Backing 3/4yr olds

daffy44

Visit site
Goodness Palo that sounds horrific! The poor horse, sadly I can see that however awful the end was it was probably the safest outcome allround, but how tragic.

MP, you will be fine, you have a huge advantage in that you know their characters, you know who they are, and that combined with all your knowledge and experience means that it will all be fine, a nice blank canvas is a pleasure to deal with.

I totally agree with the first sit thing, with Bingo, my latest youngster, I had said I'd prep him for the backing yard, but not get on, and I'd loved faffing about with him, doing all the bits and pieces, and he had been so good with everything. One day I had leant over him, and I just thought why on earth wouldnt I get on? So I did, and he was utterly relaxed and accepted it as just another stage of daft things I did to him! I got on and off a few times, and he was good as gold, I did progress to a little walking about, which was also drama free, but I believe very strongly that the first sit has to be when it feels right, nothing else really matters.

Caol Ila

Visit site
i think you're right there, definitely. I'm planning to start my 2 tiddlers with loading soon because they really need to move to give the field a rest. I had an anxiety dream about it because really the foal is fairly feral in terms of knowledge, she knows leading and feet and worming and that kind of stuff, but never having been out of her little paddock I am acutely aware of how the next stage is critical to get right to avoid disaster! it's not even like re-starting a bad loader, at least they know not to flip out on the box or jump off the ramp sideways :eek: i am sure it will be OK if we just go slowly and systematically but the responsibility weighs heavy on me, esp as we weren't able to do this while she was still on the mare, because... reasons.

Your filly is less feral than mine, who knew nothing about feet or loading when I bought her and had never left her herd. She's now decided that loading isn't for her, and the back feet are a work in progress. Wouldn't it have been easier to play with its feet when it was a wee foal, still on the mare. Wouldn't it????

However, she goes on little walks and she isn't herdbound, and her baby liberty work was so slick today that another livery came into the arena with no idea that the filly was totally loose until I was like, "Uhhhh.... hang on... let me get a headcollar on her."

"Oh, I thought she was on a lead."

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
oh yeah, i am not trying to suggest mine is unhandled, absolutely the opposite, she is well handled and trusts me well (she is a bit wary of OH for no reason other than she only sees him occasionally). it was more thinking about stuff like where to position the lorry, things that I wouldn't give a second thought to with an experienced horse - my set up is currently limited in space, so we could e.g. park in the field, but I don't want to be too close to a fence, in case of a launching-from-ramp incident etc.

OH is so blase, in some respects he's right and in other ways I find the gung ho-ness a bit triggering :p I'm a think it through from every angle kinda person :oops:
anyway, it's the 3yo that fits this thread... he is not as well handled and prone to slightly silly reactions when he gets worried so I think I will begin with foal and hope she gives him the lead!

daydreamer

Visit site
Duncan has had a busy couple of weeks. First visit from physio just for a check up - larger left shoulder, weak in the right hind and a tendency to stand with the left hind forwards. We were given exercises to do which I think are helping but I'm still slightly paranoid he is going to end up wonky for life and it will all be my fault.

Then he had his wolf teeth out which the vet said were surprisingly big. I was amazed at how little hassle it was though, done in the field under sedation.

He has had the roller on for the first time, although he has had an elasticated surcingle on a few times when he was much younger. He was as good as gold although it was fairly loose.

I have also attached a line to the outside of the roller a couple of times in preparation for long lining. He was very good both times. I think I'm going to start by long lining him in a dually before biting him and using the bit. I also need to restart taking him on walks to get him used to being out and about.

I am going slowly because a) there is no rush and b) I don't want to push too hard and mess things up.

roller.pngstarting long lining.png

southerncomfort

Visit site
God that's awful Palo.

I'm absolutely certain that other riders/trainers could have got my boy going a lot quicker than I have but I'm enjoying the journey and I'm in no rush. Plus I know he finds it mentally tiring and benefits from little mini breaks every now and then.

MP I definitely get the anxiety dreams thing. Like you I worry about getting the little details right and setting up for success, but it means I sometimes agonise over things and I can't stop my brain going over and over the details even when I'm asleep!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I decided not to long rein yesterday and we went for a nice long walk in the sunshine instead.

Bo met my neighbours grandchildren, his first experience of very small people I think but he somehow instinctively understood that he needs to be gentle around them. He stood quietly and let them stroke him but I think he found the strain of standing quietly for so long quite taxing and when we set off again I had to remind him that trotting down a steep road is not desirable!

On the way back we met another set of neighbours and stood to have a chat which he didn't mind as we were walking back up the very steep hill which is hard work.

