Backing 3/4yr olds

TheMule

Visit site
Now we are in the new year I can join in! My filly will be turning 3 at the beginning of May but I have started doing some bits of pieces of ground work. My aim for this year was to perhaps do a bit of showing so we have been learning to lead, back up and stand. We have also started to wear a rug and today had our first bit in (below pic)! She is a very brave soul and nothing fazes her or spooks her. She is a PRE by the young Champion Poeta de Susaeta and out of an Official mare.View attachment 62985

She looks super. Enjoy the journey, please keep sharing!

TheMule

Visit site
Well, my two are still out in the field- covered in mud, fat and hairy. I'm hoping to start up a bit of groundwork and some conditioning out on ride and lead hacks end of next month, but that depends on where we get to with lockdown as that massively affects my workload.

196B5AE7-6C84-4013-96CB-EE64CF0DDFBF.jpeg
D69ED88A-DA4D-4CE0-ACB4-CBB28445FC53.jpeg

lannerch

Visit site
Excellent news! I always find it amazing that they can come back in seemingly knowing more than did before. What’s the plan from now?
I think the plan is to just lightly hack her out for now with another break later in the spring, not going to do any serious schooling this year at all certainly not until autumn ,don’t like doing too many circles until she’s older, just incase.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Well, my two are still out in the field- covered in mud, fat and hairy. I'm hoping to start up a bit of groundwork and some conditioning out on ride and lead hacks end of next month, but that depends on where we get to with lockdown as that massively affects my workload.

View attachment 62991
View attachment 62992
Your mule is just ?.

Schollym

Visit site
I have a 3.5 year old filly who has had a few issues about being handy with her feet. When we bought her last year as she turned two, the people we bought her from had to sedate her or the farrier. We have got through this, our experienced farrier told her off and as she has been as good as gold with him since and only occasionally needs to be reminded when cleaning her feet out.
The issue I have at present is the willingness to try and kick you when put a rug on. Not all the time but will turn and threaten or cowkick. Only rugging with a headcollar on so we can remind her about expectations. Is this a phase she will grow out off

palo1

Visit site
So, after 8 weeks off doing nothing but eating her head off, my little mare has started doing a bit of stuff again! We have done a couple of auditions for the Spanish Riding School walks out in hand and rode and led yesterday. It is pretty hilly here and there are very very few really short circuits so she was a bit huffy puffy of 5 miles of very gentle led stuff yesterday. Today I hopped on again, entirely without incident; in fact she was delighted and stood beautifully for me to get on, listened before walking on and then led her friend out of the gate. I did only a little bit but all seems to be in good working order thankfully. Lovely walk but she did get tired at the top of the hill where we turned for home. Day off tomorrow and on Tuesday I plan to tackle a 5 mile hilly block in a combination of in-hand and ridden. She is definately easier ridden BUT she is in very soft condition so in hand is pretty much compulsory and I think we will both enjoy it. She has come through the winter having grown and now feels pretty substantial to ride; so, so different to the petite, short coupled youngster that arrived here nearly 2 years ago!! At that point she was barely 15hh and most definately 'unfinished' but now she looks a much better length, tracks up well and is confident and strong. :) :) I will be taking it slow and steady for a couple of months (of course...) but it is just brilliant to be back in the saddle with my lovely girl. :) :)

Michen

Visit site
So, after 8 weeks off doing nothing but eating her head off, my little mare has started doing a bit of stuff again! We have done a couple of auditions for the Spanish Riding School walks out in hand and rode and led yesterday. It is pretty hilly here and there are very very few really short circuits so she was a bit huffy puffy of 5 miles of very gentle led stuff yesterday. Today I hopped on again, entirely without incident; in fact she was delighted and stood beautifully for me to get on, listened before walking on and then led her friend out of the gate. I did only a little bit but all seems to be in good working order thankfully. Lovely walk but she did get tired at the top of the hill where we turned for home. Day off tomorrow and on Tuesday I plan to tackle a 5 mile hilly block in a combination of in-hand and ridden. She is definately easier ridden BUT she is in very soft condition so in hand is pretty much compulsory and I think we will both enjoy it. She has come through the winter having grown and now feels pretty substantial to ride; so, so different to the petite, short coupled youngster that arrived here nearly 2 years ago!! At that point she was barely 15hh and most definately 'unfinished' but now she looks a much better length, tracks up well and is confident and strong. :):) I will be taking it slow and steady for a couple of months (of course...) but it is just brilliant to be back in the saddle with my lovely girl. :):)

brilliant!!!

