Back people - is it a con?

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid I think most of them are a waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid I think ALL of them are a waste of money.

A good rider should be able to tell where a horse is most weak in it's back - I know this because my instructer picked up that Dorey was slightly lopsided in her back when I bought her.

Both when handling and when riding she kept an eye on the development of Dorey's back, and by doing nothing more than riding her properly, she solved the problem.

She was concerned at first that it was masking an injury, but it just transpired to be weakness due to lack of schooling. She's still week behind on that side, but her back is stronger.

Okay, fine, not ever rider is perfect enough to feel their horses backs through their seat - but I think they're much better off paying an instructer to teach them to ride better than a back person to give them a load of codswallop, imo...

calon

Visit site
i trust my back man used him for 3 over the years and always had improvement from his treatment however i know of another who is usless and will find trouble when it isnt there and then take weeks to cure it .mine has been out and said no all is fine

Parkranger

Visit site
I think it's sad that people dismiss the advancement of how we can care for our horses just because they've been keeping horses for years and have never used a certain method.

Last time I had a horse it was unheard of to get a physio in, but when I first got Ty I thought I'd give it a go, just to loosen him up as he'd been in a riding school for 5 months. I can honestly say that it made the world of difference - his neck was so stiff before and his turning certainly loosened up.

I use Jenny Hadland and they are professional and very knowledgeable - I think that some people ruin it for the rest of the profession but I know that I'll always embrace the new 'fads' if they make my horses life more comfortable.

x