When we got back I mounted and dismounted a few times but didn't push it any further as I could see he was tired.

He has a day off today as I have a friend coming for coffee (yay!).

ahml100

Visit site
After telling my trainer that no, Jamie has not got any bigger...this photo has ever so slightly called me out! Therefore, does anyone have any stop-grow remedies?! He has forgotten I am only 5’3 ?

Attachments

• 1EDBA493-E365-4800-B181-2B8682A0721D.png
    1EDBA493-E365-4800-B181-2B8682A0721D.png
    872 KB · Views: 50

palo1

Visit site
We are out of time!! It is Alw's 5th birthday tomorrow :) :) It seems unbelievable that I chose her as a (late) 2 year old but I have had such a lovely time over the last couple of years and feel hugely priveleged to have shared this early time with her. I very much hope she has a long, happy home for life with me - it seems strangely emotional to leave these early months behind but I am sure we have exciting times to come. If I can I will post a birthday pic but we have to shuffle off and let new youngsters on the page now lol!!

TheMule

Visit site
We are out of time!! It is Alw's 5th birthday tomorrow :):) It seems unbelievable that I chose her as a (late) 2 year old but I have had such a lovely time over the last couple of years and feel hugely priveleged to have shared this early time with her. I very much hope she has a long, happy home for life with me - it seems strangely emotional to leave these early months behind but I am sure we have exciting times to come. If I can I will post a birthday pic but we have to shuffle off and let new youngsters on the page now lol!!

She is always welcome on this thread
More evidence that we need a 5/6 year old thread now though ?

palo1

Visit site
She is always welcome on this thread
More evidence that we need a 5/6 year old thread now though ?

Happy Birthday Maesmynach Alw!! :) :)

Optimized-IMG_20190511_142224.jpg

On her arrival:-
She was very, very calm, having loaded without hesitation and travelled very well but took ages to unload from the stud's lorry because she hadn't seen chickens previously and was convinced that they were most definately NOT OK!!
Optimized-IMG_20190415_202749.jpg

And yesterday - try as I might I simply could not get a decent photo of her - she was on constant 'wriggle' mode but here she is anyway!! Horribly blurred and not quite the 'perfectly stood up photo' I had hoped for but you can see she is a pretty shape lol!!

Optimized-IMG_20210426_180150_0.jpg

southerncomfort

Visit site
Happy birthday Alw! I really hope someone will start a 5/6 year old thread. I've really loved reading all the updates.

I'm currently feeling a bit miserable. ?

As we've done more work my lovely boy has dropped weight. I mean he looks great and exactly how you'd want a native at this time of year. But he was already quite narrow and still has some filling out to do.

Now his saddle has started slipping forwards and pinching behind his shoulders. Have tried my other pony's straighter cut Black Country saddle which is better but still slips forwards when he moves.

So after consultation with my saddler, I've come up with a plan to stick with walking out in hand, long reining and a little bit of polework etc for the next few weeks. He turns 5 soon so I'm hoping that he'll start to fill out and grow a bit of muscle. Then lovely saddler will come back out to reassess.

I need to try and source a BC saddle but pony sizes are like hens teeth unfortunately.

I know it's notoriously difficult to fit saddles to Fell ponies so it's not unexpected, and a few more weeks of ground based training won't hurt at all, but I'm feeling rubbish about the saddle slipping. Rationally I know it's not my fault and he's a sensible sort and won't hold it against me. I also know that bumps in the road like this are par for the course with a youngster. But yeah....Still feel a bit miserable about it all.

palo1

Visit site
Happy birthday Alw! I really hope someone will start a 5/6 year old thread. I've really loved reading all the updates.

I'm currently feeling a bit miserable. ?

As we've done more work my lovely boy has dropped weight. I mean he looks great and exactly how you'd want a native at this time of year. But he was already quite narrow and still has some filling out to do.

Now his saddle has started slipping forwards and pinching behind his shoulders. Have tried my other pony's straighter cut Black Country saddle which is better but still slips forwards when he moves.

So after consultation with my saddler, I've come up with a plan to stick with walking out in hand, long reining and a little bit of polework etc for the next few weeks. He turns 5 soon so I'm hoping that he'll start to fill out and grow a bit of muscle. Then lovely saddler will come back out to reassess.

I need to try and source a BC saddle but pony sizes are like hens teeth unfortunately.

I know it's notoriously difficult to fit saddles to Fell ponies so it's not unexpected, and a few more weeks of ground based training won't hurt at all, but I'm feeling rubbish about the saddle slipping. Rationally I know it's not my fault and he's a sensible sort and won't hold it against me. I also know that bumps in the road like this are par for the course with a youngster. But yeah....Still feel a bit miserable about it all.

