Backing 3/4yr olds

j1ffy

Visit site
He's absolutely gorgeous! Really beautiful. I don't think my horse has ever sounded that out of breath even after an XC course- feel like he has never bloody worked now lol!

The horse isn't out of breath, he does the odd gentle snort, but the rider is breathing hard (I think the effort of filming and riding is a bit much ;)) and his clothes are rustling! All the youngsters do very short sessions and def don't get over-worked.

And thank you, I think he's gorgeous. Missing him loads, I should have been out to visit twice already :( Still, can't complain given the challenges and suffering that this virus has brought to millions of other people.

Michen

Visit site
He's absolutely gorgeous! Really beautiful. I don't think my horse has ever sounded that out of breath even after an XC course- feel like he has never bloody worked now lol!

I can hear the rider breathing and the horse out of breath, he does lots of little snorts along with the odd bigger one so it matches up. Wasn't a criticism, hotter climate etc and my 4yr old could do with getting a bit out of breath frankly and losing a few pounds!

j1ffy

Visit site
I can hear the rider breathing and the horse out of breath, he does lots of little snorts along with the odd bigger one so it matches up. Wasn't a criticism, hotter climate etc and my 4yr old could do with getting a bit out of breath frankly and losing a few pounds!

I'm probably a bit over-sensitive as I try to navigate a path between competitive friends (particularly in Spain) who back horses at 2.5 years and pretty much have them in full work from then on (and therefore think I'm a bunny hugger), and those who say I shouldn't have had him backed until he's 6 :eek: It's a minefield! I've stopped putting things about him on social media as someone always gets offended ;)

lannerch

Visit site
Love his very supple bending neck , he’s going to be amazing , people do love to judge on social media and their way is always the right way lol Agree you have to learn to ignore.

j1ffy

Visit site
Love his very supple bending neck , he’s going to be amazing , people do love to judge on social media and their way is always the right way lol Agree you have to learn to ignore.

Thank you! I've been pleased to see that (like his uncle, who I competed to Medium dressage) he has a tendency to poke his nose rather than curl up like many PREs. I think it's a lot easier to get a correct way of going when they want to push the nose out but, like you say, he looks nicely supple too. Hopefully we can avoid any freak neck-damaging field accidents, which is how his uncle developed issues that led to me retiring him last year :(

Cherryblossom

Visit site
Chilli continues to do well in Spain. I've actually managed to book a trip there in September, hopefully to coincide with sending him home. Here's a little video of him from this morning (it's nice to know what the view will look like...!) and a photo of him cantering. The photo looks lovely but being a 3yo there are also plenty of wobbly moments, the joy of internet forums is I only need to share the good ones :p;)

View attachment 51359
What an absolutely beautiful horse; he is going to be a superstar! Is he naturally very uphill?

Reactions: TPO

ihatework

Visit site
He looks looks lovely Jiffy!
And fingers crossed for speedy recovery for those with broken or self harming ones!

Mine has been reasonably quiet, lots of pony patting, letting the front end catch up with the back end. I’ve found a cracking local young event rider to come and do a bit with him from mine (until my pregnant friend foals) so he will be ramping back up again soon.

j1ffy

Visit site
What an absolutely beautiful horse; he is going to be a superstar! Is he naturally very uphill?

Thank you! I wouldn't say he's very uphill, he's correct rather than flashy in his movement but his canter is lovely - very off-the-ground for a Spanish. He has a lot of knee-action but is straight with no dishing, so I think his trot will develop nicely over the years. I'm pleased that I've ended up with a big SJ-bred warmblood on loan this year as it means I'm used to a big canter now!

Northern

Visit site
Wee Bella wore the roller for the first time today :cool:
She was more interested in the fact that horses were being led in a row some distance away o_O
Attention returned to me after asking for a few basic "move your feet" exercises.
She definitely didn't care much about it at all, she would take the saddle blanket and wave it around if it were up to her!

Attachments

• roller.JPG
    roller.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 8

j1ffy

Visit site
Wee Bella wore the roller for the first time today :cool:
She was more interested in the fact that horses were being led in a row some distance away o_O
Attention returned to me after asking for a few basic "move your feet" exercises.
She definitely didn't care much about it at all, she would take the saddle blanket and wave it around if it were up to her!

Ah bless her! She has the sweetest face.

Marigold4

Visit site
Otto update - he continues to progress - very slowly! Here he is trying out his Equine Fusion boots ready for more adventurous hacking on our flinty local tracks. Very impressed with him at the weekend when I rode him in a full-blown gale in an open field for the first time. Good as gold. We've also been out a few times to a local sand school for short sessions in walk and trot. He's very forward but not at all silly. Just wants to get on with it. Thanks to his groundwork, he learnt a ridden turn on the forehand at his first attempt. A smart little cookie!

Attachments

• IMG_3719.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 29

TheMule

Visit site
It's so lovely to see so many lovely young horses and all making progress. Mine has decided to grow and has gone a bit weak behind so I'm trying to forget about him for a bit. I really noticed it when doing his filming so that was a useful exercise and hopefully we can try again in 6 weeks. Planning on getting back on the mule in another couple of weeks time though!

rara007

Visit site
So we’ve hit something she really doesn’t like rather than is just green to- ropes/reins behind the left hind leg. Right not perfect but gets over it- left we were still performing about at the end of today’s session. A tricky balance between ignoring it, telling her off for being ridiculous, keeping her safe and keeping her happy. TBC...

