of about 10people a couple of years older than myself at the CLA gamefair last year, we were all doing the dog trials, and in the 10minutes of speaking with them I knew how much their parents were earning, how many rooms their houses had, how much land their daddy owned and which hunt they were with. All of them were the gentry stemming from "New Money" none of them had class and all struck me as very false- the kids that aspired to be the toffs of the future, but perhaps will never acchieve that as they are so forwards with their wealth. I was brought up never to flaunt wealth, my usual hub of "boarding school toffs" are so down to earth, polite, respectful and would never ever consider offloading their wealth onto a stranger just to push themselves a spot above the rest.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
[ QUOTE ]

Well yes exactly, I met a group of about 10people a couple of years older than myself at the CLA gamefair last year, we were all doing the dog trials, and in the 10minutes of speaking with them I knew how much their parents were earning, how many rooms their houses had, how much land their daddy owned and which hunt they were with.

[/ QUOTE ]PMSL! They sound lovely!
tongue.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Now you see, that to me is posh rather than toff. Just my perception though, and I am occasionally wrong.
wink.gif
grin.gif

To me, a toff is landed gentry, with an estate and inherited wealth in the form of works of art handed down through the generations.

I don't see rich people as toffs, nor farmers, nor people who have had a good education/earn a lot of money.
I went to school with some, and they are way, way different to the new money types, or those that are simply wealthy.

And yes, you should definitely get on friendlier terms with your cousin, if only for her cast offs.
wink.gif
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
I went to boarding school and have an accent that all of my northern friends where I now live think is very posh... and the horse just adds fuel to the fire. At work I regularly get teased about how they think I went to Swiss finishing school where I had lessons on how to get in and out of a car correctly... and wandered about with books on my head.

In reality I had a very middle class upbringing with my Dad in the military. Not posh or toff at all!

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That is EXACTLY what I mean Rosiie, and said in the nicest possible way - you are my idea of what a toff is.
smile.gif

(That is a compliment btw!
grin.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, well thankyou. I just think that in the 21st century a lot of peopleget confused between the wealthy and the laded gentry. People seem to think that anybody with money is a toff, and some people lose all concept of the class system and its ever so obvious hold even in today's society. Posh and Becks have got a lot of money, and to some extent "class" but are very much both working class, from working class backgrounds and with an understanding of popular culture and not high culture.

riotgirl

Visit site
We live in the countryside and I have horses so people automatically think I am a toff. My dad's family is a bit posh but my mum's family come from a council estate in Liverpool. If I actually moved out of my parents then I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to live where I do or have horses so I do not think I am at all posh!

madgirl

Visit site
well I have no idea TBH!
Our family is very "old money" with a family estate all inherited. I have had a good upbringing and go to an english boarding school. Some would probably consider me as a toff. TBH I don't care I don't think it is a particualy bad thing but I think being a snob and bragging about your money is and being vulgar is horrid and I definatly don't do that!

madgirl

Visit site

[/ QUOTE ]
I was brought up never to flaunt wealth, my usual hub of "boarding school toffs" are so down to earth, polite, respectful and would never ever consider offloading their wealth onto a stranger just to push themselves a spot above the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how I was brought up. When I say where i go to school etc people automatically look at me differently and think of me as a snob to the extent i am too embarressed to say where i live and go to school! I may be classed by many of you as a toff that doesnt particually bother me but being called a snob does!

GinaB

Visit site
I could never be considered a toff. Not with an accent like mine!
wink.gif

To me a toff comes from 'old money' been in the family for generations etc

ETS People I work with consider me quite 'posh' and brought up well as I went to grammar school and got my A-levels and due to being into shooting etc and not coming from Belfast!

*whispers* What is Pimms?!
blush.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything you've said APART from the Beckhams having some class. You are just wrong young lady!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah, well perhaps not class but consider themslves to be "classy"

Tia

Visit site
Totally agree with Dubble and Rosie.

Plus; snobs are generally people WITHOUT money, LOL!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was brought up never to flaunt wealth, my usual hub of "boarding school toffs" are so down to earth, polite, respectful and would never ever consider offloading their wealth onto a stranger just to push themselves a spot above the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how I was brought up. When I say where i go to school etc people automatically look at me differently and think of me as a snob to the extent i am too embarressed to say where i live and go to school! I may be classed by many of you as a toff that doesnt particually bother me but being called a snob does!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I know well exactly. I stuck 2weeks of boarding school before I started to get very shitty about all the flack I got, so I went to Grammar instead. I enjo the lifestyle I have, and a lot of friends from home think I am very "out there" and aspire to be something that perhaps I am not. I like to create a good impression and speak properly, because I wear baggy scarves and high hair I seem to be labelled quite a lot.
frown.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything you've said APART from the Beckhams having some class. You are just wrong young lady!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always think of them as rich chavs...
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now THAT I agree with, alot having the vast majority of their weath tied up with their assets, being that land or property. The thing that annoys me about the "new money" on the scene is they are so openly flaunting, it really is quite rude. My younger sister's old prep school organised a charity shoot a few weeks ago and being as it close to the city it attracts quite a lot of "new money". Now although the landed gentry have exactly that- land, in my experience money does not flow too thick on the surface, a lot being tied up in business and such, and a lot of people get very offended to see the amount of cash thrown about like last week- as Tia says, toffs dont have the money to fingertips.

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
Quick Reply
wink.gif

A little view from a foreigner in the UK - I live here becasue my partner is British, he loves being here and would be unhappy living in my native country. I don't always feel welcome in this country and would quite frankly like to be a toff
wink.gif
I tend to get bored in an avarage horsey environment as many people seem very simple, non educated, close minded and damn right rude too (not all the poeple obviously!). People who I feel good intelectually with on the other hand seem uneventful and not really exciting as they don't 'do horses'. Ech! A few years back I spent some time with a horsey family that I guess could be classified as toffs (basing this on above replies and overall understanding of the class system) and they were lovely, lovely people who were great to talk to about both horses and the non-horsey world.
I wouldn't think it's such a bad thing to be a toff but I might not have a good picture of all the little nuances.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always think of them as rich chavs...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I also see them as rich chavs.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, snobbery a state of mind, rather than an indicator of wealth.
In fact, I'd go as far as to say, most snobs I've come across are decidedly vulgar, un-classy, and usually friendless.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
KAT! Never ever knock Pimm's O'clock ever again

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree with that!!! And tennis!!
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously? It is what you make it, I have had quite a proper upbringing, attend a lot of the more elite events, but dont see myself as "toff"

[/ QUOTE ]
And I totally agree with this too. If I were to just list the up bringing I've had then I would definately be categorised as a toff. But I think that that is only half of it - the other half is your attitude and view of life and I don't think that I am a toff in that sense at all (although I'm sure I have moments!!! But the majority of the time not!).

Actually, I think it is your attitude more than your upbringing in a way because I know people who have had a less proper and less wealthy upbringing than myself, yet they are definately more toff..... To the extent that they think it is a good thing and they play it up to show off.

I'm sure some people would see me as toff but to be honest I don't really care - I am what I am and people can categorise that as they wish!!!

juliebrewer

Visit site
No way. I have ponies yes, I don't go out (very rare). I do not smoke, I may have a class or two of wine once a week. What some people spend on these alone they could keep my ponies very comfy..