Assisted livery

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If your yard turned out for you in the morning as part of the deal, how much would you expect to be included regarding changing rugs, stable bandages, turnout boots and giving feeds etc? If a yard said they would give a net/turnout as part of the package is it acceptable to charge a little extra for rugs/boots changed?

Littlebear

Visit site
I was previously on assisted livery and those things were included as part of the package of turnout and bring in.

The yard i am at now is diy with optional services and all those items are itemised so if you ask for turnout its £2.50 then rug change is .50p and boots 50p etc.

I think if the first yard had charged extra for those bits i would have understood as its hugely time consuming for the grooms in addition to what you are paying for.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I would expect to pay more money for more services unless it was part livery where all rug changes, boots, leg washing etc was included. To do all these things take time and for a busy YO time is money and I wouldn’t expect them to do it for nothing.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My yard feeds, does rug changes, turns out, brings in and hays as part of the deal.
TBH I think he would put boots on (but I would expect a big eye-roll if I asked ;) ) but I'd def expect to pay extra if there were bandages to come off etc as well. I think it sort of depends on what is already promised and how much extra is being asked.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I have been on a yard where morning feed and either hay put in or turnout was their standard package. Changing rugs and putting on fly spray was included but I think anything else would have incurred a charge. Mind I was very briefly on full livery on a yard that charged extra for adding vet prescibed meds to feed and also for moving electric fencing when they wanted it moved, it was a very short stay there!

ihatework

Visit site
If your yard turned out for you in the morning as part of the deal, how much would you expect to be included regarding changing rugs, stable bandages, turnout boots and giving feeds etc? If a yard said they would give a net/turnout as part of the package is it acceptable to charge a little extra for rugs/boots changed?

Perfectly acceptable. It’s time consuming & faffy and in the case of boots/bandages usually not needed!!

That said it should be made clear up front.

SpringArising

Visit site
I'm on assisted and pay for turnout and bring in. Rug changes, boots on/off and leg wash is included in the price, but there's a summer charge and a winter charge - summer being obviously cheaper as less faffing around. I'm not charged to have hay put in.

Nasicus

Visit site
Assisted DIY, I'd expect to pay for each optional service individually, or an agreed bundle price for all required services.
Part Livery (assuming the 5 day full livery 2 days DIY model of part livery, I know this varies) I'd expect that to be included on the days/ends of the day where the yard is responsible for the horses care, and to be charged for it on days/ends of the day when the horse is on the DIY part.

BOWS28

Visit site
I pay £3 (!!!) for the yard to bring in. This "includes" rug change, boots taken off and feet picking out. And they wonder why i have a good old moan when feet aren't picked out... My field is 30 seconds away and girls are so good to come in...

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks. I was wondering about an extra £5 a week (£1/day) for anything above 1 rug change or 1 feed out in before turnout. I want to be fair, it’s just if there are several things to be done before turning out it could add quite a bit of extra time to our day (we work too..). Does that sound reasonable?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
(ps, we’re already doing it very cheaply as our main reason is because previous liveries mostly seemed to leave their horses standing with no food or water all morning and doors were getting kicked and stables chewed out of boredom. So we thought if we fed it would be better!)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Used to pay a standard rate of £3 per turn out or bring in to include rug changes and boots as required. It was the same price regardless of how much or little was required. The time getting to and from the fields took the most time. They charged a slightly cheaper flat rate for 5 days a week turn out and or bring in. I think it’s useful to charge a bit less for regular and or booked in advance and a premium for late or ad-hoc. It helps prevent liveries from taking the proverbial and ringing up at the last minute because they can’t be arsed to get out of bed.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Assisted at my yard includes giving made up feed, rug change, fly spray mask/muzzle on if needed and turnout. Obviously reverse if choose to have other end of day done. One end is included in the package and charges £3 if want the other end. Which is very good value I think.

sport horse

Visit site
I would be very careful to charge enough. Bandages? Do you have to roll them up too? Boots? Are they velcro fastening or hundreds of awkward buckles covered in mud? Bitter experience has taught me that those who actually use boots etc buy velcro and those who are going to pay £1 to have them put on will choose buckles and sheepskin etc. Same with bandages .

In the good old days when I had liveries I had one who required it got ready for a show. When the boots,extra long badnages, tail bandage and guard, Knee and hock boots, poll guard and rugs with awful fastenings arrived I actually dressed the horse myself. I was pretty quick in those days and with the horse tied up and ready, all the gear to hand and ready it took me 20 minutes to put it all onto the horse. Amazingly when I said I could no longer provide this service and commensurate adjustment to the livery rate was made, the horse suddenly had a nice set of velcro fastening travel boots!!!

chocolategirl

Visit site
IMO, anything that takes up someone’s time, should be subject to a charge, however small ?‍♀️ this is just my take on it of course?