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
Can I join please!?

This is my 15hh 4 year old from Ireland, bought unseen 3 weeks ago. He’s very sweet but have just discovered that he paces today ???‍♀️? however I’m hoping we can overcome this!

Aim is BE grassroots.

I’ll have a look through the thread now :)

(Ps I’ve been here over 10 years but as I’m posting pictures I’ve got a fresh new look ?)

Attachments

• A42083A8-CF50-492A-A7E7-8F092494A4EF.jpeg
    A42083A8-CF50-492A-A7E7-8F092494A4EF.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 26
  • F422A2BE-8A22-481B-8CDA-419265B261B6.jpeg
    F422A2BE-8A22-481B-8CDA-419265B261B6.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 24

palo1

Visit site
Chilli continues to do well in Spain. I've actually managed to book a trip there in September, hopefully to coincide with sending him home. Here's a little video of him from this morning (it's nice to know what the view will look like...!) and a photo of him cantering. The photo looks lovely but being a 3yo there are also plenty of wobbly moments, the joy of internet forums is I only need to share the good ones :p;)

View attachment 51359

He is truly stunning! How exciting for you to soon see and feel the progress in person. :) Wonderful stuff.

palo1

Visit site
Lovely young horses!! Having a bit of an epic saddle fail with Alw at the moment but yesterday I hopped on to a sheepskin numnah with surcingle and tootled off up the road (son with me in case of trouble :) ) Alw felt so much nicer which is good but a bit sad that her saddle has been enough to make a negative difference. She hasn't complained one little bit about it either so I am thankful that I decided that she just wasn't moving well enough and started to investigate. I do use body workers etc but always try to sort things with 'correct' work but in this instance I am grateful to my saddle fitter who suggested a body worker who has already helped. It will be a process of experimentation now to find a saddle that works nicely but in the meantime a lovely CL sheepskin pad is on the way for little bits of stirrup-less riding. :) It's fun to try new stuff. :) :) I am hopeful it will be good for my lower leg position...

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ah, silly lady getting herself in a fuss R, my gelding was funny about a line behind when he was young (well, I say young, about 6ish), and he did get over it fairly quickly from memory.

Little pudding pony has not been doing much, just 2-3 times a week, a school and a pootle out. We have a passable baby leg yield and walk, trot canter. Canter transitions are a bit messy - I think I'm struggling to get the right trot speed/rhythm to get it any better atm, she has quite a lot of trot gears and haven't consistently found the right one yet. Must crack on with loading practice, I have been neglectful with doing it so far in her life ?

Sorry, no pics, will try to get one over the weekend

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can't really join in because my newly backed 'baby' is 7 already, but my goodness she was hot hot hot when I first got on today!

Loving reading your stories (not yours, CB!)

ycbm

Visit site

My PRE is a very heavy breather, it might be a breed thing?

Michen

Visit site
My PRE is a very heavy breather, it might be a breed thing?

Maybe! I did spend 2 years on a Lusitano stud farm and never had one breath like that unless they had been absolutely belting around the field. Different breed enough I know!

Again, wasn’t a criticism, was just surprised to hear as genuinely have never had a horse that out of breath even after low level eventing or a hectic line hunting. That said, Bear could do with being that out of breath!!!

ycbm

Visit site
I'm just hoping mine does it because of tension, if not she'll be in for a wind op!

FrostKitten

Visit site
Here's my (new) lovely 4YO mare, not posting a full-body picture right now as she's just come off a low grass paddock from losing her foal back in May and is understandably underweight. Needs a good foot rebalance and a lot of groundwork but hoping to have her backed in the next few months with support from my amazing Livery.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-10 at 18.51.11.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Here's my (new) lovely 4YO mare, not posting a full-body picture right now as she's just come off a low grass paddock from losing her foal back in May and is understandably underweight. Needs a good foot rebalance and a lot of groundwork but hoping to have her backed in the next few months with support from my amazing Livery.

View attachment 51517

Poor little mare, must be so traumatizing to have that happen, especially so young.

j1ffy

Visit site
i am constantly amazed by why mine never pant or sweat

Of my older PREs, I have one of each. One never seems to sweat or pant, the other sweats up easily and also breathes ‘heavily’ (light snorting, the odd heavy snort) after schooling. It’s almost more ‘Spanish Dragon’ than actual breathlessness as he can do it after not a lot of work, but always when he’s done something a bit tricky or fun so he’s puffed his chest out and is showing off, even in walk on the buckle. His breath then tends to only return to normal once you’ve got off.

Having not seen my 3yo working in the flesh, it’s hard to say if he’s more like the former or latter PRE. I only did groundwork in walk and a bit of loose schooling with him before he left. It will be interesting to find out when I do make it over there.

j1ffy

Visit site

View attachment 51517

Poor girl, I hope she gets over her loss soon. She has a lovely face!