Baby gecko in my bathtub

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
Dear HHOers
I need your expert advice. Having a major house clean today and I just found a baby gecko in the guest bathroom bathtub. Poor little chap is trying to climb out without success. I want to put him out in the garden (where we have loads of them) but understand if distressed he will drop his tail. Any ideas on how I can safely move my little friend from said bath to outside without too much drama?

Chuffy99

Visit site
Get him to walk onto a tea towel fold gently and leave outside til he walks off, preferably not a fluffy tea towel

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Will it cling on to a flannel or something similar long enough to be dropped flannel and all into a bowl and transported outside? If you put a container in front of it, like a small cardboard box, it might go in if its own accord. I think you should avoid handling it if at all possible. Good luck.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Make a gecko-size halter out of plaiting thread and lead him out. Sorry couldn't resist.
:D:D
OR you could pop a glass tumbler / small glass bowl over him then slide a sheet of paper underneath. Easily transportable to freedom. Not many geckos in South Oxfordshire but it works well for very large wolf spiders. Good luck!

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
Make sure to keep fingers out of his teeth reach.

We had a gecko in our house in Portugal just after we moved in (apparently he lived in gas bottle unit outside but has decided to pay a visit), OH wrapped him in a towel and the first thing the ****** did is to sink his(quite sharp) teeth into the towel, luckily missing fingers.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
A baby gecko - you lucky thing! They are fascinating. We had them climbing over the inside walls of a property we rented in Portugal. Great for keeping the mosquito population down. I would capture him/her as I would a spider - clear receptacle over & carefully slide thin card underneath.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ah ok. No I was unable to see a location as on my phone.
I'm not sure how I'd feel about a lizard in the bathroom. Cute yes, but not inside 😳
On a slightly similar note I'm on the Facebook page of Snakecatchers Of Adelaide and it's fascinating!

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
I'm back. Sorry I went dark but our internet suddenly went down last night.
Thanks for all your replies. Sadly no luck catching our friend 24 hours later ��
I tried all your suggestions and the glass with paper underneath no luck either. He's a fast little one and too quick for me to catch.
I left some water in a little container (no idea if they drink?)
Yes I'm in Melbourne, Australia and we have them everywhere outside on the house walls waiting to catch the bugs. They are quite large and I'm find them lovely and can catch the larger ones in my hand but my buthtub buddy is so small I think I would squish him if I picked him up, that is if I could catch him.
Plan B anyone?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Maybe a sheet or something that will cover the whole bath? You could maybe then pull the sides in and catch it within, gently pick the whole sheet up and take it outside? Not sure if that would hurt it, let alone even work.