Arena Surfaces

FBDD

Visit site
I know it's a common topic and I have researched it but really looking for general discussion about arena surfaces.

I'm looking at building a brand new 20x60 and can't decide on the surface type. Yes it must have silica sand as the main base, however do you go for a fibre/rubber mix topping or do I look to see if I can afford a waxed surface.

I really do not rate the chopped up bits of carpet fibre surfaces, even as a topping. I'm just not convinced it doesn't give you a slightly dead feel, even though they do sound economical.

If anyone does have waxed surfaces, can you advise which company you used?

The most important thing is that it doesn't freeze, I can't really water it either so as low maintenance as possible really. TIA

Asha

Visit site
I asked around before getting mine. A few people mentioned the waxed surface was great when going to competitions, but to have at home wasn't ideal. The wax surface apparently can rub/more abrasive.

I have a fibre surface, it does freeze but it must be below -4. I don't ride when its that cold anyway

Spottyappy

Visit site
I second flexi ride. However, I did have a slight issue with Equestrian direct not supplying the ordered quantity. Sorted in the end, and have been very pleased with it.
If you Can afford it, get the leaky pipe watering system put in regardless of what surface you have, it really does a grand job.
I don’t have it, and flexi ride is fine without it, but it would help with many other surfaces, and may improve flexi ride further too.
Edited to say, rubber can be a problem with planners as it’s not easily disposed of after use, and I was not given permission to use it.

blood_magik

Visit site
I have a lightly waxed surface at home and I love it. I do make sure legs are brushed off after riding though. It doesn’t need watering - just harrowing approx once a week. Can’t advise on it freezing as it’s indoors.

Rubber can be a pain to dispose of, which is why we will more than likely avoid it when it’s time to build our outdoor.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Thanks everyone, ok so I'll look into Flexi ride and see if I can go view some already in use xx

I love our Flexiride and, although it is basically chopped up carpet, there’s also lots of foam and rubber in there too which makes it really bouncy and far from dead. (Actually felt a little strange until I got used to it). We went for a complete surface with no sand underneath which actuallly worked out more economical.

One thing though- I have had issues with electric shocks from the surface during prolonged dry weather. It only happens when people walk on the surface and then touch a horse. I assume it’s the two insulators (surface and boots) rubbing together and causing build up of static that causes it. Equestrian Direct weren’t much help when I informed them about it. It does mean we can’t lunge during really dry weather but, as I love everything else about the surface, Ive decided I’ll just have to live with it.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Fiona, not heard of that happening. Do you think the lack of sand is a contributing factor?

I’m not sure. I did lots of revision of past science concepts (!) and came to the conclusion that it’s the two insulators causing the transfer of ions and static charge but not sure if it would be any bette wit( the sand. The people at Equestrian Direct suggested topping it with sand to see if that would help but, as I was happy with the surface and they didn’t know if it would fix it, I didn’t want to go to that expense and end up with a surface I didn’t like as much that still had the problem. They said they hadn’t heard of it happening before, but I got the impression that maybe they weren’t being entirely truthful.

I’ve isolated it to only happening when it’s been really dry for a while and the surface has no moisture at all. It does mean that leading a horse would be a no-no and lunging is an issue as, when changing the rein after walking about, the poor horse ends up getting a blast!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Blimey! That’s not ideal by a long way!
They weren’t the most helpful wth me when I had a surface shortfall, in spite of my photographic evidence! They did eventually send somone out, who agreed and I had the shortfall made up.
I am,however, very pleased with the Surface and how it rides.
Have never had a shock from it, touch wood!

Fruitcake

Visit site
Blimey! That’s not ideal by a long way!
They weren’t the most helpful wth me when I had a surface shortfall, in spite of my photographic evidence! They did eventually send somone out, who agreed and I had the shortfall made up.
I am,however, very pleased with the Surface and how it rides.
Have never had a shock from it, touch wood!

I do think it was just the weather we had this summer as hadn’t had it before or since but am always wary now when it’s dry and ride off the arena before dismounting! Agree about the (un)helpfulness of the company once they’ve sold it to you but also love the surface!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
We also have flexiride (with sand). It's the same all year round, copes really well with dry/wet/cold weather. It was frosted on the top this morning but springy as usual. I do think the horses find it hard work to begin with compared to normal sand arenas. It's low maintenance, the only thing I don't like is my YO harrows it with chain harrows and that makes it fluffy, I think it's better with roller-type levellers.

I still think I prefer to train on sand & fibre for the stability of a less springy surface... but I don't miss any training days due to weather on this surface so def has its benefits.
Previous yard had sand/clopf which was not waxed so needed to be watered in very dry spells, and froze solid in cold weather.

FBDD

Visit site
Yes Milliepops, the maintenance is really low on the Flexiride and I think your right about using a roller type leveller. I also thought about using the small chain harrows upside down so as not to fluff it up.

Banzai

New User
Visit site
Re Flexi ride is good! Doesn't freeze or need watering! - what did you put the Flexiride on top of. Does it need sand or can you ride on just Flexiride?