At what point is enough enough?

atropa

Visit site
I'm really struggling here at the minute and possibly not thinking clearly.

I've owned my horse for 19 months tomorrow. I bought her to do lesson, hacking, RC type stuff and low level eventing. When I first got her we had 8 great months of fun together.
11 months ago, she colicked and required 4 days in horsepital. When she came home, she went lame. She was diagnosed with laminitis due to the colic. She was boxrested for 4 months and has been since managed as laminitic-prone. In the middle of the box rest, she stress colicked in her stable. She came back into work eventually, and went lame again in September. It took several vets 6 months to work out that she has navicular and a strained suspensory. This diagnosis was less than 2 weeks ago. Today, she is colicking again and I'm sitting waiting for the vet to come out.

I'm sitting here waiting for the vet and considering asking for her just to be PTS instead of treated, feeling awful about feeling this way. She's 15 tomorrow, and I love her to death, but I get absolutely no joy anymore from horses after what we've been through. I feel sick with stress over her almost constantly.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm so sorry. You have both been through so much. Some horses seem to just be fundamentally unwell and go through life stumbling from one crisis to the next.

I, for one, would not blame you one tiny bit if you decided that you've both been through enough. You've nursed her through so much that you honestly would have nothing to feel guilty about.

Thinking of you. x

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
I'm so sorry. You have both been through so much. Some horses seem to just be fundamentally unwell and go through life stumbling from one crisis to the next.

I, for one, would not blame you one tiny bit if you decided that you've both been through enough. You've nursed her through so much that you honestly would have nothing to feel guilty about.

Thinking of you. x

I agree completely. I don't think there is much else to say.

Hugs x

Laika

Visit site
Sounds really sad :( I'm so sorry to hear you've been through all that.

It sounds like you've not only come to this conclusion because of your horses health, but your own too. I think you're being very sensible and level headed, which must be unbelievably hard right now.

Biggest hug going your way right now :(

Antw23uk

Visit site
Horses have been pts for a lot less. No one would blame you for thinking this way or acting on it when the vet arrives. Good luck with what you decide.

xelliex123x

Visit site
Hmm, I actually disagree with everybody else. I understand you've been through a lot as well as your horse, but if (hypothetically obviously) this was your child would you be considering that? When it seems the hardest and you feel like giving up is usually when things take a turn and start to get better. If you can get through this you can get through anything! Just another point of view, but ultimately it is your decision and neither is easy in this situation. Best of luck xx

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Please don't think I wouldn't support you making the best decision for both of you, but to save you future avoidable hassle, is this something which you need to discuss with your vet and insurance company?

You've obviously both been through a long and difficult time so I think you are absolutely right to be asking. You know your horse better than any of us and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I do absolutely think there is a time to draw the line and if you are sure that is now, that's fine. But you don't want to be left with regrets so be sure. Take care. It's horrible when it's like this.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

Thinking of you. x

I agree with this.

You will obviously discuss this with your vet, but IME they will agree with what the owner thinks in such a case. TBH I don't think the insurance would pay out for value or the PTS cost without the horse being a lot sicker than I would be prepared to let her get, so I would only contact them to tell them to cancel the policy.

Hugs whatever you decide.

Luci07

Visit site
I think until you have been with a horse which constantly recovers, then is injured again, it is hard to understand the overwhelming stress and unhappiness you have to deal with. The constant "will x be OK today or will something else have happened"

This is your horse, your stress and your worry. Do talk to your vet but no one can criticise you for making this decision.

scats

Visit site
The hooligan had me like this. I can't even tell you how many vets visits we had in our first 3 years but it amounted to well over £15k altogether.
I reached a point where I decided that if he colicked again (grass allergy causes this), I would call it a day. Fortunately it has not happened yet (touches wood), but I still stand by my decision, given all his other problems.

Bets wishes whatever you decide x

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm in the enough is enough camp. I've been there, and it is so draining.

The lovely late maxi cob repeatedly colicked on grass, but couldn't be kept on a small bare turnout area because he had worsening arthritis, and also had been rehabbed for PSD.

