Arkley View Livery Stables

OWLIE185

Visit site
Know the area well as kept a horse round the corner for years Totteridge livery stables (now closed) and Mote End Farm. It is on a fairly busy road but if you are prepared to hack along it you can hack to Arkley Lane and the bridleway which crosses the A1 and there is ton's of quiet hacking all the way to South Mimms Woods. In the other direction you can hack to Arandene Open space, Hampstead Heath and Hyde Park.
Arkley View was run by the Clark,s but Jack Clark sadly died a few years ago. Don't know about the present condition of the yard.

tangosmum

Visit site
I dont think Hampstead heath and Hyde park are hacking distance! Unless you want to do 10 miles each way on busy London roads.

I used to go to shows there years ago when it was owned and run by Jack Clark. I think it is now run by his daughter.

Seems to be a fun yard, good for kids...lots of kids. The hacking isnt great (lots of road work) and I think the facilities arent more than an outdoor menage.

Have you considered Strangeways instead?. Not far from Arkley and fab facilities.

galleon

Visit site
Hi there, i used to keep my horses at Arkley stables, Jack Clark ran them then, and Fay. Jack was as racehorse Trainer, and had excellant gifts in getting unsound horses sound. I had A-Mon-Ra there a chestnut Thoroughbred Stallion, and Candy who was a Dales pony, my Fathers Horse was MONARCH, and also i had a Palomino Mare named Chammassoir. Bob was there also, he schooled some horses, and Janice was there, she had an Anglo Arabian named Amaranda. I also had my Anglo Arabian Palomino Stallion there, his name was Jambi's Double Cream The whole place was FUN beautiful stables, this would have been in the 1970's then. Mr.Matten i believe that was his name owned the yard and priory house at the top of the driveway.
Lots of nice people kept thir horses there, The excdellant Vets up the road in Boreham Wood were at the time Pickup & Stockman, and Chris Harris who was a wonderful Veterinarian, I also had at Arkley my DIAMOND a big Bay Thoroughbred, whom only i could ride. She had been a rogue when i bought her from Mill Hill, Gloria Gaynors property at Mill Hill.
I know Arkley is in new ownership now, and i hear Jack has passed away, the end of a wonderful era,.

Sincerely,

Valerie in Adelaide, South Australia.

unbalanced

Visit site
My friend was there for a summer a couple of years ago when he was selling his horse. He really liked it and said it was friendly and relaxed. There was a large outdoor school with jumps but as someone has said no indoor. I'm not sure how the surface gets in winter or how good the lighting is. I looked at it when I was looking for somewhere for my mare two years ago but rejected it as Emma didn't have overnight turnout for mares in summer as she has/had a rig that goes out at night. She did have overnight turnout for geldings though so it was fine for my friend. I can't say about winter turnout.
I think the hacking from there would be good as long as your horse is fine in traffic. The yard is on a busy road which you can get off and onto bridleways fairly quickly - then it is possible to ride out for three or four hours from there easily. You do need a sensible horse and lots of fluorescents though.

Galley Lane (Barnet Livery Yard) is around the corner. Again it has great hacking (slightly less roadwork) and this yard has good turnout for both mares and geldings in summer (summer turnout starts very early, usually early March, and doesn't end until October). Winter turnout really depends on luck though - some years will be 24/7, some years will go down to almost nothing, it depends what the ground gets like. The school is lovely in summer and boggy in winter. There are lots of people there who do NH and a Parelli instructor so great if that's your thing but there is no pressure to join in if it's not. There are also people working towards BHS exams and taking a more 'traditional' approach.

Strangeways has amazing facilities - lots of schools, same great hacking, lots of 'their' instructors and in-house competitions. However it is also the most expensive. For me the disadvantage would be that it has quite a lot of rules but I think you can see these on their website and most people other than me would think they are perfectly reasonable - like no ball games - but I like getting my horse to chase a ball around the school - so Strangeways and I would probably not have been a match made in heaven. I used to go there for shows though on my best behaviour ;) and they are very nice (and smart).

