Are you or have you ever been a BHS member? Why – or why not?

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
BHS official - I don't seem to have received a reply to my PM? Would appreciate your feedback on the points I raised if possible? :)

Marydoll

Visit site
Bhs official seems to be side stepping many of the issues or asking people to pm details, or get in touch, but through reading the posts getting in touch isnt as easy as its made out to be, or they dont get back to you.

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
To be fair I didn't ask any direct questions. :) I support the idea of the BHS organisation, I think in theory it should make a huge difference to the UK equine industry. I didn't want to post all of my comments and experiences, mostly about the exam system and horse training "style" (including the horses used in exams) on an open forum, as it sounded very negative, but it would be nice to just have a little feedback on my comments - I've been a gold member for almost 20 years, so that's quite a lot of money in membership fees :)

Marydoll

Visit site
To be fair I didn't ask any direct questions. :) I support the idea of the BHS organisation, I think in theory it should make a huge difference to the UK equine industry. I didn't want to post all of my comments and experiences, mostly about the exam system and horse training "style" (including the horses used in exams) on an open forum, as it sounded very negative, but it would be nice to just have a little feedback on my comments - I've been a gold member for almost 20 years, so that's quite a lot of money in membership fees :)

I also support the idea of a BHS ,and have said there is much to admire about the organisation, but if theyre charging, expensive fees examining candidates to the standards expected, they should ensure the places approved by them can actually provide facilities, equipment and horses to meet their standards, having double standards, and asking you to imagine things are fine when theyre not isnt accaptable practice in any circumstances where people have paid money to sit an exam. I spoke to the examiner at the end of exams i sat where equipment was a problem and tbh they didnt seem that bothered, one of the main reasons i opted out of that exam system

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Don't know where you've been but all the centres I've trained and worked at have been BHS and have all taught the classical methods - maybe the instructors you've had 'do their own thing', aren't actually qualified, or are just very poor instructors.

Quote from the book 'BHS Equitation, Training of Rider and Horse to Advanced Levels' which is my bible.
"The British Horse Society's Equitation is based on the classical lines first written about by Xenophon (430-354 BC), maintained by the Spanish Riding School in Vienna and now ammended for competition by the Federation Equestre Internationale."

Pffffttt!!! :D:D

If only...

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
Thanks as all ever for your responses.

DWTeam – liaising with councils on access matters and maintaining access overall is a massive part of our work. Have you been in touch with your local BHS Access officers? They’re there to fight on your behalf when it comes to issues like this. It’s an unfortunate fact that sometimes numbers and backing can be heard more clearly and this is where our local Access officers and HQ team come in. You can read all about our overall Access work, or our Access news and achievements. It’s true that there are routes that end in apparently random places and it’s more cases like this that we’re working very hard to prevent. There’s no better or more urgent time to make noise about access – in 2026, ‘cut-off date’ introduced by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 will remove unrecorded rights of way if they came into being before 1949. It is vital that every route is recorded before 2026, or they could be lost forever – and it’s not as far away as it sounds. Membership fees and volunteers on the ground are vital in preventing the equestrian community as a whole losing this access.

Welly – the above is just one example of how we stand up for all equestrians. There’s a far better summary of what we achieved last year on our website. That’s not to say there’s nothing more we can do – we wouldn’t be posting here if we thought that. What particular current issues with the law worry you?

Dry Rot – any mention of any BHS volunteer or staff member is going to put us on alert. You’ll understand that we can’t comment on planning applications or other decisions made by councils. We are concerned, however, at the inference that someone acting under our name is doing so in a less than clean manner. If that’s happening, it’s not acceptable. It’s not clear from your post to what extent, if any, they’re using the BHS name and how: if you do have complaints about the way someone is behaving that you feel is detrimental to the BHS, the relevant department needs to be told about it – this is the only way we can do anything about it if there is any problem.

Marydoll – you’re right in saying that the Classical Riding Club is an Independent Partner of the BHS, which is something we’re proud of and hope they remain so, too! We’re sorry you feel that issues are being sidestepped. It’s certainly not the intention but as you can imagine, occasionally points are being raised that need further research in order to be addressed accurately and fairly. One of these is Norfolk Pie’s, which (we say without sidestepping! :)) is the only PM we’ve received. If anyone wants to send their thoughts this way, they’re of course more than welcome.

