Backing 3/4yr olds

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Little Bean will be 4 next year so thought I better get a bit of a wiggle on ?.

Today was first time saddle and bridle together and she took in her usual laid back attitude. She hasn't had the bridle on for ages as she was teething but they have settled down again.

I will now start doing in-hand contact work and some leaning over.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is that a recent video?! She has a lovely shiny coat for winter, wow.

TheMule

Visit site
Little Bean will be 4 next year so thought I better get a bit of a wiggle on ?.

Today was first time saddle and bridle together and she took in her usual laid back attitude. She hasn't had the bridle on for ages as she was teething but they have settled down again.

I will now start doing in-hand contact work and some leaning over.

She's a lovely type. Exciting times!

Northern

Visit site
Miss Bella has been spelling out in the (very grassy) paddock for the last 10 or so weeks.
She turns 4 in February and our last ride was in the ménage and she did super, so I left it on a good note there and turned her out.
Today I needed a spare horse due to a welcome but unexpected visitor. Pulled her out, saddle on (yay! Managed to get the girth done up), got on, no drama at all.
Went out in the big grassy riding paddock and did our wobbly trots and canters, plus tried to race the TB up the paddock (no surprises the WB lost :D). Very pleased with her attitude and very excited to start working her in earnest when I come back from Europe in January. My horses need to be ridden out from the paddock due to no close facilities, so I am beyond pleased that she needs no lunging or other prep before getting on after a spell. No doubt she will spice up next year, but for now I am very pleased!

My first sit on her was a year ago on Christmas Eve. In that year she's trailered alone out to a ridden lesson, seen plenty of the world through hacks out, has learnt that cantering up a field is fun! Had a session in the ménage with no baulking at all. Next year is baby schooling time, keeping it fun with low key outings and perhaps a few dressage tests. But I'm not too fussed about what we do, I mainly want her to enjoy riding life (and me ;) ).

BTR.JPG

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Joe had his teeth done for the first time this week. Two fell out, so that makes four of his teeth I've got now :) He was a good boy but it was a vet and they insist on sedating. I don't think he needed it, but I couldn't refuse. Ludo definitely didn't need it. I'll try and find a dentist next time.

He's maturing really nicely. I thought he was almost a cob, and might make a maxi cob, but he's getting more streamlined the older he gets and now he's looking to be bang on for what in the old days we'd have called a middleweight hunter.

He's got the shiniest winter coat I've ever seen, without ever being groomed. Still the sweetest character, just such a nice little man.

I'm not riding him now winter is here, he knows enough already and he's going to be mature enough when the weather warms up in spring to crack on with some work. I'm looking forward to it.

TheMule

Visit site
My 2 are due to graduate from this thread soon so this will be one of the last updates.
Nova is back in work now- I stopped riding him at the end of August as he just went a fraction off and had achieved everything I wanted him to at 4, he has since grown nearly 2 inches upwards (and substantially more outwards ?) and feels super now he's back. He'll do lots of long slow strengthening work with the aim to get jumping etc again in February.

E1CD0657-41BD-4DAB-88E4-C6EB31A910AF.jpeg

The mule is going really well. after her dressage debut a few weeks ago she has just got better and better and is turning into a really nice responsive ride. She went for her 2nd beach trip yesterday and took it all in her normal laid back manner. She has a jumping show on the 30th and then she will have a break until mid Feb

DB989463-E66B-46F4-A5CD-2315D435F47A.jpeg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Probably my last update on this thread too since we'll graduate into the 5yos in January.

Isaac went to play xc on the technique arenas at Somerford today. He had an absolute ball and got to finish by doing lots of his favourite thing - jumping into water ?

He's very natural xc - he's efficient over a fence, naturally brave and stays straight to a skinny too.

Do I dare to dream about what might be possible in the future??!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa will be on semi-holiday until we wean Caso in February. I know some people can train and do all sorts of things with mares who have foals at foot, but I am not one of them. I just can't get into the right headspace with Caso and his owner about. I train best when it's a conversation between me and the horse. Caso's owner is a good friend who always means well, but she can't help herself from telling me what to do! And Caso always wants to be the center of attention, so I can't do much with his mom unless he's got a 'playmate'/babysitter. Hermosa won't be four until the end of June. Now that we have passed Basic Handling 101 -- catching, leading, picking up feet, not trying to kill farrier, wearing a rug -- I feel she can chill until February.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Need to go back and read this thread from the beginning and get inspired, at the moment I feel daunted.

