Backing 3/4yr olds

j1ffy

Visit site
Very exciting ahml100! He’s very handsome.

I’ve been off games this past 10 days, so instead of riding Chilli we’ve done some in-hand hacks and a first go at loose jumping. During the latter, he stepped over a huge 9-inch cross pole, but did so without hesitation or worry so I took that as a win ?

In-hand hacking is very easy with him, my dogs are harder work. He went first past a man strimming hedges, we saw our first tractor and trailer, and at one point I decided lead-horse Pocholo could do the hard work so tied the lead rope to his tail. Don’t tell the BHS. It lasted all of two seconds as P’s tail is well-conditioned!

Chilli also had his hooves checked by our hoofcare guru. He’s only on grass so I was expecting a lecture, but other than being a bit low in mg he’s looking ok - balance is fine and not too footy. He has a weaker hind leg that will need work and the hoof building up, but that should be ok.

He’s got a good bum on him now, I’m looking forward to a similar photo in a few months once he’s stronger and has a bit more muscle on him:

FF544BB9-1B34-41A8-9829-AA47B4C202BD.jpeg
And just because he’s cute:

828CF7F9-0F08-4B7E-AA22-7D50B580C0BD.jpeg

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

I’ve been off games this past 10 days, so instead of riding Chilli we’ve done some in-hand hacks and a first go at loose jumping. During the latter, he stepped over a huge 9-inch cross pole, but did so without hesitation or worry so I took that as a win ?

In-hand hacking is very easy with him, my dogs are harder work. He went first past a man strimming hedges, we saw our first tractor and trailer, and at one point I decided lead-horse Pocholo could do the hard work so tied the lead rope to his tail. Don’t tell the BHS. It lasted all of two seconds as P’s tail is well-conditioned!

Chilli also had his hooves checked by our hoofcare guru. He’s only on grass so I was expecting a lecture, but other than being a bit low in mg he’s looking ok - balance is fine and not too footy. He has a weaker hind leg that will need work and the hoof building up, but that should be ok.

He’s got a good bum on him now, I’m looking forward to a similar photo in a few months once he’s stronger and has a bit more muscle on him:

View attachment 71970

View attachment 71971
I do like him! He looks like he might be quite a chunky PRE ?

TheMule

Visit site
So with Jamie now safely at boarding school, with a strong talking too as I left that Mummy is not paying all this money for you to fool around and no matter how cool the other kids are, you are expected to spend your time learning not mucking about ?

I thought it would be interesting to take a picture before he left to hopefully take another, probably September time to document the change in shape!

Then I thought it would be interesting to see the difference from yearling to four! Big difference is we have finally grown into his ears! Back end is big and now just need to get stronger in front.

Such a smart boy!

TheMule

Visit site

View attachment 71970

View attachment 71971

He's a little power pack. Super that his temperament is so good too

j1ffy

Visit site
I do like him! He looks like he might be quite a chunky PRE ?
He's a little power pack. Super that his temperament is so good too

Thank you! I’m utterly besotted with him, probably a bit too much as I’m taking it very very slowly!! He did a lot last year though so has good foundations established.

ahml100

Visit site

View attachment 71970

View attachment 71971

I love the look of your boy! I was very fortunate to be a working pupil in Asturias back in 2015. Yard full of PREs and I developed such a soft spot for them. Looking forward to seeing yours grow!

shortstuff99

Visit site
This is all my 3 year old PRE is mainly doing ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

However leg is now healed! She is back out in the field during the day, and I'm now starting up with some training.

TheMule

Visit site
Nova went to a dressage lesson yesterday, he went there once at 3 as well so not a new venue, but I am still so proud of his behavior, focus and effort. He really hasn’t done much in the school at all and very little full stop for the past 5 weeks but he was such a sweetie and we achieved more than I though we would. I love riding him.
It didn’t all look like this by any means, but it's nice to see moments of what will hopefully develop more consistently

D724A167-0819-47E7-9EFA-4E270C7B83EE.jpeg
91FD0805-B5CA-434B-BB2D-5F3E112246E3.jpeg

ahml100

Visit site
Nova went to a dressage lesson yesterday, he went there once at 3 as well so not a new venue, but I am still so proud of his behavior, focus and effort. He really hasn’t done much in the school at all and very little full stop for the past 5 weeks but he was such a sweetie and we achieved more than I though we would. I love riding him.
It didn’t all look like this by any means, but it's nice to see moments of what will hopefully develop more consistently

View attachment 72021
View attachment 72022

He looks Super TM. What are the baby aims/plans/aspirations for him this summer?