Please forgive us the delay over the bank holiday with Badminton and Windsor, Norfolk Pie – your thoughts were very valuable and we’re getting you the response from the very best possible placed people (and very soon)! :)

There are also points that can’t be addressed immediately or in some very occasional cases, can’t be best addressed publicly. Where people have concerns, we’re not going to pretend to have all the right answers or fixes where necessary overnight – if only we did! But that’s a major part of the work we’re undertaking in scrutinising how we can improve, how we can do more that will benefit those who are and even aren’t with us, and – as has also been pointed out – how we can better show what we’re already doing.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am a gold member mainly for the insurance now I was a welfare officer and a county chairman , I feel the BHS is not interested in my needs and feel sad about it .
I will never forget or forgive when I rang and spoke about doing some exams I can't mount from the ground following an accident to be told very shortly I would be considered unsafe to teach and that was that.
The magazine is a thin offering of advertising masquerading as journalism I wish they would save the money and spend it an access work.
There are wonderful people volunteering for the BHS thats why I still support it is because of them.

Welly

Visit site
Hi, as I said in my post, the horse passport was a bad law and the BHS should have stood up and told the government it would not work. We now have a law that makes the good horse and pony owner pay a tax, in the form of the passport and the rest get away with murder, Bodmin Moor Ponies as an example as they don't need passports. Stop taxing the good owner. To be fair I said I always found the access department and the officers very good and helpful.

BacollisMum

Visit site
I was a member of the BHS, at the time I had been a horse owner for some years and was working on a riding school. I decided I ought to do my exams, I did stage one and in most of the exam met lovely examiners and all went well apart from one small section which was grooming, there I met the chief examiner who literally had me close to tears in seconds with her abrupt manner. I came out of the exam feeling very upset, I didn't feel comfortable complaining on the day as I didn't feel comfortable approaching the dragon.

I called the BHS the following day to complain the lady on the phone was very understanding and admitted they had had previous complaints about this examiner and told me she was retiring soon. I put my complaint in writing. Subsequently I received my result, I had passed the riding but not the care and guess which section was the only one with any negative remarks, yes the grooming one and unbelievably it was comments on things she had not even observed, in fact noone had observed those things, plus they were only two small things that should not have amounted to a fail e.g she reckoned I didn't use the brush firmly enough (she wasn't even there when I brushing, she walked in when I finished brushing and about to tack up!) - I appealed and further complained, the BHS did not acknowledge any of the points I made and their response basically told me what the examiner says goes - it all felt very much like closing ranks.

I would have understood if I had waited to complain after receiving results, but I had not reason to believe I hadn't passed as I know I did everything right and I wanted to lodge a complaint anyway which I did before I received results as I was very upset with the way I had been spoken to. I really felt the least they could have done was offer a re-exam as I understand there is an element of my word against hers, but bearing in mind the person I originally spoke to even admitted I wasn't the first to complain about that particular examiner and I put my complaint in the day after the exam I was really angry that my complaint fell on deaf ears.

I must add my instructor and all my colleagues at the time were dumbfounded that I had not passed and when they read the report could not believe the comments made on the most basic and petty things.

I vowed from that day on I would not give another penny to the BHS.

Marydoll

Visit site
I was a member of the BHS, at the time I had been a horse owner for some years and was working on a riding school. I decided I ought to do my exams, I did stage one and in most of the exam met lovely examiners and all went well apart from one small section which was grooming, there I met the chief examiner who literally had me close to tears in seconds with her abrupt manner. I came out of the exam feeling very upset, I didn't feel comfortable complaining on the day as I didn't feel comfortable approaching the dragon.

I called the BHS the following day to complain the lady on the phone was very understanding and admitted they had had previous complaints about this examiner and told me she was retiring soon. I put my complaint in writing. Subsequently I received my result, I had passed the riding but not the care and guess which section was the only one with any negative remarks, yes the grooming one and unbelievably it was comments on things she had not even observed, in fact noone had observed those things, plus they were only two small things that should not have amounted to a fail e.g she reckoned I didn't use the brush firmly enough (she wasn't even there when I brushing, she walked in when I finished brushing and about to tack up!) - I appealed and further complained, the BHS did not acknowledge any of the points I made and their response basically told me what the examiner says goes - it all felt very much like closing ranks.

I would have understood if I had waited to complain after receiving results, but I had not reason to believe I hadn't passed as I know I did everything right and I wanted to lodge a complaint anyway which I did before I received results as I was very upset with the way I had been spoken to. I really felt the least they could have done was offer a re-exam as I understand there is an element of my word against hers, but bearing in mind the person I originally spoke to even admitted I wasn't the first to complain about that particular examiner and I put my complaint in the day after the exam I was really angry that my complaint fell on deaf ears.

I must add my instructor and all my colleagues at the time were dumbfounded that I had not passed and when they read the report could not believe the comments made on the most basic and petty things.

I vowed from that day on I would not give another penny to the BHS.

What a ridiculous way to treat someone, you were quite right to appeal

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Hi, as I said in my post, the horse passport was a bad law and the BHS should have stood up and told the government it would not work.

