Area Festival Second Round Call Up

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
So the first season of a two round area festival championships and we're in to the second round stage, who's managed a second round qualification and where are you going!

We managed a very fluky second round at AM bronze, have done precisely 3 AM tests :lol:, one including the first round :eek:, and clean changes have only been spotted by a professional twice :lol:.

Off to Fieldhouse (new venue for us gulp!) on Friday, definitely not expecting to get through to the final, final at Hartpury ;).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Meeeeeee :p

But not for ages. Millie was supposed to go and do the AM silver at Fieldhouse but, yknow, Millie.... :rolleyes:

So Kira is going to Pencoed at the end of Oct, just sent the entries off. She has Medium and AM both in bronze. Also not expecting to get through, she absolutely hated the indoor at Pencoed last year but with Native champs next week, Fieldhouse wouldn't have fitted in her calendar :eek:

Good luck for Friday.

quizzie

Visit site
So the first season of a two round area festival championships and we're in to the second round stage, who's managed a second round qualification and where are you going!

We managed a very fluky second round at AM bronze, have done precisely 3 AM tests :lol:, one including the first round :eek:, and clean changes have only been spotted by a professional twice :lol:.

Off to Fieldhouse (new venue for us gulp!) on Friday, definitely not expecting to get through to the final, final at Hartpury ;).

I'm so glad there are other people doing it on a wing and a prayer.......I'm heading for the AM bronze at Oldencraig having also only done 3 AM tests, with very dodgy changes, hoping for judges with a sense of humour in case we go into launch mode ( ex-eventer assumes there is a big fence in the way when a change is asked for!!!.....think we should get bonus marks for height achieved!).

Good luck all!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Mine's an odd story. Did a really poor prelim test at Sparsholt as we had had a 2 hr break between the warm up test and the AF test, and it was incredibly hot ! So she very very hard work. We came in 11th, which I was actually over the moon with as this was the first AF test (third attempt!) that we had not had to retire in, so i was absolutely ecstatic to have just completed the test. Went home happy, and planning a few weeks down time. Then got an email from BD saying we had moved up a placing and had now qualified for the 2nd round. EEEEEK !! So we are on a serious wing and a prayer ! Heading to Widmer next week. Flipping long drive (3hrs one way) for a 5min dressage test.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Meeeeeee :p

But not for ages. Millie was supposed to go and do the AM silver at Fieldhouse but, yknow, Millie.... :rolleyes:

So Kira is going to Pencoed at the end of Oct, just sent the entries off. She has Medium and AM both in bronze. Also not expecting to get through, she absolutely hated the indoor at Pencoed last year but with Native champs next week, Fieldhouse wouldn't have fitted in her calendar :eek:

Good luck for Friday.

Aww would have been lovely to see you at Fieldhouse!!!
Though super good luck for Kira!

I'm so glad there are other people doing it on a wing and a prayer.......I'm heading for the AM bronze at Oldencraig having also only done 3 AM tests, with very dodgy changes, hoping for judges with a sense of humour in case we go into launch mode ( ex-eventer assumes there is a big fence in the way when a change is asked for!!!.....think we should get bonus marks for height achieved!).

Good luck all!

Pfft your's cannot be worse than our attempts ;)

17522676_614919005360630_3110476418462542908_n.jpg

Mine's an odd story. Did a really poor prelim test at Sparsholt as we had had a 2 hr break between the warm up test and the AF test, and it was incredibly hot ! So she very very hard work. We came in 11th, which I was actually over the moon with as this was the first AF test (third attempt!) that we had not had to retire in, so i was absolutely ecstatic to have just completed the test. Went home happy, and planning a few weeks down time. Then got an email from BD saying we had moved up a placing and had now qualified for the 2nd round. EEEEEK !! So we are on a serious wing and a prayer ! Heading to Widmer next week. Flipping long drive (3hrs one way) for a 5min dressage test.

Lol at for a 5 min test :D, Fieldhouse isn't quite that far for us, so admire your dedication :) well done on sticking with it.

milliepops

Visit site
Aww would have been lovely to see you at Fieldhouse!!!
Though super good luck for Kira!

Thanks, I feel marginally more hopeful that she might try and do her best as we are doing 2 tests in one day, rather than getting one trip into the indoor of doom. Fieldhouse would have been an overnighter, would have been fun but that's life :mad:

FWIW we were also on a wing and a prayer having done 3 AMs before our area festival :lol: during which she came out breathing fire and quickly turned into a dying hippo, which I had to carry round the arena. Ho hum!

