Backing 3/4yr olds

ahml100

Visit site
Smart 3yo Daffy!
Ahml I’m looking forwards to seeing how your Cos me is Black develops, he is a useful stallion
Asha, Frank is looking super (any yes hairy ?)

Mines back in and doing a bit more de-twatting ? I love him really but by god can it be a prat
View attachment 46470View attachment 46471

Thank you! We are learning ground manners at the moment, he is very good but with the spring grass coming through he has forgotten himself - luckily we are getting back no track. Love the expression! We will also be doing some of that as well

TheMule

Visit site
Smart 3yo Daffy!
Ahml I’m looking forwards to seeing how your Cos me is Black develops, he is a useful stallion
Asha, Frank is looking super (any yes hairy ?)

Mines back in and doing a bit more de-twatting ? I love him really but by god can it be a prat
View attachment 46470View attachment 46471

Great to see him back in, fingers crossed for not too much twattish behavior

TheMule

Visit site
Just checking in with how people are getting on. I'm itching to get going again and the babies are busy creating trouble so we're going out on ride and lead hacks a few times a week, partly to keep the weight down as well.
Nova has suddenly blossomed into a proper horse. I can't believe the difference a few weeks and a summer coat makes

50BC7FEA-218B-4E0D-9913-409E07C6EC59.jpeg

daffy44

Visit site
Nova looks lovely, and very grown up! Mine still looks like a gangly baby with half his winter fluff attatched, but we did some long reining for the second time today today and he was so good, he followed the cat around the school, and then did his first off roading on the long reins and he was fab, so I forgive his unfortunate looks!

TheMule

Visit site
Nova looks lovely, and very grown up! Mine still looks like a gangly baby with half his winter fluff attatched, but we did some long reining for the second time today today and he was so good, he followed the cat around the school, and then did his first off roading on the long reins and he was fab, so I forgive his unfortunate looks!

I think given the freezing cold nights we're having, it's a sensible strategy he's employing!
Mine is obsessed with the cat too. Poor cat!

daffy44

Visit site
I think you are right, he was moulting hugely, and I was getting loads off him, but this week he is hanging on to every bit of fluff he has! The cat thing is funny, he was wobbly to start today, then the cat just marched off ahead of him, and that was it, one confident horse.

Asha

Visit site
He’s looking cracking TM .
Nothing happening with Frank at the minute as we had an awful weekend . One of our yearlings broke her jaw , ended up at Leahurst for a few days . she’s now at our local vets having a few more days of extra support , and hopefully back home on Friday . So Frank will just have to wait while we give her lots of extra attention.
Frank is enjoying being scruffy and fat

Palindrome

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your yearling Asha, he sounds like he is in good hands, I hope he gets better soon.

Nova is looking handsome, his neck is well developed already.

Riri has been learning about extracting pony nuts from a bin and snorting over traffic cones, as instructed by my naughty gelding (she follows his every move) :D.
More seriously, I have started grooming from a step and leaning over while I groom to get her used to having weight on her back.

IMG_4549.jpg

Asha

Visit site
Oh no Asha, I'm really sorry about your yearling, I hope she makes a good recovery, what a horrible weekend for you.

thank you daffy . It was horrible to see, she was stood with blades of grass in her lips and water dribbling from her mouth . Her attitude throughout the whole thing was incredible. Such a lovely filly , such a relief that she’s going to be ok .

daffy44

Visit site
thank you daffy . It was horrible to see, she was stood with blades of grass in her lips and water dribbling from her mouth . Her attitude throughout the whole thing was incredible. Such a lovely filly , such a relief that she’s going to be ok .

What a good girl, hopefully given her age, she should heal really well.

j1ffy

Visit site
Asha, that sounds horrific. As others have said I hope she heals well, I've known a much older horse do something similar and make a full recovery so fingers crossed.

Everyone's 3yos are looking great! Chilli has been backed and ridden away, though slightly limited as they've not been allowed to hack in Spain. He's having a break from ridden work for a little while, here's a video of him loose schooling earlier in the week:

TheMule

Visit site

Poor little thing! Fingers crossed for speedy recovery- at least at this age they do tend to heal quickly

TheMule

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your yearling Asha, he sounds like he is in good hands, I hope he gets better soon.

Nova is looking handsome, his neck is well developed already.

Riri has been learning about extracting pony nuts from a bin and snorting over traffic cones, as instructed by my naughty gelding (she follows his every move) :D.
More seriously, I have started grooming from a step and leaning over while I groom to get her used to having weight on her back.

