Asbos, clever pony and a little looking forward and back...

GinaGeo

Visit site
So pony’s most recent acts of Juvenile delinquency in the field (rug breaking, ploughing attempts and downright stupidity) have resulted in me fearing for his safety :redface3: . I never wanted to be that horse owner who feared turning their delinquent out. But alas, he has broken me and in he shall remain, with regular hand grazing, walks and hacks, until I pick up the courage to turn him out again (with my hands firmly over my eyes) or until this mud clears up and the ground is more suitable to defy his attempts at self-harming…

Following the heat rash he managed to give himself last week (whilst careering about the field – judging by the state of him, his rug and the field) he had a quiet few days of in hand walking/hacking as I didn't want to sweat him up.

WP_20140221_008_zps5518443d.jpg

I'll admit that I was a little concerned about the fact that I'd booked into two Novice tests - a level up from where he normally competes at - and hadn't been able to practise apart from a quick run through the night before, which involved mainly calming the pony down. Being back in work was a terribly exciting prospect!

After a few plaiting issues, he has a terribly thick, bushy mane which he won’t let me pull, so I stupidly thought I’d try the tail rake on it. Word of advice don’t do it! It doesn’t plait at all. :eek3: Cue a slight panic and I took the trimmers to the underside of said mane and removed the uselessly short spikes left by the rake. I’ll have to do it every time I want to plait now, but it did do the job without me being pinned against a wall and keeping me there until I promise to stop. So pony is not a bad pony and I wouldn’t tolerate bad behaviour from him, but having your mane pulled out by the roots can’t be the most pleasant experience, so we’ll find alternatives instead!

The warm up was going well, he was onside, listening and in front of me. We did lots of on and back to keep him on the aids and listening.

1743643_751914258154378_2007597592_n_zpscce61b20.jpg

1911681_751914368154367_1335692312_n_zpsa35cfccf.jpg

1620630_10203429088307135_25075760_n_zpsa0d1e142.jpg

Until somebody decided to lunge - now the school is big enough and he is used to being ridden whilst something else is being lunged, but according to bay pony logic it was terrifying prospect (and secretly he wasn’t too sure whether it was a horse or a cow, and he’s never seen a cow being lunged before) and this happened…

1908250_751909261488211_1366657121_n_zps66233248.jpg

Apparently, doing an elevated welsh trot, with ones tail over ones back, eyes bulging and much snorting was warranted. Of course this was also the moment my time was called so we bounced off up to the indoor. The bouncing continued once we were in the ring and I would like to apologise to whomever was doing their test in the other ring; bay pony decided that squealing and bunny hopping across the school was a suitable reaction and I couldn’t help but laugh at him. :biggrin3:

1958299_751909248154879_285050404_n_zpsa8360f97.jpg

Luckily, he came back on side quickly and settled back into his work before we had to enter at A.:rolleyes3:

The first test was Novice 24, which I hadn’t found very flowing in the practise the night before, but what can I say, he was brilliant. 100% on side throughout and even the Medium trots were there, a little unbalanced perhaps, but they were there. I’ve had them in training for a little while but wasn’t quite sure how he’d cope without them being set up and prepared miles in advance. He even got an eight for a canter transition, which is something he’s been struggling with. :biggrin3:

1959688_751909354821535_594763315_n_zpse286ee88.jpg

1796590_751910634821407_779543206_n_zpsd5cb5728.jpg

The second test started off less flamboyantly, without any squealing or bunny hopping at least! But he was still onside, albeit taking a slightly stronger contact than I’d have liked. Novice 34, is the test we rode a couple of weeks ago in training and I was keen to improve on it, I knew I had to contain the canter and really keep his attention ready for the trot-canter transitions after the medium canters. As well as keeping the walk more relaxed and flowing – sometimes he tries to anticipate a little from it. He did stumble in the free walk, forgot to pick up a hind toe, which resulted in a jog and losing the balance a little so rather ruined that movement, but other than that I was pleased. I could feel that he was a little more tired in this test and he found it harder to get everything back together again after the medium trot’s. But he does try so hard.

1898117_10203429069626668_1003912758_n_zpsd34e0247.jpg

1620522_10203429026665594_979284914_n_zps749911e1.jpg

We got 70.7% in the first test and 67.4% in the second which I was very pleased with – still scope for improvement. The medium’s need tidying up, the rein back needs installing, and the canter work still needs to be more consistent. But sometimes I do make sure I take a look back at pictures from last year, just so I can see the improvements. :smile3:

This was from one of his BD outings at Prelim last March.

399387_577480102264462_1103994550_n_zps1b532de4.jpg

306292_577481325597673_1850746468_n_zpsa6f8e215.jpg

My aim for this season is to qualify him for the Novice Regionals and actually go! Now it’s a long way to go for one test but don’t they normally have Freestyle tests too? If we get there, I think I’d like to have a play, just for a bit of fun… He doesn’t really suit the usual music people seem to choose for Freestyle tests, he’s not dramatic or particularly impressive but he is a dude of a pony with a serious character and I think he’d prefer something a bit more up to date. Is it a very big faux par to use some more modern music (tasteful) with vocals on? :cool3: I’m presently thinking Muse or Bastille if I can get it to fit… Or possibly Harry Potter themes for a slightly more traditional choice. We’ll have fun playing with music I think!

He was also very tired after his dressage... Didn't move for over an hour!

WP_20140222_002_zpsfa10ac70.jpg

He's entered for two Novice tests and BD next weekend so we'll see how that goes.

