Badminton 2017

Custard Cream

Visit site
So the new course was revealed yesterday and hailed as a return to the 1970's - lots of big timber structures with less course dressing and 'faff'! I think it looks great. The new app is brilliant with some great commentary from Harry Meade at various fences.

The entry list seems to be changing daily - got my fingers crossed for Ben getting in but looks unlikely and would love Charlotte Brear to get in too.

ihatework

Visit site
Looks like a nice balanced course of bold and technical. Looking forwards to watching how it rides. Also liking the live order draw

Embo

Visit site
Is anyone going this year? I'm going for Dressage & XC days, coming home Sunday morning to then watch the SJ on telly. Can't wait!! Hope the weather is as good as last year :D

Custard Cream

Visit site
I'd forgotten about the live draw - good idea. Do you think it's in response to Ollie Townends outburst last year was it?

conniegirl

Visit site
Does anyone know if they allow mobility scooters round the XC on XC day?

I'm still not able to walk properly after my tumble down the stairs (awaiting operation on my ankle) so the only way i'd be able to do it would be with a scooter.

_EVS_

Visit site
So the new course was revealed yesterday and hailed as a return to the 1970's - lots of big timber structures with less course dressing and 'faff'! I think it looks great. The new app is brilliant with some great commentary from Harry Meade at various fences.

Where is the app? I cant find one on the App Store?

Fidgety

Visit site
Certainly going for one dressage day, might stay over and do the two, so that I can spend some extra time with my daughter who will be there in a work capacity. Then I'm going to spend the whole of the XC glued to the TV :)

LeannePip

Visit site
Some friends and I are going up on the Wednesday for the Grassroot showjumping and XC - this is my aim so want to get an idea of how far off we are and what to expect, will try and get shopping done on this day too. Then going back for XC day with Mum and some other friends to walk round, make any more purchases and then sit and watch the XC on the big screen with a picnic!

ihatework

Visit site
I'd forgotten about the live draw - good idea. Do you think it's in response to Ollie Townends outburst last year was it?

Possibly! I'm so going to chuckle if he is drawn first again :D (on the assumption he is entered, which I haven't actually checked!) I think anything that makes it as commercial as possible is a good thing, so it's a nice added touch.

I'll be there all week

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
will probably tootle over for a day, I've managed to book up Friday and Sunday with other stuff so will prob be an xc day marathon again :D

Course looks good.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm hoping to be going to spectate on XC day, I took my Mum last year & she's keen to go again providing the weather is semi-reasonable. If not, it'll be a day of watching it on the red button.

The course looks great & very big! Hopefully it will be a really good competition :)

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site

I'm still not able to walk properly after my tumble down the stairs (awaiting operation on my ankle) so the only way i'd be able to do it would be with a scooter.

Yes you can hire them there

VRIN

Visit site

You can hire them at the event- they are definitely allowed

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

It's £25/day to hire one at Badminton, which sounds pretty reasonable.
https://www.eventmobility.org.uk/book-your-scooter/badminton-horse-trials

We're thinking of going for one of the dressage days, and coming home to watch the XC on the red button. May take the motorhome, has anyone taken one and parked it in the regular car parking area? It's 7m long, so not huge but not a tiddler either.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm going on dressage Thuursday. I was hoping to go on Xc day too, but I've got to be in Lndon for work at 8am and would have to leave home at 3 am - after getting home from Badminton at 10pm. A bit too much with a 11 hour flight on the Sunday! So will watch it all day hopefully on tv (assuming it's on as usual). I'm consoling myself in the fact that I've got a girl's long weekend trip to Windsor Horse Show the following weekend.

The wait list hasn't moved much this year, has it? They cleared it last year.

Northern

Visit site
So I might actually be able to go to Badminton this year :D I'm in your neck of the woods for four weeks, conveniently at the time Badminton is being run! I thought I would hop over to come and watch XC day. Just a quick question for those in the know, where should I look to get accommodation for 2/3 nights over Badminton week/end? I don't mind driving, will have a hire car, but having never been out of London before, I am looking at the maps scratching my head :p Any help appreciated :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
going Wednesday this year to see the Grassroots :)
Northern - depends what you want to do with the rest of your time. Anywhere between Swindon and Bristol E-W or Bath and Gloucester S-N is under an hour from Badminton so you have plenty of options. Anything in the surrounding villages is likely to be booked up by now.

ihatework

Visit site
So I might actually be able to go to Badminton this year :D I'm in your neck of the woods for four weeks, conveniently at the time Badminton is being run! I thought I would hop over to come and watch XC day. Just a quick question for those in the know, where should I look to get accommodation for 2/3 nights over Badminton week/end? I don't mind driving, will have a hire car, but having never been out of London before, I am looking at the maps scratching my head :p Any help appreciated :)

Depends what you want from your accommodation and how much time you are happy to spend driving in? Most very local places will have booked out yonks ago.
If you want city then Bath or Bristol (Bath is nicer and nearer), if you want nice countryside then there are plenty of options but generally stay north of M4 for ease of XC day access and more Cirencester direction than Gloucester if you want Cotswold charm

Northern

Visit site
going Wednesday this year to see the Grassroots :)
Northern - depends what you want to do with the rest of your time. Anywhere between Swindon and Bristol E-W or Bath and Gloucester S-N is under an hour from Badminton so you have plenty of options. Anything in the surrounding villages is likely to be booked up by now.

Thanks for that Lanky Loll! I don't mind a longer drive at all, was thinking of just going exploring on the other days. Don't particularly want to plan my time to the second, but do want to check out the countryside! I'll check out what you've suggested, thank you :)

Depends what you want from your accommodation and how much time you are happy to spend driving in? Most very local places will have booked out yonks ago.
If you want city then Bath or Bristol (Bath is nicer and nearer), if you want nice countryside then there are plenty of options but generally stay north of M4 for ease of XC day access and more Cirencester direction than Gloucester if you want Cotswold charm

Hi ihatework, thanks for the suggestions :) I don't mind a good drive (we have a lot of roads here in Aus), looks like Bath might be it! Accommodation can be basic, just a bed to crash in for the night.

Northern

Visit site
Worth bearing in mind that some of the city centre hotels in Bath (looking at you Travelodge) don't have parking - just something to check when looking :)

Great thanks! Australia has very liberal parking so I'll definitely keep that in mind :p I am pretty excited though, I have always wanted to check out the English countryside and Shane Rose and Chris Burton are riding at Badminton, will be great watching them somewhere completely different!

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Northern - try The Premier Inn at Blackhorse - about 20 minutes away , less than 10 miles. Two nights looks to be £98.
Premier Inn Emersons Green
WebsiteDirections
70 Google reviews
3-star hotel · 5.2 mi
Address: 200/202 Westerleigh Rd, Emersons Green, Bristol BS16 7AN
Phone: 0871 527 8162
AdsCheck availability
Check in
Thu 4 May
Check out
Sat 6 May
Premierinn.com
£98book action chevronPremierinn.com · Official website
Free Wi-Fi · Kids Eat Free
View more room rates

Embo

Visit site
Stayed in Bath last year and staying there again this year in the same hotel, it's about 30 mins in the car to get to Badminton from the hotel.

Bath is really lovely, would recommend :)

Shazzababs

Visit site
We are camping for the whole weekend as normal. Pitch 457 - Hoping we are out of earshot of Custard Cream's 8 month old (only joking!).
Already got the wine, walking boots and ski jacket (for watching the dressage) ready to go.

My OH is bringing the boy up after school on the Friday and he is coming for the weekend for the first time.