View attachment 47152

Perfect first steps- I picked up a tip recently where you give them a pony nut on the opposite side to where you're standing on the block, to get them to look round at you and curve their body towards you. Worked really well with mine, they accepted me readily with the bribe of a pony nut!

TheMule

Visit site
Asha, that sounds horrific. As others have said I hope she heals well, I've known a much older horse do something similar and make a full recovery so fingers crossed.

Everyone's 3yos are looking great! Chilli has been backed and ridden away, though slightly limited as they've not been allowed to hack in Spain. He's having a break from ridden work for a little while, here's a video of him loose schooling earlier in the week:

Feisty one!

j1ffy

Visit site
Feisty one!

You wouldn't say that if I'd included the first 90 seconds of the video Antonio sent me - it was a full 60 seconds of rolling then 30 seconds of Antonio getting him to move :D He mostly wants to stand around and have cuddles! He's a brave boy and not particularly reactive to unexpected movements and sounds, though he seems to be forward and obedient so far...

j1ffy

Visit site
Another Chilli update - he's back in ridden work as of yesterday and today was ridden with a snaffle bit for the first time (all work to date has been off the cavesson, with a sweet iron bit (no contact) for the last two sessions before his break). He seemed to take it in his stride.

NB: Excuse the positioning of the flash, Spanish trainer isn't the best with English tack but the noseband is usually very loose anyway!

Chilli 18 May.jpeg
Chilli 18 May 2.jpeg

daffy44

Visit site
ihatework, I agree with TM, much better to get the muppetry out of their systems early!

I realized that in my general faffing with mine I hadnt really done any loading since he was a foal, so since I took one of the older horses out on saturday, I left the lorry out and bless the three yr old, he went halfway up the ramp, had a good look and sniff and then clomped up the ramp like he'd been doing it all his life. Turned nicely on the truck, and stood easily while I closed the partition, and just licked the wall and admired his new, taller view. Unloaded equally calmly, and repeated the process a couple of times, so I'm very pleased, now we can travel more I'll try and remember to repeat the loading whenever the lorry is out and do a a couple of short drives at some point too.

But he still looks like such a gangly baby compared to the other three yr olds on this thread!

Palindrome

Visit site
But he still looks like such a gangly baby compared to the other three yr olds on this thread!

Mine looks like a horse if you look on from the side but a yearling from the front, her chest is still very narrow. She used to have an upside down neck as well as a foal/yearling but fortunately she grew out of it.

daffy44

Visit site
Mine looks like a horse if you look on from the side but a yearling from the front, her chest is still very narrow. She used to have an upside down neck as well as a foal/yearling but fortunately she grew out of it.

I think mine is the opposite! He is not too narrow, but he is tall, and looks lanky and weak from the side, but he is changing so much at the moment, some weeks he looks strong and compact, and then a few weeks later he is weak and lanky again.

utter-nutter

Visit site
He’s looking cracking TM .
Nothing happening with Frank at the minute as we had an awful weekend . One of our yearlings broke her jaw , ended up at Leahurst for a few days . she’s now at our local vets having a few more days of extra support , and hopefully back home on Friday . So Frank will just have to wait while we give her lots of extra attention.
Frank is enjoying being scruffy and fat
still working out how to use this forum.. but had to reply.. my current horse broke his jaw as a yearling (got kicked), it has not affected him in anyway, just got told to keep an eye on his teeth in case they grow awkwardly, but they never have, does have a few white hairs where it happened, but you would never know, I hunt and team chase him and he's now 12, hope it all goes well with yours

Asha

Visit site
still working out how to use this forum.. but had to reply.. my current horse broke his jaw as a yearling (got kicked), it has not affected him in anyway, just got told to keep an eye on his teeth in case they grow awkwardly, but they never have, does have a few white hairs where it happened, but you would never know, I hunt and team chase him and he's now 12, hope it all goes well with yours

thank you for posting that , it’s fabulous to hear your boy has had no lasting effects . I hope we are as lucky x

The bit she broke was right at the top , in between the eye socket and her ear . She completely snapped it off . They couldn’t get to it , so no operation for her . But they do believe she will heal completely with no problems. They say it’s very rare to break this part , and have no idea how she could have done it . They can say she wasn’t kicked as hers is a low impact break . She’s been struggling a bit with teething , I believe she’s been rubbing her jaw and got caught somewhere, but can’t be sure . we will never know !
But , she is improving and has put some weight back on in the last couple of days . The one good thing with Irish draughts is they will eat !
She was looking a bit tucked up , but I think she’s starting to plump out a bit now 5D2AC476-6CB4-4BBF-B079-C96536C53765.jpeg