3yo mangled his leg last week so is on box rest, bless his little socks he has been a super good boy all things considered but I'm not sure how long the manners will last. it helps that he is now on hospital corner with other boxresters so at least there is essentially nothing changing in the immediate environment. Since moving house he has already had to grow up a bit as although we are on a quiet bit of the yard there are horses coming and going all week. There have been some high jinx in the stable :oops:

He will have to heal up a bit more before we can think about turnout. He has age on his side and the wound is already looking good, we're only 10 days in and there's a good bit of granulation so i am cautiously hoping that the new year will see him getting back out in the field. I shall be enlisting husband and sedalin to make that happen. Husband on the end of the rope, sedalin for me.

then he will have to start school a few months earlier than planned. if the weather gods stay on our side then daily turnout should be doable. i had not planned to have him on the yard until the TO thing was a certainty but there we go, horses don't read the plan do they?!

Today he learned about haynets (he's already better at that than Darcy, who gets flummoxed by a small hole net).
I'm going to chip away at little life lessons while we are stuck inside. He's gone up behind again so looks like he will go over 16hh after all.

Today i thought of a couple of people who might be able to help me with backing him which has reduced my worries slightly, just need to go and ask them :p perhaps some mince pies or something would swing it ;)

Exciting photo:
269452424_5015074571837346_1217871557422786100_n.jpg

windand rain

Visit site
That is roughly where we are with Kitten she does carry tack and has a very light person sat on her once but was then turned away. Her teeth are fine but is having a routine dental but as we have no stable and her default mode was to rear (not done it for months) I thought taking her to the vets to be sedated was wise as it A) will avoid reinforcing the rearing and B) will protect the dentist fron half a ton wearing a metal gag landing on her head. will wean her off sedation over time but for now it is safer all round. I am pretty sure she would be fine but why take the chance more the rearing bit she got double barrelled in her belly when she reared and intended to squash her field mate so I am hoping she has learned that lesson if not grown out of it

Northern

Visit site
Need to go back and read this thread from the beginning and get inspired, at the moment I feel daunted.

3yo mangled his leg last week so is on box rest, bless his little socks he has been a super good boy all things considered but I'm not sure how long the manners will last. it helps that he is now on hospital corner with other boxresters so at least there is essentially nothing changing in the immediate environment. Since moving house he has already had to grow up a bit as although we are on a quiet bit of the yard there are horses coming and going all week. There have been some high jinx in the stable :oops:

He will have to heal up a bit more before we can think about turnout. He has age on his side and the wound is already looking good, we're only 10 days in and there's a good bit of granulation so i am cautiously hoping that the new year will see him getting back out in the field. I shall be enlisting husband and sedalin to make that happen. Husband on the end of the rope, sedalin for me.

then he will have to start school a few months earlier than planned. if the weather gods stay on our side then daily turnout should be doable. i had not planned to have him on the yard until the TO thing was a certainty but there we go, horses don't read the plan do they?!

Today he learned about haynets (he's already better at that than Darcy, who gets flummoxed by a small hole net).
I'm going to chip away at little life lessons while we are stuck inside. He's gone up behind again so looks like he will go over 16hh after all.

Today i thought of a couple of people who might be able to help me with backing him which has reduced my worries slightly, just need to go and ask them :p perhaps some mince pies or something would swing it ;)

Exciting photo:

Having had many horses mince their legs, I hope he heals up quickly for you. Sounds like it didn't affect the joint, which must be a relief for you. Bellas chest wound, although not in as critical an area, has healed up beyond anyones expectations. Young meat heals well apparently! I had a good trusted friend who was happy to help me back my horse, I'm sure others will be more than happy to help you!

maya2008

Visit site
Little fluffy companion pony who had her surprise foal last June, will definitely by 3 by Feb (passport date) and is very likely to be now. She has been at my friend’s yard since the beginning of Dec so we could wean the foal (who is taking the ‘companion’ job for now!). So given we have the facilities, we have started handling and basic groundwork.