Unfortunately, the then BHS chairman (Michael Clayton) was convinced it WOULD work and that it would help with welfare - so he pushed it hard - both at the BHS and to all the other disciplines! A lot of us who were at the BHS at the time thought it was a potential PITA - at least - but trying to argue with the Chairman on the subject was impossible!!

I HOPE that the BHS will be at the front of the PIOs who strongly resist Defra's latest plans on passports!!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I will never forget or forgive when I rang and spoke about doing some exams I can't mount from the ground following an accident to be told very shortly I would be considered unsafe to teach and that was that.

That's a long-standing silliness, I'm afraid - and totally potty! My staff are not ALLOWED to mount from the ground (unless they get dumped miles from home!:D) And why the HELL would needing a mounting block make you unsafe to teach??

That is one bit of ancient 'law' that should be changed fast!

zaminda

Visit site
Having contacted the BHS a few times, it would be nice if they acknowledged your email. I have tried giving feedback about the complete lack of feedback following an exam, which I passed, but have had no response.
I would also agree that there is a wide range of people who have passed exams, some of whom must have been batting above their normal ability on the day from what I have seen.

Zemmie

Visit site
I joined initially to take exams and then subsequently have maintained Gold membership for the PL insurance.
My daughter(22) and her peers view the BHS as old fashioned "with many stupid out dated views and rules "

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
That's a long-standing silliness, I'm afraid - and totally potty! My staff are not ALLOWED to mount from the ground (unless they get dumped miles from home!:D) And why the HELL would needing a mounting block make you unsafe to teach??

That is one bit of ancient 'law' that should be changed fast!

It was changed years ago. You can use a mounting block in exams, including Riding & Road Safety, where logic dictates that if you had to dismount out hacking you would probably be able to find something to stand on to help you get back on again.

Personally I never let anyone mount from the ground.

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
Thank you BHS - official, quite understand :).
A a general pondering - One of the thoughts I've had, more with regard to PC exams, but I think BHS candidates would benefit too, would be a free of charge "training day" for any candidates who have been unsuccessful. Given how expensive exams are, could a portion of that not go towards something like this? perhaps something could be run at the same venue, a few weeks after the exam, ideally with the same chief examiner, and constructive feedback given to the invited candidates. I think that would make people feel the BHS wants them to improve, rather than this idea of "the BHS way"

I do appreciate that both PC and BHS are meant to adhere to classical training principles - sadly, like others have said, I fear those who actually understand classical are few and far between. I saw a beauty the other day, on the need for gadgets from a BHS qualified instructor:) True, it was needed to make the horse comply, but only because the horse was so physically incapable of performing what she was asking...... She didn't achieve any quality in the movement, just went through the motions because the poor thing had got no choice...... Things like that make me sad, and give the BHS a bad name to anyone who has knowledge. But it's not really the BHS at fault, it's whoever has failed to teach this little cherub a bit of basic horse sense, and feel :(

FairyLights

Visit site
I'd like to see the BHS take on board the silly petty things, like the mounting block issue stated above.---infact that sounds like discrimination against disability to me. Their attitude to this sort of thing needs to change. Also they need to re asses their amount of ground per horse advice. their advice of 1 and half acres for the first horse then 1 acre thereafter is fine May to Sept. land divided into at least 2 paddocks and rested harrowed fertilised as necessary. BUT if the horses are to be turned out during the winter months no way is this adequate to keep the land in decent order. You simply cannot keep 2 horses on less than 5 acres if they are going out in the winter and even then there will be poached ,bald parts near gates, for example. Come into the modern real world please BHS!

Tnavas

Visit site
I'd like to see the BHS take on board the silly petty things, like the mounting block issue stated above.---infact that sounds like discrimination against disability to me. Their attitude to this sort of thing needs to change. Also they need to re asses their amount of ground per horse advice. their advice of 1 and half acres for the first horse then 1 acre thereafter is fine May to Sept. land divided into at least 2 paddocks and rested harrowed fertilised as necessary. BUT if the horses are to be turned out during the winter months no way is this adequate to keep the land in decent order. You simply cannot keep 2 horses on less than 5 acres if they are going out in the winter and even then there will be poached ,bald parts near gates, for example. Come into the modern real world please BHS!

I keep my two perfectly well on 1½acres and I don't fence off into strip - consequently my land doesn't get chewed up along fence lines. Small paddocks are extremely hard on the grazing.

Currently as I have horses in two different places I have one on just over and acre and the other in just under an acre.

