Are you cutting back on competing/training due to the cost of living?

humblepie

Visit site
I was talking to a person who runs shows at a centre the other week and she said that it was BS they had seen drop the most at present. Showing - the RoR and Veteran qualifying classes generally seem to be standing up well, though think riding horses. hacks, hunters are reduced. However, it did always used to be the case that many people once they had qualified RIHS or HOYS wouldn't go out much again so not sure how the entries are stacking up though have seen quite a few shows extending their entry closing dates so that is perhaps a sign of low entries. I personally haven't rejoined BD. I am looking at stabling for a one day competition which will be in the region of £100 by the time I have added in shavings and whilst am luck that could afford it, don't feel able to justify it, so horse and I may just have to get up early!

humblepie

Visit site
Hufflypuffly - Plus she's just going out to some in-hand showing so she can see the world, last show was £6 per class and 30 mins up the road, came home with rosettes and trophies so a nice feel good day on a limited budget!

Sounds an excellent sort of day!

palo1

Visit site
Just don't go there!! (looking at what others are doing). One of my blasted neighbours, who doesn't work and seems to have an apparently endless budget has been very public about splashing out on fancy training, endless arena hires and fun comps. I don't begrudge her at all; she works hard and is generally lovely but I do have to step away from her social media feed lol!!! I just have to keep telling myself that not competing brings other good things to my life. It does too but it's just hard, especially if you were/are 'so close' to achieving something long worked for.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Mental health issues put the stoppers on my grand plans this year. Luckily I have now given up my little yard and moved to a livery yard that does fortnightly dressage and jumping. Thats enough to scratch my itch while I'm still very fragile emotionally.

I crashed the tow car and replaced it with a two seater sports car, then sold the trailer. I might reassess next year, but I've just been accepted to uni as a mature student so that my focus now, and I'll just see how everything goes.

I'm quite insulated from cost of living rises but fuel still affects me. I'm not sure I could justify what it would cost me to fill a tow car and get to anything other than local events anyway now. I'm glad I'm at the yard I am and can just bimble along in my own little world.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hufflypuffly - Plus she's just going out to some in-hand showing so she can see the world, last show was £6 per class and 30 mins up the road, came home with rosettes and trophies so a nice feel good day on a limited budget!

Sounds an excellent sort of day!

It was quite nostalgic, reminded me of my early years showing my old show horse! Plus for that price she got to see lots of horses, flags, tractors and a chainsaw tent behind the in-hand ring :oops:.

287807018_10160737879699925_6456432317034533678_n.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i thought about going showing again, although i felt like a right numpty the veteran showing i did with Millie one year was fun (and good for trophies :p)
local shows have no classes for any of my herd tho :( county show is cancelled again this year. there was one doing youngstock but it was at the end of a busy ring and no way to tell what time to turn up so i am not going to even attempt to put my 2yo through that!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
i thought about going showing again, although i felt like a right numpty the veteran showing i did with Millie one year was fun (and good for trophies :p)
local shows have no classes for any of my herd tho :( county show is cancelled again this year. there was one doing youngstock but it was at the end of a busy ring and no way to tell what time to turn up so i am not going to even attempt to put my 2yo through that!

Ah that's a shame! The lack of organised timings is the worst thing about showing! I took Beryl to a very local show first just in the youngstock class, then a slightly busier one and then the agricultural one, she has Cheshire next week 'gulp'!

You can normally ask the secretary how many entries there have been to gauge how long the ring might take, as that was my balancing act on the second busier show, last class of the day but I was not standing there all day with her!

Not sure what shows are like near you, but I find most will do a generic youngstock class, then maybe an open showing or a sports horse class. I'm fairly spoilt with a PBA, over stamped PBW that's coloured lol!

milliepops

Visit site
the only one i have seen within a sensible distance just had the one class. Now we're into haymaking season my "helper" ( :rolleyes: )is permanently engaged in a tractor so i've gone off the idea anyway! don't fancy going on my tod :oops:

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
the only one i have seen within a sensible distance just had the one class. Now we're into haymaking season my "helper" :)rolleyes:) is permanently engaged in a tractor so i've gone off the idea anyway! don't fancy going on my tod :oops:

It is definitely easier with help! I've taken her on my own and learnt to put the bridle on and off IN the trailer :p, if I was closer I'd give you a hand as I love it for the babies to show them the world.

