Arena etiquette

rachk89

Visit site
Ugh this person really annoyed me today i can see what you guys mean now.

I went into the arena and this person was already working their horse. I kept to the inner track and avoided her as best i could as she was cantering for about 10 minutes and I was just warming up.

However she obviously ended up taking offence that I dared to enter the arena with her and rode into me a fair few times. One time she actually made contact while still cantering and another she cantered straight in front of me. I was so angry I couldn't even begin to respond without wanting to kill her.

She also wound me up because literally every other stride she clicked her horse forward. Can you not use your seat and legs? No wonder you get beaten so much in competitions.

And then as she left I swear she deliberately kept clicking to get my horse to move out of her way. I turned and glared at her at that point and she quickly left the arena silently.

Seriously what is with people? I dread to think what she is like at a competition. Tomorrow I am taking my dressage whip and if she hits my horse again I am hitting her with it. Maybe she will see me then.

Sorry for the rant but i am so angry at her. Inconsiderate *****.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The collecting ring is the only thing I hate about competition.

I would hold the schooling whip out to the side for more room, but not hit her horse, he/she is not to blame.

In an arena I will keep away from someone such as her, you know she has to go left to left, so use that to your advantage. If she does not follow that then I yell a warning.

Good luck!

rachk89

Visit site
The collecting ring is the only thing I hate about competition.

I would hold the schooling whip out to the side for more room, but not hit her horse, he/she is not to blame.

In an arena I will keep away from someone such as her, you know she has to go left to left, so use that to your advantage. If she does not follow that then I yell a warning.

Good luck!

Sad thing is it wasn't even a competition. I dread what she is like at a competition considering she thinks she must win everything.

She went left to left and then crashed into me. Pretty sure her horses quarters hit my horses quarters. Gonna do what you say and hold the whip out. Definitely won't hit the horse it's not his fault his owner is a moron.

Flicker

Visit site
Agree with Red-1 the collecting ring is a nightmare. Sorry OP but I had a chuckle at your post because I know someone exactly like the person you are describing, who has also cantered right into me because they weren't paying attention. And they also do shockingly badly in competitions hahaha.
But on a serious note, you should be able to gave a word with the show organisers, and whoever is stewarding in the collecting ring, and ask them to offer a quiet word of advice or two.
Finally, I know it is not an option available to everyone, but I warm up for dressage by hacking. I do a bit if a walk and trot, some lateral work, a bit of shortening and lengthening and a rein back or two. I only use the collecting ring for a canter. I get hugely nervous before competitions so it is better for me to be away from people like you've described and just chilling with my horse!

rachk89

Visit site
Agree with Red-1 the collecting ring is a nightmare. Sorry OP but I had a chuckle at your post because I know someone exactly like the person you are describing, who has also cantered right into me because they weren't paying attention. And they also do shockingly badly in competitions hahaha.
But on a serious note, you should be able to gave a word with the show organisers, and whoever is stewarding in the collecting ring, and ask them to offer a quiet word of advice or two.
Finally, I know it is not an option available to everyone, but I warm up for dressage by hacking. I do a bit if a walk and trot, some lateral work, a bit of shortening and lengthening and a rein back or two. I only use the collecting ring for a canter. I get hugely nervous before competitions so it is better for me to be away from people like you've described and just chilling with my horse!

It's alright i can laugh about it now that i have ranted. She isn't that good honestly i ain't either and i couldn't jump as high as her. But her lower leg moves everywhere, she doesn't hold her leg against the horse properly always pony club kicks and clicks rather than actually rides.

She will learn quickly or the hard way not to run into me again though. If she is smart she will learn quickly. I won't have my horse injured.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Isn't the first challenge of the competition to survive the warm-up before actually getting to the ring? I thought it was all these years ;) Personally I would just politely say excuse me, give me more space please if someone got too close one too many times. Although, I do find I'm the one generally dodging those who just seem to ride AT people, I dont care as long as it keeps my horse safe. My biggest issue is always people on foot waltzing out to change the jump height without glancing to see if anyone else is approaching (I just shout "excuse me" loudly) or doing it the second their rider has cleared it so nobody else gets a chance to jump - drives me nuts, especially when there's some of us who don't have grooms!

rachk89

Visit site
Yeah at our jumping competitions at my last yard we didn't let others change the height of the practice fences they were stewarded to make sure they were the right height.

Hoping that no one is rude at an actual conversation but I imagine they will be.

Lintel

Visit site
This is what makes me a nervous wreck in the arena with others- apart from the fact your constantly being judged!
People are just rude!!
... Although I am aware I'm a pain in a butt to ride with if you've got a sensitive horse as I " click click click"

rachk89

Visit site
Presumably you'd followed the arena etiquette of asking if she minded sharing before you entered?