Ah, I completely understand and have been there! When we were really struggling for a saddle last year I used a Christ bareback pad (without stirrups) on saddle fitters recommendation. It was bliss!! It helped Alw get over some minor saddle related soreness and kept her faith in ridden work, took what we were doing down a notch in intensity but learning and having fun continued. Might something like that work for you?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Ah, I completely understand and have been there! When we were really struggling for a saddle last year I used a Christ bareback pad (without stirrups) on saddle fitters recommendation. It was bliss!! It helped Alw get over some minor saddle related soreness and kept her faith in ridden work, took what we were doing down a notch in intensity but learning and having fun continued. Might something like that work for you?

Reassuring to read this!

That sounds like a really good idea actually and not something I'd have thought of.

Thank you, I will go and have a look at them.

palo1

Visit site
Reassuring to read this!

That sounds like a really good idea actually and not something I'd have thought of.

Thank you, I will go and have a look at them.

They are expensive but incredibly useful to have in the tack room, re-sell really easily if you wanted to and are bizarrely secure to ride in! I really can't say enough good things about the Christ bareback pads. All of our horses are very happy to be ridden in them and just so, blissfully comfy! I unintentionally introduced tiddly jumps in one...

Ouch05

Visit site
Goodness I have not done an update for months. Well Edward was originally backed in Oct 20 as a 3 years old then gentle hacked walk and a little trot for 3 months. I went away with work for 5 months were he was left to be a horse with his mate only coming in for farrier and a groom by my OH. I got back in Nov 20 (now 4) I got on him first then sent him away for 3 weeks.

Wow just wow, I totally love this boy he is such a nice horse and one that I really love to be around even when not riding. He is still only exercised 3 times a week (one rein and in hand poles included) for about 20 minutes and only a circuit or two of canter on each rein I just want everything to be slow and steady.

We went for our first solo hack and having read and listen to loads of advice I believe I did the right think. When he got scared and planted I asked once but before he got upset I jumped off walked him passed and back passed it and got back on then rode passed again. I did this three times the first time then when I repeated the hack the next week he just walked passed it all and went further along each time.

We did our first comp which was not so great as the arena was next to the car park and it was really busy he just kept stopping on that side and staring so nothing bad at all then went back in to the warm up and happily had a canter on each rein with other horses. So very pleased.

Took him away to the next one and I have to say I have never been to a more spooky arena in all my years of riding. The warm up was set up for arena cross Xc including a bank and water ditch and the scariest fillers and wings I have ever seen, the arena itself had full size plastic pigs, horses, cows, sheep and dragons in the corners . None of which bothered him but the very large and spooky banners where his undoing. We scored 58% but we won 100% with his attitude and I was on a high the whole week.

Sorry for the blurry picture. Loads to work on I do sometimes look at the videos of 4 1/2 year old that are so established and balanced and cantering 20m circles when I chuffed when we complete a lap of our arena.

dedward.jpg

southerncomfort

Visit site
They are expensive but incredibly useful to have in the tack room, re-sell really easily if you wanted to and are bizarrely secure to ride in! I really can't say enough good things about the Christ bareback pads. All of our horses are very happy to be ridden in them and just so, blissfully comfy! I unintentionally introduced tiddly jumps in one...

They look really comfy and much more secure than I was expecting!

daffy44

Visit site
Well my rising 4yr old has been home from being backed a month now, and he is being brilliant, I am well aware we are in a honeymoon period, but thats fine by me, I'm going to enjoy it! He really is a pleasure to work with, he is pretty big, but very narrow and weak, and he has big movement, so it will take time to build his strength, but I am getting on without lunging first, he is working well in the school and being brave and sensible out hacking. Early this week I took him for an arena hire for his first trip away from home, and he was angelic, I have no intention of competing him yet, but I do like to get youngsters used to the idea that they go away from home, do some riding, and go home again, its all just life experience at this stage. I took him to a local yard and he saw banners, boards, letters, judges table complete with tablecloth all for the first time, and he wasnt bothered by any of it, he was easy to load, travel, tack up etc, so for a first outing I couldnt ask for more.

TheMule

Visit site
Goodness I have not done an update for months. Well Edward was originally backed in Oct 20 as a 3 years old then gentle hacked walk and a little trot for 3 months. I went away with work for 5 months were he was left to be a horse with his mate only coming in for farrier and a groom by my OH. I got back in Nov 20 (now 4) I got on him first then sent him away for 3 weeks.