She is over the moon to be just herself and not a mum and has grown and put on weight noticeably in just a few weeks. She’s a much happier, friendlier pony to be around now and really enjoys the tiny bits of learning she does. Planning to take it super slowly so she can take over from my daughter’s ageing mare when the time comes. Lots of in-hand walks, long reining, lunging, getting her used to the world and making sure she won’t bat an eyelid at anything when she finally has a little girl on her.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Having had many horses mince their legs, I hope he heals up quickly for you. Sounds like it didn't affect the joint, which must be a relief for you. Bellas chest wound, although not in as critical an area, has healed up beyond anyones expectations. Young meat heals well apparently! I had a good trusted friend who was happy to help me back my horse, I'm sure others will be more than happy to help you!
yeah we were super super lucky. he basically peeled his leg open like a banana, clouted the cannon bone and made a big mess. vet was not optimistic about the tendon sheath but we had some good fortune apparently and he seems to have got away with it. Has been sound throughout. When she came to review on day 3 she said "wow" in a good way which was nice to hear!

there are people around but I'm wanting to find someone to pay because i don't want to be trying to do things with him and find that i have no help when i was expecting it ;) He was incredibly easy to get to the leaning over point, i want to get the next steps right, hopefully he will continue to be easy and then it will be short and sweet.

TheMule

Visit site
Probably my last update on this thread too since we'll graduate into the 5yos in January.

Isaac went to play xc on the technique arenas at Somerford today. He had an absolute ball and got to finish by doing lots of his favourite thing - jumping into water ?

He's very natural xc - he's efficient over a fence, naturally brave and stays straight to a skinny too.

Do I dare to dream about what might be possible in the future??!

What a little star! ⭐

TheMule

Visit site

Exciting photo:

Poor little chap ? for speedy healing.
I started with mine much earlier than I had planned due to the lockdown timing no lovely weather and actually I'm glad I did as everything was then so slow and naturally progressive because I didn’t have a set agenda

daffy44

Visit site
My dreams are longer term than just that ? got to be eternal optimists, right....?

You absolutely do! I think Issac looks amazing, I know I'm a dressage rider now, but I've worked quite a lot with eventers in the past, and honestly there is nothing else that you could wish to see a 4yr old do, so brave, stays on his line, makes it look very easy, and most importantly, looks like hes loving it, dream big.

Mine is also going to graduate next week, he did a polework clinic yesterday and was green, gawpy and fabulous, I'm very happy with his progress, we have a lesson next week, all being well, and then that'll be the 4 yr old done.

daffy44

Visit site

Dont worry, I know it probably sounds silly, but I always feel utterly daunted before I start riding a youngster, I love all the faffing about getting them used to tack, leaning over etc, but when its time to start riding, I feel a total failure before I even start. I think that every other horse I've produced has been a happy accident, and I wont be able to do it again, I think that I probably shouldnt even start, I have no idea why I do this! Once I'm actually on the horse and riding, then I'm absolutely fine, I'm absorbed by learning about the horse, starting the training, and I am happier then a happy thing, but before I get started I'm awful to myself.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
yeah we were super super lucky. he basically peeled his leg open like a banana, clouted the cannon bone and made a big mess. vet was not optimistic about the tendon sheath but we had some good fortune apparently and he seems to have got away with it. Has been sound throughout. When she came to review on day 3 she said "wow" in a good way which was nice to hear!

there are people around but I'm wanting to find someone to pay because i don't want to be trying to do things with him and find that i have no help when i was expecting it ;) He was incredibly easy to get to the leaning over point, i want to get the next steps right, hopefully he will continue to be easy and then it will be short and sweet.
Good news! Fingers crossed speedy healing. Baby Bean (pictured above) ended up with 3 months on box rest for her leg injury. Rather then go crazy she went the other way and now loves her stable and I have to convince her to live outside ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Good news! Fingers crossed speedy healing. Baby Bean (pictured above) ended up with 3 months on box rest for her leg injury. Rather then go crazy she went the other way and now loves her stable and I have to convince her to live outside ?

That's so funny. Isaac also had a short box rest this summer after getting some rope wrapped around his pastern. He likes it inside and seemed quite happy to have a fortnight of duvet days. He still hasn't forgiven me for turning him away into the wet cold fields last winter - it was not to his liking!

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
I have to say I have been very impressed with my little lady in the time she has been here. Was very good for the farrier and had her first walk up to the wash bay for a tail and leg shampoo! Took it all in her stride.

As she was a July baby I'm keen to give her until atleast mid Jan before I start re introducing long lining and any tack.

She also has the dentist coming in the new year to have a look at some wolf teeth and give her a general check overIMG_20211212_172842_420.jpgIMG_20211210_173823_498.jpg