Bad feet....

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a really good product for improving the quality and growth of the hoof?

I was thinking of Formular4feet but have heard mixed things about this stuff???
confused.gif

Thanks

G

KJJ

Visit site
Jaguar had cr@p feet when I first got him... the best thing is get a good farrier .... I have always fed Jags Benevit with is a multivit supp and have added no additional supps for his hooves and his horn quality is 10 times better than when I got him.... my old farrier said do not put ANYTHING on them and reckoned that none of the supplements work anyways... new farrier recommends Keratex to harden hooves.. but that is it.

fairhill

Visit site
I always used farriers formula with my mare who had bad feet - the farrier recommended it, and it did make a much bigger difference than just feeding biotin (her shoes stayed on a lot longer).
The only other thing my farrier recommends is cornecresine (sp?), again it made massive improvements to the horn quality.

sea_view

Visit site
Mt TB had horrendous feet when I got him, shoe wouldn't last 3 weeks and studs for eventing were out of the question. With some serious farrier work and with Blue Chip Lami Lite his hooves are (touch wood) a night and day difference, don't get me wrong far from what I would ever state as perfect but much better. He gets shod every 4 weeks and wears his wellies (over reach boots) every day. x

sally2008

Visit site
I second KJFIT's recommendation to firstly find yourself an excellent farrier.

I expect alot of people will recommend corucresine (sp?) - my farrier is strongly against it's use as although it speeds up growth he says the new horn will be considerably weaker and would rather wait for improvements to show through correct balance and blood supply.

_daisy_

Visit site
Cant recommend Formula4Feet highly enough. Ebi had terrible feet - to the point she would throw shoes left right and centre. 1 month she lost 3 out of the 4 shoes. She was on Farriers Formula for a few years and her feet were crap - what a waste of money.
Shes been on F4F since beginning of 2005 and my farrier says her feet are now brilliant, really good growth & good quality.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Formula 4 Feet!!
Our gelding lost 5 shoes in the first week of having him back in july.
He went straight onto F4F and had kevin bacon's on once a day, he now keeps his shoes easily for 6-7 weeks at a time, and his hooves are growing down really fast and, most importantly, strong!

voltaire

Visit site
good farrier and ensure a healthy balanced diet. I asked a farrier whom I trust this very question a while ago and he insisted that regular trimming / shoeing was all that was needed. Some supplements / oils / stuff harden the hoof, which can make them more prone to cracking.