BHS_official

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses and keep them coming. Rowreach and Rhandir, we are looking forward to receiving your PM’s

Goldenstar - Regarding our magazine British Horse, the advertising pays for us to keep the cost of this membership benefit down to an absolute minimum, so we can maximise our spend on our charitable activities. We’re sorry that you’re not a fan and not enjoying the informative articles, news, competitions and special offers that you are receiving. Many members do write to us to tell us how much they are enjoying the publication with the plethora of useful subjects we cover, brilliant articles on riding in far flung places across the globe, updates on our orphaned foal Patrick and his cheeky observations on his carers. We try to be entertaining and educational and are always looking to improve our content, so members, let us know what you want to read about.

Thanks to various people for your comments on recent examination experiences. We’re really sorry where we have fallen short in responding. We want our exam system to be the best and therefore we cannot be complacent. Our assessors receive regular training and are highly skilled to assess to the standards required and, of course, we have confidence in their ability to do their job well. That said, no-one is infallible and we have rigorous processes in place to monitor our assessors' performance. However, we would not discuss the performance of an individual assessor with a candidate, this would be unfair to the assessor and so comments regarding this are surprising.

The Exams Office has very clear policies and procedures about making a complaint or appealing against a result. We take every complaint very seriously. As we are not present at the exam, we are unable to comment specifically about an individual's performance and will normally respond generally. However, it is unacceptable for any candidate to be left feeling upset by their treatment from an assessor, there are absolutely no excuses for this and we deal with the assessor directly.

About comments on the feedback candidates receive from assessors, the remit of our assessors is to assess to the standard required and not to provide comprehensive feedback. However, they will endeavour to provide some feedback about each candidate's performance on their result sheet, so the candidate is able work with their trainer to improve.

Our aim is for every candidate to enjoy their BHS exam experience regardless of their final result.

Nickijem

Visit site
I was a gold member for a few years mainly for the pl insurance. However last year I had to make a claim as my horse damaged a third party's property. Unfortunately the process I had to go through to settle the claim was so stressful and cost me so much in time making phone calls as my claim was passed from one person to another. I was also getting a lot of grief from the people who had sustained the damage. The whole process took about 6 months to settle so I cancelled my membership. I do think they do a lot for the welfare of horses though so I may decide to join again one day but it certainly won't be for the insurance benefits - I am now insured with NFU!

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
I joined up this year for the first time because I had two horses and it was cheaper to get the public liability insurance this way. I was also happy to support the work of the BHS. However, I am back to only one horse now, so not sure whether I will renew or not next year.

onemoretime

Visit site
Id like to see the BHS licence ALL horse dealers. This may help to stop some of the criminal activities such as buting horses up and selling horses that they know full well are not fit for purpose and quite frankly are often dangerous.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I joined for the insurance, but also because I saw the BHS becoming more open to "natural horsemanship" type methods. Also, I've now begun competing in trec, so will be renewing next month when my sub is due.
Also impressed by the variety of things on offer for the relatively low sub...legal advice, friend at the end, etc.

BHS_official

Visit site
I joined for the insurance, but also because I saw the BHS becoming more open to "natural horsemanship" type methods. Also, I've now begun competing in trec, so will be renewing next month when my sub is due.
Also impressed by the variety of things on offer for the relatively low sub...legal advice, friend at the end, etc.

Always good to hear! :)

StarcatcherWilliam - what would persuade you to stay next year? It's brilliant that you're happy to support our work and we hope you count this as an extrinsic benefit in itself. How well informed do you feel about it and what are your primary areas of concern?

onemoretime, you raise a very valid and interesting point. Nothing happens overnight but we're actively pursuing licensing of commercial establishments.

galaxy

Visit site
I am a member of BHS as am an instructor and on the Register which is my main reason as the insurance is so much cheaper.

I do get fed up of the BHS instructor bashing. There are good and bad examples of all qualifications across as jobs/inductries. I have found in my local area when I have met a few people who have complained about a certain BHS instructor I then find out it is people that I know never completed that AI, yet teach, telling people that they are. I always encourage people to check the register or if in doubt, phone the BHS and ask.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I was a member, I used it for the insurance. I was very happy with it but now need all singing/dancing insurance for self harming horse :)

BHS_official

Visit site
Great to hear, pansymouse! The South West is quite an active area - you can check out what's on near you on the website. We're sure you'll be made welcome.

BoolavogueDC - sometimes it's cheaper to be a Gold member and opt out of PL insurance on your wider policy! Plus you'd get all the other benefits you'll be aware of already - a free ticket to Hickstead, legal/VAT/tax helplines (even if it's not horsey), British Horse delivered six times per year - plus the huge benefit of knowing that you're contributing to making life better for every horse in the UK. We'd love to hear what else could persuade you to stay.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Seeing as I'm currently looking to save money on my horse insurance, I will look into that to see if it is indeed cheaper, thank you.