Yes not that I really have to since we both pay for use of it and it's accepted that everyone has use of it whenever they want except during lessons obviously. To be honest no one asks really it's just accepted that anyone can join you. The gate is never even shut it's always open.

And she didn't follow etiquette of asking if she could leave. She just left without saying a word.

Yeah lintel this one in particular seems to judge you. I have tried being nice to her always say hello but this was a step too far. She has even moved my tack to a different place without asking. I get it, I have a white horse and his white hair goes everywhere so it was going all over her tack below mine but common courtesy dictates you ask before handling someone's stuff. But no she moved it without asking. Could get past that despite the fact she messed it up but hurting my horse? Big issue. Wont be being nice in future.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
There are a couple of girls at the yard where I am who are a nightmare in the school. They tend to ride together and have a habit of riding around double breast while they chat hogging the outside track and then will randomly spring in to canter. I try to keep at one end of the school when they're in there but no matter what corner of the school I try to stick to they decide that's where they want to be. Thing is, they are actually nice girls, they just have no clue.

Re warm ups. I get realy pee's off with the practice jump hogs who have it whacked up way above the height of the class despite the rules saying otherwise, they usually have an overbearing parent with them. They then finish and the helper walks away leaving the jump way too high for everyone else warming up for an 80 cm class and if you have the audacity to ask them (politely) to put it down when they've finished showing off they act like you've ordered them to hand over all their money. Best payback is usually when their over jumped horse throws in the towel in the ring.

Also, why do people insist on tightening their girth, fiddling with their stirrups or stopping for a chat right in the firing line of the practice jumps.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Yes not that I really have to since we both pay for use of it and it's accepted that everyone has use of it whenever they want except during lessons obviously. To be honest no one asks really it's just accepted that anyone can join you. The gate is never even shut it's always open.

And she didn't follow etiquette of asking if she could leave. She just left without saying a word.

Yeah lintel this one in particular seems to judge you. I have tried being nice to her always say hello but this was a step too far. She has even moved my tack to a different place without asking. I get it, I have a white horse and his white hair goes everywhere so it was going all over her tack below mine but common courtesy dictates you ask before handling someone's stuff. But no she moved it without asking. Could get past that despite the fact she messed it up but hurting my horse? Big issue. Wont be being nice in future.

It's etiquette to ask if you can leave!?
Well, been doing that wrong for 14 odd years..!!

rachk89

Visit site
It's etiquette to ask if you can leave!?
Well, been doing that wrong for 14 odd years..!!

In places i have been yes. You ask if you can go in and ask if it's ok to leave. Some horses like mine can flip out if they are left on their own or the rider doesn't want someone opening the gate while doing faster work as they know their horse may try to make a quick getaway.

rachk89

Visit site
sorry why didn't you say something to her? Did you just enter the arena silently?

I made that clear in my op, I was too angry to even attempt telling her she was a moron. If i had done, it probably would have ended in an argument with me attempting to hit her. I don't take it nicely when someone tries to hurt my horse so i kept quiet to keep control of my anger. Like i have also said won't be doing that in future.

SusieT

Visit site
You sound like you need to speak politely at the time rather than blowing it all out of proportion tbh.. steer well away from her, and make it clear you are there if she does ride into you.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Put it down to experience and move on. The more a horse is exposed to warm up arena's the better, it is good education for them and then when you find yourself at a busy competition with 20 plus horses around you in a small space it will be less intimidating for both of you.

rachk89

Visit site
You sound like you need to speak politely at the time rather than blowing it all out of proportion tbh.. steer well away from her, and make it clear you are there if she does ride into you.

Don't think I am blowing it out of proportion really. I know my horse could have kicked hers and she didn't care enough to stay clear which says a lot about how much she cares for her horse really.

But i am going to be making it clear to her in future. Not going to stay away from her though I pay to use the arena too she can't just have it whenever she wants to herself. That really just sends her the message that she gets her own way. Just going to make it clear what will happen if she injures my horse.

rachk89

Visit site
Put it down to experience and move on. The more a horse is exposed to warm up arena's the better, it is good education for them and then when you find yourself at a busy competition with 20 plus horses around you in a small space it will be less intimidating for both of you.

Yeah exactly that's also why I like riding with other people right now it gets him used to it. Taking him to an actual show for fun at the end of April so guess he needs to get used to people like this quickly the poor lad. I just found the whole allowing her horse to crash into mine a bit much. Don't mind getting a bit close but that was actual contact and is a bit stupid.

Bernster

Visit site
If it's an arena at home, which doesn't have sole use, then I'd announce that I was coming in (not ask for permission to use the arena), check it's safe to do so, and then if she'd have bothered me, I would have said something at the time, polite but firm.

