As you get older what is the most important thing you have learnt

tristar

Visit site
I came across this quote today
"The rider's knowledge is the horse's ultimate protection" (Jean Luc Cornille)

you could add to that the owner's and carer's knowledge as well.

i was just thinking on those lines today when loose schooling a horse over trotting poles, how it is to train and ride for the horse and its benefit, and if i enjoy it thats a bonus

tristar

Visit site
That a sweet tempered ‘normal’ horse will get an average rider far further in much more safety than a well-bred warmblood.

That you don’t need gadgets or fancy tack or any of the expensive commercial stuff. Spend your time and money on training and the vet where needed.

That it doesn’t matter how long it takes to back a baby horse, never push them and you will get there in the end! I have a 4yo who took many weeks to find the confidence to go solo. The whole world told me if I didn’t force him soon he would be worse. I waited until he was ready. We went sooooo slowly. Now, he is the best behaved of all of mine, I can ride him in a bareback pad and headcollar and he will school beautifully, or take him hacking solo in the wind and rain. We got there by being sympathetic. He would not be the same horse if he had been rushed.

all of that, especially the last para

tristar

Visit site
i have realized too late too old, all the the thoughts and notions of doing things i had when i was young, and did not do, i would have done and more if only i had believed and had more confidence in myself, so to anyone young i`d say listen to yourself and your ambitions, they are put in you for a reason, go for it, you will not regret it, mind you now i`m ancient i don`t intend to let anything hold me back, the prospect of running out of road focuses the mind

i do believe that the individual can change the world, or their world, it just takes so much courage to stand there alone when all around you are calling you wrong

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
that i should have been more body confident when i was young. i was always a bit shy i only felt confident in my riding stuff and hated getting dressed up to go to parties etc. in hindsight i dont know what i was worried about .. also to anyone on here who is young, take advantage of any opportunities and be brave....the saying "you are only young once " is so true....

PurBee

Visit site
Never buy hay based on the ‘show bale’ you’re shown, poke around in the whole shed full!
Better to drive home for hours empty-handed than spend an entire winter throwing away & steaming/soaking hay and hauling heavy nets around in the freezing cold!