palo1

Visit site
Oh god I would rather eat my OH's toenail clippings than take either of mine to a showing class - however cheap!! :p:pSenior horse would probably really enjoy it actually and Welshie mare adores any kind of pampering but I am NOT up for puffing my way round in tweeds and baker boy cap for Welshie or attempting to keep up with senior horse on the ground. Ridden classes have a sliver more appeal but then...nope...I won a showing class once back in the 90s and I think I peaked then hahahahahahahahaha!!! That option has made me feel so much better about taking horses for a picnic, or a paddle or just sitting in the field with them being able to enjoy some Pimms and a lovely evening. Happy days after all :)

humblepie

Visit site
I love showing although you do need to have a lot of patience - some shows are very good with not before or even accurate class times, others can be a lot of hanging around, though last week both classes done by 9am (county show, first class 7.30!). You also need to be able to wear riding clothes including gloves, twead or wool jacket in hot sunshine in the middle of the day for possibly an hour plus or in torrential rain (or snow one March a few years back). I am nice to current horse and don't take him out if extremes of weather as he needs to enjoy it too!

milliepops

Visit site
showing wouldn't be my first choice for an outing but i did like having something low impact to do with my old girl when dressage training was too much for her old bones (tendons!!) It played to the skillset she'd been developing over the past decade too. I find it all a bit too mystifying to want to do anything else really, i had intended it for baby horse as an educational outing but i think she'll handle shows when she's backed perfectly well given her approach to life. I had a moment of madness where i thought i'd do old lady showing with Kira but she is such a monkey at times, i don't think it's sensible after all, haha!!

tho, actually, depending on how things go it might be sensible for Ks foal to get out and about with her... no need to worry about that for another year but i do hope there are more shows around next year :(

paddi22

Visit site
I wonder will it have an effect on standards and safety in eventing and jumping? If young horses are getting out less to fun rides and hunter trials, will they be missing a chunk of education and get pushed up too fast to compete at 'proper' competitions without the mileage/experience (over ground, conditions, fences) that horses used to get?

Squeak

Visit site
My local riding club has been a godsend. They organise great clinics and I can train two or even three times a month with them for less than it used to cost me for one individual lesson.

It's very hard to find the balance between making the most of having a horse that you can go out and do things with and not bankrupting yourself. With the cost of diesel going higher and higher, I'll be trying to stay local where possible.

Visit site
I love showing although you do need to have a lot of patience - some shows are very good with not before or even accurate class times, others can be a lot of hanging around, though last week both classes done by 9am (county show, first class 7.30!). You also need to be able to wear riding clothes including gloves, twead or wool jacket in hot sunshine in the middle of the day for possibly an hour plus or in torrential rain (or snow one March a few years back). I am nice to current horse and don't take him out if extremes of weather as he needs to enjoy it too!

The last show I did a few weeks ago originally had the Shetland classes to start at 9.30am. 3 days before the show they rejigged everything as they didn't have many entries and so they took the ring away completely and put the Shetlands in another ring with a Not Before 1pm start time. Now you would normally expect to be in the ring between 1pm and 1.45pm with that notice. All the Shetlands were present and ready to go at 1pm. The secretary had no idea what was going on and kept saying to people that there was only 1 more class, a Championship then the Shetlands. There was in fact 3 more classes, 2 championships and the judges lunch break in between those 3 classes! The Shetland judge (there just for them) was there for 12.30pm. At 3pm they realised everyone was quite peeved off and some had gone home. I would have too if we hadn't have travelled 2 hours to get there! They sectioned off part of a ring and the Shetlands finally got started at 3.30pm. I got in the ring a 4.05pm, finally left the ring for the last time at 5.20pm. Yes it was worth it as the pony won all his championships and ended up Reserve Supreme. But it was a baking hot day and no one was happy by the end. Not one of us will be back to that show in future.

I have shown all my life and unless your class is the first in the ring you have no idea when it will be in reality!

I much prefer racing in terms of timings ??

MagicMelon

Visit site
I havent been out in the last month but Im told BS entries are way down locally from what they usually are. BE is dying a death up here (Aberdeenshire) with Burgie now folding too. We dont have any BE up here anymore, its all central belt. I wont be doing any as its all 2.5 hours + drive away and so expensive on fuel, I cant afford it. I plan to just do some unaffiliated hunter trials - the last one being held at Burgie next month then we have no XC events at all for the rest of the year that I can see. So I guess I'll turn more to showjumping now and only local venue. Its a real shame, I would do more if it were local but fuel is definately having a huge effect. Look at how many BE events are cancelling all over the UK due to low entries.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I wonder will it have an effect on standards and safety in eventing and jumping? If young horses are getting out less to fun rides and hunter trials, will they be missing a chunk of education and get pushed up too fast to compete at 'proper' competitions without the mileage/experience (over ground, conditions, fences) that horses used to get?

Equally, if people can't afford to go cross country schooling etc? But go out competing?

I don't know, and I would hope most people will be sensible, but I can imagine it could be a problem. As others have said, it's not always the best education for young horses, either.

Reactions: TPO

Wishfilly

Visit site
Double post, but just seen another agricultural show asking for more entries (across everything, not just horses). Again one that used to be popular and well supported pre-covid.

