Area Festivals and a re-debut

j1ffy

Visit site
What a weekend! It started early with a trip to Wellington Area Festival on Friday to do the Novice Bronze class with Indio. His straightness issues mean that we're still not completely secure at Novice so I was really hoping for a fairly straight clear round with him working into both reins. Wellington was a new venue for us but he's such a teacher's pet that I didn't worry too much about that! He did have a brief look in the cafe during our warm up and was a bit goggly-eyed when we went into the arena, but a bit of stretchy trot and he breathed again.

Our test felt lovely - I felt I could really prepare him and he worked into both reins (albeit somewhat more supple to the left, it's a work in progress!) and push the mediums. He was a sweetie for the canter G&R as normally he struggles with this to the right, but he seemed to anticipate it and I felt him gather himself and take his weight back a stride or two before so he didn't fall on his face!

We untacked and put him back on the trailer then headed in for tea and cake (I love the cafe there!). After a while I wandered down to look at the scores and a friend spotted me and said "why aren't you tacking up?! You're in ninth!" Cue a mad dash back to the trailer, pulled off poor Indio and threw his tack on and in for the prize giving. Indio wasn't impressed and wanted to sleep through the whole thing.

Handsome boy

Then on Sunday it was Pocholo's turn! His last competition was in June 2011. In between he had three months navicular rehab at Rockley, then went back to Spain for four years on working livery at my friend's riding holiday place while I was away working in Hong Kong. Since coming back in January he's had some unfocused schooling, been nanny to youngsters or nutty horses on hacks and taught my stepdaughter to ride. I finally did his BD registration a couple of weeks ago so nabbed a late entry for a couple of Prelim classes.

He seemed happy to finally get off the yard! He loaded perfectly and behaved beautifully. I was pleased with both tests - he stayed mostly on my aids (he's a tad lazy...) and felt with me. I was still surprised to find we won the P15 with 65.4% and came second in P19 with 67.29%. What a superstar, he's so generous that he can teach a child to ride but perfectly capable of going to a competition after 5 years out and getting some decent scores.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Busy, busy! Well done on the AF, great result. Indio has such a sweet face in that photo :)

What's next for Pocholo? Fab return to competition :) Where was his show? my horse would have a fit about the giant hedge on the side of the arena :eek:

j1ffy

Visit site
Busy, busy! Well done on the AF, great result. Indio has such a sweet face in that photo :)

What's next for Pocholo? Fab return to competition :) Where was his show? my horse would have a fit about the giant hedge on the side of the arena :eek:

Thank you!

They've both qualified for the GBPRE BD champs at Keysoe, along with another PRE at the yard, so we'll probably head to that in early November. I haven't really planned anything for P beyond that so we'll just see how we go. I completely forgot that I could register him on an Associate membership and bought a full membership, so I guess we'd better do some Novice tests at some point to justify it ;)

We also have the Rockley Rehab Reunion at Aston-Le-Walls in a couple of weeks so we'll do a bit of fun jumping and general silliness too :D

HeresHoping

Visit site
Congratulations! Beautiful boys, both. And you've inspired me to pull my finger out. I keep thinking 'When she's straighter' but I really should just crack on. Pocholo looks great fun - a great bum for pushing uphill into the Novice and beyond.

j1ffy

Visit site
Massive congrats :) I am in awe of you dressage divas.

And I'm in awe of you daredevil eventers! We do have a camp at Aston-Le-Walls this weekend but I doubt we'll do much over 80 :)

Congratulations! Beautiful boys, both. And you've inspired me to pull my finger out. I keep thinking 'When she's straighter' but I really should just crack on. Pocholo looks great fun - a great bum for pushing uphill into the Novice and beyond.

At the lower levels they're mostly looking at the first three scales of training - rhythm, suppleness, connection (and of course the balance to get around the tests without wobbling too much!) so as long as you're not completely wonky you should do ok. We used to get a lot of 'head tilt' comments (old neck injury) but they are steadily decreasing :)