At what point do you accept your horse/pony is just too old to do what you want it to do?

Fieldlife

Visit site
Yes but they aren't going to implement drug testing are they? So it doesn't really matter whether it is technically in the rules or not at a small unaff competition.

I do know of someone who was caught using bute at local dressage and banned. I assume it was BD. Was only low level.

Birker2020

Visit site
Depends on your conscience I suppose.
If the horse has had everything thrown at it, it is now sound as a result but a bit of bute will ward of any stiffness then I don't see a problem. I was told to just crack on with my horse, half a sachet of bute a day, go out and have fun. Either that or retire and the horse to fall apart as some seem to do when no longer in consistent work. I only ever did unaffilated at local level, 2ft 6/9 and a bit of dressage and fun rides.

Work was the glue that held my previous horse together and it appears to have been the glue that held my present horse together too as he fell apart when not worked.

Half a sachet of bute a day will not prevent a 700kg horse exhibiting lameness if it really is lame, it certainly won't mask lameness.

Fieldlife

Visit site
If the horse has had everything thrown at it, it is now sound as a result but a bit of bute will ward of any stiffness then I don't see a problem. I was told to just crack on with my horse, half a sachet of bute a day, go out and have fun. Either that or retire and the horse to fall apart as some seem to do when no longer in consistent work. I only ever did unaffilated at local level, 2ft 6/9 and a bit of dressage and fun rides.

Work was the glue that held my previous horse together and it appears to have been the glue that held my present horse together too as he fell apart when not worked.

It is the glue for many older horses.

eahotson

Visit site

Half a sachet of bute a day will not prevent a 700kg horse exhibiting lameness if it really is lame, it certainly won't mask lameness.
I have nothing against a bit of Bute to help a mildly arthritic horse to continue with some gentle work but not sure I would want to compete.

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
WOW - sorry I've been busy all day and only just got back online to see so many replies.

Thank you EVERYONE for your thoughts and replies. Definite difference's of opinions but they with so many people answering that's bound sure to be the way!

A few people have mentioned testing for Cushings - and I am most thankful for these comments, and exactly why I put a post up, to see if there's anything I've missed. And being completely truthful I'd not even thought of testing for cushings, so this is now on my list of a possible thing to do.

The trial of Danilon was prescribed by my vet just to see if it made any difference? As I say, I've not seen stiffness nor lameness, when not on Danilon, so it was difficult to say if it made any difference at all. No difference now when off the Danilon so perhaps it wasn't helping? That's why the vet suggested Catrophen, and I'm very happy after reading this and other peoples experiences to try this too.

An appointment for a new assessment has been made for Wednesday this week, with Cushings first being tested for. And if that's negative and the vet still thinks Catrophen might be beneficial then the course of that will commence. If that makes no improvement then we will have to think again, and possibly now is the time for semi retirement.

I don't believe retirement if beneficial to this pony at this stage, despite being 24 years of age, my chiropractor says more like a 12 year old pony in body! Anyway if retirement of semi retirement is being considered we'd have to rule out Cushings as with reduced workload and maybe different grass levels and a greedy pony, this could result in more problems laminitis, EMS or other metabolic issues.

Mosh

Visit site
My mare is 28 and has cushings.

We still do everything but at a lower level (jumping is 40cm on a good surface/ground) and we hack for miles still but as fast she wants (plod on the roads, fast as we can on grass!)

I'm just more careful of the weather and ground now (heat like this she isn't really worked, maybe light lunging or hacking in the fields across the road for half an hour)

She is still the spookiest horse I've ever sat on (always has been!) And makes her own entertainment if not kept busy. She still has a job and has recently given my friend her confidence back and taught her the basics of jumping.

She still lies down, rolls, throws shapes, drags me to the field all without bute. I'm not adverse to giving her a bute a day if needed to keep her happy and enjoying life but anymore than that I would retire and I will not keep her on 3/4 bute a day to keep her field sound.

I work closely with the saddler, farrier, physio, vet to ensure she has a good quality of life and is fit to carry on working.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the first sign that mare mare had cushings was slowing down when she was 20, after having prascend she was back to being very forward going and back to being loopy!!! i retired her at 25 as she wasnt quite sound enough to ride but ok in the field, she had six months and then we couldnt control the cushings levels so she was PTS. i didnt bute her as i wanted to know exactly how sound she was so i could make the decision without any lameness being disguised.. i would get yours tested before buting in case the unwillingness to go forward is the beginning of laminitis

Mosh

Visit site
Mosh - thank you is yours medicated for the Cushings?

Hi, yes she is. 1.5 tablets a day. I also have a rule that if she ever requires 3 or more prascend a day I will also call it quits. Partly affordability and partly because it isn't ever going to get better and I have to draw the line somewhere. At 28 she owes me nothing. 20220419_175820_copy_391x275_1.jpg

The medication has made a world of difference to her. She's bonkers in the best way. There will always be a laminitis risk and i watch her like a hawk but i can rest slightly easier knowing the medication is working..We've been on the journey a year and it's been a real eye opener.

The picture was her a few weeks ago. Possibly lost a tiny bit of muscle since then as I've been poorly but a few weeks hacking and she'll pick it back up

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's definitely worth testing, I first tested F when he was 19, then 3 more times over the years. Last year at 28 he was positive and is now on one tablet a day and levels normal.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Hi, yes she is. 1.5 tablets a day. I also have a rule that if she ever requires 3 or more prascend a day I will also call it quits. Partly affordability and partly because it isn't ever going to get better and I have to draw the line somewhere. At 28 she owes me nothing. View attachment 95737

The medication has made a world of difference to her. She's bonkers in the best way. There will always be a laminitis risk and i watch her like a hawk but i can rest slightly easier knowing the medication is working..We've been on the journey a year and it's been a real eye opener.

The picture was her a few weeks ago. Possibly lost a tiny bit of muscle since then as I've been poorly but a few weeks hacking and she'll pick it back up
Mine had been on 4 prascend a day and when she was tested the levels were still going up, my vet spoke to the experts at liphook and they said there was no point increasing to 5 if levels were going up with 4. It was crippling me mentally and financially but while her quality of life was ok I was prepared to carry on. She became a bit pottery in Sept and although there were no pulses, vet thought it was the beginning of laminitis, so I got the deed arranged and gave her bite for her last weekend so she was more comfortable. It was still a hard decision but I know it was right and maybe I should have done it a week earlier in hindsight..