Lol at for a 5 min test :D, Fieldhouse isn't quite that far for us, so admire your dedication :) well done on sticking with it.

definitely, well done NTTR I'm so pleased you got through :)

quizzie

Visit site
Pfft your's cannot be worse than our attempts ;)

I didnt buy my photo.....but the proof picture of our attempt looks almost identical.....but as horse is nearly 18hh....looks even more dramatic!.....nice to meet a fellow sufferer, everyone keeps telling me it'll come if we keep trying, just not sure how much longer I can survive being treated like a rag doll on top!!!.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Thanks, I feel marginally more hopeful that she might try and do her best as we are doing 2 tests in one day, rather than getting one trip into the indoor of doom. Fieldhouse would have been an overnighter, would have been fun but that's life :mad:

FWIW we were also on a wing and a prayer having done 3 AMs before our area festival :lol: during which she came out breathing fire and quickly turned into a dying hippo, which I had to carry round the arena. Ho hum!

I didnt buy my photo.....but the proof picture of our attempt looks almost identical.....but as horse is nearly 18hh....looks even more dramatic!.....nice to meet a fellow sufferer, everyone keeps telling me it'll come if we keep trying, just not sure how much longer I can survive being treated like a rag doll on top!!!.

Maybe this is what BD were aiming for and it could be the new criteria, less than 5 tests at a level, check, ok you're in :lol:.

Topaz is calming down, we generally get a few 'weeeeee' ones, followed by more sensible ones, but have only had someone see two clean ones (I struggle up top to know if we're late behind) once in a lesson where I wanted to work on them and so Topaz just did them perfectly when asked lol!

It's the one on after the extended canter that's the killer, that ones results in complete hysteria :eek:....

milliepops

Visit site
I feel sad that the judges won't be seeing Millie's launches
17457565_1504685042876334_2114304484251855037_n.jpg

:D:D:D

Do you have any mirrors at home Alex? I did all my changes straight into the mirror for a while so I could see if they were late because it all felt like a big leap to start with, whether late or correct :eek:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
No mirrors at home sadly, but I have just hired one up the road (15mins by box), which does so will making the journey there over winter I think (it's indoors and everything :lol:).

But that is my big problem, it's so big and in the air I cannot feel which bits are doing what!

j1ffy

Visit site
Super-sub Pocholo and I have qualified for Prelim Silver and Novice Bronze. He did his first affiliated comp (and first comp at all in five years) a year ago last week so I'm pretty chuffed :).

Widmer is our closest but I didn't want to take a day off work, so we're making a three hour trip to Bicton later in October. Hopefully he doesn't find it too spooky..!

CoachinaCar

Visit site
I will be at Codham second round on Friday with clients who are competing, will be interesting to see how many in the classes and what the standard will be like.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Well done super sub Pocholo :)!

Looking at Fieldhouse AM and above the classes are smaller and I hope ability well matched, well it was first round in my class anyway. The prelim-med look fairly big classes...

Branna

Visit site
I am off to Codham tomorrow for the Medium bronze - and I'm another who has qualified with the bare minimum of three Medium tests under our belt.
This is only my second year of BD and last September my mare developed a lingering cough causing us to miss our Petplans, BE regional finals, BD camp and the rest of the qualifying period. Didn't get back out competing until January, so I'll be happy just to get through the Area festival and next weekends regional final this year!

milliepops

Visit site
I am off to Codham tomorrow for the Medium bronze - and I'm another who has qualified with the bare minimum of three Medium tests under our belt.
This is only my second year of BD and last September my mare developed a lingering cough causing us to miss our Petplans, BE regional finals, BD camp and the rest of the qualifying period. Didn't get back out competing until January, so I'll be happy just to get through the Area festival and next weekends regional final this year!

best of luck Branna, I know the feeling... 4 years in a row Millie has qualified for all kinds of things in the spring and then done a leg. This year she's gone back to the leg she started with so we've done them all in rotation now starting again. :rolleyes:
The timing this year is just so frustrating, another month and she might have been able to hack round the AF 2nd round at Pencoed as originally planned... dare I hope she might stay in work til winter regionals as she qualified for that in 2 tests. Gah! Good job I've got Kira-the-spare!:rolleyes3: :cool3:

Tr0uble

Visit site
I'm off to Widmer for novice Bronze next Saturday, with my 5yo. First time at a new venue so might be a little exciting!!!

We came a strong 4th place at 1st rounds so I'm madly crossing my fingers we've worked hard enough to improve and do even better this time!!

Branna

Visit site
best of luck Branna, I know the feeling... 4 years in a row Millie has qualified for all kinds of things in the spring and then done a leg. This year she's gone back to the leg she started with so we've done them all in rotation now starting again. :rolleyes:
The timing this year is just so frustrating, another month and she might have been able to hack round the AF 2nd round at Pencoed as originally planned... dare I hope she might stay in work til winter regionals as she qualified for that in 2 tests. Gah! Good job I've got Kira-the-spare!:rolleyes3: :cool3:

Thank you!! Well we got there but she was feeling rather too well this morning... just about settled in the warm up but then lost it in the test in the canter. Oh well, got my plaque and on to the next thing!