MissTyc

Visit site
So exciting, I can finally join as well.
My Irish Sports Horse unseen auction purchase turns 3 in May :) He arrived at 5 months and I've recently had him gelded. He's a little dude at 15hh, with a planned max height of 15.3hh to suit me. Hopefully a fun all rounder. So far, keeping him alive has been the main objective as he had a horrid stomach infection that nearly killed him last winter. He also stopped growing for 6 months because of it! He's in a herd, handles and leads nicely, fine in light traffic and lovely following his mates out on short walks ... Can't wait to start showing him a bit more of the world this year! I do everything slowly, but hoping to sit on him at the end of the summer after many months of in hand exploration. He's a smart chap and loves to learn so I need to be careful not to overface him and let the herd do 99% of the teaching.

MissTyc

Visit site
I have a 3.5 year old filly who has had a few issues about being handy with her feet. When we bought her last year as she turned two, the people we bought her from had to sedate her or the farrier. We have got through this, our experienced farrier told her off and as she has been as good as gold with him since and only occasionally needs to be reminded when cleaning her feet out.
The issue I have at present is the willingness to try and kick you when put a rug on. Not all the time but will turn and threaten or cowkick. Only rugging with a headcollar on so we can remind her about expectations. Is this a phase she will grow out off

My homebred mare was the snarkiest and most controversial little horse, reinforced by a serious injury requiring surgery under GA and lots of touching afterwards (to a leg GASP!). She DID grow out of it. In her 7th year she suddenly "solidified" and now you could crawl under her or hug her hind legs if you wanted. Unthinkable, before. She's now "rising 11" and actually turned into a cuddlebug and super safe in every respect. So don't give up. Stay calm and consistent and firm in your expectations. Don't give conflicting signals. Reward the good :)/

TheMule

Visit site
So exciting, I can finally join as well.
My Irish Sports Horse unseen auction purchase turns 3 in May :) He arrived at 5 months and I've recently had him gelded. He's a little dude at 15hh, with a planned max height of 15.3hh to suit me. Hopefully a fun all rounder. So far, keeping him alive has been the main objective as he had a horrid stomach infection that nearly killed him last winter. He also stopped growing for 6 months because of it! He's in a herd, handles and leads nicely, fine in light traffic and lovely following his mates out on short walks ... Can't wait to start showing him a bit more of the world this year! I do everything slowly, but hoping to sit on him at the end of the summer after many months of in hand exploration. He's a smart chap and loves to learn so I need to be careful not to overface him and let the herd do 99% of the teaching.

We are going to need photos!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oooh i will be able to join this thread this year, hopefully :D foal-buddy TB is 3 this year. Not planning to do a lot until the summer tbh, I need to integrate them into the oldies herd late spring so I can take him away to start Big Horse Skool later in the year. He's a sweet dollop so I don't feel like there's going to be any need to crack on really ;) he is doing an important job for now. Prob just back and turn away to grow.

palo1

Visit site
Oooh i will be able to join this thread this year, hopefully :D foal-buddy TB is 3 this year. Not planning to do a lot until the summer tbh, I need to integrate them into the oldies herd late spring so I can take him away to start Big Horse Skool later in the year. He's a sweet dollop so I don't feel like there's going to be any need to crack on really ;) he is doing an important job for now. Prob just back and turn away to grow.

How lovely to have a new project to look forward to!! Before you know it Hera will be 3 too...:):)

alsxx

Visit site
Excited to join this thread now my baby has turned 3 this year!

