Avacallo Gel out pad query

oldie48

Visit site
I've received my pad just in time for my dressage camp but it's the Jump one. I have to say it wasn't clear when I ordered it that there was a jump and a dressage one and from looking at the pics online, it's difficult to see any difference. Q Helpuestion is, is there a difference? Also, I seem to be missing a strap, there are two straps at the pommel and cantel that join under the saddle and there are two short straps either side of the seat with a ridged rubber thing attached to each one (both the same) and I can't for the life of me see what you do with them. It's possible I am being completely stupid though! Package was undamaged but the box inside was very damaged with one end missing and no instructions or invoice!! Help, I did so want it for next week!

loz9

Visit site
cant help on the difference between the jump & dressage version as I didn't realise there was!!
the 2 straps you are on about though don't attach to each other they slide/wedge under the panels on each side of the gullet (hope that makes sense!)

oldie48

Visit site
cant help on the difference between the jump & dressage version as I didn't realise there was!!
the 2 straps you are on about though don't attach to each other they slide/wedge under the panels on each side of the gullet (hope that makes sense!)

Ugh. quite odd really but thanks. the acavallo site shows jump and dressage but the Horse health site where I bought mine doesn't but the box clearly says "jump". I am very confused!!!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If it fits your saddle I wouldn't worry. I cut the stupid side straps off as they are unnecessary and can damage the flock/saddle/horse. They are supposed to be pulled round and rammed into the gullet, they don't join anything or each other.

oldie48

Visit site
Well I'm so pleased it wasn't my stupidity and yes it fits the saddle, so I'll go with it. I doubt it will really help my dreadful sitting trot that much but tbh anything is worth a try. If I'd had someone handy to video my last attempt I would have posted it on here just to give you all a good laugh!

lewis2015

Visit site
Yes, I thought the same about those straps when I got mine! I've stopped using my pad now as it was a bit annoying; kept slipping around :/ But good luck with yours - I know loads of people who love them, it just didn't suit me!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I didn't like the idea of putting the straps under the panels so I shoved mine into the little loop for holding the end of the stirrup leather. Seems to work fine.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I only use mine for shows so I shove the plastic bits under the panels just for the day. I found it wiggled about a bit otherwise. Handy bit of kit though, mine has saved me more than once on a few different horses :D

skint1

Visit site
I have one, it's actually the second one I have bought, first time round I thought I didn't like it and the extra straps confused me but then I felt I should've given it a chance so I bought another one and I now love it! I didn't realise that there were different dressage/gp ones!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I was perplexed by the side straps too, took me ages to work out where they went! Really like mine for jumping and hacking.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I knotted my side straps underneath as I had no idea what they were, I always use sheepskin though and cut the plastic bits off so it sits flat and between the panels. No idea about dressage and jumping , I use both of mine on all sorts of saddles.

Fragglerock

Visit site
The straps are really weird and poor design IMHO. My friend has one and it took us a while to decide what to do with them.

Cassy

Visit site
Would one of these help me stay straighter in the saddle? Also would one help me to stay on when my horse shoots sideways?

oldie48

Visit site
This forum is so helpful! Left to my own devices I wouldn't have risked taking the pad to my camp in case I needed to return it. However, pretty confident now that the one I've got is fine, looked at the video and know how to fit it etc so thanks to you all and wish me luck!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Would one of these help me stay straighter in the saddle? Also would one help me to stay on when my horse shoots sideways?

It would def help you with a sideways spook - mine has saved me from several of them. As for sitting straighter... depend why you are crooked. If you sit crooked on one of these, you will stay crooked as they do glue you down a bit :wink3:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
It would def help you with a sideways spook - mine has saved me from several of them. As for sitting straighter... depend why you are crooked. If you sit crooked on one of these, you will stay crooked as they do glue you down a bit :wink3:

You could get the "gel in" one Cassy. I'm not glued in place with the "gel in" one. That's why I chose it I don't like being glued in place, the gel goes next to the saddle on mine and I sit on the suede, which gives improved grip whilst allowing me to alter my position easily.

oldie48

Visit site
Well a quick update, I love it! I'm not sure if it will give me a lovely sitting trot but it will help. It certainly helped my seat in canter and for someone who has an old ladies boney bum, it just makes everything more comfortable. I use a gel pad under the saddle and with the gel out pad on the saddle, I feel very cushioned and it doesn't seem to affect Mr B's response to seat aids, quite the reverse, in fact. My first lesson at dressage camp was brilliant, he just went beautifully and it was, without doubt, the best lesson I have ever had!

skint1

Visit site
Brilliant news! I have a lot of "Natural padding" but I love mine too, it makes me feel much more confident!

eventer and proud

Visit site
I now don't use avacallo. I had a pressure absorbing, non slip, front raiser . Lets just say it slipped ALOT, i had to start wearing it on top of my saddle pad as it slipped to much and unbalanced my saddle, this then put pressure on my saddle pad as it wouldn't 'push up' into the gullet. We have no brought a half pad which is great! My mum does have a gel seat saver which is good though.