It will be sad for the county and the farming community if we lose these events due to lack of entries, but perhaps reflects the choices people are having to make right now.

millitiger

Visit site
Fuel cost is terrifying for running the horsebox- it is certainly making me think how often, and how far, I go out now.

In a very sad incident I am down from 3 horses to 2.
I am currently using the extra running costs from that to put in my competing fund to keep it topped up.

However, having had a crappy run for a few years with horses, I am determined to appreciate my current position of a sound, fit, well trained horse who is a pleasure to take out and about.
What is the point in having such a lovely horse and not going out most weekends?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Fuel cost is terrifying for running the horsebox- it is certainly making me think how often, and how far, I go out now.

In a very sad incident I am down from 3 horses to 2.
I am currently using the extra running costs from that to put in my competing fund to keep it topped up.

However, having had a crappy run for a few years with horses, I am determined to appreciate my current position of a sound, fit, well trained horse who is a pleasure to take out and about.
What is the point in having such a lovely horse and not going out most weekends?

Sorry to hear that you have lost one of your horses. I agree things like that put it into perspective about getting out when one can, especially after the last two years.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Im only showing the 2yr old this year. Was going to take the yearling out for experience before the end of the year to a low key show but We'll see how he looks in September.

We have changed our aims for the 2yr old. Fewer shows but aiming for nps & wpcs medal shows rather than local and riding club shows. We've not joined any riding clubs this year as we wont be making use of the events. We did a local charity show, but only because it was indoors and he hadn't been indoors before. It ticked another experience off the list.
Its such a shame. We've just got the lorry up together and now its becoming to expensive to use it.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Well I am pulling back but not due to cost of living but my own health. Grey horse has been packed off to my trainer and keeping bay horse as a lot easier but being competed hopefully by a competent teenager. Bit of a shitter really but not much I can do about it but make the best of it all.

Britestar

Visit site
I havent been out in the last month but Im told BS entries are way down locally from what they usually are. BE is dying a death up here (Aberdeenshire) with Burgie now folding too. We dont have any BE up here anymore, its all central belt. I wont be doing any as its all 2.5 hours + drive away and so expensive on fuel, I cant afford it. I plan to just do some unaffiliated hunter trials - the last one being held at Burgie next month then we have no XC events at all for the rest of the year that I can see. So I guess I'll turn more to showjumping now and only local venue. Its a real shame, I would do more if it were local but fuel is definately having a huge effect. Look at how many BE events are cancelling all over the UK due to low entries.
There are 2 xc events at Philorth. An ODE and a Hunter Pace.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I'm just back from a trip to the local tack superstore. My god the prices. They had a sale rack of white breeches that look to have been in storage for a few years complete with stains and grubby marks for €100 reduced from €120. Some of the stains didn't look like they'd come out. Name branded light t-shirts for €80 upwards. Cheapest saddle pad was €75 made of the thinnest material.
Selection of bridles with average prices around the €300 mark.

People are paying these prices so there is money around. Huge queues at the tills...

Visit site
I'm just back from a trip to the local tack superstore. My god the prices. They had a sale rack of white breeches that look to have been in storage for a few years complete with stains and grubby marks for €100 reduced from €120. Some of the stains didn't look like they'd come out. Name branded light t-shirts for €80 upwards. Cheapest saddle pad was €75 made of the thinnest material.
Selection of bridles with average prices around the €300 mark.

People are paying these prices so there is money around. Huge queues at the tills...

I wouldn't pay anything like that for any of that! There's just no need!

Squeak

Visit site
Well I am pulling back but not due to cost of living but my own health. Grey horse has been packed off to my trainer and keeping bay horse as a lot easier but being competed hopefully by a competent teenager. Bit of a shitter really but not much I can do about it but make the best of it all.

Sorry to hear that LEC, I hope you're ok.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I wouldn't pay anything like that for any of that! There's just no need!
Me neither, I came out empty handed.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get quality equipment, equestrian clothing or anything equestrian related for non extortionate prices.

They had a well known branded helmet on sale, €600 reduced to €500, simply because the peak was broken and the inside damaged.
Put it in the bin!!!!

SEL

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that - hope you're ok

maya2008

Visit site
We pulled back from competing after Covid when prices went up so much locally for a class. If I take all 4, I can get arena hire for £7.50 each. An hour of fun where you can try the course again if you mess up. Compared to £15 for a class, it’s an obvious choice - especially since there are many different arena hire options locally and the courses are set up ready.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
We pulled back from competing after Covid when prices went up so much locally for a class. If I take all 4, I can get arena hire for £7.50 each. An hour of fun where you can try the course again if you mess up. Compared to £15 for a class, it’s an obvious choice - especially since there are many different arena hire options locally and the courses are set up ready.
I've been doing this too with a group from my yard, make much more sense.
One issue we are noticing thoughts the the arena hire locations are now putting their prices up so it's starting to get expensive too.