Backing 3/4yr olds

Palindrome

Visit site
He is by Escape Z and dam is by Fleetwater Opposition, with a good dash of New Forest pony in there.
I chose the stallion to put a bit more power in the jump and try to iron out some of her (many) conformation flaws. I'm really pleased with what they made, he went Elite at the futurity and he's just the type I love to ride.
He has got a fantastic hip, hindleg and shoulder, he will be a good dressage horse if you decide you don't want to leave the ground anymore ;)

TheMule

Visit site
Update number 1.....

Nova has been taking a few steps under saddle this week and been very relaxed so today we ventured out on a little hack, starting on the lead rein from his mum and then a little alone. He was ace

5A55C98D-C8FC-4D95-BA86-B53CFB1A36A9.jpeg

The mule is getting really good at long lining- I may brave venturing out onto the tracks next week

5011498E-E0C0-4FEE-80FC-30BBC0A1B366.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
They're adorable, aren't they?! I'd love to take her to Spain to do a long trek through the hills one day.
Is he PRE? Can I ask why you decided to send him to Spain to be started?

Yes, he's a PRE and nephew to my now retired PRE, Indio :) He's a far more practical colour though, I didn't want a grey in the first place!

And of course you can ask! There are a couple of reasons. Most importantly, both horses that I have had from my trainer in Spain have been ideal for my situation (a not-very-talented amateur who needs to keep them on livery). They've been very happy in their work, great fun to ride, and happy to turn a hoof to absolutely anything. Confident without being strong, if you know what I mean. And also any yard manager's dream as they're happy to be in or out and can be handled by anyone. I know plenty of other horses from his yard, both here and Spain (and not just PREs) and they're all similar! He's also trained a few horses from Indio's / Chilli's stud and loves them, whereas some trainers aren't so keen as they need to be worked with rather than told what to do.

Second reason, which made it all doable, is that despite having trained Spanish champions my trainer's full training livery prices in Spain are about the same per month as you'd pay an equivalent trainer per week over here. It means that, even with the transport costs, I can afford to give Chilli a really solid start.

TheMule

Visit site
Yes, he's a PRE and nephew to my now retired PRE, Indio :) He's a far more practical colour though, I didn't want a grey in the first place!

And of course you can ask! There are a couple of reasons. Most importantly, both horses that I have had from my trainer in Spain have been ideal for my situation (a not-very-talented amateur who needs to keep them on livery). They've been very happy in their work, great fun to ride, and happy to turn a hoof to absolutely anything. Confident without being strong, if you know what I mean. And also any yard manager's dream as they're happy to be in or out and can be handled by anyone. I know plenty of other horses from his yard, both here and Spain (and not just PREs) and they're all similar! He's also trained a few horses from Indio's / Chilli's stud and loves them, whereas some trainers aren't so keen as they need to be worked with rather than told what to do.

Second reason, which made it all doable, is that despite having trained Spanish champions my trainer's full training livery prices in Spain are about the same per month as you'd pay an equivalent trainer per week over here. It means that, even with the transport costs, I can afford to give Chilli a really solid start.

Certainly all the Spanish and Portuguese horses we had have been very straightforward to do, so that does make sense. If you find a good trainer and system that works for you that's worth a lot.
Fingers crossed you can have him home soon!

TheMule

Visit site
Update number 2....

The mule did her first little hack today and was just so sweet. She's odd to ride- she has a very 'pacey' walk so rides a bit like a camel?! But she is really enjoying her little excursions

4AEE52B9-2242-4A0A-853B-40B3EFD356C5.jpeg

Nova has done a few of the hacking loops, has advanced to 2nd gear and has done a couple of little rides in the arena

284E482F-3281-40D3-BB53-250285DA19B5.jpeg

They will each do 2 more rides and then be left alone until July. I'm delighted with how quickly both of them progressed and how well they took to it all

Palindrome

Visit site
Capture d’écran 2020-04-30 à 22.16.29.png

Capture d’écran 2020-04-30 à 22.18.28.png

My youngster has arrived at the yard where I keep my other horses so we can start some work. We are quite behind you TheMule as she has been left a bit feral so we will be working on picking feet to start with.

My gelding is wondering why he is not in the spotlight anymore so gratuitous pic of him discovering his new field and fieldmate. He is 5 now and really starting to mature.

Capture d’écran 2020-04-30 à 22.16.50.png

ETA: headcollar has been swapped to a field safe one.

TheMule

Visit site
View attachment 45895

View attachment 45901

My youngster has arrived at the yard where I keep my other horses so we can start some work. We are quite behind you TheMule as she has been left a bit feral so we will be working on picking feet to start with.

My gelding is wondering why he is not in the spotlight anymore so gratuitous pic of him discovering his new field and fieldmate. He is 5 now and really starting to mature.

View attachment 45900

ETA: headcollar has been swapped to a field safe one.

Oh she is lovely! How is she settling in? Your boy is gorgeous too- what's his breeding?

TheMule

Visit site
Update from me....

Both the 3yr olds hacked a few times and are now turned away again until July. Really pleased with where we got to, it was an ideal start. They're grazing a friend's fields at the moment so I took advantage of having her arena (which is more enclosed than mine) to give them a loose jump today and was really pleased with how they have both matured.
I'm really hoping the BEF Futurity series can run this year- Nova was an elite foal and I think he'd show himself off quite nicely, though he's much too small for what they want (may just about sneak in as a pony....)

D75FAB97-A6D6-4D68-B51C-BBA5057D9165.jpeg
24378FE3-01BB-4C42-9EEF-26F1CF07D13A.jpeg

Palindrome

Visit site
Oh she is lovely! How is she settling in? Your boy is gorgeous too- what's his breeding?

