Bad reaction to sedation.

Geordiegal

Visit site
My horse got sedated for a routine dental today. Within 10 seconds of being jabbed she fell forwards out the stable, fell down 4 times in the yard. Her legs are in tatters and she smashed her head so hard you could see her skull. She crushed me against the wall. The vet called for immediate help and 3 vets on site said they had never seen a reaction like it. She's 9, but new to me. Surely she must have been sedated before (she's had 2 foals!)
The director has called and advised they are reviewing the incident. They've asked for the cctv but the yard advised against sending it, they've advised me to seek legal advice incase the horse continues to be unwell or has adverse reactions from hitting her head so hard.
When I left tonight she was standing and eating her hay, they've stitched her head up. I'm worried about her being alone tonight. I'm just worried in general. I keep watching the video and it's horrendous. She was screaming and she just kept going down really hard and injuring herself.
Has anyone experienced something like this before?
From research it sounds unlikely it went into artery as she didn't seize, she just went fully off her legs, had no balance and eventually collapsed. I'm dizzy my head is spinning and my ribs are so sore. I can't believe one of us didn't end up dead, I know I'm rambling sorry I just need to talk to someone about this ?

Geordiegal

Visit site
Nothing to advise but how frightening for you. A real shock..Hope you both feel better soon.
I can't remember being so frightened in my life. I was trying to get her to stay down and she wouldn't. I thought she had died when she hit her head and fell. I can't sit still, I keep crying, my chest feels tight. I keep watching the video over and over and wondering what happened.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How heavy is the horse? Over reaction to sedative is a well known phenomenon in heavy horses and if the vet did not take account of this you would have a very good case against the vet for negligence.

I had a heavy middleweight cob who could not be given more than half the normal dose of sedative, and even that nearly put him off his feet.

I have also known a normal looking ISH which was extremely sedative reactive and you would not have known if you weren't told, so it does happen I'm afraid.

I'm glad you are just about OK and hope your horse recovers well.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My pb wb had a very alarming reaction to sedation once when the vet attended for x rays. She went very wobbly, pulse weak and thready, vet was very surprised. Fortunately she stayed up and came out of it ok. I remember thinking I was going to lose her. Vet went white ? and told me I was being very calm ?

We never sedated her again other than when she had a GA when the anaesthetist was at great pains to explain the care they would take.

My Welsh D is extremely susceptible to iv sedation, never has a reaction like my other horse but seems unusually affected by it. I always tell them she's a cheap date but even her usual tiny dose seems to be too much as she gets older, last dental appointment she was very very wobbly indeed.

You must have been very worried
I hope your mare makes a speedy recovery.

Geordiegal

Visit site
She's 16hh, about 500lb.
The yard had said if I send the cctv it gives them a chance to come up with theories, and cover their back.
I was game for sending it immediately but they've put doubts in my head a bit. I feel so sick, I just keep hearing the noise and seeing her fall again and again.

Rosie'smum

Visit site
Sounds awful and very scary! Hope both of u recover quickly from your ordeal.
My mare is 14hh and around 480kg she reacts to the tiniest amount of sedation. Once when she was at the vets i had to actually help her move her legs to get her to move. Took ages for her to come round to be able to travel. Good job it was my friends box!
For her xrays on her foot i told them she only needs a bit and they gave her half the amount of the time before but she was still trying to fall over. Felt sorry for my vet as he was having to hold her up while trying to xray!

TheMule

Visit site
She's 16hh, about 500lb.
The yard had said if I send the cctv it gives them a chance to come up with theories, and cover their back.
I was game for sending it immediately but they've put doubts in my head a bit. I feel so sick, I just keep hearing the noise and seeing her fall again and again.

Most likely the vet is not at fault and it was just a rare side effect. Of course you may be able to prove vet negligence if you know that there was a mistake made, in which case you can claim off their insurance. I would send them the CCTV.

SEL

Visit site
I'm another who has a large horse who needs a tiny dose. We also have a horse on the yard whose heart stopped when he was sedated for gelding. They got him back (he's fine) & he was sedated for teeth last year under v careful observation. There were no issues which leads his current vet to speculate the old vet hit an artery or really fkd up the dosage.