Plenty of other yards around too - there is a little yard down Arkley Lane which I don't know much about (but beware the ice on that road in winter) - maybe someone else on here knows that one.

Then there is Bury Farm in Edgewarebury Lane off the A41 which has an indoor, outdoor, farm hacking and decent turnout for £36 a week. If you say exactly where you are looking for and what facilities you need I can probably be more helpful :)

lula

Visit site
Then there is Bury Farm in Edgewarebury Lane off the A41 which has an indoor, outdoor, farm hacking and decent turnout for £36 a week. If you say exactly where you are looking for and what facilities you need I can probably be more helpful :)

i had a horse on loan at Bury Farm in the mid 90's. i think it was a combination of a few seperate DIY yards then but it had an indoor and outdoor school even then. Nice friendly place although not sure what its like now.

Unbalanced, do you know what the big teaching yard in Mill Hill is called? Up the hill from the station i think it was. Had a share on a lovely horse there as well around the same time although at the time i dont think it had an indoor school but had serveral outdoors and its own X country course.
i dont live in N. london anymore and cant for the life of me remember the name. prob all under different ownership nowadays anyway.

unbalanced

Visit site
i had a horse on loan at Bury Farm in the mid 90's. i think it was a combination of a few seperate DIY yards then but it had an indoor and outdoor school even then. Nice friendly place although not sure what its like now.

Unbalanced, do you know what the big teaching yard in Mill Hill is called? Up the hill from the station i think it was. Had a share on a lovely horse there as well around the same time although at the time i dont think it had an indoor school but had serveral outdoors and its own X country course.
i dont live in N. london anymore and cant for the life of me remember the name. prob all under different ownership nowadays anyway.

London Equestrian Centre, do you mean? They have the most beautiful indoor now which is like an enormous covered outdoor so never gets dusty. They built another outdoor next to it, also huge, lovely set of show jumps and a small outdoor too. Then they have cross country jumps in the fields. I think they only do full livery or working livery though OP.

Next door is Frith Manor which does DIY and part livery and has XC, two outdoors and a small indoor although you are only allowed certain outside instructors.

lula

Visit site
London Equestrian Centre, do you mean? They have the most beautiful indoor now which is like an enormous covered outdoor so never gets dusty. They built another outdoor next to it, also huge, lovely set of show jumps and a small outdoor too. Then they have cross country jumps in the fields. I think they only do full livery or working livery though OP.

Next door is Frith Manor which does DIY and part livery and has XC, two outdoors and a small indoor although you are only allowed certain outside instructors.

i dont think it was the London Equestrian Center in the 90's. is it possible its changed name? this is going to drive me mad now.:D Grrr !
It was a large BHS teaching yard very well respected. The lady that looked after my horse was a BHII and brilliant teacher. ive heard of Frith Manor as we used to hack to shows there. Im guessing its the same place. sounds very similar. the outdoor school was massive. and yes, no DIY livery.

Last edited:

galleon

Visit site
I thought Frith Manor was at Harrow, i used to keep my Mare Diamond at Woodcock Farm, at Elstree, then at High Canons, Nr.Well End,Borehamwood. I also knew of all the local stables, and also i worked at The Home of Rest for Horses at Borehamwood for some time. also i kept horses at Arkley Stables, when Jack Clarke was the proprietor. I had a Stallion there, named A-Mon-Ra. and my Mare his Dam. Diamond 9th, and my Mothers Mare was Candy a Dales Pony, and Jambi's Double Cream a Palomino Stallion which i owned, and my Fathers Hunter named MONARCH, and a Cremello Mare named Candy's Spring Fever, and her Dam also whose name was CHAMMASSOIR a Palomino whom I sold and we also sold Monarch to Jackie who used to live at the top of Arkley Stables drive, Jackie owned a Red Ford Mustang, i remember the old Man weho owned Arkley Stables, he used to come down and visit Jack & Fay, my memories are fading a bit, i left UK for Australia in 1982, and i sold most of the horses, but no Diamond or DUSKY my Mule, they both went to the Lockwood Donkey Sanctuary, retired. I gave Jack Clarke a Donkey as companion to his Donkey they wandered around the [paddocks) I also remember Strangeways Riding School at Well End, my friend Janice kept her Grey Anglo Arab there for a time, then moved her to Arkley her name was AMARANDA. Does anybody remember Hill Top Stables, at Stanmore Common? i kept Diamond there for awhile. You can reply to my email if you wish. valerie120bb@dodo.com.au