I've not done much with him so far, had hoped to do some in hand bits last year which obviously didn't happen... he's been well handled about the yard and leads well and that's about it ?‍♀️ So hopefully come spring we will start with some in hand walks out and about. And who knows we might get to a couple of shows!? He's not actually 3 until mid June so the plan is to back him late summer and get him going for gently for 6-8 weeks before turning away for the winter. Need to find someone to send him to though as I don't have the facilities or help on the ground. Any recommendations in the south east?

Oh and he's a NF x TB, currently standing 14.2 in front and 15hh behind, so perfect height for me once he's finished growing!

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_160049_758.jpg
    IMG_20201205_160049_758.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210123_185626_131.jpg
    IMG_20210123_185626_131.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 23

lannerch

Visit site
He looks a lovely pretty type should be a handy all rounder with his breeding. No help with where to send him as I’m Cheshire Shropshire way . Welcome look forward to the updates

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Excited to join this thread now my baby has turned 3 this year!

I've not done much with him so far, had hoped to do some in hand bits last year which obviously didn't happen... he's been well handled about the yard and leads well and that's about it ?‍♀️ So hopefully come spring we will start with some in hand walks out and about. And who knows we might get to a couple of shows!? He's not actually 3 until mid June so the plan is to back him late summer and get him going for gently for 6-8 weeks before turning away for the winter. Need to find someone to send him to though as I don't have the facilities or help on the ground. Any recommendations in the south east?

Oh and he's a NF x TB, currently standing 14.2 in front and 15hh behind, so perfect height for me once he's finished growing!

He is lovely- super useful type. My baby horse has a bit of NF blood in him and I think it adds a lot to the mix.
Good luck!

j1ffy

Visit site
I did a year apart comparison for mine the other day and can't believe how much she has changed!
View attachment 64085

She looks beautiful! What a change.

Of course they can also change back again - Chilli's back to being a fluffy, rotund mud-lark ? Here's a few pics I put together for a 'transformations' class in the GBPRE photo show!

Class 5 Transformations.jpg

shortstuff99

Visit site
That is quite impressive! My babies look like horrible muddy scruff balls but I'm hoping there's something nice underneath
You do see them looking all fugly and think oo err ?. Then they just somehow become horses ?.

I'm sure under all the mud they're growing into great things!

shortstuff99

Visit site
She looks beautiful! What a change.

Of course they can also change back again - Chilli's back to being a fluffy, rotund mud-lark ? Here's a few pics I put together for a 'transformations' class in the GBPRE photo show!

View attachment 64092
Thank you!

I think he still looks great! Did you place?

I entered the show with my 2 but didn't place. Was quite hard though as they were all put together and I have a fusion and a 2 year old. They can't ever compete with the grown up pure PREs ?. When they did the earlier show and split the fusions out then I did well.

j1ffy

Visit site
Thank you!

I think he still looks great! Did you place?

I entered the show with my 2 but didn't place. Was quite hard though as they were all put together and I have a fusion and a 2 year old. They can't ever compete with the grown up pure PREs ?. When they did the earlier show and split the fusions out then I did well.

No ? There were some stunning horses in there and lots of pro photos, I don't think my iPhone snaps stood up to them! I did place 6th in the headshot class with my older boy (now on loan to a friend, but at the same yard) - that was a pro shot from an Area Festival a few years ago. Well done on doing well in the summer show! We didn't get a single placing at that one.

shortstuff99

Visit site
No ? There were some stunning horses in there and lots of pro photos, I don't think my iPhone snaps stood up to them! I did place 6th in the headshot class with my older boy (now on loan to a friend, but at the same yard) - that was a pro shot from an Area Festival a few years ago. Well done on doing well in the summer show! We didn't get a single placing at that one.
Well done on the headshot placing, there was a lot of entries in that!

The photo shows are good fun though and I hope they do some more :)

windand rain

Visit site
Kitten joins this group this year she is rising 3 wont be doing much but might get sat on in the Autumn. I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone byarrival day.jpg
Arrival day after some pretty rotten weather delayed her
a bit long for me.jpga few weeks ago and no thats not her saddle its just one dumped on to see her reaction
Which was zero response more bothered by her field mate the other side muscling in on the act