Awkward pony?

char3479

Visit site
I had a similar situation a lot of years so. When I was about 10years old I had a ex riding school pony on loan for 6 years, I adored him, but for approx the first 2-3 years he was like this. Fab to hack, only in company back then due to my age wether it be another horse and rider or someone walking. In the school he was absolutely brilliant as long as he was either following another horse or someone was walking next to him (he was mainly a lead rein pony whilst the riding school was open) Have me in the arena on my own was a nightmare just couldn’t get him to move. anyone on the yard had to litlery hide around the corner out of sight for any chance of me getting him to move, as if he saw anyone or any movement he would plant and that would be it. It took a lot of months just me and him in the arena standing at the gate, me trying to get him to walk on. In the end the only thing that helped was getting on him at the top end of the school so he was away from the main yard and gate and just walk half the way down the long side of the arena, build that up after a few days to attempting a 20metre circle away from the gate. This may or may not help, I was young not experienced and it took slot of time, tears and frustration but gradually over the years I could eventually ride him with people watching and even other horses in the arena. As long as it’s not pain related don’t give up hope, reward baby steps, if you get on and one day manage a few steps it’s still a step forward. good luck ?
Thank you - this is much appreciated :)

char3479

Visit site
ask them to ride him in the school to try and see if the problem lies with the school or the rider. If they can get him to go in the school ask them to show your daughter what tactics to employ.
We've tried this & she was able to get him going fine. He also goes forward for me, mostly. But both of us are strong riders and he does it out of necessity rather than willingness! He often puts a good few bucks in, which he doesn't do with my daughter. But I avoid riding him unless absolutely necessary because it's her who needs to get him going. And I'm not entirely convinced that it's just her riding, because she's got stronger, and he's got worse. :(

char3479

Visit site
Thinking laterally, a couple of good suggestions from Caol Ila and Parker, also you say he will hack alone well. Perhaps work on "schooling " when out on a hack; simple transitions, etc getting the pony and daughter developing a positive relationship while the pony learns to listen to your daughter. Perhaps leave going in to the school for a while if you think he is soured from being in there. You and your daughter could also do ground work exercises (you would need to supervise your daughter if she is younger as timing is very important) in the school? Have a look at Richard Maxwell/Mark Rashid (as above ;) ) or similar stuff? Groundwork is good if done well to build up a sound relationship with your pony and things do transfer to ridden.
This is a really good idea, thank you. Other than lunging him (supervised), and carrot stretches (does that count?) she does very little ground work with him.

char3479

Visit site
Could you give a bit more information. How old is your daughter and how experienced? How long have you had the pony and how was pony when you tried it? Have you tried having a more experienced child or a small adult ride the pony?
My daughter's 11. The pony is 6. She isn't hugely experienced, but has been having lessons for about three years, and had a lead rein pony before this one. We loaned the pony for a year before buying him, and we've had him nearly 2 years. Thinking about it, he didn't behave like this initially. However, after a few months of having him, and him having a sore back, on the recommendation of our back lady, we had a vet chiro out who immediately diagnosed him with bilateral front lameness. We had feet scanned, he was diagnosed with osteitis, and had heart bar shoes on. He was rescanned sound but we still have front shoes on him for support. Vet is certain his behaviour is nothing to do with his feet as she has re-examined him a couple of times at my request, because of his behaviour and he is sound. The pony was ridden quite hard as a show pony - head in, forward paces etc - before we got him, but we spent a four months just hacking and giving him some let down time before we asked him to really do anything in the school. I would say his behaviour has deteriorated over the past two/ three months to be at a standstill. Others have ridden him with mixed results.

suestowford

Visit site
One of mine is a bit like this in an arena. I think it was partly boredom and partly finding it all quite hard work. And when we rode in an indoor it was the fascination of looking at himself in the mirrors :D
I did have more luck with him when we tried some non-standard things. So making shapes with poles and working him around those. That was more interesting for him than just going around.

PSD

Visit site
I’d definitely consider scoping. They display some odd behaviours when they have ulcers, my mare would plant in the school and even go up when asked to go forwards when she had grade 4 ulcers yet she’d happily hack out round the paths.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It sounds like he could just think he can get away with not doing much in the school with your daughter, I would ride him yourself or someone who he will move for then straight after put your daughter on and see if he will then move for her.

I do think its worth checking him out for any physical issue that could be causing it as well though.

One of my Arab's can be a bit like this in the school if he thinks he can get away with not doing much he literally won't move for some people, it's like he just knows with some riders and he won't move for them.

southerncomfort

Visit site
If vet is certain it's not pain anywhere then he could just be school sour.