TheMule

Visit site
He looks Super TM. What are the baby aims/plans/aspirations for him this summer?

I think probably just some low key outings with friends to see a bit of the world- a walk and trot dressage test, some arena hire, a few RC lessons. He needs to jump under saddle at some point and then have a little xc school, but no rush

Asha

Visit site

View attachment 72021
View attachment 72022

Hes looking fab TM, hes really filled out. How big is he now ?

j1ffy

Visit site
Wow he looks much bigger!

He really does! He's a lovely sort, what's his breeding?

Shortstuff99 - your PRE is beautiful. My PREs all seem to enjoy breakfast in bed too, maybe it's a breed thing (along with extra-long siestas, I've never known horses to lie down for so long!).

Asha

Visit site
He's still pretty mini, probably about 15.1, but he is solid so doesn’t ride small

he does look much bigger !
Mind you, weve had a couple of people say Frank looked big. We laughed as weve always seen him as a 15.3/16hds size. So we got the stick on him the other day and hes now around 16.1 ish

TheMule

Visit site

Thanks- he is by Escape Z (Emerald x Heartbreaker so proper warmblood SJ lines). I took a chance on using him as a 4yr old as just loved his type and he's now competing 1.55m with Harrie Smolders
His dam was Fleetwater Opposition x New Forest x TB so he's a proper mishmash of all sorts, but he really is what I hoped I'd get. Which rarely happens with breeding your own ?

j1ffy

Visit site
Thanks- he is by Escape Z (Emerald x Heartbreaker so proper warmblood SJ lines). I took a chance on using him as a 4yr old as just loved his type and he's now competing 1.55m with Harrie Smolders
His dam was Fleetwater Opposition x New Forest x TB so he's a proper mishmash of all sorts, but he really is what I hoped I'd get. Which rarely happens with breeding your own ?

I've only tried breeding my own once, and it was such a disaster that I vowed never again!! Well done with him - he's absolutely lovely.

TheMule

Visit site
I've only tried breeding my own once, and it was such a disaster that I vowed never again!! Well done with him - he's absolutely lovely.

Well my first attempt died at 18months after costing me a small fortune at vet school. So anything was going to be a bonus with this one really!

shortstuff99

Visit site

Shortstuff99 - your PRE is beautiful. My PREs all seem to enjoy breakfast in bed too, maybe it's a breed thing (along with extra-long siestas, I've never known horses to lie down for so long!).
Thank you I think so too ?.

They do all enjoy sleeping but so I do I so think we are well matched haha!

ANCCE have announced that they are doing a virtual morphology competition again so I think I am going to give that a go and see what sort of comments we get!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This is all my 3 year old PRE is mainly doing ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

However leg is now healed! She is back out in the field during the day, and I'm now starting up with some training.

Stunning colour SS, is there something pearl is the mix?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My 3 year old is still far too bum high to think of getting on him, but he's integrated really well into the group. He's nearest the camera, they've been dozing like this for a while. Also growing like an absolute weed and putting all his energy into that and not his coat change. I hope to get a picture of him without the odd looking driving clip some time soon.

Screenshot_20210518-164633_Sricam.jpg

shortstuff99

Visit site
My 3 year old is still far too bum high to think of getting on him, but he's integrated really well into the group. He's nearest the camera, they've been dozing like this for a while. Also growing like an absolute weed and putting all his energy into that and not his coat change. I hope to get a picture of him without the odd looking driving clip some time soon.

View attachment 72135
They all look really happy together! Glad he is coming along well.

MarvelVillis

Visit site
An exciting day on Monday... I went to visit my boy at my trainer's yard to go out for a little hack. I rode one of hers whilst she rode mine out, I think she said it was his first ride out without being led. On the way back we decided to swap so I got my first little go... it felt very surreal! He was so good but it probably helped that he was so tired from his first big boy excursion. As we turned down the lane to go back to the yard, we ran into the local farmer who was herding a couple of bulls running frantically down the road. Not what I envisaged we would bump into on my first ride, but he stood there calmly whilst they disappeared round the corner. All good experience for him I guess!

The cheesy grin says it all.

thumbnail.jpg

daffy44

Visit site
15.1 TM?! I would have thought about a hand bigger than that! He looks fantastic, really strong for his age.

Mine is 4 today, and for his birthday I got him a vet with a needle, I know, I'm so kind! He had a lovely chilled hack in the sunshine grabbing cow parsley, then he had his booster, which he did actually like, he is such a labrador he was delighted to meet the vet and be made a fuss of, I dont think he even noticed the needle.