His final colic wasn't even that severe, but after 3 years of fighting rear guard actions against his multiple issues, I had had enough. He was only 8.

Hugs.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hmm, I actually disagree with everybody else. I understand you've been through a lot as well as your horse, but if (hypothetically obviously) this was your child would you be considering that? When it seems the hardest and you feel like giving up is usually when things take a turn and start to get better. If you can get through this you can get through anything! Just another point of view, but ultimately it is your decision and neither is easy in this situation. Best of luck xx

A horse is NOT A CHILD. I think this is an incredibly insensitive and devastatingly destructive post, both to the OP and to anyone else who has ever had to make a choice to end a horse's life :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
OP, I understand your situation completely. Is your mare colicking because she is on box rest? If so, is it possible to have her in a very small paddock instead of the stable? This often helps with horses that colic either due to the stress of box rest or due to the lack of mevement. I know that is not what vets prescribe, but a small paddock in the field (about the size of three stables is very successful for many horses. If box rest in a stable is the only option then I think it might be kinder for your mare to have her PTS. I am so sorry. I would PTS any horse that coulld not cope with box rest if there was no other alternative. There is one other alternative and that is to just turn away for 6 months and see what you have at the end of it. Is you horse insured? If so, you may not get payment for her insured value unless you ensure the vet will say that the euthanasia was done purely for the good of the horse and that there was no other viable option. It is often the case that horses are put to sleep for their own good but if it doesn't meet the BEVA guidelines, insurance companies will not pay up. Whatever you decide, you know that you love your mare and will make the right decision for her.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
15, navicular, lami prone, repeating colic, couped up on box rest.
I always look at quality of life in these decisions. Given the above that would be enough for me to call it a day for the horses sake alone.

ETA I remember well the last point where I called time on the last horse I owned. I wasn't sure the vet would be supportive but afterwards her words were "I really wish more owners would do the right thing rather than keep their horses going on and on".
My response "Thanks, doesn't make it any easier though". That's the trouble, the right thing for the horse is often the hardest thing for the person.

Last edited:

vmac66

Visit site
What a horrible situation for you and Your horse. When I was thinking about having my boy pts and was undecided I rang my vet who I know and trust and asked the question what would you do. Straight away she said pts. Up till then my head and my heart had been saying different things. When they both said the same thing I knew it was time to let him go. Will be thinking of you whatever decision you make xx

mandyroberts

Visit site
A horse is NOT A CHILD. I think this is an incredibly insensitive and devastatingly destructive post, both to the OP and to anyone else who has ever had to make a choice to end a horse's life :(

I agree - fortunately we can do something for our animals which we can't do for people of whatever age. If you feel you are at the enough is enough stage, its your decision and I think for both of you it would be the right decision

ozpoz

Visit site

No. The horse and owner have both been repeatedly suffering. Perhaps you haven't experienced the anguish colic causes to horse and owner? If you had, you would not have written the above.
So sorry op, times like these are very hard and you clearly want to do your best for your horse,even if that means making the final call. x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't blame you for calling it a day laminitis on its own is bad enough let alone colic and lameness to add to the mix it sounds like you have both really been through it.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Only just seen this thread but just to say hope things are ok OP, or as ok as possible under the circumstances.

Sending virtual hugs x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

As far as I'm aware it is not possible to decide to put your children to sleep.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My experience is from the side of someone who did persevere with a "crisis to crisis" horse (excellent way of describing it southerncomfort).

My mare went from one vet bill to the next, until eventually broke her leg and made the decision for me. I all but gave up riding for a few years and was constantly aware of breaking her when she did come into brief periods of work. She was stressed, difficult and frequently colicky.

Every time she recovered enough to take pts off the table, but never totally. She'd look great, come into work, and go through a fence or similar.

I miss this horse every single day but I can't help but think that I should have called it a day sooner- and years sooner, really- regardless of whether it was 'necessary' or not.

I'm so sorry to hear about your horse, I hope you come to a decision one way or the other. It's the indecision that I found the hardest.