Art first attempt - honest opinions

LauraBR

Visit site
I'm another who thinks there is room for lots of different types of art, would be very boring if we all liked the same! :D

I think the composition is very nice and especially like the space you have left for him to canter into :)

I am utterly hopeless at doing anything digitally, I sometimes use photoshop to mock up ideas for paintings (trying different background ideas and things) but they are very crude indeed!! In fact, very recently I gave a client a very good laugh with one, I was much teased for it's rubbishness! :D

Keep at it! :)

Cobi

Visit site
I love it!! I think its great and makes me curious as to how you acheive it, is it like drawing on a ipad, bit more complicated tho i can imagine! Yours are great to Em

~

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
okay i have got rid of the outline, fairly haphazardly though so it's no where near perfect.

Better?

chicoanimeartnoedgecopy.jpg

QueenDee_

Visit site
Looks a lot better without the outline,

For a first attempt its bloody good! Personally i'm hopeless with digital art, i'm okay with pencils and paint etc :rolleyes:

Had my first go with my Canon550D today (yey christmas!) and my Thoroughbred filly was very interested in it all :p

millymooooooh.jpg

(hope it doesn't come out mahoosive!)
:D

Paint Me Proud

Visit site

Keimanp

Visit site
I can see the time and effort and appreciate the work that has gone into it but I wouldn't buy it if it was for sale (that said I don't think there is much I would buy!)

Curiously could you have 50% of the background picture as Cartoon-y and then 50% of the horse as well, sort of split vertically down the picture so the horse is either running from reality or to reality from or to the cartoon world :D

azouria

Visit site
Definitely think the most recent one you posted is best. Although looking at what you are trying to do it seems to me as through you might me more interested in photo manipulation (cutting out the original photo and putting it on a different background?)

I used to dabble in it a bit (few years back though now!) and you can do things like this: http://izymoon.deviantart.com/gallery/11371790#/d10emus
I was never very good, but it gives you an idea at least.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Definitely think the most recent one you posted is best. Although looking at what you are trying to do it seems to me as through you might me more interested in photo manipulation (cutting out the original photo and putting it on a different background?)

I used to dabble in it a bit (few years back though now!) and you can do things like this: http://izymoon.deviantart.com/gallery/11371790#/d10emus
I was never very good, but it gives you an idea at least.

thanks, i have done plenty of photo manipulation, i also restore old cracked photos but scanning them in high res and restoring the image digitally.

I also enjoy making the odd fake film poster.....just for fun of course :) (these were done several years ago now)
Quondam.jpg

TheGlasshouseInstitutePostercopy.jpg

Last edited:

becca1305

Visit site
I think its interesting, but also not my cup of tea really. I agree it would look better with a similar style background so it matches rather than looks put on, though must say I can't really critique as Im hopeless at these things! :p

it is art, check the dictionary. Art is anything that is produced by humans to elicit and stimulate emotion and thought :)

However I do personally disagree over it being "art" - there is still no one widely accepted definition of when something is classified as a "work of art" its still being argued over with multiple different theories *sigh*, and don't I just know it as an unfortunate aesthetics philosophy student I would just love it if they would all agree :p! Personally I wouldn't consider it art tbh but Im not a huge fan of moderny computer stuff and also my favourite theory of determining whether something is a piece of art is Dickies theory that something must fulfil its definition as a work, and secondly that it must be selected for appreciation by the art world (defined as people with a professional interest in art e.g. gallery owners selecting the art piece and showing it in their gallery). Thats not to say its not cool and would likely appeal to people with more modern tastes? :), and I certainly wouldn't be able to do it, I just wouldn't recognise it as art per say :eek:

ETA - I like the fake film posters :D

Ooh I like the one without the black lines better too :)

and elena that is a beautiful picture :) envious of both your camera and gorgeous filly :D

Last edited:

NicoleS_007

Visit site
The last one is nice :) How did you make these? Iv only used photoshop before, I tend to be more an old fashion paper, pencil sketcher myself ;)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
The last one is nice :) How did you make these? Iv only used photoshop before, I tend to be more an old fashion paper, pencil sketcher myself ;)

thanks.
It is Photoshop i use.
I get an original photo and create a new layer above the photo to work on.
I then sample each colour of the original photo and using a paintbrush tool i reapply the colour in the top layer to match the image below (no where near as easy at it sounds!)
I add some additional shading and blending, and in parts had to recreate the features myself (he was wearing brushing boots in the original photo).
Once i am happy with the image i have created then i select an appropriate background image and apply it.
Finally a bit of lighting adjustments on the background to make sure the light direction matches the highlights and lowlights on the horse. Then to finish add some shadow of the horse on the background and done :)