She is progressing well, today she let me groom her fully and pick all 4 feet although she managed to break her field headcollar by pulling on it as soon as I had a hold of it. Catching is not the strong point.

My gelding is a French trotter, bred for racing. He didn't make the time as a 3 years old so he was heading for slaughter. There are a lot like him for rehoming. They are a very undervalued breed.

Your two have a really nice jump. Did you canter them under saddle? If so, did you ask for the first canter in the arena or while hacking out?

TheMule

Visit site
She is progressing well, today she let me groom her fully and pick all 4 feet although she managed to break her field headcollar by pulling on it as soon as I had a hold of it. Catching is not the strong point.

My gelding is a French trotter, bred for racing. He didn't make the time as a 3 years old so he was heading for slaughter. There are a lot like him for rehoming. They are a very undervalued breed.

Your two have a really nice jump. Did you canter them under saddle? If so, did you ask for the first canter in the arena or while hacking out?

Oh the fun of baby horses! I must admit it's nice having 2 where I know the handling is totally sorted before backing.

I haven’t cantered these two yet but when I do it will be behind another horse out hacking- we have a nice uphill stretch that I use

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Missed this thread in April. What lovely updates. They seem to have taken it totally in their stride - so you have done a great job in preparing them! Looking forward to seeing how they progress. And yes we DO need an eventing mule!!

TheMule

Visit site
Missed this thread in April. What lovely updates. They seem to have taken it totally in their stride - so you have done a great job in preparing them! Looking forward to seeing how they progress. And yes we DO need an eventing mule!!

Thank you ?
I think an 80 one day won’t be out of the realms of possibility so I may have to get a petition going!

ahml100

Visit site
Gosh, everyones look so lovely! This is my rising 3 year old, he was bitted and led from another horse last year. I hope to back and ride him away this summer.

Edit apologies for the massive watermark. Not sure how to upload anything not by photobucket

FC50864F-BCDF-4206-A790-26169731AB83_zpswmasqeck.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Gosh, everyones look so lovely! This is my rising 3 year old, he was bitted and led from another horse last year. I hope to back and ride him away this summer.

Edit apologies for the massive watermark. Not sure how to upload anything not by photobucket

FC50864F-BCDF-4206-A790-26169731AB83_zpswmasqeck.jpeg

He looks a lovely sort, and like he still has a bit of growing to do! How is he bred?
I'm such a fan of leading them from another horse, I really think it's a great way to teach them about movement up above them, going forwards, voice commands and traffic, if you have somewhere suitable

ahml100

Visit site
He looks a lovely sort, and like he still has a bit of growing to do! How is he bred?
I'm such a fan of leading them from another horse, I really think it's a great way to teach them about movement up above them, going forwards, voice commands and traffic, if you have somewhere suitable

Thank you! He is by Cos Me Is Black out of a point to point mare. Same, I am also very lucky that the yard he is kept at is in the middle of 200 acres of woodland tracks so he can all over without worrying about traffic. Also, the woods are used for logging so heavy machinery is his norm!

TheMule

Visit site
Thank you! He is by Cos Me Is Black out of a point to point mare. Same, I am also very lucky that the yard he is kept at is in the middle of 200 acres of woodland tracks so he can all over without worrying about traffic. Also, the woods are used for logging so heavy machinery is his norm!

Really nice breeding, I'm a big fan of that stallion and that tradition ISH mix is always a winner

TheMule

Visit site
TM - a tad jealous of how yours is coming along , Frank is still very hairy and doing nothing . Managed to get a half decent photo of him today. He’s definitely filled out a bit. He will be sent for backing at the end of the summer . He turned 3 in April View attachment 46189

He's a really nice sort- luckily there's no harm in being hairy and doing nothing at this age! I was never going to start mine so soon but circumstances just made sense to do it.

Asha

Visit site
He's a really nice sort- luckily there's no harm in being hairy and doing nothing at this age! I was never going to start mine so soon but circumstances just made sense to do it.
Thanks, he’s my last WB, all others are Irish draughts . He’s definitely ready to do a little of something, as he’s showing me he’s a bit bored ? will enjoy watching everyones progress ?

TheMule

Visit site
Dont worry Asha, my three yr old WB looks a lot more like yours,mine is currently having a growth spurt, and he looks hairy, gangly and daft, mine is well handled and has had his first session on the long reins and was very good, so I forgive his unfortunate looks at the moment.

Nova came out the womb looking mature and has never gone through that gangly stage. Strange how they all grow differently!

daffy44

Visit site
Nova came out the womb looking mature and has never gone through that gangly stage. Strange how they all grow differently!

You are so right, I have this three yr olds half brother, who is five now, and he has looked exactly the same throughout, he has just every now and then taken a deep breath and got bigger, but never changed shape at all. But the three yr old, he changes shape every week!

Asha

Visit site
You are so right, I have this three yr olds half brother, who is five now, and he has looked exactly the same throughout, he has just every now and then taken a deep breath and got bigger, but never changed shape at all. But the three yr old, he changes shape every week!
I couldn’t have posted a photo of Frank a few weeks ago , he looked horrendous.
it will be interesting to see them all again next year . We must keep this post going and watch the changes .?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Update from me....

Both the 3yr olds hacked a few times and are now turned away again until July. Really pleased with where we got to, it was an ideal start. They're grazing a friend's fields at the moment so I took advantage of having her arena (which is more enclosed than mine) to give them a loose jump today and was really pleased with how they have both matured.
I'm really hoping the BEF Futurity series can run this year- Nova was an elite foal and I think he'd show himself off quite nicely, though he's much too small for what they want (may just about sneak in as a pony....)

View attachment 46001
View attachment 46002

I think no one told the mule that he s not a horse! Amazing jump!