ARGH!!! Misconceptions!!

Katikins

Visit site
So my boss is talking about getting a dog, I think his family would be great dog owners and at lunch we were talking about breeds. Greyhounds were mentioned and someone else piped up with 'HAHAHA, they need like 5 hours exercise a day!! They are mental.' (this guy has never actually met one). I know I shouldn't but I got quite annoyed. How is this misconception still around!?!!

Sorry, no real point to this post, it just really annoyed me and wanted to vent.

What misconceptions have you come across lately? :)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Misconceptions don't bother me, its whether people are open to hearing the truth, that bothers me.

I am constantly barraged with "Jack Russels? Err yappy, scrappy..." and I'm like uhm no, not mine..!

Montyforever

Visit site
I had the greyhound one the other day when i told my neighbours im looking into getting one .. :p

Also had "they are vicious, why do you think they are always muzzled?" errr no .. :confused:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
All modern/showline GSDs are unsound slopey backed cripples that can't move/work.

All GSDs will get hip problems eventually.

GSDs and Alsatians are separate breeds.

All GSDs are treacherous and will turn on their handlers (yeah, that's why they make such good service dogs...)

Montyforever

Visit site
All GSDs are treacherous and will turn on their handlers (yeah, that's why they make such good service dogs...)

This one always makes me laugh!
We have a few police dog handlers at our yard and he often brings his absolutly HUGE working gsd up, never met a sweeter dog. He just spends his whole time following the smells on the yard and begging for cuddles :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Apart from the 'those dogs are aggressive' one I've also been told by three separate people now, all doggy people with half-decent knowledge, that huskies are prone to hip dysplasia. :confused:

They're seventh from the bottom in the BVA list thingy by breed, with a breed average score of seven. I know very little about the hip scoring process but I'm fairly sure you can't get much better than that!

Lady La La

Visit site
A lady from the rescue centre I fosterd Bryony from told me to make sure I don't allow play fighting with my dogs, because being a bull breed Bryony can bite and 'lock on' to things/Tyson/Me
I came on here in mild panic and got told that they actually can't 'lock' their jaws...

BigRed

Visit site
I am fed up with being told whippets are nervous and need lots of exercise. When we take them to county shows, we feel like getting a T-shirt made up saying "no - they are not Italian Greyhounds"

silverbullet

Visit site
I have had on more that one occasion whilst explaining my dogs are kept in kennels "is that because you can't housetrain them?" um, nope, they're housetrained as well, they don't spend 24-7 in the kennel!!

Also about the spangles "ooh a spaniel, aren't they a bit nuts, do they wreck your house", um, nope, they get enough exercise and are quite happy to settle down in the house!!

lizziebell

Visit site
I am fed up with being told whippets are nervous and need lots of exercise. When we take them to county shows, we feel like getting a T-shirt made up saying "no - they are not Italian Greyhounds"

I am fed up with being told Italian Greyhounds are nervous and delicate. I also feel like getting a T-shirt made up saying "no - they are not Baby Whippets" :D

prosefullstop

Visit site
That keeping dogs in a city apartment is cruel. Okay, so maybe a Border Collie would be a bad idea, but if I take my dogs out three or four times a day, have them play with scores of other dogs at the park, how is that different to most suburban homes with stamp-sized gardens?

Another misconception: that Boston terriers, being a bull breed, are aggressive. There's a very good reason the "Meet the Breeds" event in NYC has a stand where you donate money to charity in return for a BT kiss :D

Spudlet

Visit site
Nutty spangles, check, I get that one:rolleyes:

Or the other end of the scale 'oh it's a spaniel, therefore it must be nice, therefore when it is sitting nicely behind its owner in a shop I will sneak up behind her and start waving its ears about / envelop it totally in a full-body hug without saying a word to the owner in advance...':mad: Thus totally screwing up my training, and putting themselves at risk - yes he is lovely but not all of them would take so kindly to that sort of thing - and why should they?!:rolleyes:

cobgirlie

Visit site
Apparently according the 'people' my :

Terriers will kill all cats/rabbits/anything small and furry
Staffies will kill...anything that moves including me!! OH and they get 'lock jaw':rolleyes:
Lurcher will need 14 hours exercise a day and must NEVER be let off lead.
Whippett will break his leg jumping off the sofa.
Standard Poodle cross is a 'Labradoodle' (No he's a mutt!)
All my dogs have behavioural problems and will bite anyone cos they are rescues.