Well done for getting to the end - I went shopping yesterday so can offer chocolate on a first come first served basis... Although you'd better be quick or I'll eat it all :wink3:

nervous nelly

Visit site
im not a dressage person by any stretch of the imagination but he looks brill in your photos and a lovely person in general well done on the fab results

GinaGeo

Visit site
I claim the chocolate! Looks super in the photos, well done and great scores :D

You got it and there is still some left - I've managed to contain myself so far :wink3: Thank You - it's lovely to get the pictures and I'm very grateful to my lovely mother for taking them for me!

im not a dressage person by any stretch of the imagination but he looks brill in your photos and a lovely person in general well done on the fab results

Thank You - I never used to be a Dressage person - I used to be the one necking rescue remedy behind the trailer whilst reminding myself to breathe! And I certainly couldn't have kept it together following bouncing squealing pony. But he is such a cool dude and such a trier that I've learnt to enjoy it... When you have the right horse it suddenly gets quite addictive :wink3:

GinaGeo

Visit site
He's Lovely (capital L)! Well done, those are some great scores :)

Thank You - I know I'm quite biased but I think so too :biggrin3: I'm very thankful we snapped him up as a three year old before anyone else had a chance to see him - he's not the sort that will ever get sold! And thank you - I used to dream of getting 60% in a test so to get 70% is a little mind blowing. I just hope I can do him justice!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Those scores should have given you a couple of points towards qualifying? Where did you get him (I want one!)?

It wasn't BD this weekend unfortunately :frown3: But still respected judges. Our BD campaign is going to start this coming weekend!

We bought him from a local stud. She's only a hobby breeder, and has a few horses but she breeds some lovely useful types - all bred firstly for temperament. We stay in touch with her as well. He has a full sister that she was looking for a home for last time we saw her. Not sure she still has her though. I could find out for you? :smile3:

GinaGeo

Visit site
What a gorgeous boy he is!
He looks lovely, good luck for your transition to BD
Thank you! I've been a member of BD for a year - Just lost interest in competing after I qualified for the Prelim Regionals in April and didn't go out again. Nor did we go to Regionals as it was such a long way for one test! This season I hope we actually go!

Great report and pictures - and well done on the scores as well!
Thank You - I find writing the reports really useful to consolidate the day and I'm pleased that people like to read it! I'm still a little in shock about the scores - I suppose this weekend will show us how we're really doing though!

CambridgeParamour

Visit site
Oh he's lovely! Well done :D those scores are fab, especially if hes used to doing prelims!

Re your freestyle question- my big horse has Olly Murs music, although I only have lyrics at the very beginning until the first halt. We were 3rd with it at the regionals last weekend, and one of the judges even wrote "fantastic music, very fun and upbeat" :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
What a gorgeous pony and well done!

Thank You. Nobody ever told him he's small. So we keep it quiet :wink3:

Oh he's lovely! Well done :D those scores are fab, especially if hes used to doing prelims!

Re your freestyle question- my big horse has Olly Murs music, although I only have lyrics at the very beginning until the first halt. We were 3rd with it at the regionals last weekend, and one of the judges even wrote "fantastic music, very fun and upbeat" :)

I was so pleased - he did one novice last year and it was a big ask for him, but he's feeling so much stronger this year :smile3:

Thank You! That's good to hear regarding the music! I'll have to see if I can find acoustic versions - I'm sure it's possible... I'd just like to do something a little different - he way too cool for classical music!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Lovely report, your pony is beautiful! The bouncy pic inside made me chuckle, he looks to be enjoying himself :D.
Good luck for the move to BD and your regional campaign, we're aiming for the Novice regional's as well and just need to score the rest of our points (we only have 9 but all from SQ classes, so I think we just need to gain the rest but they don't have to be from Q classes?).

Looking forward to some more reports now!

x x

CambridgeParamour

Visit site
Thank You. Nobody ever told him he's small. So we keep it quiet :wink3:

I was so pleased - he did one novice last year and it was a big ask for him, but he's feeling so much stronger this year :smile3:

Thank You! That's good to hear regarding the music! I'll have to see if I can find acoustic versions - I'm sure it's possible... I'd just like to do something a little different - he way too cool for classical music!

Absolutely :) I went on itunes and looked for 'karaoke' versions. For my smaller but bigger moving horse im just putting together music for, i looked on itunes for the royal philharmonic orchestra, and now have several rock songs to play about with :) They're fab

GinaGeo

Visit site
Lovely report, your pony is beautiful! The bouncy pic inside made me chuckle, he looks to be enjoying himself :D.
Good luck for the move to BD and your regional campaign, we're aiming for the Novice regional's as well and just need to score the rest of our points (we only have 9 but all from SQ classes, so I think we just need to gain the rest but they don't have to be from Q classes?).

Looking forward to some more reports now!

x x

He certainly does enjoy himself. And yes - so many points have to come from qualifier classes - I think you're right with nine.

Hopefully there will be more reports to follow - I love writing them!

Absolutely :) I went on itunes and looked for 'karaoke' versions. For my smaller but bigger moving horse im just putting together music for, i looked on itunes for the royal philharmonic orchestra, and now have several rock songs to play about with :) They're fab

Thank You! I shall get onto that - sounds just the ticket!

He looks like a cheeky so and so - I really like him :) Well done on the scores.

He is - enough character for two other horses :wink3: and Thank You - he's so much fun!