Bernster

Visit site
In that area, there is also Earls Farm livery and Cross Oaks. They are connected as they are owned by the ATBone business/family. Cross Oaks has good facilities and is a bigger yard.

Earls Farm is where I am at and it is fantastic - facilities not quite as swish as Cross Oaks but they have a nice outdoor school, lunge pen, walker, lovely quiet atmosphere, turn out all year round, good hacking (some road work but generally not busy roads) and most of all - the care and management is first class. Best yard I've ever been at!

PolarSkye

Visit site
just read out of curiosity, strangeways rules and contract , is the livery allowed to breathe whilst on premises?

Must admit, went and nosey myself and . . . cor blimey! Most of it does make good sense (although I'd have a problem with not being able to tie Kal up on the yard . . . I certainly the sentiment, but . . . ).

Lovely facilities, but not somewhere I would choose to take Kal due to the rules.

P

stargirl88

Visit site
I was there about 6 years ago when Jack still ran it, no one I know is there any more but it was a pleasant, relaxed yard. From what I remember Emma's a good trainer. There were two outdoor schools not sure if that's still the case.
There are several yards in the area, again the one up Arkley lane (I don't know what it's called but there's a number outside the gate to ring for livery enquires) which I went and viewed last year and it looked really lovely!!!! Strangeways/cowley hill liveries in borehamwood. There's Vale Farm which is closer to Arkley. Loads :D depends what you're looking for

galleon

Visit site
From Valerie,

I remember Medburn Farm, i also knew Phil who owned a horse who was part Thoroughbred & New Forest a Bay i cannot remember the horses name so long ago, Phil had a Daughter who used to come riding with us in a group. Phil used to be a stunt Man for the films. I think his Daughters name was Sue surname like McFinnery. I also kept horses at Slade Farm just off Medburn Dog Kennels, well behind the kennels, and Butterfly Lane, such lovely memories, Does anybody remember Mr & Mrs.Fosker, they had Rosy a Irish Draft x TB.Mare, and also Donnie a 1/2 TB Gelding, and Frisky an Anglo Arabian Gelding, they kept them at Slade Farm, used to be at Strangeways at one time, then at Arkley when Jack Clark & Fay used to be there. I remember at Woodcock Hill Farm on the common opposite where i used to ride my Diamond, Brossie Smith the Gypsy used to tether his horses there, i knew Brossie well. And also all the Gipsies whom i visited along the A1 bypass. & A5 from Borehamwood. My little black mule was quite a character i used to ride him a lot as he was 100% traffic proof, my Diamond would rear up in traffic with the buses,ha,ha but i got her 99% traffic proof, does anybody remember Len Hooper at Pennywell Farm, or Ken Hooper the Farrier, Lens Son or Dick the old chap who used to live in a caravan where Len Hooper ran his livery yard, a do it yourself or he would feed, Len was frightened of my Diamond as many were, she had a bad reputation, but was perfect with me, and anybody remember Stannmore Common and the forest there, loved riding there round by the chalk pit ponds very deep they were over 80 feet. I also remember riding to the water meadows. ll along the bypass i once rode miles down the by pass past the Comet roundabout, i had been out with 16 point to pointers racehorses and my Diamond bolted when a truck went past, we left those 16 horses in the dust, nothing could catch Diamond, and a Police car came alongside me, telling me my Mare was eceeding 42.4 mph did i want the coach behind me stopped. YES i cried out YES, the driver told me he had been frightened to pass me as my Horse was the fastest thing he had ever seen. 8 miles the Police told me they had followed her. Gee talk about a ride out on a Sunday. That was many years ago now. I have TB's here in South Australia including 3 Stallions 2 are Tb's. and 1 is an Egyptian Arabian who i saved he was skinny and well dying he is in superb condition and 29 years old. Hope somebody will reply. Is Chris Harris the Vet still around he was a wonderful Vet at Borehamwood. Pickup & Stockman. Along Elstree road was another Vet Vivienne something not much good.