Are you insured? I'd speak to your insurance company and ask their advice. Or BHS if you're a good member. Even if you're planning a case against the vets I think you'll have to provide the cctv at some point.

Hope your horse is on the mend. I'm not surprised you're shocked

piglet2001

Visit site
I would not be taking legal advise or action. It seems your horse is up and eating and will be absolutely fine given some time and tlc. Unfortunately there are always risks associated although very rare, just like there are with humans. Your veterinary practice should/will put an alert on your horses history. If you ever change vets make sure to let them know. There are various drugs that can be used to sedate a horse so ask them to use something else next time. I hate this ‘claiming’ world we live in. Sometimes rubbish just happens, vets are real people too, who work incredibly long hours and the ones I have known always try their best. Your vet is probably feeling rather shocked, upset and shaken to.

M&M&G

Visit site
Sorry you had this experience, sounds truly traumatic and hope you are both feeling better today and no long term effects. Bit concerned about you feeling dizzy yesterday, might be the stress but did you hit your head when you were crushed? Might be worth getting checked over yourself. Take care x

Goldenstar

Visit site
You need to take advice from your insurance company .
It sounds like a adverse reaction and doubt the vets have done anything wrong .
You are lucky you are ok and not seriously hurt .
Horses vary enormously in their reaction to sedation it’s something that always interests me some of mine are away with the fairies on a sniff and some take a bucket .
Its an awful thing to happen I hope your mare is ok and recovers well .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would not be taking legal advise or action. It seems your horse is up and eating and will be absolutely fine given some time and tlc. Unfortunately there are always risks associated although very rare,

I hate the claiming culture too, but the risks of over sedation in heavies are not rare.

When my vet stitched up a cut to the eye on my heavy cob she warned me that she was going to give him half a dose but not to stand anywhere that he could fall on me, as it was still a possibility.

As it happens he just about stayed on his feet, but he was more out of it than any other horse I've seen standing sedated.

It does not sound as though this applies to the OP's horse, so I am only writing this for future readers who might have the same issue with a horse where the vet should have known.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I suspect the vets are as shocked by what happened as you are and only want the cctv footage to try and understand what happened.

This sounds like a rare bad reaction and not vet negligence and not something that I personally would pursue.

I hope you're OK. You sound very traumatised. Do speak to your doctor if you feel unwell.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How horrible and scary it's going to be hard to proove that a vet was at fault I don't blame you for wanting to know what the hell went wrong I would be the same.

I had a big warmblood mare that only needed a touch of sedation or she looked like she would fall, one of my Arabs has had enough to put him on the floor and his still alert and steady on his feet.

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
What a worrying experience, did they maybe catch a nerve as well during injection process? I had a horrible experience with the combined buscopan and bute injection and my 16h 1 ID x TB, as soon as he had the injection, he started staggering around and near enough collapsed almost like he was having a heart attack. Vet shoved me out of the stable door and quickly got himself out. Thankfully my boy was ok after a while but I absolutely refused to let him have that injection painkiller ever again.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Our 16.3 heavy cob swayed dangerously after a Shetland pony dose. I now have any sedation done on the lawn in the yard as it's far safer for all concerned.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My Welsh D is extremely susceptible to iv sedation, never has a reaction like my other horse but seems unusually affected by it. I always tell them she's a cheap date but even her usual tiny dose seems to be too much as she gets older, last dental appointment she was very very wobbly indeed.

Mine has a note on his passport from a previous owner that he is allergic to sedivet, having used essentially the same with care it seems that he is actually just very susceptible to it, we've done everything he's ever had done with no more than a quarter dose.

What a nasty experience for you OP.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Just a couple of practical thoughts going forwards:

-can you ask for a follow- up vet visit tomorrow to check your mare is recovering ok? Under the circumstances, I can’t see them objecting.
- might be worth double checking the horse’s heart? I’ve known those with underlying (and sometimes undetected) problems respond badly to sedation.