Attending Hartbury Univerity Equine Questions

crazyhorses12345

New User
Visit site
I am hopefully attending hartburys equine science and management cource, starting September and as wondering what the best option was. Either me and my horse both staying on site, or both going off site. I am unsure of the cost off hartbury but have been told its quite expensive.
I was wondering if their was anyone who knew any local yards, that i could keep my horse at, and possibly work part time in-between my studies also, to help pay for him.
I am also looking into accommodation for me, on or off site.
Does anyone have any experience with this, any help is fully acknowledged and would be greatly appreciated.

EventingMum

Visit site
It's Hartpury not Hartbury! Don't know much about it now but I would say staying on site for 1st year lets you meet more people and make friends. When my son was there there wasn't room in halls for 2nd years. He moved into a house with friends near Apperley and picked up work in the village pub, he also rode out for a NH trainer 3 - 4 mornings a week during 2nd and 3rd year. He didn't take a horse with him but 2 friends kept horses on the farm where they were living. I think there quite a few DIY round about Hartpury but wouldn't have details of them. Livery on site has very limited turnout and may not suit every horse.

Pigeon

Visit site
I guess it depends on how sociable you are!! You would definitely meet more people staying onsite, the facilities are great and there tends to be more opportunities for lessons and training, and obviously it's much more convenient for your course.

On the flip side, the stables at equine colleges tend to be quite tightly regulated so you've got to be okay doing things their way (mucking out/feeding etc at a certain time, wearing a hat when handling, that kinda thing) and I'm not sure what the turnout situation is like. That would be quite an important factor for me.

I would be tempted to stay onsite the first year and see how you feel after that!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I thought some of the uni courses required students to do yard duties in the morning/evening, so if that is the case having your horse & room on site would be more manageable.
I think you'd be best to stay in halls and keep your horse at the college for your first year either way, you might find it harder to make friends etc otherwise.
There are loads of DIY yards in the area. Though I didn't go to Hartpury, I worked in Glos for several years so I looked at a few and kept Millie at one of them for about 18 months. The students on the yard said the turnout was poor at the college but obviously the facilities were excellent. Most yards in the area have good turnout and some have student accommodation as well.

Elbie

Visit site
When I was there turnout was poor - as in, trying to get a decent amount of time, if any!

Facilities were good, when you could use them - i.e. when there wasn't a lesson or a show going on.

They are quite strict and like morning jobs to be done by a certain time.

I lived offsite for all 3 years there, in Hartpury run accomodation. Much better than being on campus as we were right near the town so nights out were great for getting back home! However, I found that everyone formed 'cliques' very quickly and I while I made friends with the girls I lived with and a few people on my course I didn't really bond with about 95% of the people on my course!

Umbongo

Visit site
I went to Hartpury a few years ago so may have changed.
But the grazing on-site was non-existant. In the summer the horses would be lucky to get an hour a day. My friends had horses on site and they were always very strict with what times you had your horses done by etc. The 2 main schools were always full and the big indoor one was only to be used for clinics, competitions, lessons etc. Hacking not great either, and I think there was just one loop that liveries were allowed to go on? Though not sure.

Hartpury had another yard they ran in the next village called Maisemore (couple of miles from Hartury). They were a little bit less strict there and had turnout. I lived on a farm in Ashleworth with a field and stables (again, a couple of miles from Hartpury) There is also a couple of livery yards in the village. Stonebow farm and Orchard Stables. I had some great hacks around that area!

I worked weekends for a small family run, national hunt yard in Dymock (bit of a drive) for 3 years. Could maybe pass on your details if you want. You may have to look further away from Hartpury for a yard job, with so many equine students around most yards are fine for grooms. You can also sign up to do some night watching at Hartpury stud (if they still do that), or work in the library (which I did too).

Last edited:

_GG_

Visit site
Rectory farm is in Maisemore and has ok facilities and ok turnout and is close to Hartpury itself. There are lots of little yards around there, including one right next to the equine centre and one just a bit further down the lane. They all book up for students really quickly though, so it's worth calling around as soon as you know you will be going there to get yourself a place. It probably would be good to live in for the first year, but if you don't have to do any yard duties there and you would prefer to live out, just put an advert on the Gloucestershire Horse Riders page on facebook.

I'll PM you as well. x

_GG_

Visit site
Rectory farm is in Maisemore and has ok facilities and ok turnout and is close to Hartpury itself. There are lots of little yards around there, including one right next to the equine centre and one just a bit further down the lane. They all book up for students really quickly though, so it's worth calling around as soon as you know you will be going there to get yourself a place. It probably would be good to live in for the first year, but if you don't have to do any yard duties there and you would prefer to live out, just put an advert on the Gloucestershire Horse Riders page on facebook.

I'll PM you as well. x

I can't PM you but let me know if you do decide to go there as I may be looking for someone to help me by then and I'm only 15 minutes away.

oldie48

Visit site
The big question is do you have your own transport? If you do, you have a lot of choice, if you don't, well you don't. Turnout at Hartpury is non existent, I wouldn't want to keep my horses there although the yards are really nice. My daughter did pc camp there for several years and the accommodation, IMO, isn't that great. If you have your wn transport, i'd probably leave the horse at home for the first year so you get to know people, then find a nice yard, bring the horse and travel in each day. I guess it depends if you have someone to keep your horse going for you during the term.

crazyhorses12345

New User
Visit site
Hi, thank you for you feedback...my horse likes to be turned out so will probily look for somewhere off stie then..okay then, im just waiting to see if I get a place...if I get a place I will be attending so would love to help you x

Flummoxed

Visit site
I haven't attended Hartpury but am familiar with the locality. There are a couple of yards within walking distance which may perhaps be popular with students who don't drive. If you do have transport, you would be able to explore a little further afield. There is a well-appointed yard at Great House Farm, Hasfield with both grazing and indoor school. I can also vouch for Facebook "Gloucestershire Horse Riders" as a very helpful page with lots of hints and suggestions and there is a page "Livery Yards/Grazing in Gloucestershire" which you might find helpful.

There are plenty of local yards - it's just a question of finding the one with the facilities that you need. And there are some that offer student accommodation too including Lyne House Livery which is not too far away. If you are visiting go and see Stacey Dunne at Hartpury Saddlery - she'll know of a few!

crazyhorses12345

New User
Visit site
Okay then, thank you.
Im defiantly going to look around, im going to look for DIY livery, with accommodation for me also. Hoping there is a part-time job around my studies also. Is alot to ask but hoping this is possible.
If anyoone knows anyone who could provide this near hartpury college, please let me know and I will be forever greatfull.

xMoodyMarex

Visit site
Hi, I'm also planning to go to Hartpury this September and have created a facebook page, can be found by searching 'Hartpury Students 2015' . Thought it would be a good way to get to know people before September :)