swfy03

Visit site
Does anyone have any idea how much arkley view livery or barnet livery yard or vale farm charge per week for DIY? Thanks

galleon

Visit site
Hi when i was at Arkley Stables in the late 70's, when Jack Clarke ran it with Fay, they charged me around $10 stable & 5 for grass paddock, sorry should be a pound sign,not a dollar. I had a lot of horses there, two stallions, somebody might remember me, i had Ducky my Black Mule, Candy a Dales pony, Candys Spring Fever a Cremello mare, Chammasair a Palomino Mare, Monarch my Fathefrs Hunter, A-Mon-Ra my Chestnut Stallion T.B. he was Jack took him to Newmarket to try him out, he was so fast he left them all in the dust, he was My Mare DIAMONDS Son, Diamond was a show jumper, I bought her from Gloria Gaynor at Mill Hill Stables. I also knew a Mr.Evans at Strawberry Vale Stables , and Phil McEnery who had his horse at Trotters Bottom somewhere, ha,ha long time ago. A NMr.Williams i knew also who had a Yorkshire Coach Horse BELLA was her name a Cleveland Bay x TB. I also knew Janice who had a beautiful Grey Anglo Arab Mare named Amaranda. Long dead now of course, as i left UK in 1982 for Oz. I live in Adelaide, if anybody knows of me please swrite, my email is. valerie120bb@dodo.com.au I always laugh about dodo, the dead bird. I have TB's here, and 1 Egyptian 29 year old Stallion, the TB's two are Stallions, the rest brood mares & young stock. I also have two cows as pets. a Jersey Heifer and a red shorthorn cow. Plus many ogther critters. Hope to hear from somebody who muight remember me.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Was it Belmont by any chance?

Beat me to it. I used to ride there in the late 90s before it closed. I remember the schools were down the hill in the dark which could be a bit hairy at times.
It closed when the owner lost his fight to get planning permission to renovate. It's some sort of childrens farm now.

The cross country course was a BE pre novice and Novice designed by captain mark Phillips.

lula

Visit site
yes it was Belmont!

it would have been mid 90's for me. i 18 and lived in earls court in centeral london at the time . I always remember getting on the train 3 times a week with a push bike and then getting off the train and having to cycle up a humungous sodding hill where Belmont was up at the right at the road on the top.

I had a fabulous time there, shared a lovely little black tb called Harriet owned by a high flying City career lady who rarely had the time to get up so i rode and competed her as often as i wanted.
wish i could remember the name of my trainer there.

very sorry to hear it closed.
That's the third yard i know of it London thats fought with planning/council and had to eventually close because of it. One in Hyde Park Corner and the other where i worked in the 90's Manor Farm in Richmond.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
very sorry to hear it closed.
That's the third yard i know of it London thats fought with planning/council and had to eventually close because of it.

There was a bit more to it in this case. It was hugely complicated with a suspicion on the part of the residents who then lobbied strongly that the redevelopment of the stables was being used as a back door to get some redevelopment and an access road on green belt land. That the proposals went beyond just refurbishing the stables.

The owner wasn't horsey and chose to close it when he didn't get the planning consent.