Have you tried doing fun things like gymkhana games/agility obstacles?

Ponies tend to be very clever and you need to keep their brains busy as much their bodies! ?

Tarragon

Visit site
I have a pony like that, quite willing out hacking but just completely disinclined in the school. Like others have mentioned, I worked on him while out riding and ended up with a lovely fit hacking pony, capable of 25 mile endurance rides and hunting, and I tried all sorts in the school to get him more enthusiastic, but in the end I have given up. He just doesn't want to do it. No fun for either of us and not really helpful, I suppose, as I never got to the bottom of it, other than he is a pony with opinions.
Perhaps try schooling out in the field instead and working with the pony you have got. After all, a safe hacking pony is a gem to have.

Peglo

Visit site
Could it be that he’s associating his old back pain with the school and even though that’s fixed he’s worried that it might get sore again when he’s ridden in there?

my first pony refused to school but she would just gallop in circles rather than planting.

hope you get to the bottom of it.

Leandy

Visit site
I would get a small light weight but very firm and competent rider to school him 2 or 3 times a week for several weeks and see how they get on. It may well be that they will get him going and then you will know that he is just being a cheeky so and so for your daughter because she is not a strong or capable enough rider to stop him. Unfortunately, once ponies have learnt a cheeky trick to avoid work it is very difficult/impossible to persuade them out of it once they sense a weaker rider. If the schooling doesn't work and he continues with the same problem then I'm afraid you are probably stuck with it unless you can find a clear physical cause which is resolvable, and will need to accept that he is just a hacking pony.

SEL

Visit site
If I've read this right he was actually quite young when you first had him? If he was then worked while he was sore then you've got a relatively green pony, who possibly associates the school with pain and a novice rider.

I'd likely get a 2nd opinion health-wise and then get an experienced small adult to school him. Once the pony is more confident then re-introduce your daughter in the school under supervision.

What breed?

J&S

Visit site
When it comes down to it, the pony and his young rider will learn a lot more out and about over diffferent terrain and open spaces. Forget the school for a while, find a safe hacking companion for your daughter and teach her all that there is to know about road safety, riding through the woods, opening gates, crossing streams etc etc.

Winters100

Visit site
In your position I think I would have another vet check him to see if they agree that it is not pain related, ulcers would be one thing that would come to mind. I do know of one horse who behaved similarly, 2 vets told the owner that they did not believe that he had ulcers, but when they insisted on a scope it turned out that he did indeed have ulcers.

If it turns out not to be pain then I would ride the pony myself, or find a lightweight instructor who can ride the pony and then help your daughter. I would also try warming up for the arena with a short hack, and riding alongside another in the arena to get him going. I would try to make the arena fun for a while, not working on the pony being on the bit but just having a good canter around the school on a loose rein.

Of course we must always rule out pain (so far as this is possible), but ponies can be quite smart, and it may just be that he has worked out that he doesn't have to because your daughter is not strong enough to make him. She may be getting tense at the thought of him misbehaving and inadvertently sending him the wrong signals. I hope that this is the case as it should be more easily fixed than the other options. For me keeping the pony only as a hacking pony would be a last resort, it will be very limiting in winter, so I would try a few different things to solve it.

EASTIE17

Visit site
Is it possible to go to a beach and maybe jump some puddles, or a forest and jump some fallen logs? Something different. If he does that with her, and obviously only you know whats safe, then he just doesnt like schooling. A few months away from coloured poles may do it and get his appetite back.
I have one who doesn't like his work, it eventually manifested itself in stopping before jumps. Tried lots of things including every health check know to horse kind, blood tests the lot. Hes just a clever pony who doesnt like to work, sent him to a pro rider for a while and he was fine, eventually, once he figured out there was a kid on his back again he started the same nonsense. And of course it can always be the rider, but she has other ponies going well with no issues

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
The pony sounds miserable to me and it is highly likely he is in pain - somewhere. So I second another vet assessment (different vet); also stop schooling & either turn the pony away or only do hacking for a few months (you can also hack 'in hand' and work on things like leg yield rein back shoulder in on a hack). If the vet can state that the pony is 100% healthy and pain free then get the best saddler you can find to check his back/saddle/girth/bridle and bit. Preferably someone who is au fait with biomechanics and will do a thorough assessment. If the saddle is fine, then look to the bridle/bit - I had a horse plant on me (and buck) because he simply couldn't tolerate a bit. Put him in a hackamore and this horse was forward, enthusiastic and a joy to ride. Good luck!