Fingers crossed for you that Millie makes winter regionals and good luck with your lovely spare! I was thinking this afternoon hacking my very sensible 4yo how nice it is sometimes to have two!

Good luck everyone else competing this weekend.

Mavis007

Visit site
Am going to Pencoed to do the Advanced Medium Silver. Still eligible for bronze but noticed last year that silver sections smaller! Again, I would be amazed to qualify but looking forward to trying. Hopefully see you there Milliepops- I have watched part of one of your lessons at AM and love your little mare- Adam is definitely a fan!!!

LynH

Visit site
Hi. I went to Oldencraig for the ele bronze yesterday. Lovely venue but no stewards at all so no one telling you when to go to the arena from warm up etc. Only two judges in my class which was also disappointing.
Anyway I'd not ridden for two weeks as I've had a bad chest infection so was on a wing and a prayer too and just wanted to get down the centreline for my plaque. Kira did a lovely test for me with 3 obvious errors, got a 3.5 for the second counter canter from one judge!!! However we came 5th out of 30 with 67.72% so I was really delighted. Got my plaque, a rosette and a really lovely photo. Now have to wait and see if that's anywhere near good enough for a wildcard.

I started BD this year having only ever done prelim before, last time in 2009 so starting at ele bronze was a big step up for me so my goal for this year was to get to an AF first round. 5th at the finals is way beyond anything I would have hoped for esp as I've been so ill again.
Good luck to those of you still to compete.

https://www.facebook.com/SJSDressage/

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Well done LynH! Will keep my fingers crossed for a wildcard for you!

We did not have a good run at Fieldhouse but would massively recommend it as a venue, they made every effort to make it very special. Would choose it again as my second round of choice for next year :).

j1ffy

Visit site
Well done LynH, what a great result!

I've been reading the posts on the BD forum about the various venues - sounds like Oldencraig was a huge disappointment all round :( Lots of great feedback on Fieldhouse though. Hopefully Bicton is more like Fieldhouse...but hopefully without being too spooky!

Shame about your run AH - what happened?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
We warmed up super, but ran away from the photographer before the start so too much tension... a real shame as the test actually felt her best run out at this level but two out three judges did not agree lol.

Will keep going as her changes have all of a sudden come good, so tails here we come :lol:!!!!

j1ffy

Visit site
We warmed up super, but ran away from the photographer before the start so too much tension... a real shame as the test actually felt her best run out at this level but two out three judges did not agree lol.

Will keep going as her changes have all of a sudden come good, so tails here we come :lol:!!!!

What a shame :( But great news on the changes and future tails!!!

Notimetoride

Visit site
We had a lovely day at Widmer. Sadly the rain made it all rather muddy. Neednt have bothered washing her socks as the warm up was on a (wet) rubber surface hence filthy back legs.
As per usual, my pony became hormonal in the warm up and kept calling to all her new 'friends'. Sooo embarrassing. After all the effort i had put in i could feel it all going t1ts up for me yet again and me having to retire, again ! However determination took over as i seriously kicked on and tried to work through it. She was going beautifully, was on the aids, balanced, just a tad distracted. Anyway, off we went into the arena. Trotted round quite happily with my whip then after the bell tossed it carefully over the gate. Waaaaaaaaa PANIC !!! Ok kick on, up the centre line. On a good day we do lovely straight centre lines and get 8s BUT she also sometimes panics and tanks off with me. Started good, i though 'ive got this, she's with me' then saw an open space after the bus and shot off to the right (????). *$?%# !!!! Tried to ignore it and carried on. Bit tense but fairly sane. Miscommunication caused her to break in the canter. Tension caused some questionable circles but hey, we stayed in the ring and completed the test ! Thrilled to bits. The competution was so strong - beautiful horses and beautifully rudden tests. We were the underdogs so i was just happy we held our own. Anyway, i was stunned to have snook into the placings with 10th place. Highly highly delighted and v proud. Just so frustrating that yet again, tension loses us precious points. Ive no idea how i will ever solve it ? Anyway, Widmer is brilliant, and although it was a SEVEN hour round trip, we would do it again. Slightly muddy but perfect day !

Tr0uble

Visit site
I had a fantastic day out at Widmer yesterday, the 3.45am alarm clock to get us there for arena walks was well worth it....we came 3rd in the Novice and have qualified for Hartpury ��

Notimetoride

Visit site
I had a fantastic day out at Widmer yesterday, the 3.45am alarm clock to get us there for arena walks was well worth it....we came 3rd in the Novice and have qualified for Hartpury ��

3.45 ?? Thats a lie in. We were up at 3.30 Pmsl !!! Well worth it though. Well done and good luck at Hartpury :)