Attending Badminton XC

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I’m attending Badminton XC day for the first time - tips??

do you tend to stay at one jump or try to see a couple over the day? What’s the best way of doing it?

Jenny06

New User
Visit site
The day is much longer than you expect when you’re actually there so I think staying at one jump would be quite boring, theres plenty of time to walk around to see a few jumps, I really liked spending a bit of time watching the warm up as well. Just see how you feel once you’re there and enjoy it?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Go early, traffic to get in can take hours to do the last mile or so.

Some people set up camp at a good jump like the water, take a picnic and stay there.

Mum and I like to walk half the course, shopping and lunch then walk the second half. I’ll have my 9 month old baby with me this time though so I think we might not walk as much.

Sensible shoes, layers and take snacks.

kathantoinette

Visit site
The times we’ve been, we’ve got there early and walked over half the course before the first horse. Gives you a good chance to see the fences without the crowds. Then we walk again when they start, pausing at the fences you can see/get near to.
Have fun!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's so busy that your best chance of actually seeing a horse jump close up is to get there v.early and stake out a fence.

We spent the whole day at Burghley 2019 at the Trout Hatchery. We were in position hours before the start and had great viewing.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I generally wander round the shops on arrival and start walking the course when the first horses are setting off. Watch a couple at each fence. You can get to a good position at the popular fences like the lake etc if you just wait it out for a couple. Then settle at a big screen to watch the last horses.

Parrotperson

Visit site
get in before 8.30 or even 8

get a bacon roll

do the shops

lunch and icecream

walk the course. I've pretty much done all the fences in the time given. All depends on holds on course, refusals, retirements etc but it can be done.

These days I would see as many of the fences as possible but I might hang around for 2 or 3 horses somewhere like the lake or the quarry.

Have another ice cream

Good luck!

Petalpoos

Visit site
We always go early, wander round the stands, then walk the course. Always try and see a couple of horses over each fence and you can usually get close enough if you wait as people always peel off the tape after a horse has gone past. It is always hopelessly overcrowded and I really do wish people wouldn’t bring their dogs - I don’t think the dogs enjoy a day of staring at people’s knees and I don’t enjoy falling over them - but overall we all love it and keep going just about every year. As above, go early and be prepared for long queues to get in, although that may be speeded up as there will be no paying on the gate. We often wander round the stands at the end as it is a better option than sitting in a queue to get out. Enjoy!

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
get in before 8.30 or even 8

get a bacon roll

do the shops

lunch and icecream

walk the course. I've pretty much done all the fences in the time given. All depends on holds on course, refusals, retirements etc but it can be done.

These days I would see as many of the fences as possible but I might hang around for 2 or 3 horses somewhere like the lake or the quarry.

Have another ice cream

Good luck!

There will be many ice creams..

Northern Hare

Visit site
Thanks all! Got the tickets and car parking, need to probably sort a hotel and then enjoy the day :)

You'll have a fantastic day I'm sure! If you need a hotel, I'd recommend getting something booked asap - I was having a look yesterday and some of the nearby Travelodges that have rooms still available are up to £200/nt for the Saturday night. Try Bath, Bristol, Cirencester - Badminton is quite near the M4 as long as you aim to be arriving early as per posts above - preferably 8am'ish. ?

humblepie

Visit site
Went with a friend one year and I think we stopped at every ice cream van around the cross country course. Been spoilt the last few years as got free passes through someone who worked for Mitsubishi but they aren't sponsoring it now so not going. Have a lovely time.

jnb

Visit site
Can anyone advise if the shopping halls are open on the Wednesday?
I would like to go and watch the Grass Roots but am not very mobile currently due to having just had knee surgery - will need plenty of sit-downs and possibly ice creams/shopping stops!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Arrive early. Food and shops whilst people scramble for the first starters. Then walk the course whilst the masses pile off it. I tend to choose which jumps I really want to see.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Can anyone advise if the shopping halls are open on the Wednesday?
I would like to go and watch the Grass Roots but am not very mobile currently due to having just had knee surgery - will need plenty of sit-downs and possibly ice creams/shopping stops!

Check the Badminton Horse Trials website, but pretty sure that if a competition is running all the trade stands will be open.

The last time I went to Badminton the Grass Roots cross country was on, so I had time to watch some of those competitors, go round the trade stands and walk the main course. It was cheap in those days to do that.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I can't believe it's sold out!! We are going on Saturday and leaving very early...went in 2019 and the queues were horrific. Although I understand they've changed the entrance location this time so might be better?!

Taking kids with us this time so planning on doing breakfast, shetland grand national, shops then walk a bit of the course...usually watch 2 or 3 riders on each jump then walk on. The start finish and last jump are in the arena so always good to have a little sit in the grandstand and watch some riders too!

The car parks can be a long way from the shops and toilets etc so be aware if you are planning on leaving your picnic in the car x

TGM

Visit site
I can't believe it's sold out!! We are going on Saturday and leaving very early...went in 2019 and the queues were horrific. Although I understand they've changed the entrance location this time so might be better?!

I think the fact that you have to buy tickets in advance will also help a lot with the queues as people should just be able to show their passes and drive in rather than faff about paying for tickets on the gate. Fingers crossed.

ihatework

Visit site
I nipped in yesterday and there is virtually zero phone signal so just be warned if arranging to meet people!
I hope they have their WiFi sorted to scan tickets on Saturday

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I nipped in yesterday and there is virtually zero phone signal so just be warned if arranging to meet people!
I hope they have their WiFi sorted to scan tickets on Saturday
oh good call, thank you! I'd heard they were putting up temporary masts for EE and a few others...one of the companies declined to take part apparently!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Myself and my friend only got a weak signal yesterday while walking the course up at the far water jump. (O2 and Vodafone). My friend camping there has no signal. Pippa Funnel mentioned poor signal on her Facebook page.

We usually get there early, have a coffee and a wander then go to the Lake about 10.15. Wait there for the first few and then walk the course backwards. We usually watch one or two at each fence. If you wait until a rider has gone through a fence you can usually get to the front when people move on, and get a good view for the next one.

One caution - I walked from the lake to the colt pond, past the broken bridge and vicarage V area, then over past the warmup arena and round to the end of the course and first four fences (so perhaps 2/3 of the course?) and toilets were very few and far between compared to normal (big blocks at far ends of the course), so don’t wait until desperate- and always have a few tissues/mini hand sanitizer in your pocket!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I haven’t been to Badders for a few years. I always get there early do the shops then grab an early lunch as the first few head out and watch on the big screens. Then I walk the course and get a fair shift on to meet each combination at the next fence.

It was a really lovely day yest.