That's just for starters.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Also about the spangles "ooh a spaniel, aren't they a bit nuts, do they wreck your house", um, nope, they get enough exercise and are quite happy to settle down in the house!!

I get this lots! 'Ooh, springers, they must be mad!' Yeah, so INSANE that both pups crawled onto my lap this morning so they could promptly fall asleep and have snuggles. Crazy! :rolleyes:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Well I have an English Setter and a Westie so I don't get this problem, but I think many preconceptions come from people who have met dogs who simply don't get enough excercise. If my dogs don't get three walks a day, they very quickly turn from calm, affectionate, well-behaved dogs into destructive, rude and crazy ones!

2Greys

Visit site
Owning greyhounds i've heard the "they need plenty of exercise" so many times, i think people see the athlete but don't take note of the brief time they race for, its like comparing a 100m sprinter with a marathon runner.

The other most common one i hear about the breed is "they'll kill any cats/small dogs/furries etc" or "they've been trained to kill" as a sweeping statement, when many successful ex-racers have gone on to live with cats as its about the individual dog. They also seem to forget that many dogs (any breed) don't always get along with cats/ other dogs/ small furries.

I think what annoys me is the people who spread the myths as facts to others so that someone who might of been considering a breed or adopting a dog gets put off before investigating it for themselves.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Another one for the "all staffies are killers"

Yup, my 2 little killers are currently snoring in my bed (its cold don't you know) and do a very good job of introducing nervous children to dogs.

In fact, staffie welfare say that these dogs should NOT be bought as guard dogs as like humans too much (and not just for tea). Still they make plenty of noise when anyone comes near the house!

Oh and a frequent question - why are yours so small. Um no, they are standard staffie size (in fact the bitch is a little on the large side!)

Bug2007

Visit site
Greyhounds need lots of exercise......:D:rolleyes:

You try telling mine that, he needs dragging out the door, once out he has a frantic ten circles pee's, poohs and tries to get backk in before the door is even open.

Oh yeah and he eats anything small and fluffy....oh no sorry got that wrong too, he drinks out of the cats bowl while the cat is drinking out of it.

Another misconception is Dobermanns.....films have not done them any favours as they are crazy man eaters....yeah good guard dogs as they have a pressance but they make good family pets too.

cobgirlie

Visit site
That you always get the best traits from both breeds when you cross breed... duh... no you don't!

HA!!! I'd introduce those people to my Staffie x Beagle. She is the most evil witch from hell!! She got the absolute worse from both breeds. Imagine a dog unfriendly who scents goes deaf and is built like a brick ***** house!!:eek:

cbmcts

Visit site
I've got a rottie - nuff said :eek:

Oh and he must be a cross breed because he's so "small" 25 inches at the shoulder, 45kgs and he has a waist.....just because so many of that breed are obese doesn't mean that it is correct or a breed standard *sigh*

JadeyyAndLadyy

Visit site
That German Shephards are dangerous and aggressive :rolleyes:
My mum is terrified of this breed, im assuming its because they are such good guard/police dogs she assumes they will all attack people.... I Love GSD :D Every one that ive met are soppy and loyal :)

samerlin

Visit site
I've got a rottie - nuff said :eek:

Oh and he must be a cross breed because he's so "small" 25 inches at the shoulder, 45kgs and he has a waist.....just because so many of that breed are obese doesn't mean that it is correct or a breed standard *sigh*

I have the same comments, also cause she has a waist she must be a doberman.
and she is the soppiest one out of the little pack of GSD and JR. lovely to hear others have slim rotties

Broodle

Visit site
That all breeders of cross breeds are back street puppy farmers who take no interest in the health or welfare of the dogs they produce.

Just because they are not breeding a pure breed does not mean they are evil wrongdooers! Although I do accept that the majority advertising in the local paper and on the free sites are nasty profiteering so and sos, there are good ones out there, and there can be good reasons for breeding a nice cross.