It was put up for rent but yard only not the land so without adequate grazing and turnout no takers. It then lay abandoned for almost 10 years till it was turned into the children's farm a ew years back http://www.belmontfarm.co.uk/

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Hi there, i used to keep my horses at Arkley stables, Jack Clark ran them then, and Fay. Jack was as racehorse Trainer, and had excellant gifts in getting unsound horses sound. I had A-Mon-Ra there a chestnut Thoroughbred Stallion, and Candy who was a Dales pony, my Fathers Horse was MONARCH, and also i had a Palomino Mare named Chammassoir. Bob was there also, he schooled some horses, and Janice was there, she had an Anglo Arabian named Amaranda. I also had my Anglo Arabian Palomino Stallion there, his name was Jambi's Double Cream The whole place was FUN beautiful stables, this would have been in the 1970's then. Mr.Matten i believe that was his name owned the yard and priory house at the top of the driveway.
Lots of nice people kept thir horses there, The excdellant Vets up the road in Boreham Wood were at the time Pickup & Stockman, and Chris Harris who was a wonderful Veterinarian, I also had at Arkley my DIAMOND a big Bay Thoroughbred, whom only i could ride. She had been a rogue when i bought her from Mill Hill, Gloria Gaynors property at Mill Hill.
I know Arkley is in new ownership now, and i hear Jack has passed away, the end of a wonderful era,.

Sincerely,

Valerie in Adelaide, South Australia.

I was at Arkley in the seventies 75-78/79, but I'm sorry none of those horses ring any bells.

Great times but can't agree about the hacking, roads, roads and more roads. Mind you we didn't exactly go out of our way to avoid them. Nothing like going for a gallop along the Barnet by pass or getting chased off the then being built M25 by the construction crew.:D

Sad to hear Jack is dead, a lovable rogue if ever there was. Ruled all us kids with a mixture of awe inspiring fear and hope that he might actually be nice to you sometimes (which he was).

I knew Bob well. He did well for himself in the end, took over the management of the The Arkley pub.

It's a small world though. Years after leaving Arkley some friends (ex Arkley as well) and myself were attending a summer show in deepest Cornwall where they had a display by the Arkley jousting team. Turns out they started in Jack's fields, the jousting field at the back where we used to jump the still existing jousting rail.

Also you gave Jack the donkey?
She was a complete pain.:D

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
LOL - boy is this bringing back memories. I used to have my horse stabled at Strangeways and hack to Arkley for the shows. :) Remember doing a cross country there that managed to spook the life outta me. My lad was fine. LOL

We used to go to Strangeways for the indoor jumping.:D

What years were you at Strangeways. I know a woman who was there from Arkley circa 1985/6, Jackie?

In the seventies there was a woman from Strangeways, had a bay pony, forward going, scatty, she had him for years and years. Well after we had all moved onto horses. I met her at PC camp.

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
I started work for Pam in '88 until about '90 ish. Had an accident and wasn't able to have much to do with horses for a few years. Came back in '92 and bought one of her horses - Big guy in my siggy.

Was there until about 2003 when we moved up north. :)

Visit site
We used to go to Strangeways for the indoor jumping.:D

What years were you at Strangeways. I know a woman who was there from Arkley circa 1985/6, Jackie?

In the seventies there was a woman from Strangeways, had a bay pony, forward going, scatty, she had him for years and years. Well after we had all moved onto horses. I met her at PC camp.

Scatty pony sounds like Nugget, Linda Earle's. If a bell rang for a class he was like a bolt of lightning. Sadly Linda died several years ago.

Visit site
Scatty pony sounds like Nugget, Linda Earle's. If a bell rang for a class he was like a bolt of lightning. Sadly Linda died several years ago.

I highly recommend Strangeways. Was there in the 80's and was the best time of my life. Huge yard that has gotten huger. Run more as a tight ship now but to be expected when so many people and horses to keep happy.

Mandy and Pam are lovely.