Arthritis of the knee

sidsmum

Visit site
My section D has not been quite right for a while - nothing to put a finger on just not as enthusiastic with his work. Then the last week he went lame and so I took him to the vets. They were at first a little stumped as although he was quite obviously lame it just wasn't consistent.

He was crippled after a leg flexion and they did several nerve blocks until they discovered the problem was in the knee. Did scans and x rays and the x rays quite obviously showed the problem.

He has chronic arthritis in his left knee and from that point is retired to hopefully just a light hack - no more jumping or fun rides.

He has been given two injections in his knee - I can't remember what they were I'm sure someone will be able to tell me! He has had two days box rest and was allowed back out yesterday. I have to give him a week off and then trot him up. If he is sound then I can begin riding him gently.

Vet said the maximum time is 3 weeks so if he still isn't sound in 3 weeks then we know that the degradation is too severe for the injections to have any effect.

The vet did also say that he was slightly lame in the heel but he wasn't overly concerned and said that it was most likely due to Dyl favouring his knee.

Here are the x rays - of his good leg and bad. It's quite obvious which is which! Vet also said that the spurs would have built up over a long period of time, and that although he doesn't like to say so due to slight movement/angles it looks a though Dylan is running out of cartilage - just above the top spur where it is fuzzy, which is why he said he really wouldn't like to say if the injections will have any effect - could go either way. You can also see that his good leg is nice and smooth whereas the bad leg, the profile of the bone is lumpy/mountainous.

Any comments on the x-rays?

Good leg
DSC_0204_zps7b0642a6.jpg

Bad leg

DSC_0202_zps09d79759.jpg

DSC_0202_zps09d79759.jpg

DSC_0203_zps2fd0184d.jpg

So I'm not sure what I'm feeling at the moment, I don't think it's really sunk in - I feel like I should be upset but I'm just a bit numb.

But I've had a few days to digest and now I feel I'm ready to begin looking to the future. What if the injections don't work - what prospects are there? He is happy in himself and eating with no problems, still rolling and getting up and down ok, can he be managed on pain relief? Are there any other options? I've had a few things mentioned to me, tumeric, blue lipped mussel (?) accupuncture etc but has anyone any used these methods/supplements? What would you advise, do those x-rays look as bad as I have a sneaky feeling that they do? And if so, what then? What should I expect?

Thank you in advance!

ETA he is 22. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I lost one of my favourite horses to knee arthritis she was quite when it started 9 I think.
It followed her banging her knee on a XC fence she was sound after it but about three weeks later she jumped a fence and landed non weight bearing .
Knee was xrayed and the damage of clear to see .
The knee was injected and she had three years completely sound I gave her a joint supp whether it helped or not I done know , during this she competed got to intermediate eventing and was working PSG on flat SJing to 1.30 and doing some hunting so pretty hard work .
Without warming she was unlevel again the knee was injected again three weeks later she was lame again we called it a day , she did not like turn out and pawed at the gate continuously if left out ( which can't have helped ) I had her PTS .
Now I would have used Tildren for sure as well as the steroid jabs but it before it was available.
Has your vet mentioned Tilden if not ask them about it.
It may not appropriate because of his age.

WindyStacks

Visit site
Mine had arthritis in fetlock, 2 injections, rest and then ridden for one beautiful ride where she was soft and responsive. Lame again. Vet said to try the injections one more time (4 weeks from first set). She never came sound again so I PTS. Tbh I had reconciled the decision before the second set of jags because I think I knew deep down that if one set only had her sound once there wasn't much hope. No regrets.

fatpiggy

Visit site
My girl had advanced knee arthritis (carpitis) too. She was also part Welsh D. I think its the price we pay for the fancy action unfortunately. By the time she was diagnosed it was way too late for the injections. She did REALLY well on Global Herbs Bute-X. Within a week I was able to not only ride her again but have a canter up the field, whereas before she was stumbling so badly I couldn't even walk around on her. Do some looking up on the subject of Bowellia, ginger and turmeric

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
We have a Fell Pony with knee arthritis. He was retired at 18 because it caused him to trip and he went down a time or two on the road. He's 25 now and although not totally sound is happy enough and enjoys his retirement in the field with his friends.

maggiehorse

Visit site
i have a 21yr old idxtb mare with severe arthritis in both knees she has large visible bony lumps and is unable to flex either knee shes been fully retired for 5 years and doing well with no treatment but this year now she is being stabled at night her legs are swelling up dramatically overnight and to make matters worse she has developed severe diamestra which stops her being able to eat hay , i,ve turned her back out on a very grassy cattle field and booked her in to be put to sleep next month , if it was just arthritis i would manage but the two problems are just going to be too much for her

sidsmum

Visit site
I'm sorry maggiehorse.

Thank you for replies, he is on equiflex at the moment and has been for some time - the ingredients seem to match quite well with cortaflex and the likes but I will do another comparison. I think I probably will give tumeric a go - it seems fairly cheap so no harm in trying!

I have looked up Tildren and it sounds quite impressive although I can only find any info on it being used for navicular or in the hocks but I will definitely speak to my vet about it.

He lives out at the moment but I do have a stable available - is it better to bring him in during nights and keep him warm or let him move around in the field do you think? (I'm thinking bringing in but would like my feelings confirmed - or not!)

puss

Visit site
My poor old boy has arthritis just about everywhere I just put him on greenlipped mussel tablets and has shown great improvement he's also on aviform suppleeze gold devils claw and turmeric iv got to the point kill or make best I can for him next option will be pts.

culteuchar

Visit site
I'm sorry maggiehorse.

Thank you for replies, he is on equiflex at the moment and has been for some time - the ingredients seem to match quite well with cortaflex and the likes but I will do another comparison. I think I probably will give tumeric a go - it seems fairly cheap so no harm in trying!

I have looked up Tildren and it sounds quite impressive although I can only find any info on it being used for navicular or in the hocks but I will definitely speak to my vet about it.

He lives out at the moment but I do have a stable available - is it better to bring him in during nights and keep him warm or let him move around in the field do you think? (I'm thinking bringing in but would like my feelings confirmed - or not!)

I have just had my horse done with Tildren massive improvement now only very slightly lame in a tight circle on the left reign. However this drug is expensive and will only be effective in certain cases of arthritis i was lucky the arthritis in my horse was hardly noticeable on the xrays and the vet felt she was the perfect candidate. I am lucky my vet will only advise something if he is sure it has a chance and had advised against Tildren for others where he felt they were too far gone.