Aston Le Walls BE90 Competition Report

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
“ Control the Controllables”

Unfortunately Amber was not one of the controllables today!

But let’s start at the beginning: This was my first BE90. So I was nervous but after an awesome Fab Feb full of some really challenging clinics I actually felt ready. There was no reason why any of it should be a disaster. We have worked very hard on our flat work, she has been so much more rideable show jumping and she’s been doing plenty of big and technical XC lines. We were good to go.

It started fairly promisingly with a calm dressage warm up. She was actually listening, relaxed and engaged. That’s a first! And the first half of the test felt really nice. She felt calm and relaxed. Then in the 2nd canter something spooked her. And after that she was just a little bit tense so we had a break in the canter, a late transition to trot, a jog in the walk, a poor final centre line. All of which will have been very expensive. No test sheet but I am hoping that it was basically very good (for us) and then very bad! Leaving us on a disappointing 40 overall. But my dressage instructor has told me not to worry about scores at the moment– we are looking at direction of travel and a very good then very bad set of marks is far better than a blah set all the way through. I know we are not yet consistent but it’s looking promising…..

52668770_2183772245036178_2697339830978740224_n.jpg

So now for the fun bit. SJ & XC on a calm, relaxed & listening Amber– no worries. This will be a breeze......

Ha bloody ha. o_Oo_O

Somehow between the dressage ending and me heading to the SJ warm-up Amber morphed into Crazy-Orange-Beastie mode. I went down to the SJ warm up in a snaffle as I have been riding both SJ and XC in a snaffle all winter. But as soon as we hit the arena she was absolutely bonkers. And I had no idea what to do about it. I was in theory focusing on getting her into a nice rhythmical balanced canter. "Show jumping is just dressage with obstacles" and all that. But she had other ideas and every canter just turned into her bogging off with me. So I tried to canter-halt-canter-halt to get her listening. But that didn’t help much. So I tried to pop a X Pole which she ballooned. So I went back to the lorry to put her in a gag bit. Which meant I could stop her better but as soon as I released the brakes she tanked off again. Jumped the X pole a few more times but she never settled so put her at bigger fences but she ballooned all them too. So I just crossed my fingers, rode in and flattened the course! It was a total car crash. By far the worst round we have ever jumped in training or competition. Plus she was jumping so extravagantly that my saddle slipped on landing from fence 3 and I was almost off and had to do the rest of the course sideways. Not our finest moment. 16 faults and 12 time pens from circling to try and settle her. And get my stirrups back. Thanks for that Amber!!!

53020176_2183772278369508_4366835357426122752_n.jpg

Really not sure why that happened to be honest. But looking at the video (and no I am not brave enough to post my humiliating car crash of a round anywhere….) I think I was too afraid of her galloping on that I did not have my leg on at all. The round went a bit like: jump – land – bog off, come back to trot, oh no there’s another jump, kick on, flatten it, land, bog off, come back to trot, repeat. It was embarrassingly awful. I wonder if I had kept my leg on and ridden forward she might have eventually settled into a canter rhythm. But she just was not rideable. Not by me anyway. Back to the drawing board!

I went straight down to XC after SJ and she was jogging and excitable. But once we had set off on the XC she felt great. She seemed to be saying FINALLY I get to gallop and jump. Why can’t I do this ALL the time?! It was my first BE90 so there were a few newish questions for me to tackle – related distances to skinnies, a jump into space on the brow of a hill. Nothing too terrifying. But she did have a stop at the water which about the only thing she is a little wary of. On the approach there was a fairly sizeable hanging log which looked like it went straight into the water so she decided she needed a look at that. But she popped it 2nd time and flew everything else.

And I did not go wrong! In any phase!! HURRAH :D:D Now that is a triumph in itself. :cool:

So yet another cricket score. But in the words of Matthew Syed the key to success is a progressive attitude to failure. Failure is our greatest teacher – providing the information you need to improve, as long as you embrace it as an opportunity.

Well my fledgling BE career is giving me a LOT of failure practice…… which is good, right?!

53639367_2183772341702835_5735690440238170112_n.jpg

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Will trade you some SJ zen rhythm, for some of your orange's scope!

You know, I don't think that's lots of "failure" at all. I think that's lots of big, bouncing positives. A good, positive xc run - I'd be delighted with that (even with a blip at the water), especially having stepped up a level at the start of the season. A largely good dressage test, with some tension creeping in at the end - it's early in the season, she's clearly fit and jolly, and at this time of year, some tension's not entirely unexpected. The SJ needs some work, but 12 jumping faults isn't that bad - you could do a lot worse!

You completed, you brought your horse home safe - that's my idea of a good day. The rest is just giving you something to build on ;)

eta - of course, maybe I just have low standards :p

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm with JFTD, I think it's a really good start in reality, even if less so on paper :)

Massive well done, it's no small feat to step up a level for your first run of the year. And it sounds like you're already able to analyse the possible ways you could have done things differently in the SJ straight away instead of just feeling disappointed. it's true, when you can look at things objectively then you're in a much stronger position, I guess the holy grail is to be able to be objective *in the moment* to try and take action while it might still make a difference, but sometimes it feels like everything happens way too fast and you're just a passenger in your own life!