I can imagine it's v annoying but I think the best way to stop that kind of behaviour, if people don't do anything about it themselves, is to ask. She might not realise, or be a bit ignorant, so I'd give her the benefit of the doubt the first time it happened.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
There is nothing worse than sharing an arena with someone who has no concept of personal space whether it be at home or at competitions!

Can you not ask her which part of the school she is using & if you can stick to opposite ends?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Just pointing out it is illegal to hit someone or threaten to hit someone no matter what you perceive they are doing.....how sure are you that she was 'riding at you'? I have ridden with many people who just don't realise, they focus on their horse (with their head down!) and just don't notice what they are doing rather then being 'crazy'. TBH how violent you seem to be getting over it would worry me more would not a sensible conversation work better? And if not then a word with the YO?

Auslander

Visit site
I made that clear in my op, I was too angry to even attempt telling her she was a moron. If i had done, it probably would have ended in an argument with me attempting to hit her. I don't take it nicely when someone tries to hurt my horse so i kept quiet to keep control of my anger. Like i have also said won't be doing that in future.

I think you need to calm down and deal with the situation slightly differently! If the other person is behaving like a fool in the arena, I'd speak to her first, and if that didn't work, I'd speak to the yard owner.
If one of my liveries posted on here suggesting that they'd use physical violence against another resident - they'd be off my yard SO damn fast.

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
She's perfectly entitled to 'click' at her horse. If that upsets yours, that sounds like your problem, not hers.
And are you sure she deliberately rode at you? Mine can be a nappy little so-and-so sometimes, and will try and follow his friend rather than work by himself (years of group lessons in a riding school have a lot to answer for).

rachk89

Visit site
I think you need to calm down and deal with the situation slightly differently! If the other person is behaving like a fool in the arena, I'd speak to her first, and if that didn't work, I'd speak to the yard owner.
If one of my liveries posted on here suggesting that they'd use physical violence against another resident - they'd be off my yard SO damn fast.

I calmed down yesterday lol. I needed to rant big deal. Pretty if anyone else had their horse put in a situation where they might get hurt they wouldn't be pleased either. It's not even just my horse that could get hurt it's hers too. I don't want my horse being blamed for breaking another horses leg just because the rider didn't ride theirs properly.

I am just going to ignore her from now on. Clearly best we stay away from each other. She can be nice to some people I have seen it but I dunno what she has against the majority of people. It's a shame but her issue not mine.

JFTDWS

Visit site
From your posts, it does sound rather like it's your issue though - her "crime" appears to have been a little carelessness in her approach to personal space. Your reaction is way over the top - threatening violence, character assassination on here - because you don't think she observed the school rules well enough.

Alas, you lost the moral high ground on that score when you didn't ask if it's ok to enter the school. You're not asking permission to come in - you're asking them to make sure their horse is suitably situated and controlled so that it is safe for you to enter.

rachk89

Visit site
From your posts, it does sound rather like it's your issue though - her "crime" appears to have been a little carelessness in her approach to personal space. Your reaction is way over the top - threatening violence, character assassination on here - because you don't think she observed the school rules well enough.

Alas, you lost the moral high ground on that score when you didn't ask if it's ok to enter the school. You're not asking permission to come in - you're asking them to make sure their horse is suitably situated and controlled so that it is safe for you to enter.

Er guessing you didn't read the whole thread as I said I did ask? Said that no one really does that's just how they run things there.

As I have said too just gonna leave it. If she wants to be careless fine but don't think places for competitions will like it if she does it there. But that's not my problem potentially it's hers.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Actually, you said "yes" but proceeded to justify why you didn't have to ask, which says to me that you probably didn't. Just reading between the lines ;)

Well, she'll fit right in at competitions. Most folk seem to have no idea about safe conduct these days, so I doubt she'll stand out enough for anyone to care.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We've always found that the collecting ring at a BS show, although very busy seems to have less issues than the collecting ring at a BD show. BD riders seem to have their eyes glued to between the horses ears & are totally oblivious to anything happening around them. I appreciate that not everyone is like this but we've found many to be like this & there are a tremendous number of near misses. BS riders are generally moving around faster but are more aware of their surroundings. :)

only_me

Visit site
Just accept it as an accident that she rode too close to you. If she is regularly out competing then she is probably used to small warm ups and therefore normally passes other horses closely as has too. It could be that what you see as too close isn't actually that close - if her horse had hit yours on the quarters would your horse not have reacted more?
I'd watch her when she is riding in the school with others from the yard, and see what happens there.

Otherwise you could use it as a schooling opportunity for when you have to warm up in a ridiculously small arena :p