Wow just wow, I totally love this boy he is such a nice horse and one that I really love to be around even when not riding. He is still only exercised 3 times a week (one rein and in hand poles included) for about 20 minutes and only a circuit or two of canter on each rein I just want everything to be slow and steady.

We went for our first solo hack and having read and listen to loads of advice I believe I did the right think. When he got scared and planted I asked once but before he got upset I jumped off walked him passed and back passed it and got back on then rode passed again. I did this three times the first time then when I repeated the hack the next week he just walked passed it all and went further along each time.

We did our first comp which was not so great as the arena was next to the car park and it was really busy he just kept stopping on that side and staring so nothing bad at all then went back in to the warm up and happily had a canter on each rein with other horses. So very pleased.

Took him away to the next one and I have to say I have never been to a more spooky arena in all my years of riding. The warm up was set up for arena cross Xc including a bank and water ditch and the scariest fillers and wings I have ever seen, the arena itself had full size plastic pigs, horses, cows, sheep and dragons in the corners . None of which bothered him but the very large and spooky banners where his undoing. We scored 58% but we won 100% with his attitude and I was on a high the whole week.

Sorry for the blurry picture. Loads to work on I do sometimes look at the videos of 4 1/2 year old that are so established and balanced and cantering 20m circles when I chuffed when we complete a lap of our arena.

dView attachment 70802

I think he's looking fab! Well done, great to get out and enjoying him

TheMule

Visit site
Well my rising 4yr old has been home from being backed a month now, and he is being brilliant, I am well aware we are in a honeymoon period, but thats fine by me, I'm going to enjoy it! He really is a pleasure to work with, he is pretty big, but very narrow and weak, and he has big movement, so it will take time to build his strength, but I am getting on without lunging first, he is working well in the school and being brave and sensible out hacking. Early this week I took him for an arena hire for his first trip away from home, and he was angelic, I have no intention of competing him yet, but I do like to get youngsters used to the idea that they go away from home, do some riding, and go home again, its all just life experience at this stage. I took him to a local yard and he saw banners, boards, letters, judges table complete with tablecloth all for the first time, and he wasnt bothered by any of it, he was easy to load, travel, tack up etc, so for a first outing I couldnt ask for more.

Sounds great- I love this naive stage too where they just soak up all the new learning no fuss. We need pictures.....

TheMule

Visit site
My 2 are making good progress. We have had to stop hacking for a while as no nice sensible lead, but hopefully that will change next month. So they go in the arena every 2/ 3 days, mainly in walk because the surface isn’t great without lots of rain on it (not my arena, they're being lawn mowers for a friend) so we're mostly working on steering (the mule) and little bits of lateral work (Nova)
A friend came to have a little sit on today- first time they've been ridden by someone else, they were super ❤️

1090FB07-4D49-4495-A5B5-AF995CED7B7F.jpeg
6EBF7032-0669-40FF-8410-144AB549122B.jpeg
3EF95B2B-BB60-4984-9929-D14F52A518C5.jpegEF9C8037-EDDE-40E9-B989-159D3FE8012F.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Just brought my golden girl back in and she’s been an absolute sweetheart , she hacked out all by herself foot perfect then quietly went into the school to be videoed . Such a sweetheart just love her . This is the second time of being ridden https://youtube.com/shorts/mAilf_Si5us?feature=share

What a good girl- she looks nicely forwards and I love how she just pops up into canter, no fuss

daydreamer

Visit site
First time with two reins today! We have been working up to this but this is the first time both have been attached at the front end.

Yes it was wobbly, and we both got in a bit of a muddle at times but it was very relaxed and calm and we have go, stop and move the hind end to change direction.

I have chosen to start long reining in a dually as quite a few people say they use them for long reining and I thought they would be more forgiving to begin with. We have had a few little mishaps as I have long reined before but have never taught one to long rein and I am glad I am using the dually not working off a bit.

Duncan is so genuine and so far has taken it all in his stride - even the "oops" moments. I know he would be progressing faster, and with fewer oops moments, with a professional but at the moment he seems happy enough and is being extremely forgiving with me.

I managed to capture today's session on my Pivo so I will review it in full later and then have another go tomorrow.

1st time 2 reins.png

daffy44

Visit site
Sounds great- I love this naive stage too where they just soak up all the new learning no fuss. We need pictures.....

Its a lovely stage, you're quite right, so much fun! I'm afraid i dont have any ridden pictures because I'm always by myself, the best I can do is my hacking view...

Attachments

• Bingo hacking.jpg
    Bingo hacking.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 5