I just know you'll crack it this year, you are doing so well together :)

Alibear

Visit site
Well done for both the competition and the report. The opposite of success is learning and you did some useful learning and some success yesterday so best of both worlds. It sounds like the atmosphere just got to her a bit yesterday and the way to solve that is to keep going. Onwards and upwards quite literally for you two :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Woohoo, so exciting. Massive massive kudos for not getting lost once (being directionally challenged myself I know how difficult it can be), and for stepping up to 90 first outing of the year 😁
The xc sounds really positive and the showjumping, well, sometimes gingers just gotta have fun (maybe she's trying to tell you she's a 3 day event horse 😜).

Exciting season ahead!

Chippers1

Visit site
Well done! Echoing others, a lot of positives and 12 faults isn't terrible...there's what, 10 jumps? and you knocked 3 of them, you could've done much worse!
First big party of the year, she may settle well for the next one :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ah you're all very kind!! I am delighted overall. BE90 is a dream come true for me. And the best bit is that the XC really did feel pretty easy. Never thought I'd say that! The SJ is not much different from 80s as the track stays the same. And the dressage is the same for 80 & 90 so the real difference is in the XC. So I don't feel the need to drop back to 80T. And I have not fallen foul of the new 'you should not be at this level' rule either.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I guess the holy grail is to be able to be objective *in the moment* to try and take action while it might still make a difference, but sometimes it feels like everything happens way too fast and you're just a passenger in your own life!

Exactly this! I just clung on and steered. I am getting better at setting her up well for fences, looking ahead, maintaining a rhythm etc. So if she listens to me we can do ok. But being able to ride my way out of trouble on a horse who is bouncing off the walls is a level of skill I just don't have yet. Others could do it on her, but I am only as good as I am and she was just too much for me yesterday.

ihatework

Visit site
Well it sounds like she enjoyed being out! She is a blood mare and scopy too so I imagine does take a bit of riding.

As an older teenager I had a very buzzy little jumping horse who I struggled quite a lot with. I wasn’t much of a jockey and had very little instruction/help so would very much get into the cycle of hang onto the front end for grim death and then just fire/get carted with.

My breakthrough was someone taking pity on me and giving up a load of time to help me - and her saying was for every lb of pressure on their mouth you need double with the leg. It feels so counter intuitive to start with but it does work.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
It sounds like the atmosphere just got to her a bit yesterday and the way to solve that is to keep going. Onwards and upwards quite literally for you two :)

Thanks Ali! Stafford next in 2 weeks so not long to wait for another crack at it. x

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
As an older teenager I had a very buzzy little jumping horse who I struggled quite a lot with. I wasn’t much of a jockey and had very little instruction/help so would very much get into the cycle of hang onto the front end for grim death and then just fire/get carted with.

That sounds about right!

My breakthrough was someone taking pity on me and giving up a load of time to help me - and her saying was for every lb of pressure on their mouth you need double with the leg. It feels so counter intuitive to start with but it does work.

I do remember now my RI telling me I need MORE leg when she's flattening and running on. Something along the lines of control with your hands but re-engage the engine with the legs. So that makes sense. Thanks x

Fiona

Visit site
Firstly well done on your first 90, and keep thinking of all those lovely firsts and positives from your day...

Secondly, I hope you have some SJ competitions planned before your next BE adventure, so you can practice keeping her going on even if A is being a twit....

Fingers crossed it was just 'first event of the season' excitement, and she will be back to normal next time, but in case she isn't you need some tools in the box to be able to sort it quickly in the ring.....

Fiona

Michen

Visit site
Basil, my last Connemara stopped at that log too! It was the only XC jump he ever stopped at. Must be cursed :)

Well done on completing, hopefully next time out she will be more settled and rideable. I found last season my dressage got worse with every event because Boggle got to know what was coming, but hey ho!

Asha

Visit site
Well done for completing your first 90, JFTD is absolutely spot on, focus on the positives which there are loads. You completed your dressage test, and didn't go wrong, she jumped all the SJ, and you flew XC. Sounds like a good result to me.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Mate, I got chucked off in the SJ of my first (and only) attempt at a BE90 and had to retire! SO, in my eyes, you're a champion. How you stayed on in that photo in the SJ I don't know!
As others have said, I think there are a lot more successes in your story than you're giving yourself credit for. So long as you can see the positives, it's all worth it :)

TPO

Visit site
Congratulations, lots of positives to take away from the day :)

I really enjoy your reports and style of writing so I'm looking forward to "following" you through the rest of the season

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Congratulations, lots of positives to take away from the day :)

I really enjoy your reports and style of writing so I'm looking forward to "following" you through the rest of the season

Thanks! I really like having a record of all the events. It is useful to be able to look back.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I just noticed your blog too so was reading that during lunch. I aim to copy you and make it to a Guy Roberts clinic one day too!

I highly recommend him. I much preferred his clinic to the Buck Brannaman one. And this year I am going to a Mark Rashid one. Can't wait!

TPO

Visit site
I highly recommend him. I much preferred his clinic to the Buck Brannaman one. And this year I am going to a Mark Rashid one. Can't wait!

I got excited when I saw Mark Rashid was back over but he's not doing any horse clinics in Scotland. He's holding an equiado(sp?) course only

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Yes that's the one I am doing. I want to improve my feel and my connection with Amber. ANd quieten my over-busy mind!!

Reactions: TPO